Banner Year - Cover

Banner Year

Copyright© 2005 by Shrink42

Chapter 25

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 25 - His values, his beliefs, his attitudes, and his skills had been developed since a young age, through many experiences - some unique, some thrilling, some terrifying. There came a time when he had to evaluate them all and depend on them all as never before.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   mt/Fa   Consensual   Rape   Violence  

Strong actions are often required of strong people, and Cheryl was a very strong person. Her contract to manage Greg was immoral. But there was no question it required incredible strength.

When a crisis hit her family, Cheryl stepped in and used her strength to keep her family from disintegrating into a dysfunctional mess. She was driven by a deep love for her brother and her sister, and an innate respect for the family as a vital institution.

In many discussions with Cal and the girls, often tearful discussions, she confessed to having lost her love for her parents. She felt guilty for not feeling for them what she believed she was supposed to feel. That made her even more determined to take control during her father's disability.

Cheryl's discovery of the submissive nature of both of her parents left her bewildered and sometimes angry. Often wondering how she herself could be so decisive, she found herself taking on the brunt of the decision-making for the household.

With Marty's help, funds for eight-hour-a-day nursing coverage were secured. That was not necessarily easy on Hal, since all of the available help was female. Once nursing help was secured, Cheryl was determined that she not have to further embarrass her father by helping him pee.

Cal became a wonderful ally in Cheryl's attempts at preserving Hal's modesty. Cal found a medical specialty shop that carried all kinds of prosthetic aids. Being careful to let Cheryl take the lead, he had her outfit Hal's casts with a combination of devices that allowed him to do some grasping, pulling, and poking.

Within just a few days, Hal was able to pee by himself, as long as he wore just sweatpants. Cheryl had known he was very body-shy, but the boost to his spirits surprised her. Seemingly a little thing, being able to use the TV remote turned into another major boost.

From the first day, Hal had been convinced that Cheryl wanted nothing more than to take control of the household and humiliate him. Her protests to the contrary fell on deaf ears. With the little modifications to his casts and the fact that she never again aided him in the bathroom, he began to at least believe that she had no desire to humiliate him.

Cheryl gave Hal plenty of reason to believe that she intended to take over the household, which, in fact, she felt she had to do. As soon as the nursing coverage was secured, Cheryl used some of her money to purchase a three month health club membership for her mother.

It was another of those uncomfortable meetings between Cheryl and her parents, this time on a Sunday afternoon. "Dad, Mother will be spending Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings at a health club from now on. You will be fine here alone with your nurse." This stunned both parents, since Cheryl had not told her mother about it. "Mother, help Dad pee and grab your purse. The mall stores are open for two more hours, and I know you don't have any workout clothes."

The explosion of resistance was predictable and vigorous, and the debate raged for half an hour. Hal was sullen when the women left, but Cheryl had anticipated that. The one quick view of her parents in the shower that first night had convinced her that Darlene's neglect of her rather nice body was a crime - a crime she could do something to remedy.

Knowing that she had lost her love for her parents, Cheryl asked herself why she even cared enough to try to improve their lives. Part of it was to try to give her siblings some chance at normalcy, but it went deeper than that. It was Cal who figured it out one night in one of their intimate discussions.

"Look, I'm not trying to brag, but you spent two months living with us, and I've got a pretty awesome family."

"You got that right."

"And so does Tessa, now that they're back together."

"Even before," Cheryl corrected. "I still almost cry every time I see Tessa and her mom together."

"Cheryl, you're a fixer - you want to see things made right. Whatever else you feel about them, they're your family. If they're screwed up, you kinda feel it's your failure. Now that you realize what's wrong, you can't help wanting to fix it."

"Yeah, but how much can I really do?"

"Well, I worry about that," he told her. "You can't make them into the Banners, or the Walts, or the Armstrongs. I just hope you can live with that: do what you can and feel good about that. It's not a problem you created."

"Maybe you should be the one going to med school, becoming a shrink."

"Not a chance," Cal proclaimed. "Your family sure could use one, though." Cheryl was strangely quiet after that comment from Cal.

"Really, Cal. What are you going to take in college? You've got the grades for pre-med. Or anything you want."

Now it was Cal's turn to pause before responding. College was a subject he knew would have to be addressed in the next few months, but one he would rather not think about for a while. "You know, I haven't said this to anyone else, but I just can't see myself in college."

"You're kidding! Don't you like school?"

"Oh, It's not that I don't like it. Somehow it just doesn't seem... I don't know... significant?"

"I'm stunned, Cal. You know, your parents think you're going to law school."

"Not a chance."

"Really? Well, don't you want to play football? Or basketball?"

"I'm too small. All I could do is kick, and I'm not willing to put in all that time just to be a kicker."

"So what will you do? Build the photography business?"

"Right now, I don't have any idea."

