Chronicles of David - Cover

Chronicles of David

Copyright© 2006 by D A Porter

Chapter 5: Strange companions

Bitsy gathered her courage and knocked on the oversized door.

She heard stirrings inside. Then the door opened to reveal the biggest humanoid that she had ever seen.

"And who are you little one?" Rumbled the giant in the doorway.

Bitsy couldn't speak for a moment, the she squeaked out. "I'm looking for my daddy and mommy."

"And what makes you think that I know where they are? I am sure that I would remember having a child as lovely as you." Said the giant with a touch of humor.

Vaguely reassured, (although she could not say exactly why) Bitsy said, "I can smell them on you."

Taken aback, the giant said, "Maybe you should come in and tell me more." He stepped back to let Bitsy pass through the door. The giant closed the door behind them and led Bitsy into the kitchen.

The giant sat on a huge chair at the table. Looking over at Bitsy, who was hopelessly dwarfed by the other chair, he grinned and scooped her up to deposit her gently atop the vast wooden tabletop. Bitsy grinned at the giant. For some reason, she just couldn't help liking him just a bit.

"My name is Tuck. What is your name Little One?" "I'm Staffet." She said. "But Daddy and the others call me Bitsy." Tuck stood and gave Bitsy a comical bow. "Pleased to make your acquaintance Miss Bitsy." He said.

Bitsy curtsied as David had taught her.

"Now tell me more about my smelling like your parents." Tuck said.

"I followed Daddy and Mommy to Mommy's home world, then I followed them to this big scary place where there were all these dead things all over the floor. I was scared for a long time, then I decided not to be scared anymore." Bitsy paused for a breath. "Good for you." said Tuck approvingly. Bitsy flashed him a smile and continued. "I felt around for daddy's magic and found where he had made a doorway. I re-opened it and came through. Then I sniffed and found his scent and followed it here."

"This requires thought," Said Tuck. "And I always think better on a full stomach."

Tuck stood up and went to his pantry, returning with bread and cheese and slabs of cold roast meat of uncertain origin. He also had a pitcher of ice-cold milk. "I hope you can eat this," he said to Bitsy.

It was all Bitsy could do not to change into her dragon form right then and start devouring everything in sight. The smells arising from the food smelled simply wonderful and she was SO hungry!

But she forced herself to wait politely as Tuck sliced come of the bread and cheese and meat to portions she could handle. Then Tuck served himself and sat back down.

The two ate in companionable silence, broken only by belches, chomping and slurpings.

"I think I know who your daddy is," said Tuck as they relaxed after the meal. "But I wish I could see him to be sure."

"Oh, I can do that!" exclaimed Bitsy. She concentrated. A mist formed above the tabletop. Tuck could feel the power flow from Bitsy, Surprising in one so young.

David appeared in the mist, life sized and three-dimensional. David would have been proud of her.

"I thought so." Said Tuck when he saw who was in the picture. "He and someone named 'Lyssa fixed me up after a fight in the hall you talked about. I was pretty badly hurt, and they helped as best they could and opened a doorway to send me home." Tuck stood and went over to a rag bin. Taking out some scraps of cloth, he held them out to Bitsy. "I think these are what you smelled."

Bitsy instinctively shifted to her natural form and stretched her neck out to sniff at the cloth. "What?" said Tuck, surprised at her sudden transformation.

Then Bitsy shifted back to her human form. "That's them!" she said excitedly. "Can you take me to them?"

Tuck shook his head. "I don't know where they are right now," he said. "And besides, inter-realm travel is not one of my abilities."

"I can do that." Bitsy said impatiently.

"But before we travel," Tuck said, "You need to know WHERE you are going, or we can end up in bigger trouble then when we started."

Bitsy was ready to cry. "But how will I know where they are?" she wailed. "If I knew that, I wouldn't be lost!"

"While I agree with your logic," Tuck grinned, "I think that we need to ask someone who knows everything."

"And who is that? When can we get going? Where are we headed?" Bitsy demanded in rapid-fire questions.

