The Angry Whore - Book 2
Chapter 3: Not On Our First Date

Copyright© 2006 by POL

28 October, 1686 Morning

"Take us in tight Jack," Carmen told Scarlet who was at the helm, "We'll fire one or two balls across her bow and run up the Jolly Roger and let the rascals see what we are."

The early morning was very foggy and they were almost on top of the Barque before Scarlet saw it. He quickly maneuvered the Maidens Revenge starboard while Cog and Diego lowered the mainsail, and their ship crawled up on the others weather quarter and arrived within ten or so cable's lengths of the Barque just as Cog double-reefed the foresail to reduce their rate of speed.

As they slowly passed by, Carmen called out to Aba, "All right Aba, let them know what the Maiden thinks of her first date!"

Aba fired and a tongue of flame, and then a gush of smoke, issued from the Maidens Revenge's lee bow, and the ball flew screaming like a shooting star over the De Droom's bow.

Then Clair's gun was in position, and she fired another bow-chaser, and sent the shot hissing and skipping on the water on the far side of the Barque.

And the Barque saw what they were. A Dutch flag was quickly raised and then just as quickly lowered again, indicating the Barque had surrendered. Presently the full faced, red headed man's head popped up over the rail and he called out hysterically with fright in his throat, "Please... I have nothing... I have done nothing... it was not me! Please!"

"How many on board?" Carmen yelled across the expanse of water.

"I've done nothing! I've..."

"How many on board! Or our next ball will see you to the bottom!"

"Seven. Myself, my supercargo, and five others," he responded.

"Any armed?"

"Only the five."

"On our next pass see to it that all, including the five are up on the poop deck unarmed!"

"I do not command the five... I..."

"See to it, or sink!" Carmen yelled just as they passed out of the range of voice.

As Scarlet brought the Maidens Revenge about it was evident that the full faced, red headed man had either convinced the five or they themselves saw the folly in standing fast because all seven men stood upon the poop and not a single pistol, sword, or knife could be detected among them.

"Shall we board her?" cried Scarlet.

"Aye, board her!" shouted back Carmen, "Run the Maiden alongside," then to the others she shouted, "Get out your grappling-irons, Ihon, remain and take the wheel and steer. As for the rest, let every jack and jane one of us with sword and pistol jump upon her deck, the Maiden will take care of herself for a space."

The De Droom lay without headway, gently rolling on the sea. Down came all sails of the Maidens Revenge, and her motion grew slower and slower as she approached the Barque.

The two vessels were now drawing very near to each other. Several of the crew with grappling-irons stood ready to throw them, and the bow of the well-steered Maidens Revenge had almost touched the side of the Barque, when, with a leap, of which no one would have considered him capable, Felipe Santos jumped up on the rail and sprang onto the deck of the other vessel. This was a hazardous act, and if the young man had known more about nautical matters he would not have tried it before the two vessels had been fixed firmly together. Ignorance and need to prove himself capable to the woman he loved made him fearless, and he alighted in safety on the deck of the De Droom at the very instant when the two vessels, having touched, separated themselves from each other by the space of a yard or two.

Captain O' Daire stood and yelled, "What are you about, Felipe Santos? Have you gone mad?"

By then the crew having thrown their grappling-irons over the gunwale of the Barque, were now pulling hard upon them to bring the two vessels together. The two vessels touched and the crew of the Maidens Revenge leaped upon the deck of the De Droom.

Carmen was not far behind, and with sword in hand she rushed up the steps toward the poop deck and the spot where the full faced, red headed man and the other six huddled together behind him with Felipe holding them at bay by means of two pistols which he gripped tightly in each of his fists.

In pairs the rest of the Maidens Revenge crew went to search the remainder of the ship and its hold looking for any surprises that might still be about on board.

Quickly measuring the group before her Carmen saw that the full faced, red-headed man was very short in stature and nearly as wide in girth as he was tall. He was a pale, tallow creature and did not look much like a fighter. Behind him stood a young man with long, shaggy, hair, which hung over his eyes in an unkempt mass, and five of the wickedest looking men that God ever allowed upon the sea.

"Now sir," Carmen said directly to the full faced, red headed man, "you will speak for all, as for the rest of you," she waved her saber at the men standing behind him, "if I catch a breath of complaint, if it's only a piece of incivility we'll have a look at the color of your blood. So now then," she continued directing her attention once again to the full faced, red headed man, "Your name? Where did you in actuality sail from? And what do you seek here?"

The man turned his head looking away, "We're only peaceful merchantmen!" he said with a trembling voice, "What authority have you to come down upon us this way?"

