The Angry Whore - Book 1 - Cover

The Angry Whore - Book 1

Copyright© 2006 by POL

Chapter 17: Fire Power

4 August, 1686 Morning

After Carmen had given him the funds Aba and Cog took one of the longboats into Tortuga to purchase the swivels. They used a longboat knowing that the weight of the cannons would be far too heavy for the smaller jollyboat.

It was afternoon by the time they returned then after first winching the guns up on deck they brought up the longboat.

"They're a lot bigger than I had imagined," Carmen remarked looking down at the four cannons.

"Aye, eight pounders, but they're beauties right enough Captain." Aba said patting one of the cannon's with his palm. "They are actually larger than I intended but I couldn't pass on them. They came off a class three man-o-war. She must have been fitted with sixty or seventy cannon on her."

"Where are you going to place them Aba?" Constance asked looking around the deck.

"Top of the gunwales, two aft and two astern, both sides, port and starboard, but because of the weight we'll need to hire a carpenter to stiffen up the ribbings before we can mount them Captain," Aba told Carmen.

"I know just the man," she responded smiling.

The carpenter was commissioned and after having come aboard and assessing the task he returned with the necessary supplies and tools and then went straight to his work.

As the carpenter worked reinforcing the ship's structure where the swivels were to be mounted Carmen looking over his shoulder commented, "I'm very appreciative of you coming aboard on such short notice every time we have some new project for you Mr. Dancort. Thank you."

"Nay need o' thanks," he responded without interrupting what he was doing, "It ain't like I've been well-worn lately. Matter o' fact, to be true, this here Maidens Revenge is bout all the work I've had in a fortnight."

"Really? That's surprising. Tortuga looks to be full of activity and the harbor to be packed out."

"Rightly so, but ever since them damn French signed that treaty only well fitted ship's seem to port here any more. And the town's all fitted out. Pirates is what we need round here. Now that'll see ya some real work."

"That being the case I'm pleased we've had need of your services then. Well, I'll leave you to your task Mr. Dancort," Carmen said as she turned to leave.

"Captain," Ihon Dancort addressed Carmen stopping her progress.

"Yes," Carmen turned back.

Dancort stood up facing Carmen, "There's a lot o' talk round town concerning the Maidens Revenge. Rumor, growing with the telling has it that she sails under a female crew. Now to that I can squarely bear out having had more than one look at you Captain and having been aboard more than once myself. So, keeping in mind that a woman aboard ship is said ta be bad luck and all, well, the way I figure it is if one woman is bad luck then four probably offsets everything making it good luck, see?"

"And you're point Mr. Dancort?"

"My point Captain is that there's nothing for me here in Tortuga any more, and seeing as this here ship is in need of a carpenter... well I'd like ta sign on."

"Really?"

"Aye. And I'm a fair hand at surgeon when it comes to amputating a limb or such."

"Mr. Dancort," Carmen addressed the carpenter feeling he had an ulterior motive, "if because you have been commissioned to fit out the Maidens Revenge with new gun mounts and you've put to mind that we have some glorious design on pirating and getting rich, well sir nothing could be farther from the truth."

"It ain't nothing like that Captain, it's just that I've seen my day's on land for a while. I need ta get planks under my feet again, can't say for how long mind, but for a while to be sure."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.