William Redman Carter - Cover

William Redman Carter

Copyright© 2005 by Lazlo Zalezac

Chapter 58

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 58 - William Redman Carter is the son of John Carter and Linda Carter. Within his blood lies a heritage of the true people and the white man. He is blessed by the Gods and Goddesses, as well as the Great Spirit. Yet, he is still a man with all of the needs and desires of a young man.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   Science Fiction  

"Do you think I should open a publishing house?" William asked.

"No," Linda answered putting the manuscript on the table. She had just finished reading it and had been very impressed. She knew Happy Harry, but not many of the other homeless. She had noticed that the manuscript had Forest Shadow crying like a baby by the time she had finished it.

"Okay, so who do we take the manuscript to?"

"Al Maloney would probably be the best person. His publishing house has handled a lot of best sellers. This manuscript will benefit from his experience," Linda answered.

William wouldn't change a word of the manuscript and wondered how it would be beneficial by having it changed. Curious he asked, "What do you mean?"

"Well, there's the whole publishing process that it will have to go through. Before it is even printed, there is the cover art, he'll have to mount an advertising campaign, and set up distribution. He'll have to establish how big of a run to make with the first release," Linda answered. She knew that the advertising would have to be handled very carefully. No matter how well it was written, a book about homeless people didn't stand much of being a best seller unless it was handled with great care.

"You really know this stuff."

Raising her eyebrows, Linda looked at William amused by his comment. There were times when she found it difficult to believe that he was her son. She said, "I've been doing this since before you were born."

"So I guess I called the right person. If you can't be good, then it helps to be lucky," William replied with a wink.

Al Maloney sat at his desk and stared at the manuscript that Linda Carter had brought to him. Normally, he would skim the first page and know if it was worth his time to read it. After that, he would scan a manuscript; giving it a half an hour to convince him that he should publish it. Reading this one, he had taken the entire night. He had savored every word and phrase. He shivered at the memory of the pleasure that it had given him. It had been a long time since a book had given him that much pleasure.

He pressed the intercom and said, "Mercedes, please arrange for Linda Carter and Jan Adorno to come here for a visit."

There was a moment of uncharacteristic silence. He started to wonder if she was at her desk before Mercedes answered, "They are here along with two others."

Surprised, he said, "Well, send them in and clear my calendar for the afternoon."

Linda walked into the room beside Jan. Holding hands, William and Lucy followed the women into the office. While coming out from behind his desk, Al examined Linda. He thought she was one of the most attractive women he had met. Her fine Native American facial features, long black hair, and regal posture gave her a presence in the room that could not be denied. Linda extended a hand and said, "Hello, Al. It's nice of you to see us today."

"It is always a pleasure to see you, Mrs. Carter. I must admit that I'm a little surprised that you were here," Al replied. He had never handled one of her books since his publishing house did not deal with children's books. However, he did know her through social events and was very familiar with her reputation as an author. She was known to be a diligent author who wasn't pushy and worked well with editors, typesetters, artists, and publishers. To have her show up the day after dropping off a manuscript was very unusual.

Linda smiled and said, "William said that you would be ready to meet with us at the moment. He's never wrong."

Looking over at William, Al didn't know how to respond. He recognized the young man and knew enough about him not to dismiss him as just a teenager. He was actually more interested in meeting the author of that outstanding manuscript that he had just finished reading. As if reading his mind, William nodded his head and, gesturing to Jan, said, "Allow me to introduce you to Jan Adorno and my wife, Lucy Carter."

After a quick nod to Lucy and William, Al turned to Jan. His eyes quickly flicked over her. He saw a middle aged woman wearing a basic woman's business suit. It was a good quality outfit. He said, "I enjoyed your manuscript very much."

"Thank you," Jan said.

"It's going to be a tough sell, but I think that you have written a best seller," Al said.

Interrupting, William held up a hand and said, "It won't be a tough sell. It describes the best of the human character under the worst of conditions. It tells stories of greatness originating from men and women who have nothing. In today's world of sanitized living, these stories have an appeal."

Looking over at William, Al considered what he knew of the young man. A chill went down his spine. In a soft voice, he said, "I know it will appeal. I just have to figure out how to make them aware of it without turning away the audience first."

