Shiloh - Cover

Shiloh

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 10: Life is Change

The Dean says, “Kyle, I want you and your fiancée to take the next two weeks off. I’ll have your advisers work with each of your teachers to develop the goals needed for your independent study program. Once these goals are established your curriculum will be revised. Let’s set up a meeting in my office for Monday morning at eleven. In that meeting we’ll review each of your plans, making any modifications as needed.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

“I’ve sent a message to Miss Kennedy to come to my office. I’d like you to wait so we can tell her together.”

Kyle reaches for his phone to call KK, but his call is delayed while those in the meeting stop on their way out of the room to express their condolences. When President Narduchi stops she surprises Kyle by giving him a hug. Afterward she hands him a business card as she says, “Kyle, my home number is on the back. If you need me for anything, please call. Your grandfather was very special to me, as well as to this university. Can you tell me anything regarding the funeral plans?”

Kyle summarizes the arrangements and includes the use of Captain Marc Haywood to read the citation regarding Jonas’ Silver Star. Kyle also explains their plan to have Captain Haywood begin the shifting of emphasis from Jonas the warrior to Jonas the Educator. Once this part ends testimonies from some of his grandfather’s students will follow to allow them to show their respects.

She turns very serious and says, “I like the idea, but don’t carry it too far. Jonas was always a warrior, whether the battlefield was in Southeast Asia or in his classroom. Here on campus he was constantly battling ignorance, indifference, and faculty insensitivity.”

Not knowing what else to say Kyle says a simple, “Yes, Ma’am. Maybe you should say that at the funeral.”

“I just might. I’ll talk to you before Wednesday.”

Dr Narduchi starts out the door, but suddenly stops, “Can you and Kathleen meet me at the Japanese Gardens and Tea Room on North Mesa at two-thirty? I think you’ll find it’ll definitely worth your time. In case anyone needs to know, you should be home around seven.”

“I’ll have to check with her, but I’m sure we can.”

“Good! I look forward to it. If anything comes up please call my office straight away.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

President Narduchi finally makes her exit, and Kyle hits send on his cell phone. KK answers, “I can’t talk, but for a minute. I was called out of class and told to go to the Dean’s office.”

“I’m already there, so I’ll wait for you to get here.”

“Are we in any trouble?”

“No. Everything’s copacetic.”

A relieved Kathleen says, “Thanks, I was feeling so stressed. Having you there will help. I should be there in a few minutes.”

Kyle ends the call. Picking up his backpack he makes his way back to the Department Secretary. He explains his purpose for being there then he takes a seat to await Kathleen.

Minutes later KK breezes through the door. When Kyle steps up and gives her a hug the glow on her face lights up the entire room.

“Now, what’s this all about?” she asks.

“I’d better let the Dean explain it as I might miss a point or two. All I can say is we had to do some hard bargaining to get this to happen.”

Smiling at what Kyle said the secretary says, “Kathleen, the Dean will see you now. Kyle, you can go back with her.”

She leads the couple down the hall to the Dean’s office and ushers them inside. The Dean stands up, reaches across his large walnut desk, and shakes their hands. With the formality completed he invites them to sit in the leather wing-back chairs arranged in front of his desk.

He says, “Kathleen, earlier this morning we had a meeting with Kyle. Besides expressing our condolences regarding Jonas we decided Kyle needs time to get over the shock. We also feel he needs the time to grieve and to put Jonas’ affairs in order. Since he’ll get his Bachelor’s Degree at the end of this semester we’ve decided to shift him into an individual study program to complete his current classes.”

Puzzled as to how this affects her Kathleen says, “That sounds very generous and compassionate.”

“We thought so too, but Kyle wanted a little something extra. After some hard negotiations we ended up making a deal that includes you.”

“Me?”

“Yes, because of your recent engagement to Kyle and your long-term relationship with Jonas we’ll do the same for you. This means you’ll not have to attend any classes for the rest of the semester, nor will you have to take any exams. We’ll put together a program for each of you within the week. After that you’ll work with your teachers individually, do independent reading, plus prepare some reports and special projects. Does that sound good to you?”

“It sounds good, Sir, but what did we give up in these negotiations?”

The Dean grins while replying, “Well, we tried for your first born, but Kyle didn’t seem to like the idea. Ultimately we ended up settling for an invitation to your wedding for each of us.”

The concerned woman suddenly bursts into laughter. When she’s calm KK replies, “We might have to stand some distant cousins along the wall, or something, but we’ll find a way to squeeze in everyone.”

“Good. Now you two get out of here. Except at the funeral, I don’t expect to see either of you before Monday morning.”

“Yes, Sir,” the couple answers in unison.

They obediently leave the Dean’s office. While they walk down the hall Kyle reaches over to hold Kathleen’s hand. Once they’re out on the sidewalk she lets go of his hand, holds her arms out parallel to the ground, and spins around several times. “Kyle, I don’t know whether to cry for Jonas or shout for joy that we’re getting married.”

Leading her over to a nearby bench Kyle says, “Sweetheart, over the next few days you’ll probably do a lot of both. The key thing we have to remember is major planning, and a lot of effort by many people will be required to make this all happen.”

The couple begin walking toward KK’s car as she replies, “You’re right, and it’s not just the faculty and staff preparing our new studies program. Most people take from three months to a year to organize a wedding. We’re talking just a few weeks. What do you think we should do first?”

“KK, I suggest you set up a meeting with your mom and mine. Get them to discuss the number of people we’ll be inviting and what your budget will be. Remember, the cost of the wedding is normally your parents’ expense, but ultimately it’s all about you and what you want.”

