The Angry Whore - Book 1 - Cover

The Angry Whore - Book 1

Copyright© 2006 by POL

Chapter 21: Albatross

23 August, 1686 Morning

"So, Portobello tomorrow then?" Constance raised her head looking up at Jack as she batted her beautiful blue eyes and laid her hand gently over his forearm.

"Providing the winds stay favorable," Jack responded looking curiously down on her lovely face. He couldn't help feeling something was amiss. For the last two day's both Constance and her younger sister Claire had been acting very peculiar. It seemed to him that both women had been going out of their way to seek him out with the most trivial excuses imaginable only to engage him in one meaningless conversation after another. A good example of that was Constance's current question, she was well aware of when they should arrive in Portobello. Why would she ask him about it? Well enough was enough he decided, he would get to the core of what was going on the only way he knew how.

Using both hands on Constance's shoulders he turned her around until she was squarely facing him and then with all seriousness of voice he said, "Constance what's going on? For the last two day's you have been acting very curiously. Mind you, not that I dislike having you in my company. Truth be told, I couldn't imagine anyone I'd rather converse with, it's just that..."

Constance stopped him by placing her index finger over his lips and shaking her head, "Shhhh, I apologize," she said softly, "I can see now that I should have been more forthright with you. So here it is without any sense of propriety, it has been my feeble attempt at seducing you."

The coolness with which Constance avowed her purpose was such that the true meaning of her words eluded Jack's mind momentarily, then when realization did occur surprise took entire possession of his mind and he could do nothing but stare and wonder.

"Jack?" Constance questioned, "Jack? Did you not hear me?"

"Yes, I heard you Constance," Jack finally responded still perplexed, "but why in our lord's name would you reason you needed to seduce me?"

"At the expense of sounding boldly odious... I am still a virgin and I no longer wish to be."

"What!" Jack exclaimed, "You no longer wish to be? You expect me to... you are asking that I... you think that I..."

"If you would, I will be most grateful."

Jack studied her face to determine if there was any malicious jest in her expression. All he saw was the appearance of sweet, hopeful, innocents.

"Constance," he said holding her at arms length and looking directly into her eyes as his voice deepened with disappointed pain, "can you not know that there is no need for you to seduce me? You seduced me the moment my eyes first fell upon you in Port Royal. You seduced me the first time you called me by name, the first time you bid me good morning, the first time you laughed in my company, the first time your sweet breath fell upon the bare flesh of my cheek. No, Constance there is not the need for any seduction here... but to do as you requested, in a demeanor liken to you asking me if I would help you tie off the main sail, I will not... I can not do that."

At first she thought he was teasing her, but then as he turned away Constance saw the pain behind his eyes and she came to realized he was serious. Although far from any intent she recognized that she had hurt him, and something else. How could she have missed it? Jack Scarlet was in love with her! Did she have similar feelings concerning him? She had thought it nothing more than physical attraction, but now she was uncertain even of her own heart. Perhaps she too was falling in love with him. Taking the sleeve of his shirt she said, "Jack, please, wait."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.