A Biker Fantasy
Chapter 1B

Copyright© 2006 by D A Porter

When Jessie was calmed down, I took her back up to our rooms and had her lay down. The tailor showed up and measured me carefully. He promised at least 3 sets of clothing by the end of the week. I thanked him and gave him a small gold bar from the stash I still had left.

"Tomorrow, I want to see the city." I told Jessie. "There is too much I don't know that I need to know. And you are the only one I trust to tell me and to keep me from making a fool of myself."

At supper that night, I managed not to embarrass myself too badly by imitating Ranal. He noticed this and gave me a small smile of approval.

Jessie kept the family entertained with a running account of my arrival, my fight, and the rest of the journey home.

When she repeated what I had told the innkeeper, Ranal laughed aloud. "I know the old miser." Ranal said. "And I doubt he'll be turning away any more of the Free Folk who pass his way."

"I need to find out where the rest of those roving mercenaries are." I said to Marcus. "I plan to rid the realm of them once and for all."

Marcus looked dubious. "There are far to many mercenaries to defeat all by yourself." He said.

"Who said anything about doing all by myself?" I asked. "But to form an intelligent plan, I need to know how many, where they are, and how they are armed and equipped."

"The key to defeating an enemy with a large numerical superiority is being smarter and more mobile than he is." Ranal said.

"Exactly," I agreed. "Hit and run. Strike when least expected. Inflict maximum casualties, then fade away before the enemy can organize a counter-attack. Change tactics each time. Keep them paranoid and off balance."

It sounds like you have fought like this before." Said Marcus.

"Not me," I said. "My father fought an enemy called the Viet Cong in a far away land. They used these tactics and raised hell against the most powerful army on earth. Fought them to a standstill for a decade," I took a sip of wine. "Before that, the Na Dene and the Lakota among others did much the same. Eventually, the military of my land trained elite fighting men. Special forces who could go in small units and inflict casualties and damage that would take a normal army a hundred times as many men to accomplish."

Ranal sat back and looked at me with narrowed eyes. "Assuming that we could raise and train such a force. The equipment you carry and that vehicle you ride are beyond our means to duplicate in any reasonable amount of time."

"According to what Jessie said earlier. My being here is not an accident. That means that someone drew me here. If they can bring me across worlds, then they can send me back. I can easily bring back the weapons and supplies needed to equip a small force. We won't have time to train people to ride motorcycles, so horses will have to do. They're quieter anyway. Jessie can come with me to help me and to watch my back. I'm not real popular back home."

Cassandra spoke up then. "Will you not want to stay home there in your own place? This is not your home."

I reached over and grasped Jessie's hand. "It is now."

"Suppose the mercenaries are not the enemy the Goddess spoke of?" Ranal said thoughtfully. "Then they will make good practice for our forces to hone their skills on." I replied.

Ranal pushed back from the table. "I must talk to the king about this." He kissed his wife, bowed to the rest of us, and left.

Jessie looked up at her mother. "How soon can we be wed?"

"Tomorrow." Said Cassandra. She stood up and shooed Jessie and Marcus out of the room. "My future son in law and I need to talk."

Cassandra led me to a smaller room where we could talk without interruption. "You doubtless know by now that we are not wholly human." Cassandra began, "we are a long lived people. And rarely do we intermarry with full humans such as yourself."

"I had that much figured out when Jessie bit me." I replied.

Cassandra smiled. "A useful mutation that we chose to breed for millennia ago."

"About Jessie's dowry," Cassandra started.

I held up my hand to stop her. "I will make my own way in this world as I did in mine. I do not ask for a dowry, nor would I accept one for her. To me, Jessie is enough in and of herself. Jessie can accept the dowry in her own name, to be used after I am gone. Jessie will long outlive me, and she should have something saved to fall back on after I have passed."

Cassandra looked at me solemnly. "I see that you do not fully understand. When my daughter chose you for a mate, she bound herself to you body, mind and soul. She will live out a normal human life span. No more."

"I see." I said slowly. "This explains a lot."

Cassandra shook herself slightly and stood up. I rose to my feet and she took a step forward and embraced me. "I would not have chosen this path for her. But it was never my decision to make."