"Well, maybe we should take your mind off of it for a while."

After a half hour of very little thought but a whole lot of feelings, they were nearly asleep when Cheryl asked "Didn't you say you went to a shrink after Ismi's brother was killed?"

"Yeah. She was something. Dr. Waxman," Cal finished with a yawn.


Two days after her conversation with Cal in her bed, Cheryl sat in Dr. Julia Waxman's office. "Dr. Waxman, I want to tell you what I did. Then I want to see if we can come up with a way to get my parents to meet with you."

"So you think your parents are the ones who really need it?" Julia prodded after they had talked for quite a while.

"Yes I do. Oh, I know I'm affected by what has happened, but I've had someone to talk to all along - three someones, actually. Also, if I tell my parents that I had to get help to get over what I did, it might help to get them in here."

"Who did you have to talk to?"

"Two really close girlfriends and my boyfriend. Cal Banner says hi, by the way." When Julia did not react, Cheryl thought she may not have remembered Cal, but then it hit her. "Oh, you can't acknowledge that he was a patient, can you? Well, I'm sure you would be proud of him. Here." She handed Julia a letter from Cal that authorized full disclosure of their interaction.

"Cal was very young when I saw him, but he was a unique patient," Julia said after reading the letter. "Are you in love with him?"

"Oof! You don't start with easy stuff, do you? We love each other a lot. But because of my career plans, I can't let myself be committed to anyone."

"But you still didn't answer my question."

"I... I thought we were going to talk about getting help for my parents."

"Cheryl, you have been describing to me a dysfunctional family. Like it or not, you are part of that family. You cannot escape without scars. I sense in you a very strong desire to try to 'fix' your family. For that to work, you must be in the best possible shape yourself.

"Now, I'm not sure how much money you planned to commit to this, but I would strongly encourage you to schedule several sessions for yourself. If you were still seeing me, would it not be even easier to get your parents in here?"

"Dr. Waxman, I know it will cost a lot of money, and I earned mine for med school. But if I go away knowing what could happen to my brother and sister, I don't think I could concentrate on school. The money I whored myself to earn would be wasted."

"I see. What are you afraid will happen?"

"Well, Dad, the ultimate male chauvinist macho man, was blessed with two athletic daughters and one totally non-athletic son. I know what they tried to do to me. I don't know if Shelley can take it. And what about Matt, and Dad's expectations of him. Poor kid has already been forced through five years of baseball where he was totally inept."

"Don't you think you have changed their opinions already?"

"I really don't think so. They think I'm just wayward. The stuff with Greg was just more proof, as far as they were concerned."

"So, they think you did it all to strike back at them, not just so you could be a doctor?"

"I think so. Yes. Being a doctor is not something any normal girl would want, after all." Cheryl's voice was heavy with sarcasm.

"Cheryl, I greatly admire what you want to do for your parents. But if you are going to spend that kind of money, I urge you to take care of yourself, too. Your own wounds are deeper than you realize. Why take a chance on those wounds hindering your quest for that M.D.?"

The rest of the hour was taken up with questions and answers about the Carson family. At the end, Julia summarized. "So, dealing with your arrangement with Greg and with your father's injury will be the 'hooks' that will convince your parents to come and talk to me, is that what your plan is?"

"That's right. Do you think you can keep them coming, as long as I pay?"

"I certainly hope so. Of course, not having met them, I'm not sure what I may be up against, but I will use the first couple of sessions to find triggers that will keep them interested. Usually, there are some.

"One more thing to be aware of, Cheryl; even if you are paying, I cannot reveal what goes on with your parents, unless they give me permission."

"Oh. Well, you have my permission to tell them anything about me that would help, OK?"


Cheryl worked out a little subterfuge with Marty. Marty positioned the initial visits with Julia as part of the medical compensation for Hal's injury. In the process of that discussion, they had to strategize how to get enough funds from the trust to cover the expected cost of twenty to thirty total sessions.

To Cheryl's surprise and delight, Hal accepted the appointments with Julia easily. Cheryl stayed out of it and let Marty set things up. Putting on her own therapist's hat, Cheryl believed that Marty had managed to establish herself in a dominant position in Hal's mind. Since she was a woman, that was quite remarkable, and it bode well for Julia's success in treating them.


As it turned out, the volleyball team went through three single matches to qualify for the regionals, which were double elimination. There, they lost an early match and worked their way up the loser's side. Unfortunately, they lost the match that would have sent them to state. Hal was ready to go for every match after the first, without complaint.


The volleyball team was not the only undefeated conference champion that fall. On the strength of a defense that was virtually bulletproof by the end of the season, the football team accomplished what had been hoped for before the loss of Greg and Chad. In later years, the coach would talk of it as the most satisfying season of his career.

