A Proper Goodbye

by Writingdragon

Copyright© 2005 by Writingdragon

Fiction Story: Gebriele's grief and heartache are finally put to rest.

Tags: mt/ft   Teenagers  

Copyright© 2005 -- All rights reserved.

Gebriele Winder sat in a quiet booth towards the back of Sacker's, a local Bar and Grill just outside her home town of Plainview, Arkansas, near Nimrod Lake. It was the 23rd of August the time was 8:30, she knew the ritual, this was the sixth year in a row she had sat in this booth and waited, waited for the clock to strike 8:39 so she could tell him all about the year and maybe say goodbye.

Glancing slowly around the interior of the local watering hole, Jacob Billing known locally as the 'Bear' plied his ministrations to the top of the white oak bar. He was the owner, bartender and bouncer of the establishment. She looked past where he was standing, her eyes drawn to the methodical movement of color in the windows behind where he stood. For as long as Gebriele could remember the Budweiser sign blaring it's neon red greeting had competed for attention with the Blue and gold Coors sign in the front two windows. She always felt the two signs made the front of the place look like a weird Christmas display year round. Her eyes returned to 'Bear, ' who seemed to be haphazardly running the rag in his hand over the flat surface. Upon closer inspection, one could pick up his careful, loving, almost tender care in everything he did for his establishment. Gebriele chuckled a bit. Her father had told her once the bar was his wife and he went about to ensure her happiness in all he did.

She noticed the young kids in the first booth up by the bar as they got up to leave. Probably a summer romance, she took them for no more than High School freshman or sophomores. That left the guy in the booth two up and across from her as the only other person in the place. A stranger wasn't at all unusual for this time of year. It was a very slow night, for which she was glad. Sighing heavily she sipped on her beer; it tasted as good as the first legal one 'Bear' had ever served her a few years ago.

Gebriele was going into her senior year of high school when her life changed. She was a youngster starting to grow into her womanhood back then; a shy skinny kid with straight black shoulder length hair and dark brown eyes. Now at 24, her body was sleek and well defined. She was 5'7" 128 lbs and although not model material she would turn heads in any crowd. The raven black hair that flowed aimlessly around her neck, coupled with her prominent cheek bones almost hid her dark brooding eyes.

As she sat in quiet contemplation memories came cascading back, hanging all about her like humidity on a hot summer day. She gave in, letting herself drift back to that night six years ago.

"Grebs wait up," she heard her best friend Kersen Tennery, yell over to her.

"Well hurry up slow poke," she laughingly replied.

Kersen, had been her best friend and buddy since his family had moved into the farm across the road from her family when they were both six. 'Grebs' was his very private nickname for her and she only allowed him to call her that. Kersen was a likeable guy, a tad bit skinny, but actually well muscled at 5'11" 175 lbs with, light brown hair and sparkling hazel eyes.

He and Gebriele had done everything together: fishing, hunting, cooking, cleaning house, playing baseball, basketball and tennis, as well as playing card games. They had joined 4-H, learned to ride horses and care for livestock together. As their parents were also good friends, they had hiked, camped, canoed and learned about nature with each other. During the summer both kids looked forward to the family camp outs at Nimrod lake only 5 or 6 miles from their houses. The lake offered the friends time to explore and discover a completely new universe in the paradise setting.

The summer before entering their senior year of H. S. had been a turning point in their relationship. By June, they realized they had fallen in love with each other. Both understood what they now felt towards each other was much deeper and richer than it had ever been before. Their parents were supportive of the relationship when they discovered their kids had become 'an item.' Not one of the parents understood exactly how deep the bond between their children had become.

Kersen was the first guy to hold Gebriele's hand, the first to hold her and whisper lover's secrets in her ear, given her the first kiss as well as her first French kiss. In early August of that same year, they shared themselves with one another for the very first time and became lovers. It happened in the Tennery's field, under their favorite tree. Kersen had held her after that first time reassuring her of his love, then in all earnestness asked her if this meant he could take her to homecoming in Oct. and prom in the spring and if they were going steady. When she said yes to all three, all he could do was grin ear to ear. She thought it was so cute.