We went back to join the others. Jessie was practically dancing in her excitement. "Father bids you to come to the court!" she exclaimed. "And I am to accompany you."

I looked over to Marcus. "Will you come along?" I asked, "Things just might get interesting." He nodded with a small smile. "I foresee many interesting times ahead with you around."

Jessie tucked her hand into the crook of my arm. Marcus offered his arm to his mother, which she graciously accepted. Marcus and Cassandra led the way down to the courtyard where a carriage waited.

I leaned down close to Jessie's ear. "Well, it's no Harley, but I suppose it'll do this once."

I whispered. Jessie had to smother a fit of giggles at that. I waited for Cassandra to be seated, and then I helped Jessie in.

I settled myself next to Marcus on the bench facing the ladies. "Enjoy the pleasures that come your way." I said to Marcus. "Such beauty as is before us happens only rarely in a mans life, even one as long as yours. Treasure these moments as if they were your last."

Marcus chuckled. "A warrior, a wizard, and now a gallant gentleman. I suppose you're a poet as well.'"

"The only verses that I know are those unfit for mixed company, and those reserved for a man and his love."

Marcus lifted an eyebrow. "You'll have to teach me some of those verses."

"Which sort?" I asked.

"Why, both of course!" He laughed outright, and the rest of us joined in.

"Do not be surprised by anything or anyone you see tonight. Not everyone who attends court is human, or even as close to human as we are." Cassandra said. "You are new and unknown, so you will be under more than usual scrutiny. Remember, do not take offense easily. There are those who like to test someone's temper just for fun."

"Don't worry," I said. "I'll behave myself. As long as no one offers to hurt or insult Jessie."

"And if someone insults me?" Cassandra's tone was cool and amused. "What will you do then?"

"Enjoy the spectacle of Marcus and your husband turning them into greasy smears on the floor." I said. "I doubt they would need my help. And if they did, I would give it." Jessie smiled proudly at me. At the palace, Marcus and I escorted the ladies inside. A page announced us as we entered the great hall. Cassandra was correct, there were creatures here that I couldn't have imagined in my worst nightmares. Nightmares, now there's an idea to store away for later.

Ranal appeared from the crowd and hurried towards us. "Come." he commanded. "The King and his consort wish to meet you."

He led us up to the thrones set on a dais at the far end of the room. The crowd melted away on either side like water parting around the bow of a ship. We halted a few steps from the dais.

The man on the throne looked like everyone's idea of a king. Tall, bearded, regal in his bearing. But there was something slightly off.

I glanced over at the man standing beside and slightly behind the throne. A plain looking man with sandy hair and a beak of a nose. Yet, he had more of an aura of command in his stance and body language.

I nodded to the man behind the throne. "Greetings Your Majesty."

Ranal clapped the man on the shoulder. "I told you that he wouldn't be fooled." The king came forward and took his place on the throne. The other man handed the king the crown and left the dais.

"Approach." The king said. I took a couple of steps forward and went to one knee.

"I am here to offer you my services, my loyalty, and my respect." I said.

I hadn't read all those books and watched all those movies for nothing ya know.

"Ranal has told me of your plans and your purpose here." The king said genially. "I am minded to give you rein to do as you must."

I was about to respond when I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye. The shield of the soldier standing where the king had just been was polished to a mirror finish. I could clearly see a man with a crossbow on a balcony above and to the side. He was aiming at someone on or near the dais.

I surged to my feet, shoving Jessie into her mother, and both of them went sprawling. I completed my turn, putting myself between the king and the crossbow man. I had begun drawing my .44 as soon as I had started moving, I brought it up into a two handed grip and fired as soon as the front sight covered the man.

3 times I pulled the trigger, riding the recoil and coming back down on target after each shot. Not shooting range accuracy, but the would be assassin was only about 40 feet away, and at that distance, no way I was going to miss.

The effect of the muzzle blasts from the .44 was astounding. Half the crowd hit the floor, and the other half headed toward the throne. They stopped fast enough when I pointed the gun at them. "Until I know friend from foe, stay where you are!" I bellowed.

Ranal had tackled the King and his consort off their thrones, and the one bolt the crossbow wielder got off was stuck in the wall above and behind the king's throne.

