Journey into the Past - Cover

Journey into the Past

Copyright© 2005 by Alistair Acorn

Chapter 22: Getting comfortable

I got back to our new house before the others and lifted one of the lids on the range and you could feel the heat right away. I placed the kettle on the ring to check how long it was to take to boil the kettle. Previously we had kept a small fire just to take the chill out of the air. Now we were using it to its full capacity. I tested the hot water tap and the water was running warm, it sure heats the water quick.

When the women arrived I got my usual welcoming kiss and hug from them both. The kettle started to boil just then, so of course we had to go and check it out. With four ovens and four heating rings, plus the hot water heater we were really living in paradise. Marjorie had to test the hot tap and she was excited that at long last we had hot and cold running water that was the thing she missed most.

"Marjorie the shower is now working but I have no decking yet or a privacy screen fitted."

"I can wait another day; at least I can wash at the sink and don't need to worry about the waste water any more," she replied.

So before we got started preparing our evening meal, we made a cup of coffee and sat down at our table, to have a chat. It was at this stage the bomb was dropped.

"I am pregnant again, "said Hild

Marjorie leapt with joy, "Oh! Daaarlingg, I am so happy for you, this time you have to take things easy, we want a baby in this house." She declared in her happiness.

"Chally, I don't care what she or you say, NO more sex for you two until the child is born," Mother Hen declared.

Hild tried to object, but got a, "NO SEX!" From Marjorie.

"All the more for me," she said rubbing her hands, like an old witch and laughing.

Once our meal was over I wandered over to the semi as I remembered when I was installing the water system that I had bought a box of joiner's tools and hadn't looked in the large toolbox. After rummaging on the back for some time, as we still had many items not opened yet. Like the cot I had purchased for our baby, which I hope I will need soon and the sets of arrows and bundles of bows all in boxes. Not that the box was small in fact it was quite big.

At last I saw it and opened it up, it contained all the old-fashioned wooden planes and all the chisels were wooden handled. There were old brace and bits like the one I had given to Northhelm. With these tools Northhelm could do some fine work. But meanwhile I wanted the large Jack Plane to smooth off my floor. I also wanted to do some woodwork of my own. Once I had completed my work I will give all these tools to Northhelm.

Thinking of the devil, I looked up and he was standing looking up at me. I called him up on to the tray and showed him the box of tools, "I am going to give you these tools once I have done a few little jobs first." He was so excited even though he didn't know what half the tools were, for he would soon find out by trial and error.

"I was thinking of building the extension rooms like you built the tower, but what if I build them on a slide then you could pull them on to the site that wants them," he said.

"Northhelm, I think you have taken the first step in mass production, and I think it's a great idea. Oh and by the way, Hild says she is pregnant again, so I would like you to add my name to the list for an extension."

"Oh I'm so glad that Hild is pregnant again, she will be very happy."

So I took the large jackplane and dropped it off at our home before going to the cabin.

Once everyone arrived, we gave our report on what we had done that day and how things were progressing, and what we were going to do the next day.

"Well everyone, water was now available from the tap by the bathroom for your cooking. Once we get the leach drain finished the bathroom would be ready, once that happens we don't want to see people going around looking dirty, do we? There will be soap put there so please use it.

"Hot water from the drum is available to everyone, but make sure the drum is topped up after use and the fire is kept stoked." I told them.

On this we agreed and there was a suggestion that each house takes it in Rota to keep the fire burning that day. It was nice to see that community spirit was beginning to develop.

Tomorrow everyone will be needed for the home rising of Ine's home. So three of us will be going in the truck first thing to collect the slate slabs and rocks, and then we will have our breakfast while the others get started on the house. We agreed and left for our own homes.

"Chally could I get a load of slate after the houses are built so I can cover my floor the same as the cabin," Ine asked.

"Certainly Ine, I will also help you lay it," I answered.

I got back and turned on our 240-volt system lighting. What a difference it made compared to the lighting in the cabin. We had got the fluorescent long life bulbs as they had a low current ampere rating and not so great a strain on the converter. This is the system that they use for camping and caravans, so you can either run the lighting off a mains supply or if no mains supply available off the cars battery. But with the bank of batteries we have, we have no fear of them going flat even if left on all night.

I got down to using the jackplane on the floor and Marjorie and Hild were sweeping the shavings up and putting them into the fire with our makeshift pan. It made a great difference to the floor. Now we had no bumps where large knots had been or edges, which were proud. To do the lot would take a few days, but if I do a little at a time it will be fine.

Even with the lids down on the range the room was nice and warm; at least this was another good buy we had made.

"Come on my Beauties, let's get to bed, I have a lot of work tomorrow," I told them.

We bolted the door and switched off the light and moved into the bedroom and switched on the light there. Last in switches off the light, of course it was muggings. I just can't beat these pair.

So early the next morning I rose and got the truck, waiting for me was Fritho and Sae. We were the stone collectors, I was glad that we could drive to one spot and get as much slate as would be required, and then to another and collect stones for the leach drain. It still took us two hours to collect the load and return to the village.

On arrival it was obvious the others had been busy as the doorposts had been sunk and they were waiting on the slate. The slate load was quickly dropped off with everyone's help. I then drove over to where the leach drain was being build and dropped the rocks off there. I then went and had something to eat.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.