By the evening of August 23 the young lover's had been together four times. They had made time to be together that day. For some reason it had seemed very special, almost as if they had become one that afternoon. They asked their parents if they could go up to Sacker's for a root beer.

As they walked towards the Bar and Grill, Kersen stopped and kissed Gebriele with raw passion mixed with unbelievable tenderness.

When they moved apart from their embrace, Gebriele asked, "Not that I mind, but what was that for?"

"Ever since we made love today, I can't believe how close to you I feel, how special it was today. I mean every time has been wonderful, but today was so beautiful so... I wanted to just crawl inside your skin and be part of you." Kersen's smile lit up her whole world.

She brushed the hair out of his eyes, "I know, it was that way for me too today," she kissed him again, just to watch his eyes sparkle.

Just as they crossed a bridge about a quarter mile from the bar, Kersen kissed her again as they exchanged 'I Love You's.' Then he said, "I have to pee, you go on ahead, I'll catch up in a moment."

She walked aimlessly along the river path towards the Bar, the low hanging branches brushing against her head and face; she waved to Betsy, Mr. Bear's niece as she sat on the back steps of the Tavern.

Suddenly a pair of rough hands grabbed her, Gebriele, scared half to death at the unexpected attack, managed a startled screamed.

"Lookee what I got Tommy. After we knock over the store we have something to play with tonight," a sickly voice resounded in her ear.

Another voice said, "Look on the steps another one."

Gebriele bit the hand over her mouth and screamed, "Becky, run get help, hurry."

At the same time her captor yelled, "You little bitch," she watched a hand move towards her face, and remembers hearing Kersen's voice, screaming something. Then all was black.

Waking up in the hospital about an hour later with her Mom and Dad comforting her, she had asked, "Where's Kersen?"

Her Mom got a funny look on her face and looked up at her Dad, and she swallowed very hard.

Fear gripped Gebriele's mind. She started shaking her head side to side and asked again in a tear filled voice, "Where is my Kersen? Daddy where is he?"

Her father took her in his arms and held her, "Baby he was shot and killed by the men that attacked you tonight. He was protecting the girl he loved... I'm so sorry honey."

Gebriele tried to understand. She tried to speak but her mouth wouldn't work except to cry as she held her Daddy and Mommy as they put their arms around her to comfort her in her time of loss. Sometime later that night Kersen's Mom and Dad came in and all Gebriele could do was hold them and cry some more. No one realized how devastating the loss would be.

Shaking and weeping quietly Gebriele brought herself back to the present. Looking at her watch, she saw she still had five minutes; she sighed and let her mind wander back. She remembered that over the next month she slowly pieced together the circumstances of the next few minutes after she was rendered unconscious.

Becky told her, "You yelled, then the guy holding you punched you in the head and you fell to the ground. One of the guys started coming towards me when Kersen charged them with a boat oar he picked up from a rowboat someone tied up near the path."

He yelled, "Get away from them," then he smacked the guy charging me in the head with the oar, giving me the time I needed to get inside and get my uncle."

Bear told her, "He responded to his niece's screams by grabbing a shotgun, then he sent two of his customers whom he knew had rifles in their cars to get them, and circle either side of the Bar. Looking first through the window in the back door, to ensure he didn't walk into a trap. He saw Kersen charge the remaining two men, smacking the first man, the one who had hit you, with the shank of the oar on his knee. Then twirled around hitting the last guy in the ribs with the edge of the paddle. His attacks were startling and brutal; both of those men moved as rapidly as they could down the path away from the two of you. Kersen glanced quickly around, finding no more danger, he dropped the paddle, then started to bend down towards you. Suddenly he stopped and seemed to stiffen, then stood up, and took a step towards the Bar."

