Banner Year - Cover

Banner Year

Copyright© 2005 by Shrink42

Chapter 31

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 31 - His values, his beliefs, his attitudes, and his skills had been developed since a young age, through many experiences - some unique, some thrilling, some terrifying. There came a time when he had to evaluate them all and depend on them all as never before.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   mt/Fa   Consensual   Rape   Violence  

Author's Note: Sorry about the later submission, but hey - it's still Friday. Due to circumstances... yadda, yadda, yadda... if there are more typos than usual, sorry about that, too. Enjoy.


Suzanne Meinert felt a stab of jealousy as she and Rod walked up to the house with the real estate agent. She still could not understand why they were even bothering to look at this expensive one. Rod loved teaching and coaching, and they weren't poor. But there was never anything extra. This house was so perfect, it almost made her cry to think about it. But there was no way they could afford it.

All through the tour, her depression increased. If only...


Rod Meinert had been too angry to be nervous as he walked into the office of the college's athletic director. He had been angry ever since he had heard the theory about Penelope Overland maneuvering him out of town by purchasing this job for him. He knew instinctively that it was true - everything fit.

Rod had been ready to walk out right then, mid-season, he was so angry. Two things stopped him. The first he was proud of: he could not default on his team and leave them hanging. The recruiting he had done since hearing about it had been terribly hard, and he had pushed as much as he could onto one very personable, charismatic assistant who was a former player on the team.

The second reason Rod was less proud of. He did not want to quit without having another job, particularly living in a city far from what he considered home. With three small children, he had a typical teacher's nest egg - almost zero. Even the larger college salary had not gotten them completely out of debt. He was now very thankful that they had passed on the house offered to them for purchase at an attractive price. Renting looked perfect in his current dilemna. By agreement, they considered the proceeds from the sale of their former home to be untouchable.

There was one other aspect of this whole mess that Rod was not proud of. As certain as he was of the manipulation theory, he had initially said nothing to his wife. In their marriage, that was highly unusual. It was not surprising that she had noticed his edginess and unease after the discovery.

Her life had been miserable since arriving at the college. Even the increase in income had not helped. The faculty wives were a very closed group, and they seemed particularly cool to her. Neighbors and new church friends were only marginally better.

When the call from Patricia Jameson had come, offering him his old job, Rod accepted before she had finished asking. He had canceled practice that day and raced home to tell his wife the entire story.

When he had entered the AD's office to tell his boss that he was leaving, he had felt confident in his position. Cal and Dex had arranged for several talks with Marty Granville, Dex's lawyer, and she had given him all of the legal bases he needed.

Rod did not even sit as he stated "I will be leaving immediately after the season ends. I am letting my assistants do all of the rest of the recruiting. I do not want to recruit players and leave them right away."

"But you have two more years on your contract!" the AD had objected.

"Considering the unethical way in which I was brought here, I don't think you want to even mention a contract, do you, now?" That had stopped the AD, who just stared at Rod for several moments, then had apparently decided to pretend not to understand.

"It's a good contract. You know that," the AD had pointed out.

"The entire administration and athletic department have resented me since I arrived, and made certain to let me know it," Coach Meinert complained. "Now I understand why."

"But the team is doing so well! No one resents you now! We want you to stay."

"Then it's too bad you couldn't keep your mouths shut," Rad had said bitterly. "You all chose to tell your wives the whole story. After the hell they gave my wife, there is no way we could stay here."

The AD sat silent, unable to look at Rod. Before accepting the badly needed cash from Penelope Overland, there had been some heated discussions with the school's lawyers. The AD knew exactly the extent of their legal liablility.

"Oh, and I'm sure you will be happy to pay the balance of my first year's salary, our moving expenses back to where we came from, and the remaining months of our house lease here, won't you?"


Now they were back 'home', except that what had been their home now housed someone else, and they had to find a new place.

Walking in a trance through the lovely home, Suzanne recalled Rod's telling of his parting conversation with his boss at the college. From then on, the AD had done everything in his power to make their departure easy. She was very glad to be back, but she wished they had never sold their former house.

She was reminiscing, afraid to even think about how nice this house was, when she thought the agent said a number that could not be right.

"I... I'm sorry," Suzanne said. "I missed what you just said."

"This is a very unique situation," the agent said. "A corporation bought this house as temporary quarters for transient executives. Things have not gone well for them, and they need to liquidate quickly."

