Ellen
Chapter 10: Planning their Future

Copyright© 2005 by Argon

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 10: Planning their Future - This is set twenty years after the events of "In the Navy". The lives of Anthony Carter and his family are turned topsy-turvy by the arrival of Ellen, a young shepherdess. Follow the lives of the Carters and their friends and relatives during the late regency era and explore foreign countries and cultures with them. History is not necessarily dry! Winner of the 2021 Classic Clitoris Award.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Fa/ft   Teenagers   Consensual   Romantic   Rape   Lesbian   Heterosexual   Historical   Tear Jerker   First   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Petting  

Richard was properly awed. He was sitting as unobtrusively as possible at a table opposite his grandfather. His father on his right side was talking tariffs and sugar prices with one of the wealthiest men in the realm. Sir Robert Norton was a legend, a commercial genius whose net worth was rumoured to exceed three million pounds. Richard knew that his father held substantial interest in shipping and foreign trade, but he had never known him to be so well connected. Richard followed the sound maxim to watch, listen, and keep his mouth shut unless spoken to. He vaguely understood some of the issues due to the lessons Mr. Rawlings had given him.

He looked at his grandfather. The old man looked back at him with a twinkle in the eye and smiled. Richard realised that the old man was even more clueless about the discussion. Apparently his father and Sir Robert had now settled an urgent matter regarding the taxation of American cotton, and Sir Robert explained in simple terms why the Lords should block a motion in the Commons initiated by British cotton planters. Lord Lambert listened attentively and promised his support. Richard held his breath for a second. He was witnessing policy making. The discussion at their table would probably influence the lives of many people who were involved in cotton production and trade. The moment did not last long, for Sir Robert addressed him personally.

“And you, my silent young man? How did you enjoy the lessons of our Mr. Rawlings?”

How did the millionaire know about his tutor? Richard formulated his answer cautiously.

“It is something that I like to learn, Sir Robert. Mr. Rawlings said that I have a good understanding of commerce. It is necessary for me to know about these matters if I want to preserve our family interest.”

Sir Robert nodded and smiled.

“Your father and I have been discussing that just a few months ago. That’s why we meet here today. I wanted to get a personal impression of you, and I must say that I like what I saw. You watch and listen, and you think before you speak, not giving away too much. Your father has asked me whether I would accept you as my personal assistant. In all modesty, this is a highly coveted position for it provides the incumbent with the opportunity to learn from me. Are you interested?”

Again, Richard weighed his response.

“If you think that I may be of use for you, Sir Robert, I would appreciate the chance.”

The old merchant smiled.

“Oh yes, I think you will. Not immediately, but after some time you will be very useful.” He chuckled. “My second to last assistant is now an undersecretary in the Trade Ministry. You may believe me that he is very useful. Having anybody in the ministry who knows about commerce is an invaluable asset. Come to my house next Monday at seven. I start the day early.”

“Thank you, Sir Robert. I will be there.”

Norton got up and bowed slightly.

“Milord, Sir Anthony, it was a pleasure seeing you. Master Carter, enjoy the remaining days!”

The others had also risen and bowed. When Norton had left, they sat down again and Lord Lambert ordered French Cognac brandy. Richard sipped the brandy carefully. He was not really accustomed to ardent spirits.

“Are you surprised, Richard?” his father asked.

Richard nodded. “I guess I am. At least now I understand why you wanted me to quit Eton. You have been planning this.”

“Yes,” his father conceded. “You are too talented to waste your youth as a country gentleman. If you spend a year in Sir Robert’s shadow, you will learn more than enough about commerce to make the next move.”

Richard looked his question, but is was Lord Lambert who spoke.

“Richard, I view you as the potential heir to my title. Andrew has no sons and one day you may succeed him as 3rd Baron Lambert. I do not wish for my successor to be an idler in the salons of London, living off the merits and fortunes of his forebears. Your father, your uncle and I could leave our mark in the Navy, and you need something to prove yourself too.”

“Though not as Sir Robert’s assistant?” Richard hazarded.

“No. I have made some inquiries with friends. My old acquaintance John Pennington owns two of the rotten boroughs. He has only one son and he agreed to sell one of them to us. You will run for parliament in the Peterborough township the year after next year.”

“Grandfather, I am barely 20 years of age. How can I win an election?”

