The Angry Whore - Book 2 - Cover

The Angry Whore - Book 2

Copyright© 2006 by POL

Chapter 8: The Barque Returns

10 November, 1686 Afternoon

Several days later the crew of the Maidens Revenge saw the sails of the De Droom heading toward the inlet of the bay. Even through the glass no other sails could be seen behind her. A number of days prior they had made the Maidens Revenge Sea worthy and had anchored her near the entrance to the harbor with her starboard guns readied and pointing out to sea in the event of any trouble, which afforded them the options of either fighting or running without any likelihood that their ship would become trapped inside the small bay.

The De Droom sailed on steadily, though slowly, toward them and when she was close enough they saw that there were twenty or so sailors standing at her rails. Unlike the gang of hired murders that had formerly sailed on her this crew looked to be proper merchant seamen.

The Ketch sailed past the Maidens Revenge showing no sign of ill intent and as she did, they saw Rauf Denkton, Adalberto Carapau, and a third man whom they did not recognize standing upon the poop waving welcome to them.

"Ahoy, Maidens Revenge," Denkton called out across the water.

"Ahoy, Mr. Denkton and welcome," Carmen called back, "Is all well?"

"Aye," he returned, "all is well Captain. Shall we anchor?"

"Aye, please do so." Carmen answered.

The De Droom dropped sail and allowed momentum to carry her into the center of the bay then she dropped anchor.

After bringing the Maidens Revenge about, tying the two ships together then running out the crossing planks Denkton, Carapau, and the third man they had seen standing on the poop deck crossed over to the Schooner. Carmen and Scarlet greeted them while the balance of the crew stood back keeping an eye on the De Droom and her crew with everything prepared to repel any attack or surprise that might be attempted in the event some sinister campaign was intended.

Denkton briefly nodded to Jon who was standing beside Teresa, both with a brace of loaded pistols in their hands then he proceeded toward Carmen and Scarlet.

The man they had not recognized was called William Sandhurst and was introduced to Carmen and Scarlet by Denkton as the Captain of the De Droom. Sandhurst was a ruddy faced, middle aged man standing five feet eight inches tall, with a stocky, slightly overweight build and a full stock of gray hair.

As Sandhurst looked about the deck of the Maidens Revenge he was in fact astounded to observe for himself that the reports he had heard of this ship had not been overstated. The Maidens Revenge was indeed manned by a goodly number of the most striking females he had ever encountered. It was remarkable to him that a ship with so many beautiful women could carry the reputation of one of the most formidable freebooters sailing the Caribbean, regardless of Jack Scarlet and Aba, both of whom he had heard of before when they had sailed with Calico Jack.

"It is quite an honor meeting you Captain O' Daire, and you Jack Scarlet," Sandhurst told them first taking Carmen's then Jack's hand, "I've heard a number of accounts concerning your ship and her crew Captain."

"All to be taken lightly I assure you Captain Sandhurst," Carmen returned smiling.

"That may be the case, though I doubt it much," answered Sandhurst, "and at the risk of being considered presumptuous the story's of this ship which fell upon my ears came first hand, not only from those that crewed on the De Droom while I was at shore leave, but others who gave their own personal accounts."

"And just what does this previous crew have to say of us?" Carmen asked.

"That your entire crew is hard as adamant, you fight as if composed of equal portions of Satan's hell and Satan's paradise, and that a ship more cleanly in habits of honesty or fairness is not to be found."

"We may not ware the king's colors but we do serve under the rules of honest war." Carmen responded feeling a little embarrassment.

"That I can testify too," Adalberto Carapau broke in, "Of course I know that," he hesitated slightly, "I was not to be on board, only you see I am rather a privileged character not expected to cause any trouble with my arm such as it is, and I chanced your punishment in order to thank you personally for what you and your crew did for me Captain O' Daire, which accounts for my being still on deck."

"Punishment is no new experience to me, Captain Carapau," Carmen said looking at Carapau intently, although she herself knew that was not truly the case, and the contour of her face softened, "but, speaking of your arm how is it mending then?"

"Your ships doctor is nothing less than a miracle worker Captain. I shouldn't be surprised if I have full use of it by years turn. I would appreciate your allowing me to thank him personally as well."

"Ihon will be pleased to learn you are mending well," Carmen said and then addressing all three men she said, "Let's take a seat in the mess where we might find a little more comfort while engaged in earnest conversation. If you will gentlemen," she held out her hand indicting she wished them to follow her.

As she ushered the men toward the center forecastle doorway she glanced around the deck and as she located them she called out, "Constance, Clair, Isabel, you're with us."

The three women followed the others inside the mess then they took a seat at the long table.

After everyone was seated and had been introduced Carmen asked, "So, what news have you of Havana."

All three newcomers chuckled.

Finally Denkton answered, "You caused quite the turmoil for a time. It seems that the Governor had everyone out looking for you to swing and sun-dry, and then after certain testimony was given he had everyone out looking for you to offer gratitude."

Isabel jumped a little at the word, and all could see it startled her, and she could not hide the disorder it put her into, "Gratitude?" she questioned.

"Indeed," Denkton explained, "it seems some tavern owner, the very same one a member of this ships company was accused of shooting to death, had as of late been having a very good run at the game of Bone-Ace. Such a good run in fact that he had accumulated sufficient funds to purchase two young female slaves. It was these two that testified that the tavern owner, unprovoked, drew a pistol first before taking a ball himself. They also testified that after said shooting several of his drunken friends attacked the shooter without cause. Now mind you, the shooting and the subsequent running through of several Havana citizens would not normally be forgiven even with testimony of self defense, but after these two also described how it was not by mere chance that this tavern owner had become so fortunate at cards, but rather by concealing a goodly number of Ace's of Hearts under the table where he at all times sat... well then, after that, even those drunken friends not killed that night refused to testify against the shooter."

"So, are you saying that just because the man was a card cheat all was forgiven?" Constance questioned.

"That combined with the unguarded knowledge that your crew was responsible for the demise of Shadrach Bloody Bass, a long time menace to Spanish shipping, and the testimony of a local baker concerning a few garrison soldiers who then themselves reluctantly revealed how none of them were killed, and only wounded when they attempted to apprehend your crew. Presumably all that pooled together was enough to warrant the Governors offer of gratitude, rather than the noose."

"What has become of Estrada's two female slaves?" Isabel asked with genuine concern in her voice.

"Now that is a remarkable turn," Denkton give explanation, "In as much as Juancho d Estrada had no living relatives and so many came forward demanding restitution for having been cheated at cards, and it being impossible to determine even carelessly who had in actuality lost what, the governor awarded the tavern along with its inventory and both women to the crew of the Maidens Revenge for services rendered. A draft was punctually placed in the public records and the two women were told to continue running the tavern under the attention of the governors office until those who have a right, shall claim it."

"Interesting," Scarlet laughed, "I can't wait to tell Aba he is now a slave owner."

"I should like to turn over my part of the ownership to the two women," Isabel said meekly.

"It is to my way of thinking that you alone Isabel can claim the privilege of ownership of that tavern, and therefore may do with it as you will." Carmen told the girl with a smile.

"Agreed," Constance smiled.

"Agreed," Claire said.

"Agreed," Scarlet also said, "But not before I've had my fun with Aba."

That got a chuckle from those around the table.

"I shouldn't wonder that the others will also agree with us on this matter Isabel." Carmen said still smiling.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.