"But that's... that's a hundred thousand less than it's worth!" Suzanne exclaimed. "The listing said..."

"That's right," the agent interrupted. "And because of that, you can get a mortgage with very little down. I hate to sound like I am pressuring you, but this definitely will not last long. The corporation has already lined up financing, they are so anxious to get their money. You could be in within a week."

There was a lot more than what the agent described that had gone on behind the scenes. The corporation that owned the house was one of several shells belonging to Genevieve Overland. The agent had been well compensated for first buying the house for Genevieve's corporation with cash, then re-listing it for a premium price. The ridiculously low 'clearance' price was for the Meinerts only. For Genevieve, it would be another deduction.

Not only had the financing been all lined up, the Meinert's had been pre-approved. Literally, all that was needed was their signature and a modest down payment that was easily covered by the equity from their previous home. There was some risk assuming they would want this particular house, but with the investigative resources available to Genevieve, she had a good idea of Suzanne's preferences.

Genevieve had always maintained a high level of philanthropic activity and donations. She considered it part of her 'noblesse oblige'. Somehow, though, her intervention for the Meinerts affected her as no other contribution had. Not only was it compensation for her daughter-in-law's misdeeds. It forced her to look closely at an average family, something that had happened to her a lot recently.

First the Armstrongs, then the Carsons, and now the Meinerts. It brought to her attention how isolated her view of the world had become. Her change in perspective had started with Cheryl's obvious disdain for her. Robin's almost identical attitude convinced Genevieve that Cheryl was not an isolated case.

After Greg's death, the response of the teens with the most reason to hate him had forced further reevaluation. Intervention for the Meinerts was the first personal good deed in far too long for Genevieve, and she marveled at the satisfaction it gave her.

Suzanne Meinert knew nothing of Genevieve's efforts on her behalf. The pain of the year at the college would never be completely erased for Suzanne, but as she floated back to their car after signing the purchase offer for her dream home, she could not remember a single slight or caustic remark any longer.


Suzanne was still barely touching the ground two days after the purchase offer when she and Rod drove up to the Banner home for dinner. There had been some discussion of the appropriateness of accepting such an invitation from a player's family, but Rod had quickly quelled that concern. "Without Cal," he told his wife, "you would still be suffering from the bitches back at the college."

When Suzanne finished greeting the Banners, she saw Dex Madison standing behind them and rushed to give him a hug. Dex's tragic arrival at the school had been the spark that had vaulted the team to the elite ranks in the state. More than just his skill as a player, Suzanne had developed a genuine love for the young man.

As the group relaxed over coffee, Rod came out and asked the question that had been bothering him. "Cal, did you have anything to do with the unbelievable buy we got on the house?"

"Where would I get that kind of money?" Cal asked with a show of shock that made Cheryl giggle. "Cheryl, why don't you tell them about our meeting with Genevieve." Both of the Meinerts showed their surprise as Cheryl recounted the 'closure' luncheon.

"So, Mrs. Overland took the loss on the house?" Rod asked.

"I assume so," Cal answered. "I suspect part of the reason was atonement for what Penelope did to you folks. I also think that she is changing her mind about a lot of things since Greg's death and because of her dealings with Cheryl and Robin." That led to questions that Cal and Cheryl deflected with fairly general answers.

"Cal, can I assume that you will come out for the team next year?" Rod asked.

Cal knew that question would be coming. "If you and Principal Jameson agree that it is OK, I will." That earned him a hug from Cheryl and bright smiles from his mother and sister. "There's one thing, though."

"Oh, what's that?" Rod asked.

"I think you should make Mahmoud the point guard. He's made great progress this year. He's good enough to play college ball, but his height is a problem. As a 6'4" guard, colleges would snap him up."

"That's a good point," Rod mused, "but what about your college chances?"

"Well, I'd like to talk about that later," was all Cal would say right then.

When Martin, Rod, Dex, and Cal were together a bit later, Cal excused himself and fetched Cheryl. He took a deep breath for the momentous announcement he was about to make. "I'm going to join Cheryl at college." Martin showed some surprise but mostly pleasure. Cheryl could not hide the beginning of tears, as she had not heard him declare it so firmly before. "I'd like some opinions on what I should do for sports. I assume I'm too small and slow for basketball, but what do you think?"

Dex answered first. "Even though it's a smaller school in a lesser conference, you're probably right. The quality of basketball at many smaller colleges is amazing - just look at Loyola, St. Joseph's, Cincinatti, and a lot of others. Of course, the way you can shoot, any team needs a gunner."

