Vengeance Heart - Cover

Vengeance Heart

Copyright© 2005 by Volentrin

Chapter 3

Roland and his father sat and talked for several hours, after sending Beatra home. Berandal had a hard time believing his son's story, until Roland pulled out the gems. There was more than Roland first saw in the pouch, when they were all dumped out on the table.

Along with the emeralds and diamonds, there were rubies and sapphires. There was also a very heavy ring, that was the last piece out.

<Excellent! They included my power ring, > the voice in Roland's head gloated.

"Power ring?" Roland asked out loud, startled.

Berandal looked at his son curiously. Roland just tapped his head, and Berandal nodded, still unsure of that part of the story. While Berandal was more familiar with magic than his son was, it was still disturbing to hear his son talk of... something being in his head.

<It is a ring made by myself. It has a red ruby for fire magic, and a white diamond for ice magic. Surely you know magic can be done symbolically? No, I see you don't, > the voice answered Roland.

Roland looked at the ring. It was very heavy. It was made of a silvery looking substance, but was not silver. The center stone was a fire red ruby. Offset to one side was a large white diamond, to the top was very small but vibrant green emerald. The circle of stones surrounding the ruby was finished off by a blue looking stone, that neither Berandal or Roland could identify.

<The ring is made of a metal that can retain magical power. It also acts as a focus for my magic. I see from your memories that you have seen magic users with staves and wands. This is much the same, only better, > the voice said a bit smugly.

They looked over the gems, and Roland split off a sizable portion and gave them to his father.

"Here. I was told I should give you a portion. I won't need all of these for what I am supposed to do," Roland told his father.

"That is a very large fortune you have just handed us, Roland," Berandal said with wonder.

"Well, I won't need most of this, and I am told that what I take on the road will be used to get items, and get us to where we need to go," Roland said.

"What's the name of this being that you say is in you?" Berandal asked.

Roland cocked his head and then answered, "He says he won't say his true name, but you can call him, Haflor."

"So you agreed to be a host to this, Haflor, and do what exactly?" Berandal asked.

"Well, I have not really been told yet. Just I have to finish something for him, and that when it is over, I will have gained by the experience, or so he says," Roland said a bit wryly.

Roland talked well into the night with his father. Both knew Roland would be leaving in the morning. It came out, that what Roland would be doing was dangerous. But what exactly he would be doing, was not revealed.

"I just wish I could go with you, son. I know, I know, you think you're a man now. Well, you do a man's work. I'll give you that. Call it a father's worry for his son. I knew at some point, you would have to decide for yourself what to do with your life, I just didn't know it would come this soon.

"I always hoped you would follow me, or work for some lord as a forester. With the fortune you just handed us, we are rich beyond most men, and a lot of lords. I would say we will be the richest people in this part of the world, once we sell these gems.

"Son you have made us wealthy beyond most peoples wildest dreams. We can do anything we want. Do you have anything you specifically want done with this money?" Berandal asked his son.

Roland hesitated then answered, "Well, I was thinking of something. We could buy land. Lots and lots of land," Roland then launched into an enthusiastic idea he'd had since he was a small child.

His dad had taken him on a trip to the King's home city of Frontek, named after the King's family. On that trip, there had been an old run-down castle on a high hill. The family that had owned it were destitute, and could not afford its upkeep.

Roland wanted his dad to try to buy it. With the gems, they had more than enough money to build it back to it's former glory. And with land, they could have income coming in from farmers, to offset costs. They could buy ships, barges, and they could even buy into caravans. The possibilities were limitless!

Both father and son were excited by this prospect, and Berandal agreed to go look into it as soon as the weather cleared. As it was, Berandal would have to take a coach most of the distance, and then find the heirs. They agreed to meet in Frontec. Berandal gave Roland explicit directions to the forester's inn, in that city. The innkeeper would know how to contact Berandal.

Finally, Berandal needed to rest, and took himself to bed. While Berandal slept, Roland sat and thought. He added wood to the fire from time to time, to keep the room from getting too chilled. He sat and relaxed, but did not really sleep.

<I told you, sleep was something you really did not need. Oh, you could sleep for an hour or two if you wanted, but to waste so much time unconscious of the world around you is a dangerous thing. Remind me to tell you how I died, > Haflor told Roland.

Beatra showed up about an hour before dawn. Roland heard her coming, and let her in. She smiled and started making breakfast for everyone. Berandal got up, and limped into the main room just before breakfast was served.

After eating, Roland got his backpack, which he had newly re-provisioned during the night, and said his goodbyes. Berandal told his son to remember where to meet him. Roland nodded and left the house in which he had lived in most of his life, possibly for the last time. If things went well, he would have no reason to come back. If things did not go well, well... he would be dead.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.