The Hawk and The Chipmunk - Cover

The Hawk and The Chipmunk

Copyright© 2005 R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 66

Later that evening, as Jason and Andy quietly enjoyed their first night as a married couple, Hawk, Maria, and Brenda were at the ranch in Phoenix. With them were Dan Cashman, Hawk’s friend and partner; Deke Templeton, their Attorney; and those who formed the core of the new company. They reviewed the actions the company had already taken then set goals and direction for the coming months. As part of the discussion Hawk turned to Dan, and said, “Dan, you did a good job on the acquisition of the wire company. I think your next projects should be to find a company that makes batteries, a computer company, and a company involved in aviation.”

“Aviation?” queried Lee Marten. “How does that fit into our overall corporate plans?”

Hawk answered, “One of the men I hired yesterday is a highly experienced aerospace engineer named Silverstone. He’ll be working out of Wichita researching the use of electric motors for smaller aircraft. Though it may be years before the research pays off, he feels there are a lot of people in that area still unemployed after Beech / Raytheon closed down the Starship project. These are skilled people who’ve the ability to think outside the box.”

“They were trying to build a starship?” asked Joaquin.

“No, it was something similar to the King Air we’ve been using, but it had a very futuristic and unusual, but highly stable design. It used graphite composites for the air-frame and high-tech plastics for the surface to reduce weight, as well as friction. I don’t want to duplicate the Starship, but I think we’ll be ahead of the game by learning from their mistakes. Besides, I think these people got the shaft, and I want to help.”

“How did they get the shaft?” asked Deke.

“They did what they were hired to do: create an aircraft like no other in the world, and just as they were ready to go into production Beech was sold to Raytheon who had no idea what to do with it. Since they didn’t believe in the project it was never pushed from a marketing standpoint, and was then terminated due to the lack of sales.”

“Honey,” asked Brenda, “when did you learn all this about the company?”

“After Silverstone mentioned the Starship development team as being ideal for what I was considering I looked it up on the Web. Looking at what they’d done and how Raytheon had just hung them out to dry didn’t sit well with me.”

Brenda opened her laptop and powered it up as she said, “Now, you’ve piqued my curiosity. I’ve got to see what you’re talking about.” Soon everyone gathered around Brenda as she brought up her browser and did a search on Starship. Dissatisfied by the initial results of her search Brenda looked inquiringly at Hawk.

“Try Beech Starship,” he replied. Moments later, there was a cacophony of Oooos! Wows! and one Kewl!

Brenda looked up with a grin, and said, “Well, my smart husband, I think you’ve made your point. These are definitely the kind of people we want in our company.”

Maria asked, “Hawk, I can follow your ideas, but why do we need to acquire a company for this? Couldn’t we do better with a start-up?”

Dan answered, “The key will be getting air-frame licenses, etcetera, from the FAA. It’d be easier using an established company than being a ‘new kid on the block.’ It may also make it easier to get access to some of the research facilities the company needs.”

“So, we’re not talking about buying Boeing or something like that?” Maria asked rhetorically.

“No,” answered Dan, “but I do have a company in mind, as well as some other ideas. This company is already in bankruptcy, which will make their acquisition rather inexpensive. And they’ve extensive experience working with graphite and polymer composites.”

“Bankrupt?” asked Brenda. “Is this a good place to start?”

“It is when they were underfunded to begin with, as well as in too small a niche market. Their products were well made, and the company’s management did a good job for what they had. Besides, the name Mustang Aviation seems to fit our group rather well.”

Hawk asked, “Dan, you must have already been doing some research on the company?”

“I was, but only as a potential consumer. Those old ‘warbirds’ fascinate me.”

“Warbirds?” asked Deke.

“The company built seventy percent scale reproductions of some of the key fighter aircraft of World War Two. Of course, they were unarmed and contained much smaller and less powerful engines, but those who have flown both claimed the reproductions were as much fun to fly as their bigger brothers. I think the company’s biggest mistake was to put the major thrust of their marketing program into selling the aircraft as kits that were to be put together by the owner. Your Mister Silverstone might have had a field day with such a kit, but the assembly was over the head of the average pilot who would have loved to fly one.”

“Were they used in some of the war movies made in Hollywood?” asked Ken, the ex-chauffeur from San Diego who was now a key part of their human resources department.

“No, they weren’t marketed that way, and I think that was one of their weaknesses. They were so focused on the kits to private pilots they ignored other unique and potentially more profitable markets.”

