Ellen - Cover

Ellen

Copyright© 2005 by Argon

Chapter 6: Swordplay

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 6: Swordplay - This is set twenty years after the events of "In the Navy". The lives of Anthony Carter and his family are turned topsy-turvy by the arrival of Ellen, a young shepherdess. Follow the lives of the Carters and their friends and relatives during the late regency era and explore foreign countries and cultures with them. History is not necessarily dry! Winner of the 2021 Classic Clitoris Award.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Fa/ft   Teenagers   Consensual   Romantic   Rape   Lesbian   Heterosexual   Historical   Tear Jerker   First   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Petting  

Over the next weeks, Ellen and Richard saw each other regularly, but they found it difficult to get as close as they had been used to. They were never left alone and a sense of frustration built up in both of them. The opening of the ball season should have provided them with an outlet, but at that point they had become slightly irritated with each other. Ellen, in her naïve excitement, had come to enjoy the gossiping and scandal mongering of society, something that Richard did not appreciate at all.

She in turn grew weary of his constant efforts to please her and of his fear of hurting her. In as far as a young, unmarried woman was able to, Ellen basked in the attention of the male and female salon dwellers. Beautiful and naïve, she was the sensation of the early London season. She received invitations to the best salons and the attention she received went to her head. Suddenly, poor Richard with his devotion to her became a nuisance and she began to avoid him and to invent excuses.

Lucy Wilkes noticed this, but she had not much influence over a girl who was showered with compliments wherever she went. Even with her, Ellen became a little arrogant letting her stepmother know that she moved in higher circles. One evening in late November, Ellen was invited to just another soiree. Lucy did not have the time to accompany her nor did she allow her stepdaughter to attend without company.

“Lucy, this is unfair!” Ellen pleaded. “Everyone will be there. I can go alone. Mrs. Binnings will take care of me.”

Marjorie Binnings was the hostess of this evening’s reception.

“Ellen, you cannot go without company. It would not be proper,” Lucy explained patiently.

“Perhaps James Finney can take me?” Ellen offered mentioning one of the most notorious idlers of London.

“James Finney is not a fitting consort for you, Ellen,” Lucy answered quite scandalised. “You are not to socialise with him! He has a bad reputation. Did you know that he killed three men in duels in the last two years? Keep away from that man!”

If Ellen had been honest with Lucy, she would have admitted that the debonair James Finney had been one of her most ardent admirers of late. However, she knew that it would not be wise to tell Lucy. An idea struck her.

“What if Richard took me? You do trust him, don’t you?”

“I thought you did not care for him anymore. You certainly cold shouldered him for weeks.”

“He will come with me if I ask him,” Ellen said confidently. “He will do anything for me.”

“Ellen, I don’t want you to toy with his feelings! He is a nice and honest young man and if you hurt him, there will be consequences. Do you understand?”

“Yes, of course, don’t worry,” Ellen smiled. “But can I ask him?”

Lucy breathed deeply.

“All right. But remember – he will see you back home by 11 o’clock. Are we clear about this?”

Alas, Ellen was already running upstairs to write a billet for Richard, asking him to accompany her that evening.


The evening was a nightmare for Richard. He had been so happy to see Ellen again after weeks of excuses and downright snubs, but once they arrived at the Binnings’, Ellen had left him standing alone. He hardly knew anybody and most people were far senior to him. Most of the time he stood to the side and was ignored by everybody. He did not understand Ellen’s motives. If she loathed his presence, why had she asked him to accompany her? Later that evening, past ten o’clock, he finally saw her sitting alone and approached her. The musicians played a waltz.

“Would you like to dance this waltz with me, Ellen?” he asked hopefully.

“Oh Richard, dear, I am much too tired now. Could you fetch me a glass of water, please.”

Sighing, Richard sought out a servant to get the glass of water. When he returned, his stomach cramped. Chatting away gaily, Ellen danced the waltz with a trim, good looking man in his late twenties. The feeling of dejection made way for a cold anger. He placed the glass on a table and waited for the dance to end. Bowing to Ellen’s dance partner, he addressed Ellen.

“I’m afraid we have to leave now, Miss Wilkes,” he said coldly. “I promised your mother to return you before 11 o’clock.”