“Very simple. We will own the land. We and the caretakers and tenants elect the representative. We will elect you. There will be no other candidate.”

“And what will Mr. Pennington expect in exchange?”

“Good question. John is a supporter of free trade, something in which Sir Robert and your father also believe. Plus, they will take him in as a partner in their new steam shipping line. You will just vote against taxes and tariffs on foreign trade. For the rest, follow your conscience.”

“Your grandfather tried to talk me into this thing, but I have no stomach for politics. As he said, I have made my mark. You on the other hand need something to which you can apply your talents. If politics is not to your liking, you will be young enough to do other things after a term or two.”

“But how can I prepare for such a task?” Richard asked.

“Watch Sir Robert, read the newspapers and avoid scandal,” Lord Lambert said simply. “That’s another thing. You’ve come through a duel with all honours. Take care to avoid them in the future. That also goes for the girl. She will have to be careful too if you want her for a wife. Trust your grandmother to look after that.”

Richard’s eyebrows shot up.

“What is it with Ellen?”

“I imagine her sitting with your grandmother, sipping tea and suffering the Grand Inquisition.”

“I thought they were to go to the Wilkes’.”

“Your mother can be deceiving,” Sir Anthony smiled. “Don’t worry, Richard. You know your mother and your grandmother. They will help her adjust.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Your grandmother can provide Ellen with that ‘much needed schooling’ to make sure that she will be able to avoid the pitfalls of life in London.”

“She will be scared.”

“I don’t think so. You will both have to learn. If you both apply yourself to the task you will soon laugh at the likes of Marjorie Binnings and her idlers.”

“Your father is right, Richard. I heard that the girl is very beautiful, but also very naïve. That’s a very dangerous combination as you already had to find out. On the other hand, a beautiful abd accomplished wife can help a man to get ahead. Just look at me!” Lord Lambert chuckled.


Lucy led her friend Harriet into her living room.

“You are a little late, dear. We have already started. Where is Ellen? You did not leave her alone with Richard again?”

“No,” Harriet laughed. “She is with my mother.”

Lucy stopped and looked at her friend.

“Already?”

“Lucy, you know my mother. She was bursting with curiosity about Ellen. Now, she loves her, just like everybody else.”

Lucy opened the door to her salon and pushed Harriet in.

“Surprise,” she smiled.

With a delighted squeal Harriet rushed forward to hug one of her best friends.

“Anita! What a wonderful surprise! You are back in London? How come?”

Anita Heyworth, legendary actress and beauty, tossed back her rich chestnut coloured hair.

“I had to cut our tour short. It so seems that I am past the age where I can play the lovely young Hero. Perhaps I should start looking into the mother roles,” she said wryly.

“What are you saying, Anita? You look wonderful.”

“I am 44 years old. I may look like 35 to the gullible, but I do not look like twenty anymore. I plan to retire.”

Harriet, Lucy and Moira Palmer gasped as one.

“Really,” Anita continued calmly. “I spoke with the principals of the Drury Lane. I will have my final curtain on January 16. That will be my twenty-fifth stage anniversary. I am tired of pretending to be somebody else. I need some time away from London too.”

“High Matcham will always be open to you, you know that?” Harriet offered. “Tony and I would love to have you with us for as long as you want.”

“You are sweet, Harriet. I may just take you up on that offer. Let’s stop this morbid talk though. You want to celebrate an engagement?”

Lucy took over. “We have not settled on the locale. Moira has offered her home, but I think it should be your or my house, Harriet.”

“Oh, the locale is settled already,” Harriet grinned. “My mother insists on having it in their house. You see, New Year’s Eve is the twentieth anniversary of our engagement.”

“The way Tony and you are still in love with each other, that will bode well for Ellen and Richard,” Lucy agreed. “What can we contribute?”

“I need help to assemble the list of guests and I will welcome your suggestions.”

Therefore, the four women applied themselves to the task of preparing a list of friends and relatives to be invited. Harriet was impressed when Lucy rattled off a string of names who represented the very best of London’s society. There would be many overlaps between Lucy’s list and the friends of her mother, Harriet realised.

Moira Palmer also volunteered to organise music and dance, whilst Anita agreed grudgingly to give a short recitation. They brooded for close to an hour over the text of the invitation letters, and it was dark when they decided to break up. Just then, Ellen returned in the Carters’ coach which Harriet had sent home for this purpose. Ellen had been to the theatre twice during this autumn seeing Anita perform once, and now she was properly awed. Anita, in her turn, looked at the girl with admiration and gave her a friendly hug.