Tuck laughed, "Slow down Little One, slow down. We'11 go see Old Mad Tom. But he is a long way from here, so we'll want to start out rested. There will be time enough in the morning."

Bitsy hated to wait, but she was smart enough to see the truth in the giant's words. "OK." she grumbled.

Tuck piled blankets and the smallest pillows he had in the house on his spare bed for Bitsy to use.

She stood on the bed and gave Tuck a hug goodnight without thinking about it. Then the shifted into dragon form and burrowed into the blankets to sleep.

Tuck lay awake for a long time in the next room thinking. Well, he had wanted adventure ever since his return. He snorted softly in the darkness, And a damsel in distress too boot. Tuck shook his head. Then he grinned, what the hell, Life was getting boring anyway.

He heard whimpering from the spare room, peeking in, he saw Bitsy's dragon form kicking and thrashing in the throes of a nightmare. Tuck tiptoed into the kitchen and retrieved the rags with David and 'Lyssa's scent on them. He placed them in the bed near Bitsy's nose. As she caught the familiar and comforting scents of her erstwhile parents, Bitsy relaxed into a deep, nightmare-free sleep.

Bitsy woke up late the next morning, feeling much better. She changed back into human form and went back to the kitchen. There on the table, she found a note from Tuck, and more food. She levitated up onto the table and sat down cross-legged to read the note while she ate.

I am out getting supplies for our trip. The note said. If you wake up before I get back, meet me in my shop. And there was a simple map to follow.

Bitsy finished eating and cleaned up the table. She smiled to herself, sometimes magic has it's uses she mused.

Then she shifted back to dragon form with the note clutched firmly in her talons and took to the air.

Finding Tuck's shop was not difficult. His map was clear and easy to follow. She shifted form again when she landed and entered the shop. Tuck was not back yet, and she spent a fascinated hour wandering around and inspecting the tools and equipment of the forge etc. The rack of swords and spears against one wall gave off a strong aura of magic that was clearly visible to Bitsy's eyes. Likewise the stand holding shields and various types of armor.

Bitsy idly picked up a dagger that was almost as big as a broadsword for her. For one of Tuck's people, it would have been a small belt knife. She sat on a bench and held the knife across her palms, tracing the spells locked into the metal, and enhancing them. When she was done, she opened her eyes. The blade of the dagger now shone with an eye-hurting brilliance. She hastily shut her eyes and toned down the glow of the blade to a tolerable level. The enchantments remained with the enhancements intact. Finding a scabbard for the dagger, Bitsy sheathed the blade and thrust it through her belt. She would ask Tuck she could keep it when he came back.

Like any bored 12 year old, Bitsy soon found more mischief to get into. She practiced enhancing the enchantments on various weapons and armor in the shop without making them glow like the dagger had done. By the time Tuck returned, rather later than he had planned, Bitsy had bespelled every damn piece of armor and weaponry in the whole shop. And she was just putting the finishing touches on his forge when Tuck walked into the shop.

"Oh Oh." Tuck said.

Bitsy turned around to smile proudly at Tuck. She lost her smile fast when she saw the nervous look on the giants face. "What's wrong?" Bitsy asked in a worried voice.

"What did you do/" Asked Tuck urgently.

"I just made your spells stronger." She said. "Did I do something wrong?"

Tuck sighed. "This place radiates magic now like a beacon." He told her gently. "I'll bet every

adept in the city can feel and see this place by now."

"Is that bad?" Bitsy asked.

"It can be." Tuck sighed. "I guess there's no help for it now."

"I'm sorry." Bitsy said tearfully. "I was only trying to help."

"It's all right," said Tuck as he gently patted her shoulder. "I don't suppose you can shield the shop to keep anyone from sensing all the extra magic can you?"

"I'll try." sniffled Bitsy as she wiped her eyes on her sleeve. She closed her eyes in concentration.

