New Wings for A Gem - Cover

New Wings for A Gem

Copyright© 2006 by mischievious she puck

Chapter 3: Song Of Warning

The morning light shown on the empty beds as Ebony raised his head and yawned big to greet the day. Looking around the room he could see that he was alone. He stood and stretched as far as his body would allow. Then leapt down from the bed. He made his way down the stairs when he caught the scent of breakfast. Helice was frying slabs of ham and eggs as Athros pulled a loaf of bread from a large cast iron stove.

Cole stoked the fire then went outside to bring in another armload of cherry. "Look who's finally awake! Sleep well my little friend?"

Helice looked over his shoulder at the sleepy k-9 as he walked over to the fire. He barked softly at the question and settled beside Cole. He loved watching Cole fool around with fire. He always had a serious look on his face when he was around a fire. Almost like he was remembering something and didn't want to. Ebony laid his head in his lap and gazed up at him. Cole never took his eyes off the blaze as he patted the wolf's head.

"Hungry?" Athros' voice carried well in the log house.

Ebony's head immediately turned at the sound of food. He was still stuffed from the previous night, but he couldn't possibly pass up good food. Jumping to his feet he darted through the living space to the kitchen. Sitting at Helice's feet he watched and waited patiently. Cole then entered. He had streaks of soot on his face and on his bare chest. He leaned up against the counter. Helice looked up at him and chuckled. Giving a confused look, Cole was unaware of what had tickled this giant of a man. He tossed a steaming towel to him.

Cole shot him a glare, but Athros turned and smiled. "You know that you got a little friendly with the hearth and the fire you were building?"

Helice was all grins as he flipped the frying meat. Still confused he shrugged. Athros motioned at his face and chest. Turning to the water basin behind him, Cole looked into the tub. There his reflection showed what all the fuss was about. A large handprint wiped across his forehead and down one side of his face, and another couple prints on his chest. Taking the towel in one hand he wiped it clean from his battered skin.

Helice was studying Cole's tattoo. He had never seen such fine ink work in all his years. When the towel passed over the golden eye it blinked. He was astonished and didn't believe what he had just witnessed. Did the tattoo blink when he touched it? Nah, couldn't be. His thoughts started to revolve around the intricate design, till he mustered up the courage to confront the matter and just ask.

"Cole?" his voice almost cracked.

"Yeah?" answering as he finished cleansing himself.

Stepping forward he asked his question that's been prodding his mind for several minuets now. "That tattoo you've got there", he cleared his throat. "This might come off as a tad crazy. But I just saw your dragon there blink it's own eye, or is my age catching up with me? "

Athros stepped in, "If you are worried about your age, why don't you tell us how old you really are?"

Helice turned and smiled proudly, "I'm 78 yrs old!"

Athros and Cole gave him a shocked blank stare. "But you don't look a day over 35!" Athros rang out.

Letting out a grand laugh, Helice grinned baring rows of strong white teeth. "I have secrets too you know. Speaking of which, I'm rather curious about that dragon mark you bear."

Cole looked down at his chest. Stroking it lightly he felt a warm prideful feeling welling up. He smirked and raised his head. "Her name is Ardeo. Would you care to meet her?"

The bear froze, "But she is merely ink and of your flesh!"

Looking back down at Ardeo he smiled. "Yes she his ink and is most definitely of my flesh, but she has her own flesh and blood."

Running his hand over her eye again it blinked, showing Helice that he spoke the truth. "Hurray! I'm not senile." He threw up his arms and hugged everyone in his joyful grasp.

Athros felt his back pop as he was crushed in a loving matter by one very excited bear. His arms pinned at his sides he couldn't pull away. Cole smiled and laughed along with Helice. Ebony barking from the floor, wagged his tail energetically.

With a forced breath Athros managed to speak, his voice strained. "We'd best go out side for this. Don't want to put your home in ruins."

His face tured another shade of pink, his red eyes squeezed shut. He let them down and dashed out the door like a child that just got word of a present waiting. They filed out to the courtyard, where Helice had built a gazebo type structure complete with table and chairs. Cole lifted his arms and closed his eyes. The sun was warm and pleasing to his skin. The wind gently brushed back his hair as he breathed in deeply.

"Wake up Ardeo, my sweet," he sang.

The eye closed and the head lifted from his skin looking around. Shaking off her sleep she detached from Cole's toned body. Uncoiling her limbs from his and stepping down to the ground, she grew larger. Now standing at Helice's feet his face lit up and the expression was priceless.

"WOW! I've only read about such things in my library."

He blushed when Ardeo looked at him then shied away. It was odd. A dragon feeling intimidated by a mere human. Placing a hand on her head Cole encouraged her that he was no threat. With that she sprang back into her usual self. Ready to play she leapt about waiting for some one to join in on her fun. The magi stepped forward and put both hands together over his head. Then pulling them to his belly he cupped a ball of light. It was so intense that it became a solid ball.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.