Shiloh
Chapter 18: The Funeral and Afterwards

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

After joining his family Robert attempts to hide his excitement. The funeral goes as expected, though Robert is amazed by the outpouring of love and respect expressed by the overflow crowd and at the large number of young people present. At the end of the ceremony Robert finds himself surrounded by people offering their condolences and pouring forth many accolades for Jonas. Though he wants to feel pride in their heartfelt expressions of grief and praise Robert finds he can’t accept what he doesn’t understand; and he doesn’t understand what great things his father could’ve done. He thinks, Hell, the man was nothing more than a teacher and everyone knows that those that can’t, teach.


At Jonas’ funeral Ryan slips into the church just prior to the end of the service and pulls Charlotte to the side. Their stepping back toward the restrooms goes unnoticed. Charlotte asks, “Ryan, what’s so all-fired important you have to pull me out of the service?”

Ryan hands her several sheets of paper and answers, “Read these two emails I found on your husband’s computer and you’ll understand. I’ve a lot more information, but I figure these samples will thoroughly get your attention.”

By the time she finishes the e-mail to Mark Kelly at Texas Gulf she’s seething, and that’s just the first one. When she finishes the one to Brian Smiley she’s ready to kill Robert. “Ryan, you did the right thing. Now I need to speak to my eldest daughter and I need you to find Stanley Patterson. We need him to meet us somewhere immediately after the church service. Where are you parked, as I’ll need to ride with you to the meeting with Stanley?”

“Because I arrived late I illegally parked on the street in front of the church. I’ll get word to Stanley, but where do you want to meet him?”

“Wherever you choose. I’ll meet you at your car.”

Ryan goes to find Stanley. Charlotte waits at the rear of the church while the casket goes by, followed by Lucille, Robert, Kyle, Kathleen, and her daughters, along with well-wishers. When her family passes where she hides in the shadows Charlotte slips next to her oldest daughter.

“Felicia,” she whispers, “I need you to quietly tell Kyle to drive to the cemetery in his car and not the limo, I also need you and Courtney to ride with him. Call me on your cell phone once you’re in the car and I’ll explain. Oh, and don’t say anything to your dad; just do as I ask!”

Felicia smells intrigue, and from the look on her mother’s face she knows she’s deadly serious. Felicia replies, “OK, Mom. Not a problem.”

While Felicia responds Charlotte notes the coffin is being turned to the right toward the waiting hearse. Thus, when the others follow into the same hallway she continues straight out the front door. Once separated from the others she moves quickly to Ryan’s Blazer.

She reaches the car, enters, and slides low into the passenger’s seat to minimize the chance Robert might see her. Ryan immediately starts the car and drives away. After they’ve driven a block Charlotte straightens out of the slumped position. Another block later they pull into a small strip mall and wait. Within five minutes Stanley Patterson pulls up to Charlotte’s side of the car and they both lower their windows.

Stanley asks, “Missus Alexander, what’s this all about? Does it have to do with Kyle?”

“Yes, and please call me Charlotte. With my permission Ryan got into my husband’s computer and found out what they’re trying to do to Kyle and why. I felt we need to get you involved as soon as possible.”

“You did right. Do you have anything to justify a search warrant?”

Charlotte hands him the sheets Ryan gave her earlier. At the same time Ryan says, “Stanley, these are just two examples from his laptop. There’s plenty of other evidence too. The key is this is about much more than breaking up Kyle and KK, or getting Kyle to work with him. Robert is stealing millions from what’s primarily Charlotte’s company.”

“OK, let’s go to my office, because I need to make some calls.”

Before he can roll up his window Charlotte asks, “Stanley, I know Texas has a waiting period before marriage. What about New Mexico?”

“New Mexico has no waiting period and no blood test. Are you going to tell those kids to go get married?”

“That’s exactly what I’m going to do. We can still have the church wedding in a few weeks, but I want them to be legally married before Robert can try some other shenanigan to keep them apart. Especially now I know the asshole’s purpose behind everything.”

“Good, but tell them to call me as soon as it’s done, because I’ll need to change certain documents before tomorrow’s reading of the will.”

On the way to Stanley’s office Charlotte’s cell phone rings. Seeing, by the display, it’s her daughter, Charlotte answers, “Felicia, are you and Courtney with Kyle?”

“Yes, Ma’am. Now, can you tell us what’s going on?”

“Not at this point, other than your father’s been a very bad boy. What I want you to do is tell Kyle and KK to go to New Mexico after the burial and to get married. We’ll still have the church wedding, but I want them legally married today! Is that clear?”

“The instructions are, but the reason’s aren’t. Hang on one minute while I tell Kyle.”

Charlotte hears some muted talk in the background. Then she hears Kathleen, having taken the phone, ask, “Charlotte, what’s going on, and why New Mexico?”

“Your brother learned why Robert’s been trying so hard to separate you two and I want to quickly make that task a whole lot harder. That is, of course, if you’re still serious about marrying each other.”

“Oh, we’re very serious. I was just looking forward to the wedding we planned.”