“But I don’t want to leave just yet, Richard,” Ellen pouted. She noticed his anger and tried to use her charm to make him relent.

“I am sorry, Miss Wilkes, but we really have to leave.”

“But I don’t want to!”

The pout was gone. Ellen did not like being treated like a child by Richard. She looked around.

“Mr. Finney, cannot you bring me home later?”

“Ellen, I promised Lucy to return you by 11 o’clock.”

“Leave her be, boy,” James Finney drawled. “I can take care of her and return her home.”

Richard took a deep breath.

“Sir, with all due respect, I cannot betray Lady Wilkes’s trust. I assure you that this is the last time that I will stand in your way, but tonight she arrived with me and she will leave with me.”

“Bravely spoken, my boy,” Finney sneered. “Now go home and leave us adults alone. You still have a lot to learn.”

“I know enough already never to try to make another man break his word,” Richard replied hotly. “Ellen, we need to leave, please. I will never bother you again, but come now.”

Amused and still unaware of the danger of the situation, Ellen looked at Finney expectantly. He did not disappoint her.

“Why, you damned little whippersnapper! If you don’t leave us alone I shall have to teach you a lesson!”

Mrs. Binnings, alarmed by the raised voices arrived.

“Gentlemen, please, there is no need for such a behaviour.”

“Well, there is,” Finney continued to rant. “This goddamned son of a lousy upstart is annoying the young lady.”

“Well, she arrived with him...” Mrs Binnings began, but she was interrupted.

Richard had felt the blood drain from his face and in a fraction of a second he had known that there was no way out of this situation, not if he ever wanted to be recognised as a gentleman. What followed was just inevitable. At least his voice was flat and without emotion as it should be.

“Mr. Finney, you have insulted both me and my family, and I demand satisfaction for that. You may expect my friend tomorrow.”

Ellen stared stupidly at the two men who would have to kill each other now. Finney was taken aback for a second, but then he shrugged.

“I shall expect your friend, Sir,” he answered politely, but the smirk before he turned was condescending.

“Why, my dear Ellen, thank you for ruining a perfect evening,” Mrs. Binnings said caustically. “I must ask you to leave, now.”

Ellen only now noticed the looks of disapproval from all sides.

“But what did I do?” she asked, still confused.

“You just caused the death of young Mr. Carter, stupid girl! Do you think he can survive a duel with James Finney?”

The blood shot into Ellen’s face as she realised the consequences of her actions.

“We must stop them,” she whispered. “I will talk to them. There must be a way out of this.”

She tried to rush after Finney, but Mrs. Binnings held her back.

“There is no way back. Just leave now before you make things even worse.”

Finney was gone and Ellen looked for Richard. He was at the hat check, waiting with her cloak. He did not say a single word while he helped her into the cloak, nor during the coach ride or even when he delivered her at the Wilkes’ door.

Lucy was alarmed when she saw the faces of the two young people, but Richard just turned wordlessly and left.

“What on earth happened, Ellen?” Lucy demanded.

“Richard challenged James Finney,” Ellen whispered, not trusting her voice.

“Oh dear God! Why on earth would he do that?”

“Richard wanted us to leave, but I didn’t want yet. So I asked Mr. Finney to help me, and then they quarrelled.”

Lucy was pale. “You provoked two men to kill each other, stupid girl?”

“Don’t say that!” Ellen cried. “Mr. Finney became really mean and insulting all of a sudden.”

“Go up to your room, Ellen. God help you if Richard is killed. Go!”

Ellen did not sleep at all during the night. Her confusion only became deeper with every minute. She tossed on her bed until Ricky woke up to check on his mistress. Stroking the dog’s head, Ellen relaxed slightly. That had been a wonderful day when Richard had brought her the dog. He had been so eager to please her that she had forgiven him. Only then did full realisation wash over her for the first time: the young man for whom she cared so much would be dead in a few days because of her! Because she had wanted to test the limits of his patience with her. Out of spite. Because she could do it.

She remembered Lady Carter’s words now, ‘You know, you have the power to make men happy beyond measure or desperate beyond hope.’ She had used that power for the worst.

‘Oh my God, Lady Carter!’ she thought. Kind and friendly Harriet Carter, who had taken her in, trusted her, opened her heart to her! What would she think of her now?

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.