The incredible team spirit, centered on Vick's personality, which had become as dominant as his play, carried the team to several dramatic upset wins. His will to win infused everyone on both sides of the ball. With Rickert's whole-hearted entry into the defensive scheme, the defense was able to more than offset the offense's inexperience and occasional yielding of points. In the last five games, the defense had outscored the opponents' aggregate offense.

Because of the first playoff game, Cal continued with football practice, even though basketball practice had officially started. On Tuesday morning of that week, he was summoned from class to the office of Coach Hall, the new basketball coach. "Banner, why weren't you out for basketball yesterday?"

"Football, Coach. We have a playoff game Friday."

"But football season is over. I have to implement a whole new system, and I need every player for every day possible."

Cal probably should have said nothing, but he could not help himself. "You mean you're really going to throw out the system that has been so successful here? The system that is taught all the way up through elementary and middle schools?"

"I was brought here to bring order to a program that has been dependent on helter-skelter playground basketball. It may take a few years, but before long, my system will be taught in the elementary and middle schools. It WILL be implemented here at the high school, starting now. Can I expect you at practice tonight?"

Cal could not help laughing out loud. "Do you expect me to skip football practice?"

"Look, Banner. I'll be frank with you. My other possibility at point guard transferred out, so I really need you."

"Even if you changed practice times, I could not do both and do either one well. I will not be able to practice basketball until football is finished."

Hall was in a bind, the first of several he would face with Cal. He needed to have control over his players, and that meant having them in practice. He should tell Banner to just forget it, he would not be on the team. However, Hall had watched the films, and the kid was perfect for his system. He was disciplined, composed, and a deadly outside shooter.

Leaving the situation unresolved, Hall just motioned Cal out of his office as he pretended to concentrate on some paper work.


The football team won the first playoff game 10-7 on the strength of Cal's last-second field goal. The opponents' touchdown had come on an interception.

The second playoff game was another nail-biter. Jeron broke a long run for an early touchdown and Cal hit a field goal early in the third quarter. The opposition got two field goals and a late fourth quarter touchdown. Vick went sky-high to block the extra point, and with two minutes left, Cal's team was down 12-10 and could win with a field goal.

The desperation drive started optimistically, getting down to the opponents' forty. Unfortunately, the drive stalled there. With time for only one play and facing fourth and eight, the coach decided to let Cal try a fifty-five yarder for the win. There was a moderate but gusting quartering wind from behind Cal. Distance would not be the problem, but it could be blown off course.

Everything felt perfect to Cal and the ball rocketed off of his foot. Later, experts estimated that his kick would have reached from seventy yards. On its way, the ball visibly jigged back and forth a couple of times. It ended up passing over the left upright.

The winning team was strictly up to the referee's decision. He paused an agonizing two or three seconds, looking up along the upright. Then, he signaled 'no good'.

There is no good way for a dream season to end, except in a championship. Unfortunately, that was not to be for Cal's team. Every last player, coach, and fan was certain the kick was good, but there was no recourse. The ref crew left the field with more speed than any of the players had shown during the game. There was no good film to provide a 'moral victory' later.

With Vick and the coach leading the way and Cal right behind, the team gave very subdued congratulations to the opponent and walked silently to their locker room. The pizza party went on as scheduled, and Vick and Cal tried to participate, but their hearts definitely were not in it. The feeling that the victory had been taken from them was hard to shake.

Coach did something unprecedented the Sunday after the loss. With his own money, he hired a banquet room at a hotel and invited all of the players and their families for a buffet supper. In response to Vick's plea, Tessa and Cheryl were included. It turned out that several families chipped in to cover the cost, including the Banners.

"I could retire from coaching tonight, completely satisfied with my career," the coach said after everyone had eaten. "This is by far the most exceptional team I have ever had. It has been a privilege and an inspiration to work with you."

"What happened before the first game should have ruined the season. Everyone predicted that it would. But you guys, on your own, decided that was not going to happen. By sheer force of will and the strongest team spirit I have ever seen, you made fools of all of the experts. I was never more proud of any of my teams, even the state champs of several years ago."

"And I was never more proud than after that awful final loss. Parents, your sons showed what the true spirit of sportsmanship is all about, and you can be proud. Believe me, our opponents, the press, and everyone else saw it, too."

"Vick Smaak, would you please come up here? You all know that he was named all-conference. Well, maybe because they felt badly about the way we lost, because I have been given some information before it was released to the press. First, Vick, here is your trophy for being named All-State defensive tackle."

The whole room was instantly on its feet, and the cameras of the press who were present were flashing away. "That's not all, though. I don't have another trophy or anything, but I got a very nice phone call yesterday. Vick, you have been selected to the second team of the High School All-American squad."

After the ensuing pandemonium subsided, Coach went on to give out several other awards before the party disbanded in a mood of general good feeling. Nothing could wipe out the sting of that loss, but the edge of the pain was definitely dulled.