"But I probably would have to settle for spot time, right?" Cal asked. Both Rod and Dex nodded.

"Well, I've got golf to consider, and they have a team," Cal said.

"What about football?" Martin asked.

"Again, size is against me," Cal said.

"Yeah, but everyone needs a kicker," Cheryl interjected.

"I'm just not willing to spend all of that time just to be a kicker."

Rod spoke up. "Dex is right about the small conferences having very competitive basketball programs. Football, though, is a different matter. Because it takes so many more players, the talent level is definitely below the major conferences. You're a good defensive back, and I think you could make it if you wanted to."

Cheryl posed the key question. "But will they be willing to risk their kicker playing defense?"

"I could just refuse to kick," Cal offered.

"What sense does it make to ignore your most competitive skill?" Dex asked.

"Tell you what," Rod said after a protracted silence. "Let's see how basketball goes next year, and I'll talk to the college coach. I'll get the football coach involved, too. For golf, you're on your own." That produced a chuckle from all of them.

Cheryl was staying over with Cal that night. "You turd!" she said once they were alone, belying her pretend anger with the ferocity of her embrace. "What a way to tell me!"

"Hey, I told you I'd follow you," he protested.

"Yeah, but I thought that was just... when did you really decide?"

She knew him far too well. "When I couldn't sleep prom night," he admitted.

"After you wiped me out?" she asked in obvious disbelief.

"Being with the other couples brought up a lot of questions that I had to deal with. That's what I decided." Cheryl certainly expressed no displeasure with his decision for the rest of the evening. Quite the opposite, in fact.


The very next evening, Chery told Cal "Congratulations, Honey. You're now the coach of Shelley's softball team."

"Huh?" was Cal's brilliant rejoinder.

"Yup. I signed you up today. There's a coaches' meeting with the league director tomorrow night..."

"But... but I don't play softball!"

"Oh, you've played lots of pickup, and you're a sports fan. You know everything you need to know. Besides, the girls will all fall in love with you, so they'll do anything you ask them to."

"Cheryl!"

"Julia said!" Cheryl explained with a little-girl pout. "You're supposed to get involved with people. My little sister needs involvement from her hero."

"Her hero?"

"Come on, Lover. You're not that clueless. Sometimes my sister hates me 'cause I got you first."

"Oh, I forgot to mention," Cheryl went on. "You have an assistant who played college softball."

"I'm not even going to try to guess," Cal moaned.

"It's Robin, Silly! She needs this as much as you do."

"I need this?"

"Of course. Julia said!" The little-girl tone was back again.

Cal spent several more minutes objecting, with the expected result. He finally got around to asking what should have been the obvious first question. "Why aren't you the coach, Cheryl?"

Her face lost all of the playfulness with which she had told him about his new job. She looked down for a moment, and when she raised her head, her eyes were moist. "Honest, Cal, I just found out this morning. I may not be here for most of the girls' season."

"Huh?" Cal was using that brilliant conversational gambit a lot.

"I begged and pleaded and got an advisor assigned right away. I can enroll for some classes this summer. If I use the summers and pile on the credits, I can graduate in three years."

"And that's good because?

She could not miss the bitter edge to his voice, and it sent fear deep into her heart. They had planned on having most of the summer to themselves, at least until August when she had to report for pre-season volleyball camp. Robin and Ken had already started to work with her to improve her game before she reported, and she would miss six weeks of that if she left early. She knew how disappointed Cal would be. Not that she didn't feel the same way.

For all of her strength, this was as hard as anything Cheryl had faced for a long time. Trying to look him in the face when she answered him, she failed, and she shook with a poorly stifled sob.

Cal's flash of anger died instantly as he saw her distress. She had done so many things that were very difficult, and going to school early was another one. He had always been there to support her, and now he had hurt her with his reaction. She had not talked to him about this possibility, and that was a violation of the openness and the trust that characterized their relationship. From the current level of emotions, he could see why she had not been able to discuss it.

He did not take a deep breath because he did not want her to see the effort it took to re-aquire his composure. Finally flushed of his brief angry flash, he said gently. "Honey, I'm sorry I reacted that way. You, uh, just caught me by surprise. If you can cut off a year, that would be great."

