P I and Magic Book II: The Gods Return - Cover

P I and Magic Book II: The Gods Return

Copyright© 2005 by Volentrin

Chapter 17

I had a bad taste in my mouth. I must have made a face, because Mirwanna asked me if something was wrong.

"Just my taste buds acting up. This is the third time this has happened since Shabasonti did her little thing with me, at the Fount of Chaos," I answered sourly.

"If this is all that happens to you, consider yourself lucky," Vostich told me as he shoveled a spoonful of vegetables into his mouth.

"Well, I still get a partial numbness to my face, and of course there is taste, which comes and goes. On the other hand, I have greater access to power since she had me drink that... stuff," I finished a bit grimly.

After I had told Vostich mentally what had happened, Mirwanna, Vostich, Mariel, and Fithian all gathered around me for support. It was rather nice... until I realized they were waiting to see if I died!

Finally my sense of taste returned, and I was able to enjoy the rest of the meal. So far, the side effects of drinking from the Fount of Chaos seemed to be loss of taste, and occasional numbness. Hopefully, those would subside over time.

Nothing the healers gave me seemed to affect them. Vostich and Fithian had been excited about my staff, the rings, and my cloak. The sword totally stunned them. Not only did it seem more intelligent, but it was much more powerful. And, if anything, it was even more bloodthirsty.

Mirwanna and Mariel tended to try to coddle me, even mother me a bit. At first it was nice, but I was never one to be comforted when there was something to be done. Markus had never really been the coddling type the few times I had been ill as a child. It made me uncomfortable to have this sympathy.

On the other hand, my sister and my wife were excited about the new baby. They quickly forgot me as they became engrossed in talking about the upcoming birth... which was NINE MONTHS down the line. I mean... COME ON!


Two days later, the demon Elpor and I were standing on the edge of demon territory. Vostich had teleported all of us there. He grasped my hand, and looked me in the eye.

<Remember, if you get a chance in there, call the Gods. They stand ready to repel the invasion of the demons, > Vostich told me in silent communion.

<Iunderstand. But if the demons are being invaded, shouldn't we do something about that? I mean, I am not a fan of demons, but Shabasonti told me a little about, 'Those Others' and it did not sound good, > I responded.

<We know. Just call as planned, ok?> he asked seriously enough that I nodded.

The demon had been watching the silent look we gave each other. I knew it knew we were talking silently, but it could do nothing about it.

Vostich turned to the demon and said, "You may remove the ring and the armband now," Vostich told it.

"Thank you. These items have been most annoying to me," the demons responded and bowed.

He removed the ring, and gave it to Vostich. He then removed the armband and sighed. As soon as the armband was off, he laughed an almost maniacal laugh!

"Ah, to be free again! I had not realized how low I had sunk with those cursed restrictive items on my body," Elpor said almost savagely.

Vostich looked at me and wished me luck, and teleported out. I sighed. Well, I was ready for whatever was to come, I hoped. I wore my newly treated cloak, rings, and my staff was in my left hand. My sword was belted and available to me, if I needed it. I had memorized several very powerful spells that had been beyond me prior to the episode with Shabasonti.

Although we took only a few steps, it was like walking from a nice sun filled garden into a cold winter's shadow. It seemed I could feel things out there, watching me, us. The demon laughed, and told me to relax.

I looked behind me, and saw the blaze of the sun, but it seemed blocked from here somehow. Oh, sunlight still got through. But the day seemed to have dimmed somehow.

It was only a bit brighter than dusk, and a feeling of despair was in the very air.

"How far do we have to walk? I would prefer to get started with this mission right away," I said with a shiver.

Elpor looked curiously at me. "You seem different somehow. There is something about you that is different. One of our seers had said you would be both a help and a curse to us," Elpor said.

I arched my eyebrow at him, giving him my best 'Spock, from Star Trek' look. We walked a bit further into this demon held land. I noticed that while light made it through, it seemed to lack any of the wholesomeness that it usually held.

The grass on either side of the road was turning a peculiar color. If I had been a human living here, I would have fled long ago. Finally, Elpor stopped.

"We are far enough. I will teleport us to the gate. I want your promise not to interfere. I mean, you promise you won't do anything to destroy the gate?" Elpor said to me.

It was as if he almost knew what I was going to do. Almost, but not quite. I frowned, then nodded. He almost had me, but he worded it wrong. Ok, I pay attention to lawyers. So sue me. The way he worded it, left room for me to do what I wanted to do, and would do.

"I agree," I told him.

"So be it," he said.

He then grabbed my arm, and teleported us to a large building. It was very dark here. I knew it was still morning, yet the sun seemed not to penetrate here. A red haze seemed to fill the air.

"The portal gate is within this building. A mere mortal thought to gain power from us. He was a fool," Elpor said in a mocking tone.

That was all I needed to know. I grounded my staff, hard. I sent out a silent plea for aid, to the Gods. Elpor looked at me in horror! I felt resistance to my silent call, but I had power. I broke through whatever was blocking me, and First one, then another Goddess appeared before us.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.