The Angry Whore - Book 2
Chapter 14: Henry Morgan

Copyright© 2006 by POL

21 January, 1687 Afternoon

Several of the crew went ashore and they were immediately beset by questioning buccaneers, it was from their very questions that they gathered exactly how matters stood, and they perceived that Port Royal was taking a turn at becoming a more lawful English port. Apparently a good number of upstanding citizens disliked the reputation the city had acquired, and so Henry Morgan, having obtained from the crown several new city defenses, declared that pirates no longer needed to defend the city and on January 1st of that year all of Jamaica passed anti-piracy laws, and instead of being a safe haven for pirates, Port Royal now wished to be noted as their place of execution, however the selling of slaves was still considered big business and was taking on even greater an importance what with the flow of pirate monies decelerating.

They also learned that three weeks past a stately ship with a very unusual figurehead depicting a boy riding atop a dolphin had been allowed to sail leisurely into the bay of Tortuga under false colors but which had turned out to be a Spanish privateer coming to teach the French a sharp lesson which they should remember. The Spanish captain had chosen a moment when there were no ships of war at anchor in Tortuga Bay and he had succeeded so well in his intentions that he had aroused no suspicion until he saluted the fort at short range with a broadside of twenty guns. Then desiring a measure of something even more to invest his vengeance, and as the frightened townsmen and women beheld the great ship creep forward under the rising cloud of smoke, her mainsail unfurled to increase her steering way, and go about close-hauled to bring her larboard guns to bear upon the defenseless town, and with the crashing roar of several broadsides the Spanish privateer Captain killed scores of innocent citizens before turning his ship about and sailing away unmolested. The townsmen looked on, between relief at this departure of their remorseless enemy, and despair at the wild ravages which, temporarily at least, had wrecked the prosperity and happiness of that colony.

The Spaniards had once again shown themselves without mercy or sentiment or decency of any kind, stuffed with religion, they were without a spark of that Christianity, and this unprovoked and malicious attack had the affect of opening Tortuga's harbor to Pirate vessels for protection. Tortuga it would seem would take Port Royal's station as the Sodom of the New World and began to populate itself with pirates, cut-throats, whores and others of the vilest persons in the whole of the world.

"Well," Scarlet commented to the others, "With Port Royal becoming law-abiding and Henry Morgan once again mixed in the city's assorted politics it may not sit well for the Maidens Revenge should he learn I'm aboard, what with the history he and I have together."

"And it will without doubt have a dramatic affect on how we are able to deal with Lucian Blanchart as well." Constance commented.

"Indeed," Carmen agreed, "Better that we return to the Maidens Revenge and revisit our plans. Henry Morgan is one person it is best not to aggravate."

They returned to the Maidens Revenge and were in the process of gathering together when Jon informed them of a jolly-boat approaching.

The jolly-boat that had approached from the shore came scraping and bumping against the great hull of the Maidens Revenge, and a harsh voice sent up a hailing shout.

"Aye?" Scarlet called down to the single man now standing up in the Jolly-boat.

"I ave a letter ere for the Captain of the Maidens Revenge," The man called up.

Scarlet dropped the ladder allowing the man to scramble up, and then after he had turned the paper over to Scarlet he scrambled back down and slowly rowed away.

"A note for you from the lieutenant-Governor," Scarlet said as he walked over to Carmen and handed her the folded sheet.

Carmen broke the seal, and read. Felipe leaned against the rail and watched her, unmistakable concern imprinted on his fair, frank face.

Carmen uttered a short laugh, and curled her lip. "It is an authoritative summons," she said, and passed the note to Scarlet.

Scarlet's blue eyes skimmed it, with Constance and Claire reading over his shoulders. Thoughtfully he stroked his small goat-tee, "This says Morgan is lieutenant-Governor..."

"You'll not go? What if it has something to do with Scarlet?" Felipe interjected, between question and assertion.

"What choice have I? This invitation is from Henry Morgan himself. And even if he were not the lieutenant-Governor of Jamaica, one does not openly rebuff Sir Henry Morgan. Moreover, the likelihood of it concerning Jack is thin indeed."

"You're right Captain. Were it me Morgan wanted to offer discordant trouble too he would not have sent an invitation to the Captain of the Maidens Revenge. That is not his style." Scarlet commented.

"That may well be," Claire voiced with determination, "But Felipe makes a good point. If you do go, it should not be alone!"

"What can he do Clair?" Carmen interrupted carelessly. "Shall I be in greater danger ashore than aboard, between the fort there, and the fleet beyond, there is little hope of the Maidens Revenge slipping out of this harbor should Morgan not allow it."

Felipe clenched his hands. "Why did we have to sail here?" he cried, with a touch of bitterness. "Blanchart is not worth it! We should have seen the danger."

"How were we to know the tide had changed so drastically here in Port Royal in such short a time Felipe?" Carmen answered the concerned young man, "And could I in honesty have not sailed here had I known? It is all part of the devils bargain in dealing with Lucian Blanchart I presume. Can you not understand that?"

And as Felipe did not answer her she added, "I will go see Henry Morgan, but as suggested I will not go alone. I believe the three other slaves that helped take this very vessel and steal it away from this very harbor shall go with me," she said, and shrugged. "Scarlet you, Diego and the others position the Maiden such that she can fire upon the fort if needed, and then ready yourselves to retreat in a hurry should we find ourselves in any trouble."

"If Constance goes, so shall I go and Morgan be damned!" Scarlet alleged with authority in his voice.

"And I!" said both Felipe and Diego as in one voice.

"I am more than capable of taking care of myself Jack!" Constance rebuffed.

"I understand that... it's just..." Jack began.

