The Angry Whore - Book 2 - Cover

The Angry Whore - Book 2

Copyright© 2006 by POL

Chapter 2: The Maiden Speaks

27 October, 1686 Night

When Carmen pulled open the cabin door Felipe's heart stopped momentarily. Even drawn directly from her bed she was more beautiful and even more like a princess than any noble dame that might frequent a grand castle. If there had been any doubt before he knew now that he loved her because it was absolutely impossible for him to do anything else.

"Boarded you say Felipe!" Carmen shouted.

After swallowing to clear his throat Felipe lost no time in telling all he had overheard on the small beach.

"That bastard Blanchart's doing! How long before they arrive!" Carmen snapped.

"Perhaps an hour or so," he replied.

"Number of longboats?"

"Four."

"Number of men?"

"Fifty."

"Diego," she said looking past Felipe's shoulder toward his younger brother, "rouse the rest of the crew and fill them in. Tell Aba he will be in charge of mounting our defenses. Quickly now!"

"Aye, aye, Captain," Diego responded then he hurried off.

"As for you Felipe after this we will discuss just how it was that you came to leave your post and discover this ambush plot, but for now make yourself available to Aba for direction."

Carmen could see Felipe's face clearly revealed in the light from the open doorway and it had turned a ghostly white. She knew his pasty color was not for fear of any would be boarders, Felipe Santos had stood on the deck of the Maidens Revenge in a sea fight on more than one occasion. No, it was something else... then it came to her, he was alarmed that he may have displeased her.

She smiled up at him, "Well, what next?" laying her hand on his arm she said with a softer tone, "We will indeed talk of this Felipe but you have done well giving us this warning and offering us a chance to prepare. Thank you. Hurry off now, and go help defend our ship."

Felipe felt better because of her kind words and even managed a weak "Aye," before turning away, but he still felt lost. How could he possibly even think he might gain such a woman's favor? He was but a poor farmer and she... well she was a goddess, and even more than a goddess she was also a ships Captain. Yes, he felt lost and hopeless.

Moments later Carmen assembled the crew on deck and told them, "We have little time to prepare and this ship will need to look asleep by the time their longboats make the Bay, so we need to move quickly. Aba, you will be in charge of handling our guns, but from what I can recall I don't think our port cannons are pointing directly toward that river inlet," then sweeping her eyes around until she saw Scarlet she said, "Jack, what's the fastest way to rotate this ship slightly, without having to weigh anchor?"

"We could tie on a longboat, and then row her into position," Jack answered.

"Will she hold?" Carmen asked.

"There's not that much current, and the ship has already swung around her anchor, so as long as we mind the tiller she should... for a while anyway," he responded.

"Good, let's quickly lower a boat then. Jack take as many as you need to help row. Teresa you're in command of the wheel under Jack's direction," Carmen told them.

"Aye, aye," the girl answered then she quickly made her way to the upper deck while Felipe, Diego and Ihon set to work lowering a longboat.

"Aye, aye," Scarlet answered her and then he called out, "Teresa, just keep the wheel tight starboard until we have the ship positioned, then adjust accordingly to keep her steady. Aba, Cog, Felipe, Diego, we're on oars gentlemen."

"Aba," Carmen called out to the big man before he dropped over the side into the longboat, "we'll ready the guns while you're helping position the ship. How do you want them packed out?" Carmen asked.

"Load all four port cannons with small grape, but don't run them out yet, no point in letting the enemy know we're ready for them. We'll wait until the last moment then run them out and fire all four full-broadside. The grape should take out a fair number before they even know what hit them. The two port swivels double-shot load with Bar and Chain, we'll use that to sink their boats," Aba instructed and then he disappeared over the rail.

Fifteen minutes later all guns were readied and the heavy craft had ever so slowly been pulled into position.

With all hands aboard once again Carmen said, "Aba, the ship is yours."

Aba stood up straight and taut and gave instruction like a lesson, "Isabel, gunner far aft port cannon, Felipe you're powder monkey. Next cannon, Constance gunner, Scarlet monkey. Next, Captain O' Daire gunner, Ihon monkey, and finally Claire you take the last cannon and Diego you monkey. I'll be on both port swivels with Cog as my monkey." After catching his breath he continued, "And now this is how I propose we do this, on my signal you run out all cannons and fire as soon as they lock. Then reload as quickly as possible, we'll want to give them a taste of grape at least twice before I let them suffer our swivels. No need to cover your powder because they won't be firing anything back at us, but make sure your reloads are far enough away that they don't accidentally catch a cinder from flashback."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.