“You have probably heard this a hundred times already, but you look lovely. Will you allow me to give you a few hints about your makeup though? With a few alterations, we may well achieve perfection.”

Ellen almost cringed when yet another person tried to change her. She saw the friendly smile though and thought that it might be fun to be with the famous actress. Having to endure a makeup lesson would be a small price to pay.

“I would appreciate that very much,” she said nicely.

Anita stared at her for a moment. Then a grin spread over her face.

“Never try acting, my dear Ellen. Your face is like an open book. Don’t worry. I don’t plan to change you. I shall show you a few things, and you can look into the mirror and decide whether you like it.”

Ellen blushed slightly.

“I would love to,” she answered, and this time Anita believed her.

When the other women had left Lucy sighed.

“This is going to be quite a large affair. Anything in which Lady Lambert is involved is bound to be big. I still recall Harriet’s wedding. Andrew’s wedding was a huge affair too, but of course I was not invited.”

“I noticed that Lady Carter’s brother was ill at ease with you,” Ellen observed.

“Andrew Lambert and I have a history, Ellen. One day, I may tell you my story in full, but let it suffice to say that we were engaged once. He broke the engagement to marry another woman and when that second engagement fell apart in a scandal he wanted me back. At that time, Jonathan and I were already very close, closer than Andrew and I could have ever become, and I refused him. He found his wife Emily a few years later. She is quite the proper wife for him, but I fear that they may not be happy together.”

“But they have four children,” Harriet interjected.

“She has four daughters, but Andrew would rather have at least one son to continue the family line. Ever since his father became a peer, he’s had this worry about continuing the line.”

“So if they won’t have a son, Richard may inherit the title?”

Ellen’s worry was palpable.

“You did not know that, did you? Does it worry you?”

“I did not know and yes, it worries me. After that blunder I committed, I do not know whether I can ever be a Lady Lambert.”

Lucy smiled benevolently.

“Ellen, believe me, I would have never thought that I could be anything more than a tavern wench when I was your age. You will learn.”


The next afternoon, Richard came to visit Ellen at the Wilkes’ house. Lucy allowed the two young people some privacy in the tea room and Richard explained to Ellen the arrangement for his apprenticeship with Sir Robert Norton. Ellen saw one advantage immediately.

“You will stay in London, won’t you?”

“Yes, of course,” Richard answered. “It also means that I will have very little free time. Also, my apprenticeship with Sir Robert is not all.”

He proceeded to explain his grandfather’s plan to procure a seat in Parliament for him. He could sense that Ellen was apprehensive.

“Ellen, I am afraid that this development troubles you,” he said, afraid of what felt he had to say. “If you feel that this future of mine is incompatible with you, please tell me.”

“Are you telling me that I may not be the right woman for you, Richard?” Ellen asked sadly.

“No, of course not,” Richard exclaimed. “I am offering you a chance to object. Rather than see you unhappy or lose you, I would forego this seat in the Commons.”

Ellen was stunned.

“You would give up this opportunity for me?”

“What good is a seat in parliament if I lose you in the process?”

“That would disappoint your father and grandfather.”

“My father would understand. With my grandfather I am not so sure, but I will not have to live with him.”

“Your grandmother has invited me to visit her. She wants to help me avoid blunders in the future. I would really hate to ruin your prospects, Richard. If your grandmother can teach me what I need to know I can stand by your side no matter what your plans will be.”

“Ellen, we are already talking as if we are about to marry. I still have to ask Uncle Jonathan for permission to woo you. Just know that I cannot think of a better wife for me. If you put your heart in it, you can be everything.”

Ellen’s kiss told him that he had said the right thing.


In spite of her misgivings, Ellen visited Lady Lambert twice a week during the month of December. Often, Eleanor would accompany her, sometimes however Ellen went alone. Lady Lambert would have other guests for tea, acquaintances of hers, and Ellen would be introduced as Lady Lambert’s protegé. After those guests had left, Lady Lambert would then spend another hour or so to explain just who these persons were and how they were connected to whom. Ellen found these acquaintances of Lady Lambert a quite diverse set of personalities. With some of the women she felt an instant accord. With others, she could sense reservation, even a certain hostility. She learned to read the emotions of the people she met, and the discussions afterwards with her hostess often gave her a clue as to the reasons behind their behaviour. It soon turned out that Ellen had an excellent memory for faces and names, and Lady Lambert often praised her progress.