Cal had been thinking about Monday ever since the loss on Friday. The way Coach Hall had left things in their meeting, it seemed that unless Cal had come to basketball practice as soon as it started, he would not be welcome on the squad. On the other hand, Hall had mentioned how much he needed Cal.

Given that there was room for misunderstanding, Cal decided to force Hall to come to him by not going to practice. If Hall did not seek him out, Cal would not be destroyed. With the unappealing new system and what he had heard from friends about the coach's style, he was not very excited about the upcoming season.

Bottom line, it was his friends - his teammates - that were the biggest reason for Cal to play that year. That, and his natural aversion to quitting.

Tuesday morning, Cal was again summoned from class to Hall's office. "Banner, where were you last night?"

"I was under the impression that if I didn't come to the first practice, I was not welcome on the team."

"I never told you that!" Hall declared indignantly. "Do you mean you were ready to just give up the season because of what you thought I said?"

Here, Cal had to decide how honest to be. What made the decision for him was his instinctive dislike for Hall. Cal liked to think he was tolerant and accepting of people, but the new coach just irritated him. He just told his feelings straight out. "I have not been looking forward to the season very much, so if I sit out, it will not be a big disappointment."

"Not looking forward to it!?" Hall almost shouted. "I've seen the films and watched you play football. You're a competitor. How can you not be looking forward to playing?"

"Because your system takes the fun out of the game. We have speed, size, and talent on the team: enough to get to State again. Your system will waste it all."

"Listen, you... !" Hall started out before catching himself. This kid was impudent and arrogant. The problem was, Hall needed him badly. Without him, Hall would have to depend on the black kids, and that was something he would try very hard to avoid. He should straighten the kid out right away, but he had the distinct feeling the kid really would just walk away.

"... you should just come out tonight. You'll have some catching up to do."

Now it was decision time for Cal. "OK." was all he said as he left to return to class.


From Cal's first practice, things looked bad. The coach had a number of seemingly senseless rules that he expected to be followed. For instance, if anyone shot before three different players touched the ball, they got yelled at and were usually made to sit down. Except on a fast break, they were forbidden to shoot until fifteen seconds had elapsed. Fast breaks were almost forbidden. The coach insisted that all players maintain defensive and rebounding position until possession was guaranteed. An up-court pass was only allowed if no opposing player was across the ten-second line.

Treatment of the players was another major difference. The previous coach had instructed, corrected, and encouraged. Hall criticized and punished. Cal could see team morale deteriorating before his eyes.

Actually, Cal's skills fit the new system very well. His court awareness helped him to make the best passes and to signal his teammates where to move. A key goal of the system was to free someone for an open outside shot. With his elusiveness and deadly accuracy, Cal knew that he could BE the offense if he allowed himself to be.

One incident occurred during the first major intra-squad scrimmage when Cal brought the ball up. As he reached the three-point line, Dante did one of his patented moves to get a small step on his defender, arcing toward the basket. As he had done many times the previous year, Cal hit Dante with a perfectly timed pass that the big center took on the way up for the dunk.

The ball was not even in the basket before the whistle was shrilling. Coach Hall yelled out "Banner! Do you need to go back to kindergarten and learn counting to three? I suppose fifteen is way beyond you!"

Knowing he probably should have said nothing, Cal asked "Coach, are we really supposed to pass up easy baskets because of the rule?"

"We are going to stick with the system!" the coach bellowed. "One opportunity is insignificant. Over the course of a game, the system will wear down the opposition."

Mahmoud made a big mistake and muttered a little too loudly "If it doesn't wear us down first." That produced a ten-minute tirade where Coach Hall loudly elaborated on the true ranking of coaches and players in the basketball universe.

After that practice, the coach called Cal into his office. "Banner," he started out in his usual pompous fashion, "You are our floor leader and a hell of a shooter. I need you completely on board for us to be successful. Can I count on you?" Cal thought he was looking at outtakes from a bad sports movie.

"I will follow the rules and run the offense the way you want," Cal replied, making sure his lack of enthusiasm was clear.

"But I need you on board. You need to believe in the system," the coach insisted.

"Coach, I'm sorry. I'm a team player and you're the coach. I will do what you tell me to do. But I can't buy into your system. It's all wrong. You are wasting talent that could take us to state again."

"I will not be reduced to playground basketball!!" Hall shouted.

"It was not playground basketball that got us to state," Cal shouted back, dropping any pretense of being respectful. "Every fast break pattern, every inlet pass, every pick, every kickout was drilled over and over so it was all as natural as breathing."

"That's just rationalizing race horse nonsense that depends on fancy moves to score."

"What you call fancy moves is called athleticism. We've got a lot of it on this team," Cal corrected, working hard to hold his temper.

"But too little discipline. We will do it my way and play controlled basketball," Hall insisted.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.