Equal Shares - Cover

Equal Shares

Copyright© 2006 by steveh11

Chapter 4

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 4 - This is a love story, an erotic story, that doesn't feature kids of school or university age; it isn't a coming of age story. This story actually features people who are 'grown up'. It's a slow story, about a man who begins as emotionally dead, but who has the support of a few people who can help him, just enough support. It also tells the story of those around him. New chapters will be posted weekly.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Mult   Romantic   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   DomSub   Safe Sex   Oral Sex   Anal Sex   Masturbation   Slow  

The notice had gone on the board weeks ago — the company barbeque would be held on the grounds on Friday, the 21st of July in the afternoon.

The Firm had a long-standing tradition of a 'summer do.' It had varied in the past from boat trips to a picnic in a park with a jazz band playing, but for the past several years it had been a barbeque, complete with spit-roast pig etc. Also laid on was entertainment — this year there was a live band — and drinks. Taxis would be available to take people home at the end. Another tradition was that people would make their way into the nearest town pub and continue the party there.

Stan was able to watch the large party tent being erected from his office. He told Elizabeth,

"You know, it's so much nicer here than it was at the old place. D'you remember the view we had then?"

Elizabeth smiled, "Yes, the Chicken Factory next door. Ugly as sin and smelly as well."

Elizabeth was watering Bob's plants. They joked that he was trying to build a hedgerow between his office and the outside world, although it wasn't really that bad. Bob was proud of his plants and Elizabeth liked them and enjoyed looking after them.

"I wish I could grow stuff," Stan grumbled. "I must have been born with brown fingers."

"You just don't care enough about it," Elizabeth returned, with a grin.

"If you cared about plants as much as you cared about music, you could grow things. But you always forget to water them, or you put them in the wrong place so they get direct sunlight when they'd thrive on shade, or something..." she said lightly. Stan could tell she was only mostly joking though. He looked back out the window.

"Uh huh. Oh, look. Do you think the Health & Safety people would approve of the way that guy's balancing on the top of the tent?"

Elizabeth looked. She said, "I don't know... Bob? You're the Safety guy. What do you think?

Bob emerged from his office, glanced over and, turning away, said, "I think I will go and get a coffee — I really didn't see that at all!"

The three of them laughed. That was a standing joke every year when the tent was erected... the crew never seemed to take safety precautions. On the other hand, it always seemed to be the same people, so they assumed no accidents occurred!

"Drinks with Denise again last night?" Elizabeth asked.

"Yes, down at the Mitre as usual."

"I'm glad you two have become friends. It means I don't have to look at such a grouch all day."

"Yes, I was pretty bad, wasn't I? Mind you," he went on, "I'm not all that full of the joys of spring now."

"Yes, Stan, I know. Yesterday you hardly said a word; no one could get through to you. Even when Denise came around to confirm for the Mitre you hardly spoke."

"I know. Yesterday was Caron's birthday. She'd have been 41."

'Oh dear, ' Elizabeth thought, 'I'd forgotten.'

"Stan, are you okay?" she tenderly asked.

"I... I think so. Before I went out last night I went to the cemetery, and laid some flowers. Caron didn't mind me going for a drink with Denise, so that was all right."

Elizabeth blinked. There was a lengthy pause, and she was about to say something, when Stan continued,

"Denise and I got on well, actually. She wants me to go on the pub crawl on Friday."

"Well, you always used to!" Elizabeth told him.

"Yes, I know." He paused, then went on in a slightly more quiet tone, "I probably will. Let's see how I feel."

Stan glanced out of the window as a movement caught his eye.

"Christ! I've not seen them do that before!"


Elizabeth waited in the canteen to find Denise.

"Boo!"

"What!? Oh, Denise, you made me jump!" She continued with narrowed eyes: "I'll get you for that!"

"Couldn't resist. You want to grab a table? I'll get the salads."

"Sounds good."

They sat at a table together, and started on their salads. They chatted away for a minute or two.