Smiling, William said, "How about telling people it was written by the second Bard of modern times?"

Leaning forward, Al's eyes widened and he asked, "You don't mean that she's a Druidic Bard?"

"Exactly," William answered.

Lucy and Linda both turned to look at Jan. Neither were surprised that William knew it before they did. It took a minute before Lucy was able to ask, "When did that happen?"

"It was the night that you and William read the manuscript. I woke up in the morning knowing that I was now a Bard," Jan answered with a blush. While William and Lucy had read the manuscript, she had a dream in which she was telling a story to an unseen audience. When she awakened that morning, the bracelet was on her wrist.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Lucy asked feeling hurt that Jan had not rushed to confide her good news.

Looking down at her feet, Jan was ashamed that she hadn't shared the news with Lucy. She didn't feel right in telling her that she couldn't tell her. Instead, she answered, "I don't really feel worthy of it."

Lucy nodded understanding even though she didn't. William leaned over and put a hand on Jan's shoulder. In a soft voice, he said, "Anyone who can tell Harry's story so well is worthy of it."

Turning to Lucy, he said, "She could not tell you. Bards do not proclaim themselves as Bards. They can not tell their own story, only the stories of others."

Full understanding dawned on Lucy and she resolved at that moment to assure that Jan received full credit for her efforts. The relationship between the two women took another subtle turn. Lucy changed from supporter to promoter of her friend.

Al watched trying to figure out the dynamics of the situation. It was obvious to him that Jan was closer to the son and daughter in- law than to Linda. The son's assertion that Jan was a Bard would make a very good statement in the marketing effort. He wondered if William was correct. Turning to Jan, he said, "We'll need to work out the details for the contract. Do you have an agent?"

Linda answered, "She will be using my agent. William's staff will facilitate negotiations."

"Will you need an advance?"

"An advance?" Jan asked.

"Well, it will take about four months for us to get the book through production. That will put it on the shelves in about September. Royalties are paid twice a year -- in March and October. March royalties cover sales for July through December of the previous year. It will be at least year before you see any money from the book," Al answered.

"I do not need an advance," Jan answered after glancing at William and seeing that he was shaking his head to let her know that she wouldn't need it. William had given her a debit card and told her that he was depositing her allowance in it. Since she had never used it or even bothered looking at the statement, she had no idea how much money she had.

"Are you sure?" Al asked noticing the uncertain glance that Jan had given William.

"She's a member of our household," William said.

"And what does that matter?" Al asked surprised by William's interruption.

"It means that she does not have to worry about money for the rest of her life," William answered.

"Okay," Al said with a frown. He wasn't sure how much William was worth, but he could always tap the wealth of the rest of the Carter Clan. He'd heard things about William, but he wasn't really that well connected in the financial world.

Linda knew better than to underestimate what William was capable of doing for someone about whom he cared. She smiled at Al and said, "Jan is well provided for."

For the next hour, Al explained what Jan could expect over the next four months. It was a daunting task for a woman who had once been homeless, but Jan accepted the assignment as though she were born to it. She demonstrated a confidence and self- assurance that was far different than the woman who had to work up her courage to talk to William and Lucy in the ice cream parlor just a few years earlier.

A dozen buildings lining the road were visible through the window of the hotel suite in which Linda, Jan, Lucy, and William were staying. Sitting in the living room of the suite after their meeting with the publisher, Linda and Jan were discussing the amount of money that a best seller could bring an author. Jan was having a hard time believing that an author could make so much money and that she wouldn't know what to do with so much. She remarked that she didn't even spend her allowance.

Lucy listened to the exchange and, in a whisper, asked, "William, how much do you give Jan for an allowance?"

"I don't give Jan an allowance," William answered looking at Lucy and then glancing at Jan. He tired to remember if he had ever told her what he was doing for Jan. After a moment's reflection, he realized that he probably had forgotten to mention it.

"You told me that you were depositing my allowance in that debit card," Jan said looking over at William in confusion.

"I don't deposit anything in it. The returns on your investments are deposited in there to keep your account at a fifty thousand dollar level," William said not understanding her confusion. He was pretty sure that he had explained that to her when he gave her the card.

"My investments?" Jan asked looking at him with even greater confusion.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.