The Angry Whore - Book 2
Chapter 12: The Iron Door

Copyright© 2006 by POL

28 December, 1686 Morning

Felipe, Cog, Lomasi and Penrose remained at the plantation while all others including the two guardsmen returned to the Maidens Revenge, then after having secured the guardsmen below decks the rest established themselves about the mess table aboard the Maidens Revenge to consult matters of their common objective.

Scarlet describe how it was that he had come to dispatch the two guardsmen, and the desperate circumstances and sentiment of the black slaves he had encountered, including describing the dilemma associated with his offer of setting them free.

"I promised a little girl I would help arrange a better life for her future, and I truly intend to do everything within reason in accordance with that promise," Jack told the collected group with passion.

Constance patted Scarlet's hand offering her support to his noble cause.

"Have you given any consideration to how you might accomplish such a worthy task?" Denkton asked the handsome privateer.

"Why, I would... I would first give them improved housing with separate bed chambers, and more comfortable bedding and the like, better groceries and... and education, I would school them to read and write, and... and then I would set them all down as free black's in the plantation's papers, just as Aba is even now set down in the Maidens Revenge's logbook."

"I'm afraid it is quite different on land than on the sea Mister Scarlet," Denkton explained. "The earliest African arrivals were viewed the same way as indentured servants from Europe, but this similarity did not long continue. There are now very clear differences in the treatment of black and white servants. Why even a 1662 Virginia law assumed Africans would remain servants for life, and then a 1667 act declared that Baptism does not alter the condition of the person as to his bondage or freedom which only made it worse. Blacks are forbidden to carry any arms or to gather in numbers except in the presence of a white person. Free blacks, are confronted with attitudes and actions that differ little from those that are slaves."

"Are you saying there is nothing to be done then?" Jack asked.

"Not at all," Denkton responded, "If a freed black were to have proof of gainful employ, why then, things could be quite different."

"And how does one go about obtaining this proof of gainful employ?"

"Well, for example, supposing a land owner that also owns a slave was to pass, and by his will he gave a cow or two, and a few barrels of planting corn, along with the right to farm a small plot of his land for life, well then, that would be considered gainful employ."

"By virtue of a will alone then?"

"Not necessarily, I suppose a yet living slave owner could also draw up the necessary papers to accomplish this same end providing a means of self sufficiency for the freed slave was employed."

"Living or dead, I see little hope of Blanchart ever doing either one!" Claire interjected.

Denkton became shut up in his own thoughts, then finally he said, "Well, I'm not at all objectionable to relocating my shipping business here in North Carolina, and providing Lucian Blanchart were in no position to interfere, why I would gladly oversee to the charge of better living conditions and education of the black's in your stead Mr. Scarlet."

"You would do that?" Constance asked him.

"Why not? I believe there is just as much, if not more profit to be made in shipping here in the America's as there is abroad." Denkton answered.

Carmen who had been listened intently, and then having a thought of her own asked the red headed man, "Have you any papers from Blanchart indicating payment for use of your vessel?"

"Indeed I have," he responded, "I wouldn't conduct any business without such."

"Might I have a glance?"

"Of course," said Denkton and he withdrew a folded piece of paper from his pocket and laid it before Carmen on the table.

Carmen took several moments reading over the note, and then she said under her breath, "There just might be a way." Then looking up at Denkton she said, "Well, it will amount to this... if there is a way for you to conduct your business out of Edentown what of commitments in your home port... and the matter of your sister yet there?"

"Ha," Denkton answered with a laugh, "My sister is a very clever and resourceful woman and has by this time already managed to collect her dues likely as not. And as too commitments, other than to my crew and Captain Sandhurst here, other matters can be easily arranged."

Carmen nodded and then turning to Claire who was seated nearest the doorway asked, "Clair, would you please mind to go and fetch Mr. Chapman."

"Not at all," Claire responded and then she got up from her seat and promptly exited.

Moments later Claire with Chapman in tow returned.

"Mister Chapman," Carmen began as she pushed Blanchart's promissory note in front of him after he had taken a seat, "Using this note I would like you to file legal documents transferring Blanchart's plantation, slaves and any other associated items to Mr. Rauf Denkton."

Chapman reviewed the note and then looking up he said, "You realize Captain that lawyers in the America's are despised and the legal profession itself is prohibited in many courts. Why, both Virginia and Connecticut have written laws prohibiting lawyers from the courts."

"That may be as it is, but do not exhaust my patience Mr. Chapman, legal accountants are not treated nearly so harshly, and you, as Blanchart's legal accountant will use this note to draw up papers confirming the change of ownership which when filed will be both legal and binding. Is that not correct?"

Chapman flinched with dread, "Well, yes they would be legal, and I suppose I could..."

"Not suppose sir." Carmen interrupted him. "Having come to believe you to be a fellow of more cunning than courage I wager you will agree, after which time you will be set at liberty, or you may, if you so desire, remain on as plantation manager, providing of course that Mr. Denkton as the new owner has not an issue."

"None," Denkton remarked with a hard look at Chapman.

Chapman having here to fore being under a great deal of apprehension, knowing that his life, among these treacherous pirates, depended on a hair, and now for the first time having heard the Captain mentioned the word liberty, and that he might yet escape this adventure with his life, he was determined to do everything they asked of him and Lucian Blanchart be damned. After all, Lucian had never been a fair or even decent employer and therefore he felt very little loyalty to the man. And seeing this crew for what they were, and having a good understand of how fearful Lucian Blanchart was of them, he doubted little that Lucian Blanchart, even in the unlikely event that he managed to escape them with his life, would ever cause him any trouble what with him being under their protection.

"Most generous of you both, I thank you," Chapman stated as if he were paying an ordinary professional visit in a quiet English family, "I will see to it properly Captain, just as you request."

"Excellent," Carmen responded, "Now on to the business of that locked room."

"I've been considering that Captain," Scarlet spoke up, "I believe Aba could use a few well place grenades or even perhaps a bomb or two about the door and gain entrance."

"Very well," Carmen said, "Aba shall make an effort at that door in the morning."


The following morning, even with it being late December, the weather was still beautiful on the North Carolina coast. Captain Carmen O' Daire had always enjoyed cool nights and invigorating mornings, and therefore she was in a genial mood as she stood on the quarter deck and drank in the morning air.

The Maidens Revenge with the De Droom at her side turned into the little cove on the Roanoke River and soon both ships lay comfortably anchored in the Edentown harbor. With the Blanchart plantation secured it had been decided to openly announce themselves to the town.

The townsfolk having discovered that one of the two ships that had recently anchored in their harbor was the Maidens Revenge, and having heard of their exploits, and their disposition concerning Lucian Blanchart, and most themselves not having any sympathies for the plantation owner, Edentown welcomed the crew with warmth and goodwill.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.