“So am I, KK, so am I. We can still have that, but this is to protect you, legally. As for why New Mexico, they don’t require a waiting period or blood tests like they do in Texas. You go to the county clerk’s office, fill out a couple of forms, pay your fee, and they issue you a license. At that point any justice of the peace or judge can perform the legal ceremony.”

“If it’s legal does that mean I can finally give myself to Kyle?”

“It sure does.”

All right!” KK exclaims. Then, as an afterthought, she asks, “Will it be all right for my mom to go with us?”

“Sure, and I also want the girls to stay with you. I just wish I could be a part of the ceremony, but I need to be in the middle of this mess.”

“Mom, do Kyle or I have to worry about spending time in jail?” asks a now more solemn Kathleen.

“Part of why I need to be here is to keep that from happening. Also, don’t be surprised if, within twenty-four hours, this entire town doesn’t know the whole thing was a sham. Your good name will be restored and your mother can hold her head up high.”

“Can I tell her that?”

“Yes, but you need to caution her not to tell anyone before the official news release. It won’t change the clearing of your names, but it might allow Robert time to suppress evidence or to flee the country, and we don’t want that.”

“Well, I sure don’t want that to happen. I hope he rots in jail.”

“KK, from what I’m seeing here he just might.”


At the grave-site, while Kyle and his sisters are throwing handfuls of dirt on top of the casket Kathleen eases next to her mom.

Feeling KK’s presence Beverly whispers, “Have you seen Ryan?”

KK softly answers, “No, but I know where he is. I’ll explain shortly, but you need to go straight to your car and to follow Kyle.”

“I’ll be ready after I speak to the family, and especially to my friend, Charlotte.”

“Charlotte’s not here and she’s the one who told us to leave now. Mom, this really is important, but I can’t say more at the moment.”

“Oh! If that’s what Charlotte wants, I’ll go immediately to my car.”

“Good. We’re in Jonas’ Buick and I can see Kyle and both his sisters heading toward the car; I’ve got to rush to catch them. Now hurry!”


When Robert is able to break free he can’t find the other members of his family. Assuming they’ve taken another vehicle to the cemetery he rides alone in the limo assigned for immediate family. Of course, that doesn’t bother him because he’s seldom around them, anyway. He does feel more assured when he sees his daughters standing beside Kyle and Kyle’s soon to be ex-girlfriend. But he’s puzzled why he doesn’t see Charlotte anywhere. Who knows, he thinks, she may have become overcome with grief and had to return to the hotel.

The minister says a few more words of comfort to the family. The military escort folds the flag and gives it to Kyle. This is followed by the traditional pouring of a handful of dirt into the grave by the family, the three-volley salute, and finally a piper at the top of the hill playing a mournful rendition of Amazing Grace.

After being momentarily distracted by all the activity, when Robert looks back to where Kyle and the others are he’s very surprised to find they’re gone. This departure from what he expects makes him uneasy. Well, if truth be known, like most control freaks anything outside the norm and outside his control makes him uneasy.

With few other options Robert rides back to the funeral home in the Limo. He drives to Jonas’ house while expecting to find his family there. Unfortunately, when he arrives the only one there is the security guard.

“Mike, have you seen or heard from any of my family?”

“No, Sir. I haven’t seen or talked to a soul since you left.”

“OK, then maybe I should check the hotel or their cell phones.”

Robert calls every number he can think of, but no one answers any of his calls. This is really puzzling to him so he goes to the kitchen and pours himself a cup of coffee. He sits at the kitchen table and tries to figure out what’s happening. Deeply lost in his thoughts Robert almost doesn’t hear the ringing of the doorbell. When he hears the door open then voices he decides the security guard must have answered it.

“Mister Alexander,” Mike speaks from the doorway. “There are two policemen at the door with a search warrant.”

Robert gives a little smirk before putting on a somber face. Deciding he has the proper look and attitude he follows the guard to the front foyer. “Mister Kyle Alexander?” asks one of the two plain clothed police officers.

“That’s my son, Officer. How can I help you?”

“We’ve a warrant to search the house, and especially in his room.”

“Officer, I’m sure Kyle has nothing to hide. I’ll show you his room.”

Robert stands at the door and watches the two men methodically go from one end of the room to the other. Finally, one of the two checks between the mattress and box springs where he finds the envelope. He carefully checks inside then nods at his partner.

“What did you find?” asks Robert.

“I’m sorry, Sir, we can’t divulge that information.”

At the same time the other officer calls someone on his cell phone. “We found it, Sir. Where do you want us to go from here? OK, Sir, we’ll do that.”

The man ends the call. He looks at Robert. “Sir, do you know where we can find your son?”

“No, Officer. We just buried my father this afternoon and Kyle disappeared right at the end. Is he in some kind of trouble?”

“At the moment we just want to talk to him. Do you know what kind of car he was driving?” asks the other cop.

“Not for sure. Let’s see which car is in the garage.”

The three men walk through the house to the interior entrance to the garage. There’s a number of boxes, lots of tools, and some pictures sitting along the back wall, but the only vehicle found is Kyle’s Jeep. “Well, his Jeep is here,” says Robert, “so he must be driving my father’s car. It’s an older beige Buick, but I’ve no idea as to which model or what year.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.