"How's Harry?" Denise asked.

"Oh! That son of mine. Now he's dating a glamour model. Michelle's nearly young enough to be his daughter, too. I don't know how he does it," Elizabeth answered, affectionately. "She's certainly keeping him hopping, from what he tells me."

"Sounds like it! What is he, nearly 40?"

"He's 39, and he'll insist on it if you ask him!" Elizabeth grinned. "My Kelly's 37 now, still hasn't settled down either. She's off to Amsterdam with some of her friends to visit my sister next week."

"Going to bring back anything... special?" Denise asked slyly.

"I really don't think so! I never brought her up that way, honest!" They both dissolved in giggles. Denise knew about Elizabeth's past as a 'child of the sixties' — she'd been in her mid twenties when things were 'happening', and had been a full part of the lifestyle. This after being a 'Mod', before meeting her 'Rocker' future husband. Denise had told her that, "It sounds like something out of Quadrophenia."

Elizabeth went on, "That daughter of mine! She's such a trial. A bit wild, as they say, partying hard, never looked like she'd settle down. Kelly always liked Stan, but he was always so married. She liked Caron, too," Elizabeth continued. "Kelly thought they were perfect for one another. I caught her looking wistfully at Stan & Caron a couple of times, though. I think she envied that pair their close, stable relationship, especially when she compared it to her own life."

Elizabeth took a breath, before going on, "Sadly, when Caron died, she took it hard. She dumped her boyfriend and took off on another round of parties, with a different partner every couple of weeks. Thankfully I've been able to talk to her, and she's found herself a nice guy — he's an Estate Agent, but he's a good man."

"Well, that must be a weight off your mind," Denise said.

"Yes, it was, but I've always believed in Kelly, I always thought she'd come around. It even took me a long time to settle down: after I married George, he and I were, shall we say, adventurous in our relationship," she said with a wink at Denise, "so I can't really complain about Kelly overmuch."

Denise turned serious. "You know yesterday would have been Caron's birthday."

"Yes, Stan said. He visited her grave, of course."

"Yes, I know, he told me. He said he spoke to her."

"Did he say what she said?" Elizabeth asked.

"Not really, just that he'd spoken to her. I suppose that's pretty much what everyone does in a situation like that."

"It is. I still speak to George, after all this time, when I visit him. Well..." she said, a little gruffly, "Stan told me that Caron had said she was fine with you and him going for a drink, so I suppose you've got permission from her for that!"

"Good! Let's see if I can get him to really relax tomorrow — especially tomorrow night!"


It was Friday afternoon, and not much work had been done during the morning — just the usual urgent items, and tidying of desks, that sort of thing. By half past twelve the first people started walking across the lawn, and by one o'clock just about everyone was in, or just outside, the party tent

The tent was a large affair, about 75' by 25', with two 'peaks' where the main support poles were. It shone brilliant white in the sunshine, with plastic tables and chairs set up outside and benches inside, a small area set aside for the band to use as a stage, and another cleared for dancing. Not that Stan had any intention of dancing himself, but he did like to watch, and he enjoyed listening to the live band. There was a crowd around the bar at the back, as usual manned by one of the directors, and food was served, buffet style, on the right where people were also gathering.

It was a hot, dry day, and the drinks were flowing already. These events were intended as mixers, to reduce the 'Us and Them' mentality that you get when people stick to their own departments, and they worked well. Stan was well used to them; his job in Quality meant he was used to working with all the departments, and the people were all colleagues he knew.

Denise, too, by nature of her job, had a similar advantage, and they drifted together, going from group to group, saying "Hi!" and generally chewing the fat.

"Hey, don't you make quite the pair?" It was Elaine, with a broad smile.

[paragraph]

"I guess we do, don't we?" replied Denise.

Stan, too, was grinning. "Just so long as people don't leap to conclusions, unless those conclusions include a collection, of course... " he ended his remark with a raised eyebrow.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.