In the meantime, Richard was busy running errands for Sir Robert. That would have been unsatisfactory had not Sir Robert taken the time in almost each instant to explain the nature of the mission. Thus, by delivering Sir Robert’s messages, mostly orally, and receiving the answers from the various business associates, Richard quickly came to a good appreciation of the scope of interests Sir Robert had in the various lines of trade. With interest and admiration he realised that on most transactions Sir Robert profited on various levels since he owned or controlled more than one of the companies involved. He was astonished how easily he understood the intricacies of the deals. The more he understood, the more he appreciated Sir Robert’s fairness to his partners. Everybody involved profited from the dealings and it became obvious that as Sir Robert’s emissary, he was always received with friendly gestures of goodwill by the business partners.

In his free time, mostly Sunday afternoons, he visited the Wilkes as often as possible, but for weeks no chance presented itself to be alone with Ellen. This fact notwithstanding, Ellen did her best to show her affection for him. She made sure to pour his tea personally, she placed her hand on his arm, but most importantly she gave him her brilliant smile at every chance, and her eyes expressed her affection more convincingly than any words. Strangely the semi-separation made their love grow stronger and they were both happy in that knowledge.


It was a week before Christmas and Ellen arrived together with Eleanor at Lord Lambert’s house. The old Admiral was also there and Lady Lambert informed the girls of the day’s list of guests. To Ellen’s horror, Mrs. Marjorie Binnings and one of her closest friends were among the invited. Lady Lambert smiled at Ellen’s discomfort.

“This is a sort of test for you, my dear. The woman hates you and you despise her in turn. I want you to show your best of behaviour, but do not allow her to trample over you.”

Ellen sighed at that, but Eleanor bristled.

“I shall give her my mind if she toes the line.”

“Eleanor, you will do nothing of this sort,” Lady Lambert admonished her granddaughter. “Just watch me and learn!”

Marjorie Binnings arrived alone and she was received at the door by Lady Lambert. She was led into the tea parlor and visibly shocked to see Ellen.

“What a surprise to see you here, Miss Wilkes,” she managed to say.

Ellen chose to ignore the implied question.

“It is a surprise and a pleasure for me.”

Marjorie Binnings swallowed hard.

“Of course, for me too. And this is your charming granddaughter, Lady Lambert?”

“Yes, this is Eleanor,” Lady Lambert smiled. “Isn’t she charming? I believe, you’ve met her brother, my grandson?”

“Yes, I have had the, err, pleasure.”

Another guest was announced and Mrs. Binnings mood improved, for Anita Heyworth stepped into the room at the arm of Lord Lambert. The actress was introduced to the other guests and Mrs. Binnings stared in disbelieve when she hugged both Eleanor and Ellen with obvious affection. Instantly Marjorie Binnings switched into her most pleasant behaviour.

“It is such a pleasure to meet you again, Miss Heyworth. It has been, what, five years since you last graced my salon.”

“Probably. I have grown somewhat tired of soirees in the last years.”

“How come you know our dear Ellen?” she asked, unable to harness her curiosity.

“Oh, the Carters and the Wilkes are my dearest friends. It was impossible not to meet Ellen, just as impossible as not to like her.”

“Quite, quite. She is such a charming girl. By the way, do you have any prior engagements for New Year’s Eve? You know that my annual soiree is the absolute high point of the season. It would be wonderful to have you there.”

“Not this year, my dear Marjorie,” Anita answered sweetly. “I am already involved in another event, a family celebration.”

“Oh, Marjorie, didn’t I tell you?” Lady Lambert jumped in. “We shall have a family function here with all the friends of our families.”

“But on New Year’s Eve?” Mrs. Binnings gasped.

“It is my daughter’s twentieth engagement anniversary. In addition, we have another happy occasion to celebrate. I fear that you will have to excuse us this year.”

“How regrettable,” Mrs. Binnings managed to respond.

“Yes, isn’t it?” Lady Lambert agreed. “Lord Liverpool will attend, and Sir Thomas Hardy. I would have invited you of course, but since you host your own soiree on that evening it did not make sense.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.