"No arguments gentlemen!" Carmen snapped, and then in a more genteel tone she added, "Please, we will be counting on all of you to be ready with aid should we need it. Besides, you should know by now that even the great Henry Morgan might find us not quite so easy to grasp as he imagines should that be his design, which I doubt much."

Scarlet answered with an oath, "As you say Captain, but Aba, Cog and the others can handle the ship and her guns, I at the very least will be ashore, well armed and ready at a moments notice."

"Very well, perhaps it would not be such a bad idea if both you and Felipe were to stand ready ashore." Carmen agreed.

"Captain..." Diego began to take argument.

"You are needed here Diego." Carmen insisted, "See to pounding that fort into rubble should there be the need. That is the most preeminent way you can protect your Clair, I assure you. Now, if you will, see to lowering a long boat for us while we ready ourselves."

Diego reluctantly nodded agreement and then after the women had dressed and armed themselves and were about to depart, and just as Claire was going over the side to climb down into the waiting long-boat, he kissed her passionately before instructing her to take all concern and return to him safely.

After the long-boat had made shore and the women had disembarked Scarlet took Constance into his arms, "If anything should happen to you, Constance..." Scarlet said leaving the sentence unfinished as he hugged her close before she could walk away.

"And what should be happening to me, Jack? Sure, now, just as Carmen said, there will be no trouble and we'll be back for dinner." Then she kissed him lightly upon the lips before rushing ahead to join the other women.

"All caution," Felipe called after them.

The women came to the fort and stepped on to the narrow mole, in the shadow of the shallow outer wall of the garrison through whose crenels were thrust the black noses of its heavy guns.

Walking leisurely, they skirted the embattled wall, and passed through the great gates into the courtyard. Half-a-dozen soldiers lounged there, and in the shadow cast by the wall, a sturdy, black-browed commander with a deal of gold lace about the breast of his coat was slowly pacing. He stopped short at sight of Carmen, and the other three women and then saluted them, "Captain O' Daire?" He asked.

"Yes, I am Captain O' Daire." Carmen answered.

The soldiers snapped to attention but none made any attempt to disarm the women.

"Captain Morgan is expecting you. If you will," The commander said extending his left arm out to their right.

Their eyes followed the commander's outstretched hand and they saw a spacious garden, beyond which rose the white house which was the residence of the Governor. In that garden's main avenue, which was fringed with palm and sandalwood, the women caught sight of whom, by his dress, they presumed to be Henry Morgan seated alone upon a bench.

The women approached then stood silently before the world renowned privateer and knight of the royal crown.

Henry Morgan widely known to be one of the most ruthless of privateers, whose daring, brutality, and intelligence had made him the most feared, and respected buccaneer that ever sailed the Spanish Main and had earned him the title of king of all pirates, looked anything but any of that at the moment.

When he stood to greet them they saw he was not a big man, but rather he was broad and of medium height, dark, with a noticeable paunch, and in the glaring afternoon, his face looked haggard with fatigue and older than his 52 years.

"Ah, Captain Carmen O' Daire and crew of the celebrated Maidens Revenge, I have never deemed Jamaica the earthly mirror of heaven, but I love this little island and I thank you for visiting her and I welcome you." He addressed them in a voice that sounded much stronger than his posture would have suggested.

"It is much to our honor to meet you Lieutenant-Governor Morgan. Your many exploits in the name of the crown are nothing less than legendary." Carmen returned his greeting with a smile while extending her hand.

Morgan took Carmen's hand and shook it. His grip, like his voice was much stronger than she had expected.

"Oh, please forgive me my little deception on the invitation seal. In truth I am no longer Lieutenant-Governor of Jamaica and haven't been for a number of years. Although many still think of me as such, and some even insist on addressing me with the title though I've done little lately or than manage my sugar plantations. Oh, a few years past, the then Governor to Jamaica sought to have me re-elected as Lieutenant-Governor, however the attempt failed, though I was given a seat on the island's Council which I still hold to this day."

"I see..." Carmen nodded

"Please, will you sit?" Morgan invited them, and spread a hand towards two benches located across the narrow walking path from the one which he had previously been seated at. After the women had seated themselves he then also sat down before continuing, "Doubtless you have curiosities concerning my invitation, and I will soon come to that, but first, please do tell me if in fact all the accounts I have heard of the Maidens Revenge are to be believed."

"Perhaps if you would be kind enough to recount such things that you have heard we will be more capable to confirm or not Sir Morgan." Carmen answered not wishing to disclose anything that might place them in jeopardy.

"Ha," Morgan laughed, "Both cautious and cleaver. Well, that is one thing I have heard which has now been confirmed. Another is that the Maidens Revenge is Captained and crewed by the most handsome women of all time, and that too has been confirmed by my very eyes."

All four women blushed.

"Other accounts say that but four of you bested a goodly number of cutthroats on watch and then made away with a Schooner from this very harbor. That you single handedly defeated two well armed and well manned ships in a sea-fight, and later defeated yet another armed craft at sea and sent the well renowned pirate Captain Bloody Bass to his maker..."

"Ah..." Carmen began but Morgan stopped her with a wave of his hand.

"Please, a moment before you respond, to be sure, there is more," he continued, "It is also said that your lone ship not only defeated six other vessels out on the hunt for you, but that you also sent one hundred and fifty veteran cutthroat would be borders to Davy Jones. Yet through all this you showed compassion and offered mercy to those who would have seen you dead, and that you have the repute of making war like gentlemen, or gentlewomen as the case may be."

With that he sat in silence while looking expectantly at Carmen.

Carmen looked at Morgan and not having detected any vindictiveness in his countenance she elected to be forthright. "For the greater part," Carmen told him, "what you have heard is factual, however, the number of those killed, and the means by which the six ships employed to hunt us down were defeated has been embellished somewhat."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.