She built energy sinks and reflectors into the walls and doorways of the shop. Then she shaped shields to redirect magic into an anvil that she turned into a sort of magical heat sink, where it could be retrieved at a later time for re-use. When she opened her eyes, Tuck was looking at her in awe. To all outward appearances, his shop emitted only the usual amount of power. But inside, the place was like being at the focus of a large sun lamp.

"Where did you learn how to do that?" Tuck asked her.

Bitsy answered smugly, "Something my daddy showed me in his library."

Tuck shook his head. "ME and him HAVE to have a talk when I get you back to them."

Tuck chose a heavy double bitted axe and a round shield for himself. Then he tucked his favorite hammer into his belt.

"I have our packs waiting outside for us. We had better get going."

Bitsy pulled the sheathed dagger from her belt. "Can I keep this one?" she asked Tuck. "Please?" she wheedled.

Tuck threw his head back and gave out a shout of laughter. "Little One, you can have anything you want!" and he gave a sweep of his hand to encompass the entire shop.

"I'm not greedy, this will do me just fine." Bitsy said so primly that Tuck just had to laugh again.

Bitsy's pack was just right to fit her, and it had been bespelled to hold an amazing amount of stuff and still feel light as a feather. Tuck helped her into the straps and then hoisted his own pack to his shoulders. The two set off down the street toward the edge of town.

~Back at 'Lyssa's mansion~

Paul Black Eagle knocked on the door to "Lyssa's mansion. The door opened immediately. Black Eagle looked at the maid standing in the doorway approvingly. Not bad at all.

"Pardon me milady," Said Black Eagle, "My friend David Porter and his wives are friends of mine. Do you happen to know where I may find them?"

"Come in please." Said the maid. "My name is Asshann. Mistress 'Lyssa and Master David have gone to fix the tear between the worlds, and Miss Bitsy and Mistresses Jenny and Prissy have all left not long ago."

Black Eagle followed Asshann into the mansion. Admiring the view of her backside in that short skirt as they walked down the hallway to the parlor. "Please make yourself comfortable," said Asshann. She vanished. Black Eagle grunted. It figured, another teleport. He sat his old bones down in a surprisingly comfortable chair. Asshann reappeared with a tray bearing a bottle and a glass. Setting the tray on a nearby table, Asshann poured the glass full of an amber liquid. She handed the glass to Black Eagle. "Is this satisfactory?" She inquired.

Black Eagle took a sip. "Not bad." he decided. "Please sit down and chat with an old man will you?" he asked Asshann with a wink.

"It is not proper." began Asshann.

"Bugger proper." snorted Black Eagle. "I invited a pretty girl to sit and chat, and anyone who don't like it can stuff it."

The corners of her mouth twitched upward for a split second. Then Asshann made up her mind. Black Eagle gestured and a chair like the one he was sitting in slid across the room and settled down in front of his. Asshann sat down carefully. Black Eagle gestured again and a glass appeared next to the bottle on the table. The bottle floated up and the cork popped out. Asshann watched as the bottle poured the glass full, then re-corked itself and settled down on the table once again. The now full glass floated over to Asshann's waiting hand.

Black Eagle raised his glass to Asshann in salute. "Here's to good friends, new friends, and pretty girls who put up with an old man's flirting." Was Black Eagles toast.

Asshann laughed softly and clinked glasses with him, then they both took a sip.

Black Eagle could hardly believe himself. He hadn't showed off like this for a girl in over 200 years. It was nice to know he hadn't lost his touch entirely.

Asshann and Black Eagle chatted easily, as if they were friends of long standing, rather than new acquaintances. Black Eagle skillfully drew information out of Asshann that she didn't even realize that she had.

For her part, Asshann had not felt this comfortable with anyone but David for years. And truth be told, she was enjoying the attention and wished the moment wouldn't end any time soon.

A glowing orb popped into existence between them. 'Lyssa's voice could be heard with her message and request for help.

Bolting to his feet, Black Eagle grabbed Asshann's hand. "Take me there." He demanded. Asshann had never teleported two people before, but she felt Black Eagles power flowing into her and supporting her as she made the transfer.

