New Wings for A Gem
Chapter 5: Union of Peace

Copyright© 2006 by mischievious she puck

Taking Cole's shoulder in her talons, she shook him gently. "Cole you must wake up. Your companion is healed, and strong again."

Her lips curled into an unusual smirk. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes he rolled over to look at who had spoken. Viola was standing over him. Her muscular frame and feathers of black and scarlet were casting a large monster looking shadow on the wall behind her.

Momentarily forgetting where he was, he stood quickly. He had tripped over the bed opposite his, but managed to catch himself before toppling upon the mattress of hides. Viola grinned at his clumsy action as she turned to wake Ebony. Regaining his balance reality returned suddenly, and he was anxious to check up on his brother.

Dashing around the beds and to Ebony's side, Cole was feeling rejuvenated after his long nap. Looking down on him he smiled into the reflection of himself in his large green eye. The griffin managed to smile. Unknowing how one could smile with a beak, but he did. Lifting himself up to his elbows, he raised his head to look about the cavern.

"Where is this, Cole?" His voice was low and hoarse from the miracle concoction that Viola had created.

It was said that it could heal any wound hidden from the eye. She was very skilled in science and in the healing powers of an unknown source.

Cole answered, "We are in the keep of the Harpee, Mistress Viola."

His thoughts were then brought to the attention of payment. How was he going to pay her for saving his brother? Maybe I should ask Drake. He seemed to know a lot about these matters.

Standing to his feet, he made his way across the open floor to see Drake. He was slick with water and the oils that secreted from his pores. He confronted him with his question.

"Drake," his voice was dry from his sleep, " how is it that we are supposed to repay Viola? I have nothing of value. Perhaps you know what she would accept."

The merman grinned.

"I had worked it all out with her while you slept."

Cole raised an eyebrow, wondering what the agreement was. Intrigued he inquired to know what they worked out. Raising his voice again he opened his mouth to ask, but his throat was still dry and a small screech came out. Covering his gape with his hand, he was a bit embarrassed.

Drake grinned. Understanding what he was about to be asked he answered, "I know what you wish to know. The merfolk and the harpees have been at war for as long as I can remember. The needs of healing are of neutral territory, where we help one another at a price."

He stopped and looked past Cole to watch Viola help ebony to his feet.

"I have paid for your griffin's treatment with my hand in marriage. With the union of Viola and me a treaty will be drawn up and peace will come to our people."

Cole bowed low to Drake in thanks, but Drake held him by the shoulder and pulled him into a hug. Patting him on the back happily.

"I thank you!" His eyes were truly grateful.

This made Cole feel great. He was able help two different races work out their differences and finally be at peace. In return they healed Ebony and offered their hands in friendship. This was an interesting experience.

"I now thank you for all that you have done for us." Cole wetted his cracked lips with the tip of his tongue.

Ebony was now on his feet and could move as he normally did. He came over to Cole and Drake, draping his heavy chin over Cole's shoulder. Cole grunted softly at the weight as it pulled him over.

This tugging reminded him of Helice's warning of a temptress who sang a song of seduction and death. He thought to himself. Should I ask them if they know of such a creature? He patted Ebony's wide feathery brow and looked to Drake.

"I have another question I was hoping you had the answer to."

He smiled and spoke quite openly, "Whatever it is that has a hold of your thoughts, please tell me."

Cole started in at that notion, "I was wanting to know about a creature that haunts men with her luring song."

Drake's face lost its glow. He turned from the question and brushed past Cole. Ebony whispered into his ear. He wanted to know what Cole had asked. Ebony was daydreaming like he often had done when they were kids. Cole just shrugged his shoulders and went to ask Viola. Ebony followed him not wanting to be left alone. The harpees that were hanging around frightened him: even though he was three times their size.

Calling out as he walked, he let himself be known.

"Viola! Viola I have a question for you." Cole stopped at her piercing gaze. She looked through him again searching for his question. Then her eyes met his and she spoke.

"Yes?" her voice was sharp.

Stepping toward her, he braved through her intimidation acts.

"Could you tell me of the songs that carries on the circling winds and kills?"

She lowered her eyes then raised them again. Stammering on her words she seemed reluctant and scared. She met his eyes and began to confess all that she knew.

"I... I do know about this song of death." She took Cole by the hand. His was small in hers and much more dangerous looking.

"Come I'll show you what I know."

She led him to her private library. It was another cavern that was joined by a hall with a low ceiling. The walls were lined, floor to ceiling with large leather bound books. In the middle of the room was a large circular couch of dark red velvet and brass.

She held out her hand offering Cole a seat. He sat and watched her as she moved about the shelves. Holding a hand next to her lips as she ran her other over the spines of the books. She looked hard at the characters written on the crude leather searching for one.

Five minutes have passed, and Cole's gaze went wandering around the dim room. He spotted a candle sitting on a small table. He stood and went to the table and took the candle in his hand. He drew out his sword, Torch, and touched its blade to the wick, lighting the candle. Cole then walked over to where the harpee was feverously searching, and held the light over her shoulder.

She turned back to look at him over her shoulder. She smiled and went back to looking for that one book. Cole felt good inside for the silent thanks that he had received. Her long talon ended on a book of lore. She smirked at her success, of course the kind light aided in her find. She pulled it off the shelf, and when it slid into her arms she grunted and slumped slightly at the weight of it. She took it to the couch and plopped it on the velvet cushion.

Cole's eyes were watching in curiosity as she wrestled with the iron bindings. Viola finally got it unlocked and it creaked as she opened its leather cover. On the old parchments was beautiful calligraphy and inked drawings. Slowly she flipped from page to page.

"I know it's in here somewhere. All about the song of death and the one who sings it is in this book of lore."

She turned the page once more and she gasped pointing at the chapter's title, the sirens. She turned the book to face Cole.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.