Marcus was suddenly by my side with a bared sword. I took the chance to reload the .44. If any more trouble erupted, I wanted a full cylinder. Jessie and her mother scurried over to where Ranal was helping the king to his feet.

Ranal stepped forward to the edge of the dais. "The audience is ended for tonight. Leave us."

Most of the crowd left peacefully enough except for one youthful looking woman who was giving the group around the throne some really poisonous looks. "Marcus, the lady in the blue and orange dress next to the crimson shield. Find some way to question her. I think that she may know something about this mess."

Marcus nodded and went over to whisper into a soldier's ear. The soldier glanced at me, then at the woman. He nodded once and disappeared through a side door.

"Ranal tells me that you are called Bill," said the king from behind me. I turned to face him and holstered the gun.

"He is correct, your majesty." I replied.

"After tonight, you may call me by my name as Ranal does." said the king. "I owe my life to you."

"I would be proud to call you by name, save that I have never heard it." I said with a smile. "And as for saving your life. Are you certain that it was you the assassin was aiming at? And how did he get through your guards with that big honking crossbow anyway?"

"Good questions both." frowned the king. He turned to Ranal. "Find me the answers my old friend."

Ranal bowed slightly and left, calling out orders to the guards. "Jules." said the king. "Beg pardon?" I said, confused.

"My name is Jules." the king clarified. "What is that thing that made such a noise?"

I took out the revolver and emptied it. I handed it to the king and explained how it worked. I showed him the cartridges and explained the reasoning behind the hollow points. The king was very bright and caught on at once. He asked intelligent questions for a good while.

"Jules, could we move this to a more comfortable room, we have kept the ladies standing idly for far too long." I suggested.

"Quite right," said the king, "This way." And he led us to a small but comfortable room just behind the great hall.

Once the ladies were seated and the wine was poured, the king went on with his questions. A couple of hours later, Ranal joined us. "The assassin in the hall was dead when we got to him. We captured 3 others alive. One talked."

Ranal looked at me. "The assassin that you killed had holes in him as big as a fist, and most of his head was shattered."

The king looked at the .44 again with a new respect. "And you plan to bring more of those 'guns' to equip an elite force?"

"That is my plan." I said.

"Can you bring enough back to equip my palace guards?" asked the king.

"Easily." I replied.

"So be it." Said the King. Turning his head to Ranal, he continued, "A fine addition to your family."

We went home that night escorted by a contingent of the king's household guards. A squad of soldiers posted themselves in the outer courtyard as we entered the house.

Ranal and Cassandra said their good nights and retired to their rooms. Marcus, Jessie, and I went to Marcus' room to talk a bit more and to unwind with some fortified wine.

"By Hell, that toy of yours sounds like thunder and near made me unman myself." Marcus said. "And yet you say it is not the most powerful of its type?"

I sat back with a smile. Here I was on familiar ground. "We have easily carried guns that can reliably kill at distances of a thousand paces or more. And weapons so big they require vehicles or even ships to carry them that can shoot further than the eye can see and destroy a building such as this with one or two shots." I shook my head sadly. "And, I am sorry to say, we have other weapons that will destroy an entire city at once, and leave the ruins so poisoned that no living thing can enter them unharmed for 50 millennia."

Jessie looked frightened. "Your world must be a terrible place."

"There is beauty and art there as well." I said. "And the worst weapons, we dare not use, lest they be used against us."

"Madness!" said Marcus.

"You'll hear no argument from me about that." I drained my glass. "That is why I chose to make your struggles mine, and to remain here, where by some incredible fluke, a treasure such as Jessie could fall in love with a man like me."

Jessie rose from her seat and settled down in my lap. I smiled at Marcus. "Don't you think such a treasure is worth giving up a world for?"

Marcus snorted. "Hardly, but then, she's my baby sister."

Jessie poked her tongue out at Marcus, who laughed aloud. I picked up Jessie and headed for the door. "I shall see you tomorrow." I said to Marcus as we left.

"At the wedding." Marcus called after us.

