The Angry Whore - Book 2
Chapter 13: A New Plantation

Copyright© 2006 by POL

08 January, 1687 Morning

After Rauf Denkton had been introduced to John Archdale and he had turned over such papers as was instructed for him to deliver, Archdale shook his hand with gratitude and told him, "I have long yearned for a full train of evidence against Seth Sothel such as this. This evidence being full and particular against him, he and the others will, with out doubt, be found to be guilty."

Then he smiled before continuing, "The papers you brought transferring ownership of the Blanchart plantation, though interesting, are not in actuality needed in this case. You see, Mr. Denkton, as the sea log clearly shows Lucian Blanchart having participated in piracy and by the civil institutions of nations, ships or goods taken from pirates become the property of those who retake them. Piracy is every where pursued and punished with death, and pirates can gain no rights by conquest. It is of no importance, for the purpose of giving jurisdiction in cases of piracy, on whom or where a piratical offence is committed. A pirate who is one by the law of nations, may be tried and punished in any country where he may be found, for he is reputed to be out of the protection of all laws."

Finally he told Denkton, "There is not the need for me to ask your ships business sir, for I have heard much concerning the Maidens Revenge and her crew. I consider them to be adventurers and buccaneers destined to different ports, and it is for their accomplishments of good service they shall always find a welcome port in this province for so long as I am governor."

Plans for the reconstructed slave quarters were drawn up two days later consisting of several 18 x 32 feet, two story stone duplexes covered with wood, which would house a family on each side. They were arranged in opposing straight lines, giving the appearance of a small village. The spacing between the buildings was to be 50 feet and construction would be such that they looked a part of the immediate landscape and of the main house and, as such, would be much more attractive and would offer much more comfort than the former slave quarters. Brick chimneys would be used both to improve their appearance and to afford the occupants warmth during the winter months. These dwellings were planned within convenient access of a large garden, smokehouse, meathouse, laundry, and large schooling building.

Though they would enjoy the better living conditions, freedom for the Plantation slaves was accompanied by frightening uncertainties because the life of servitude was so deeply imbedded, until through numerous discussion with Aba, Denkton, Lomasi and all the other crew members they came to understand that the goal was not to turn them out but to allow them to continue with normal plantation labor yet to do so under much better conditions with a sense that they in fact were working toward their own self reliance, and through education would come the opportunity to work their way up and out of the labor class. One way to accomplish this was to distribute lands when individuals or families were suitably equipped, and by expanding their educational opportunities by initially training black teachers who would in turn teach the other blacks.

A week later the two guardsmen were paid wages and sent on their way and construction of the new slave housing began. Both Chapman and Penrose took on the new Plantation charter with what seemed to be eager enthusiasm and it was at Chapman's advice, which was agreed to, that any changes taking place with regard to the Plantation's slave disposition, which included the goal to eventually manumit them, would be done without the knowledge of the general populace for fear of reprisal, so integral was the region's economy tied to slavery.

Several days passed and with their funds having already been stowed aboard, and their ship completely re-supplied the crew of the Maidens Revenge was ready to depart and set out in search of Lucian Blanchart, with their first port of call Port Royal. Although a number of their crew had escaped Port Royal as slaves, what with the demise of Captain Shadrach 'Bloody' Basingstoke, and word of the Maidens Revenge having spread far and wide, they feared little that anyone would doubt they had earned their freedom, and they should find Port Royal to be a safe harbor.

Ample funding, beyond the promised De Droom commission, was given to Denkton to cover all housing construction costs and to manage the Plantation for some time to come.

As the crew departed the girl Jack Scarlet had seen getting raped ran over to him and cried out, "Thank you master!" and she fell to her knees before him. He motioned for her to rise. "Don't kneel to me child. I am not your master," he told her. "No one is your master now."

After she had risen he kneed down so he could look directly into her dark eyes and he asked, "What is your name child?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.