“Kyle, I understand what you’re trying to say, and you’re right about the wedding being for me. At the same time, I also have to take your family’s social and economic position into account. This is hard for me as I just want for us to get married. I’m not interested in a circus for a wedding, nor do I want my parents having to go into debt to pay for it.”

“I feel the same way, but that’s why you need to talk to them, and only them. Get a dollar figure they’re comfortable with, and that’ll be your basic budget. Then, while you’re still together and everyone’s mind is on the subject, explain to them you and I will cover all the expenses incurred beyond that total.”

“I know what you’re saying, but I can see their pride getting hurt.”

“I can too, but express your heart and your fears. Reassure them we have the money to help if needed, then work to transform the hurt pride in themselves into an honest pride in their daughter. Make them realize you may run into something that’s important to you, but you don’t want them hurt financially because of it.”

“Kyle, that’s a good idea and a great way to approach a potentially complicated situation. Any other suggestions?”

“Yes. One of your first priorities should be to hire a good wedding planner. She’ll be worth her weight in gold, so don’t get a fat one.”

A laughing Kathleen says, “I think that’s good advice; the wedding planner idea, I mean, not the not a fat one. Just you wait! Someday I’ll get you for that.”

Kyle chuckles in response to her antics, bends over, and kisses the tip of her nose. “I figured you would.”

When they reach KK’s Mazda she asks, “Where are you parked?”

“CyberFun.”

“Want a lift?”

“It would be appreciated.”

“Then get in. I’ll call Mom after I drop you off. I’ll ask her to get things started before I get home. Now, what are you going to do while we plan the wedding?”

“I’d like to get our rings, but that’s really something I think we should do together. I guess I’ll check with the lawyer concerning any possible issues. Beyond that I’d like to study some of those files from Jonas’ computer, as well as some of his notes in the safe.”

“You’re not going to buy a ring and get on your knees to ask for my hand in marriage?”

“KK, I think we’re a little past that. It’s also probably too late to ask your father for his permission.”

Pouting a little Kathleen says, “I guess you’re right. But remember, failure to ask doesn’t mean you can return the merchandise at a later date. It sounds like we’re not going to have much time together, today.”

“Actually, we’ve a late luncheon appointment with Doctor Narduchi. I’ll pick you up at your house at fourteen ten hours.”

A very surprised Kathleen exclaims, “Doctor Narduchi? Any idea what she wants?”

“Nada. But it seems she was a lot closer to Jonas than we realized.”

“Were they lovers, or something?”

“I doubt that, but I think they were very close friends.”

They reach CyberFun and Kathleen gives Kyle a long kiss goodbye. While he exits the car she slips on the headset for her cell phone. She’s talking to her mother before she leaves the front of the building.

Kyle proceeds to CyberFun and goes into his office. He checks his messages, and is pleased there are no surprises. Looking in his wallet he finds the card from Jonas’ attorney. A secretary answers the call, and, on learning he’s Kyle Alexander, she puts him through to Mr Patterson. The two men talk briefly and Kyle explains the purpose of his call.

“Kyle, at the moment everything is on schedule. I’ve contacted the insurance companies, and, unless they give you problems about the suicide, their checks should be here within ten days.”

“I wasn’t aware anyone paid a claim on a suicide.”

“Actually, many companies today have a two year restriction. After that it should be like any other death.”

“Can I ask how much was the face value?”

“Both of them were for only a hundred thousand, but, remember, the money is tax free and is not a part of Jonas’ estate.”

“What about the funeral costs?”

“He prepaid most of them, but any additional amounts will be paid from the estate.”

“Mister Patterson, that helps a lot. Thank you.”

“Kyle, please call me Stanley. Jonas was too good a friend for me to get all formal with his grandson. Besides, I’m also your attorney as well as for your various companies.”

“I’ll try, but that’s not how Jonas raised me. Anything else?”

“Yes, tomorrow you should receive a registered letter informing you of the reading of the will on Thursday morning. Beyond that nothing else should happen until after the will is read.”

After they hang up Kyle starts toward his car, but changes his mind and decides to make the bank deposit while he’s in the area. He opens the safe and removes the deposit bag. He goes over the register receipts to count the money. When the deposit is finished he checks his change bag to see if he needs anything. He decides he needs three rolls of quarters, a pack of ones, and a pack of tens. To keep his record keeping correct he pulls five hundred and eighty dollars from his change fund. With everything ready he puts the change bag back into the safe and locks it. He gathers his backpack, the deposit bag, and heads for his car.

He starts the jeep, uses the remote to raise the door, and backs out. He hits the button to lower the door and drives the three blocks to the bank. Instead of using the drive through he parks and goes inside. The line is short so he’s soon standing in front of the next open teller. She recognizes him and retrieves the night deposit bags used Friday and Saturday. He unlocks them and hands her all three of the deposits. He also gives her his change requirement and the cash to cover it.

The teller asks, “Where’s Kathleen today? She usually makes the Monday deposits.”

“She’s busy starting to plan our wedding.”

The surprised teller almost screams in excitement as she exclaims, “Tell her Margie said, Go Girl!” She pauses for a second, then adds, in a less excited tone, “Of course, to you, I’ll just say, congratulations.”

Kyle grins when he replies, “Thanks, and I’ll give her your message.”

Margie returns to the job at hand. She makes the change and runs the deposits through the bank’s system. When she finishes she gives him the empty bags, the change, and the deposit receipts. Looking at the deposit slips while he leaves he’s surprised to find the total of the deposits is for more than forty-five thousand dollars.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.