Bear continued, a catch in his voice, "I looked down in horror, and saw the first guy standing, his right hand covering a bloody wound on the side of his head. His left arm was outstretched pointing towards Kersen holding a gun. Kersen took a step towards him; I think to get between you and the gunman. The man screamed something, and then fired twice; both bullets struck him in the stomach. I moved to grab the doorknob and glanced at the clock it was 8:39, then I flung the back door open. The guy that shot Kersen looked up the steps at me then started to swing his gun towards me. I unloaded both barrels into his head and chest. He didn't have a chance. As I started to move out to get to Kersen who was on his knees with one arm holding himself up, his other arm around his stomach, suddenly two bullets slammed into the doorframe beside me. The other two goons were shooting at me. I moved back into the bar. The Ol' boys I had sent out to get their guns, opened fire with their hunting rifles while I reloaded the shotgun.

There was a long silence, then a lone 'I give up, ' echoed into the night, and one of the two remaining rowdies came into the light with his hands on his head. One of the fellows with the rifles had found his mark; two of the punks were now dead. No one moved for a second, and then the night lit up with the sounds of sirens, it seems Becky had called the Sheriff. One of my buddies took control of the man who had surrendered.

Becky and I got to you two a moment later. Kersen had just said something to you. I bent over pulling him up on his knees and leaned him into my chest so Becky could get some of the towels she had brought onto the wounds to stop the blood flow. He looked up and asked me to tell you 'Goodbye' and that he loved you and knew you loved him.

Your parents had heard the ruckus at your campsite and came running up to us just as the sheriff arrived. Kersen... lasted until 8:51, but he got to say 'I love you' and his Goodbyes to his parents. They were holding him when he died. Your parents got to you by then and were cradling you as life left him. He was holding your hand when he died, honey." Tears had been trickling down the big man's face.

Gebriele opened her eyes as she whispered, "Kersen, I wish you would have held on so I could have said goodbye."

It was 8:39. She felt a twinge of regret but for some reason felt more comforted this year than before. "Oh well" she thought, "Time heals all wounds." She sat and mentally told him all about the year: the goings on in her house and his parent's house, including the wonderful news that his parents had been approved to adopt the twins they had been foster parents to for the last 3 years. Wonder of wonders his Mom had allowed her to go into Kersen's old room, box up everything, repaint and redecorate it since the twins were girls. Running out of things to say she just sat and thought about her bestest friend and how much she missed him. Then it was over at least for another year, she could go on with her life.

Becky who had been watching her friend, waited until Gebriele sighed and started to lift her head, and then slid into the bench across the booth from her. Gebriele, looked up with tear-stained cheeks, and smiled, at her friend.

Becky said, "Hi!"

"Hi yourself."

"You Ok now?"

"Yeah, for another year."

"Gebriele, I've been here with you for 6 years, you've never told me why you can't move on?"

"I've asked myself that exact same thing for six years Becky. I was the only one who didn't get to say Goodbye, to see him go. I'll not see him again to say it until I cross over, at the end of my life. I know it's stupid but I wanted, no needed, to say goodbye. Trust me Becky, it's getting easier to live life afterwards, I am healing."

Gebriele smiled at her friend.

"I'll see you tomorrow for breakfast," Becky remarked, "gotta get home to my Hubby." She went out the back door to her truck and left.

Gebriele, sighed allowing her head to fall into her hands, elbows on the table, tears flowing easily as she felt him with her once again.

Sitting with her head in her hands, she didn't see the two drunken college guys come in to get a couple of 12-paks or that they noticed her. Bear was outside making sure the remaining six college rowdies all stayed in the truck while Carla, the regular night shift girl, was watching the cash drawer and filling orders. The two 'would be Romeo's' staggered over and sat down with Gebriele; one sliding in across from her, the other one next to her, putting his arm around her shoulders, he pulled her close to him.

Startled, she shouted, "What the Hell do you want, get your arm off of me, get out of here and leave me alone." The red flush of her ears and the pitch of her voice indicating how angry she was. She was absolutely flabbergasted at the guy's gall.

The guy across the table slurred out, "ah com-on hunniee." He sounded like a bad script from those old movies her mom and dad watched. "You don't need to cry over him, we'll make everything all better, now quit playin' hard to git." He winked at the guy who was still holding her.

"Get off of me." She poked the guy with his arm around her in the ribs she shoved him with both hands, forcing him out of the booth and onto the floor.

"Now, get out of here and leave me alone." She hoped Her vibrato hid how scared she was.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.