"Authority? Did you miss then the colors we fly? Pirates need no authority. Now answer my questions or my sword will familiarize itself with your liver!" Carmen laughed.

He swallowed twice before answering, "As I said only merchantmen. I'll show you my papers that we're only peaceful merchantmen."

"Now, now," Carmen said smiling as she used the tip of her sword under his chin to turn his eyes toward hers, "I will not bandy words with you. And if you're thinking that we somehow managed to steal away from that band of ambushing bulge rats that came off this ship, you could not be more misguided. We dispatched with the lot of them last night, other than three that did not live to see the morning sun and eleven which are even now securely locked away aboard the Maidens Revenge. Now, if but one more lie passes your lips the more will be your pity!"

"I... I... I... he stuttered, "Oh my, we heard the cannon fire but we... well, I am Rauf... Rauf Denkton. From Cyprus but... but I now trade out of Rotterdam. This is my ship... and it has most recently sailed out of Havana harbor."

"Are you its Captain then?"

"Oh no, no. I..."

"Who is Captain then?"

"Why... why," he swallowed hard once again before continuing, "Adalberto Carapau... he went ashore. Ashore with the others, last night."

Just then several of the Maidens Revenge's crew joined Carmen and Felipe.

"The ship is secure Captain. No one else is aboard. Aba, Cog and Teresa have returned to the Maidens Revenge to help Ihon keep her fast," Constance told Carmen quickly.

One of the seamen began to fidget nervously, "Hang it! And are we to lose our chance for this few! We're to be poor, crawling beggars, sponging for rum, when we might be rolling in a coach! With me now mates!" he yelled as he drew from his pocket a small knife and rushed past Denkton toward Carmen.

Quicker than thought Felipe shot the man clean through the forehead dropping him instantly before a second step could be taken.

As the man fell dead, what little blush Rauf Denkton had had was gone out of his face, and even his nose turned white. He had the look of a man who had just seen a ghost, the devil, or even something worse.

Scarlet, Constance and Isabel, who had in the meantime gathered closer around, brought their pistols to bear on the balance of men making any farther attempt of assault by them futile.

"Enough!" Carmen snarled, "Jack, find a suitable place to confine these others so Mr. Denkton and I can finish our polite conversation in amity. But first, I'll see all their pockets emptied."

Felipe wiggled his loaded pistol barrel up and down threateningly, and the assembly of men, including Denkton, began depositing the contents of their pockets into a small pile on the deck.

The pile consisted of, two more small, crooked handled knives, known as gully's, a few small coins, three thimbles, some thread, three big needles, two pieces of pigtail tobacco, both bitten away at the end, a pocket compass, and three tinder box's.

"Come along, let's go," Scarlet said to the remaining five men while waving his pistol.

"Please, don't lock me in with these scoundrels!" the young lad with long, shaggy hair beseeched, "I've caused no harm to anyone."

Carmen looked him over coming to the conclusion that more than youth put him out of place from the other four sea-dogs. He was a handsome youngster, lightly clad and, although not yet full grown, of a strong and active build. His clothes were not nearly as weathered and seemed to be made of a finer fabric, his dark eyes shown with a keenness unseen in any of the others, and he had very fine bright teeth that gleamed when he spoke.

"And you are, young sir?" Carmen asked.

"Jon De'lee, ma'am... ah, Captain. This," he pointed to Rufh Denkton, "is my uncle and this is my very first voyage. Through-out no one spoke to me of this ships commission nor of why we had laid up here for a month, and little did I think to ask, considering it to be nothing more than routine commerce, and even had I succumb to any form of curiosity none could I have asked other than my uncle as my spirit was not congenial with any of the crew and I was not of an inclination to fraternize with them."

Carmen looked at Rauf Denkton, "Does he speak true?"

"Yes, he is my sister's young son of fifteen, who embarked with me as supercargo to learn the trade of commerce," Denkton finally managed to reply after several large gulps of air.

"And also to learn of treachery it would seem," Carmen snapped.

"He knew nothing of this ships commission." Denkton replied without raising his eyes, "If that only I could know nothing of it. Greed alone brought me to this low place."

"So now speak up plain, young man," Carmen said once again addressing Jon, "and tell us what was your full hand in this business."

He shook his head, "None. I swear to you, ma'am... Captain. Even now I am without any knowledge, other than last night the crew went ashore and none have returned."

"It would seem your appetite for curiosity is non-existent then. Did you not have even the slightest interest when we hailed your ship yesterday?"

"Indeed I did, but uncle told me you could be pirates and I was to keep to my cabin."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.