They appeared in the great hall next to David and 'Lyssa. Black Eagle's gorge rose at the smell of charred flesh rising from David's arm. But he controlled his nausea. 'Lyssa recognized him and almost fainted with relief.

Scooping the unconscious David up in his arms, Black Eagle stood. "Asshann, take 'Lyssa's hand and put your other hand on my shoulder and take us home!"

Asshann did as she was told, reveling in the power flowing into her from the contact of her hand on Black Eagle" s shoulder. The teleport was effortless and accurate. They materialized in 'Lyssa's bedroom. Laying David on the bed, the old Shaman/wizard probed David's injuries with his magical senses. Finally satisfied that his friend was no longer in danger, Black Eagle pulled 'Lyssa aside. "What he needs now is rest, and plenty of it. Stay here with him, as he seems to draw comfort from your touch. We will assure that you are not disturbed until he wakes."

'Lyssa nodded silently, her gaze on her beloved's face. As soon as Black Eagle released her hand, 'Lyssa went back and lay beside David on his uninjured side. She laid her head on her arm and put her other arm across his chest.

Black Eagle drew Asshann out of the room and softly closed the door. "Make sure that they will not be disturbed, then come find me in the parlor."

Asshann nodded once and vanished. Black Eagle turned down the hallway to where he could see the stairs leading down.

He had just found the Parlor again when Asshann popped out of thin air. "Handy trick that." Black Eagle said with a smile.

Asshann blushed.

Black Eagle took Asshann's hand and led her over to the chair he had occupied earlier. Sitting down, he drew Asshann down to sit in his lap. He couldn't explain why he was so drawn to this maid, but the attraction was undeniable. And from way she snuggled down in his lap, the feeling was mutual.

After a long time, Asshann pulled back to smile at the older man. She effortlessly teleported them both to her room, where they materialized sitting on her bed. Black Eagle turned his head to look around. When he looked back at Asshann, she was already wriggling out of her dress. Fair enough, He deposited her on the bed to finish undressing as he shed his own clothing. There was life in the old boy yet.

~Looking for answers~

Prissy was the first to clear the portal. She stepped to the side to let the others pass through freely.

They were on a mesa looking down over a rich green valley. Dimly visible in the distance was a trail of smoke rising from a grove of trees. Jenny was the first to spot a trail down. "This way." she said.

The trip down the side of the mesa was tricky and the members of th group had to work together to keep from falling to a messy death on the rocks below.

Finally the trail leveled off.

The path was wide enough for two to walk abreast, and seemed free of obstructions. Booger thought that it looked too good to be true.

Unholstering one of the .45's he checked the load. "Chris, I'll take point, you bring up the rear with the rifle. I want your firepower backing me." Rath blinked at the unaccustomed tone of command in Booger's voice. Then he unslung the rifle and chambered a round.

Booger led the way, followed by Prissy and Jenny. Rath hung back a few steps, then followed. Booger found a long branch by the side of the road. He used it to tap the path in front of him. A half-mile further, his paranoia paid off.

The branch tapping the path set off a trap!

There was a pinging sound. A shower of arrows lanced into the dirt of the path right where they would have been had Booger triggered the ambush prematurely. Much warier, the group continued on down the trail.

The rest of the trip was uneventful.

They came out from the trees into a clearing. There was a nice cabin surrounded by flowerbeds and a vegetable garden in the middle of the clearing. The path led directly to the front door.

"Go ahead and knock." Jenny told Prissy. Booger nodded and faded to the back of the group, keeping his pistol ready, but out of sight.

Prissy stepped forward and tapped softly on the door.

"You won't need the guns boys." came a voice from behind them.

Booger and Rath jumped about 3 feet straight up. They landed facing an old man in a monk's cassock and sandals.

"As you can see, I am unarmed." Said the old man. "I am called Tom."

Booger somewhat sheepishly holstered the pistol. Rath hesitated, and then slung the rifle. "Now, what can I do for you?" Asked Tom.

Prissy came to the front again. "Sorry to disturb you, but there was a dragon who thought you might be able to help us find our missing daughter."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.