The following day, Jessie was gone when I woke up. A new set of clothing was laid out for me. Black trousers and a silk tunic with the wizard and bikers picture embroidered on the front. I washed up and got dressed. I settled the gun belt on my hips again, and tucked my knife into my boot. There was a cloak made of the softest and lightest black leather I had ever seen. When I looked closely at it, I could see tiny scales giving it an almost iridescent sheen. I swung the cloak over my shoulders and fastened it with the pins provided. I looked in the full-length mirror. "Not bad at all." I mused aloud.

"I agree." said Ranal from the doorway. He came over to me and adjusted the cloak slightly. "The woman you pointed out last night was taken and questioned. She was only involved in the attempt on the king's life. However others she talked about while under the compulsion have proved elusive. The few we have found, indicate that someone has been summoning mercenary bands from all the known lands. For what purpose, we do not yet know. But it cannot be good for us."

I went over to the saddlebags and dug out couple of small boxes and took them to the desk. Ranal came over when I beckoned to him. I laid out the boxes and opened them. I took out a small chrome derringer and opened the action. I took a couple of cartridges and loaded both barrels. "This is a smaller, less powerful gun." I told Ranal. "It only fires two times before reloading, hut each cartridge holds 3 small balls which spread slightly after firing, thus increasing your chances of a hit." I worked the action a few times, then emptied the derringer and handed it to Ranal. "Practice loading and reloading the derringer. Use it to protect yourself, Cassandra, and Jules."

Ranal hefted the derringer in his palm and stared at it grimly. "Such a small thing to be so deadly." He roused himself and tucked the derringer into his tunic. I handed him the box of ammunition. "Keep this handy, and find someplace private to practice. You now have a nasty surprise for any would-be assassins."

Ranal tucked the ammo box away. "Come, your wedding awaits."

I paused just outside the main hall and checked the loads in the .44.

"You expect trouble?" Ranal asked.

"No," I replied, "But I'm not about to take chances after last night."

Ranal nodded and checked the loads in the derringer.

I opened the big doors and strode into the room, followed closely by Ranal. The wedding was unlike any I had ever heard of. But nothing I couldn't deal with. I had the strangest feeling that there was someone watching us that I couldn't see. Jessie and her mother kept casting nervous glances at the shrine of the Goddess set in the wall not far from the dais where we all now stood. I answered the questions the priestess asked, and followed instructions as best I could under the circumstances. I found myself wishing that someone had thought to rehearse me at least once. But I managed to muddle through OK. No trouble materialized during the wedding or the banquet that followed. Any of the guests that would have entertained ideas about testing the newcomer had either witnessed, or heard of, the incident at the Royal court the previous evening.

Jules attended of course, as did his consort Larilea. His son Prince Jalan was there also, but he was not entirely thrilled about the wedding. I suspected that he had entertained plans for Jessie himself. Too bad. He should have moved faster.

Jessie was radiant in a cream colored silk dress that I was willing to bet had cost more than my first two houses combined. Dancing was slow and easy to follow, although the music was a little odd to my ears. But then, I figured that they would think much the same about Ozzy.

When all the fuss was done and over with, I spirited Jessie upstairs to our rooms and locked the door, wedging a chair inter the latch to make double sure.

It took longer than I liked to get than damned dress off my bride, but we managed finally to get rid of our encumbrances and tumble onto the bed. Jessie responded to my love making with a passion that was astonishing, and she had never been exactly quiet or passive during sex before. Once, someone pounded on the door and shouted at us to come join the party, but we ignored them, being quite happy where we were.

The next morning, Jessie and I went out walking to the marketplace. I watched and listened and learned. Jessie was a big help as I had expected. But it was the conversations that I over heard proved to be the most enlightening. I drew some stares, but as with any big city, the unusual was the rule rather than the exception, so I was not overly conspicuous.

After all, seeing a man in a black cloak walking with a lovely girl is hardly interesting when your last customer resembled a tarantula the size of a Clydesdale horse!

All told, an interesting and educational day. Jessie and I ate at an outdoor cafe that served an excellent stew and fresh hot bread. Jessie was excited and proudly displayed the bracelets and necklace that proclaimed her to be a married woman. I kept my eyes and ears open as we did our shopping.

I made a deal with a distillery to deliver several barrels of pure grain alcohol to the house. Then I stopped by an alchemist's shop and bought a few useful items. Carrying our purchases, Jessie and I started home.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.