"Really?" She was able to look at him, and searched his face carefully for any pretense or lingering anger. Apparently finding none, she explained "In med school and residency, there's nothing I can do to make it shorter. Undergrad is sort of just a warmup - just to get you in the door. Honest, Cal - if you say 'no', I'll just wait until August."

"Oh, Cheryl, I wouldn't insist on six more weeks if it would cost you another semester or another year of school. Come here." He held out his arms and she almost knocked him over as she charged into the embrace.

"I was wrong not to talk to you about it," she sniffled. "I knew how disappointed you would be. And I didn't know if I could leave early, either."

"Baby, we've always tried to do things logically and sensibly. I don't think it's made us love each other any less, has it?" he asked. He could feel her shake her head against his shoulder. "Well, this is the right thing to do. I'm so proud of you for working it out!"


"The girl's all want to win," the league director was saying at the coaches' meeting, "but that's not the most important thing for us as the leadership. The biggest thing for a thirteen or fourteen-year-old girl is self-esteem. If any of you are here because of your own competitive drive, I would ask you to bow out gracefully. I would rather struggle to find more coaches than end up with what some boys' little leagues turn into." Cal was very impressed with the woman. She really seemed to have the girls' best interests at heart.

His initial grumpiness at Cheryl for forcing him into this job had not lasted through their discussion about her starting school early. Shelley's absolute explosion of joy when they told her she would be playing ball with Cal as her coach had given him a whole new perspective on what the job was really about.

The meeting went on, with each coach receiving a schedule of games and pre-assigned practice times and places. That caused Cal to bring up a point that concerned him.

"I don't know about Mr. Franklin (the only other male head coach), but I'm going to insist that one team mother be present at every practice. Legally, I think that is necessary in today's environment."

The director gave him a long look, not of disapproval, but of uncertainty. "I understand," she said finally, "but I'm afraid you will have to arrange that on your own."

By agreement, Cheryl met Cal and Robin at Cal's house after the league meeting. "Make my mother be there for every practice," Cheryl said upon hearing Cal's concern about having a mother present at practices.

"Make her?"

"You know you can," Cheryl insisted. She then proceeded to tell a confused Robin about her mother's submissiveness. "It will do a couple of other good things, too. It will get Shelley and Mom together on something. Maybe they won't be such strangers as I Mom and I got to be. And Mom needs to get into something athletic."

"So I'm going to be repairing your messed up family, huh?" Cal asked.

"Julia said!" Cheryl seemed to like that phrase a lot. Again, Robin looked confused, so Cheryl explained about their sessions with Julia. "Hot tub!" She exclaimed, seemingly extremely upbeat after the trauma of telling Cal about her early departure.

"Um, do you maybe have a suit for me?" Robin asked.

"No suits!" Cheryl insisted, now in a mood that Cal had only rarely seen.

"Cheryl!" Both Robin and Cal exclaimed simultaneously. Cal was very surprised, but Robin looked frightened.

"No, I... I... I'd better get home," Robin stammered.

For some reason, Cheryl was really determined. "Robin, you stripped for Greg - an asshole that you hated. So what's the problem getting naked in the hot tub with the nicest guy in the world?"

"Please, Cheryl! I... I just..." As Robin continued to protest, Cal held his peace, intrigued by the interplay between the women.

"Oh, all right," Cheryl conceded, seeing her new friend's near panic. "Let's see what we can find for a suit."

A few minutes later, they were in the tub, but Robin still looked distressed. Cheryl had been saying comforting things to her all along, with little effect. Cal decided that he had better step in. "Robin, don't feel bad. It's not Christmas, and not my birthday, either, so if I don't get the present of seeing you naked, well..." He gave an overly dramatic shrug.

Despite her upset, Robin could not help smiling, and splashed some water at Cal. "It's only a small consolation, but you've got to tell me about stripping for Greg," Cal demanded as he returned her splash.

After some weak objections, Robin told the story of her work with Greg in some detail. When she finished, they were all quiet for some time. In a complete change of pace, Robin asked "Cheryl, are you bi at all?"

"Huh?" Cheryl briefly adopted Cal's favorite response of late.

"It's obvious you're not lesbian," Robin said with a grin. "The reason I ask is because of what you'll probably run into with the volleyball team."

"Oh, there are several on the teams at school," Cheryl explained confidently. "I don't bother them and they leave me alone."

"Yeah, but that's high school," Robin protested. "I work with quite a few college players. They are older, and the lezzies can get pretty belligerent. A common initiation for freshman recruits is to eat out the seniors in a group deal."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.