Hawk looked thoughtful for a moment, and then said, “Dan, see what the company looks like under your microscope and get back to me with a proposal. I’ll need to know what it’d take to buy it, which employees that will stay with the company, especially if it relocates, and an estimate of cost to move the company to Kansas. I’ll also need an operating budget and cash projections for the next ten years so I can determine how much additional funding will be required, especially between year three and year ten.”

“I may need to add some staff to help, but we’ll have it for you as quickly as possible.”

A slightly frustrated Hawk answered, “Dan, you’re this company’s Chief Financial Officer. You don’t ask for staff, you just get the staff you need to do the job.”

“Dayum, now he’s throwing my own words back at me.” This got a solid chuckle from the group.

Maria remarked, “Now we’ve got aviation potentially covered, what about a computer company? Dell’s pretty much got that area locked up.”

Hawk replied, “I can think of a couple of companies that are still in business and known for quality products. Let me make a couple of phone calls and see what develops.”

“Since Dawn and Ken are working to find us some offices and such I’d like to do some investigating regarding the battery market,” proclaimed Lee Marten.

“And I’d like to look into companies making small electric generators, especially those that are wind-driven,” added Bobby Bright Feather. “I know we’re not ready to implement that technology, but in line with our other plans it just makes sense to introduce new products from an existing company.”

Maria added, “I concur, and I hope we can all adapt Bobby’s insightful attitude. We also need to remind ourselves we’re in a war - a war against the powers that oppress our people, as well as the powers that wish to suppress these advances from benefiting mankind.”

Hawk looked around the group, and noted the smiles and slight nods from his two loves. He closed his eyes and quietly weighed the ideas. Finally, after a moment of silent meditation, Hawk enthusiastically proclaimed, “Let’s do it!”


The next morning started out rather laid back with Hawk enjoying a loving romp in bed with his wives, a full breakfast, and then some down time. Maria and Brenda, along with two security people, gave Dan’s wife, Margaret, a horseback tour of the ranch. Dan and Hawk did casually discuss a few business ideas, but it was more a brainstorming session between two old friends than a business meeting. Unfortunately, as the clock moved toward noon, this serenity was shattered by the ringing of Hawk’s encrypted cell phone. The display said that it was Jason.

“Good morning, Jason. How’s the newlyweds this morning?”

“Andy’s insatiable, I’m exhausted, my leg is hurting, and I just got off the phone with the Governor. She wants Andy and me to come to the Governor’s mansion as soon as we can.”

“That sounds encouraging.”

“Hawk, I need to discuss this with you, Brenda, and Maria before we see her, and it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to have Deke there, also.”

“We can do that. What about your grandfather? Is he still around?”

“You never know with him, but I’ll see. Do you really think we need him?”

“Jason, I have to admit that the old man is spooky as hell, but I’m coming to believe there’s more to this world than what I can touch. I’d feel a lot more comfortable hearing whatever visions he has. Besides, he seemed to have a lot of practical wisdom, which may help us.”

“Then I’ll see if I can locate him. We should see you in about an hour.”

“Jason, you worry me. You couldn’t get here from your cabin in an hour if you’d already left.”

“I can if I use the chopper I have hidden away in a blind canyon less than a mile from here.”

“I didn’t think you could surprise me any longer, but you just did. I know you’re a legendary pilot, but a hidden helicopter - that’s getting a bit much.”

“Hawk, I think you’re expecting too much out of this. I don’t have a Huey or a Blackhawk. It’s a four seat bird that has a piston engine, uses standard aviation gasoline, and has a top speed of around one fifty. Besides, Robinson made me a very good deal on the craft. Probably because I’ve a good bit of stock in the company, both as part of their initial capital, with additional stock coming as compensation for doing a lot of the design and testing.”

“That makes sense, but it also implies you’re a lot better off financially than most would imagine, even without the funds I’ve added to the coffers.”

“Hawk, those coffers and my pocket are two entirely different things and let’s just say my wallet was pretty fat before we met. As for the money in the trust, that’s not for my personal use, but is intended to assist our people, and that’s part of what I want to discuss before we see the Governor.”

“OK, then I’ll call Deke and see if he or Julian can break free for a bit. Is there anyone else I need to contact?”

“I think your friend Dan should be a part of this. He’s got a level head on his shoulders and immense wisdom for someone his age. He’s the second smartest person I know.”

“Well, he and his wife are already here at the ranch, so that won’t be a problem. I’d like you to complete that thought, just out of curiosity.”

“What thought?”

Almost exasperated, Hawk exclaimed, “If he’s the second smartest, who’s number one?”

“Why, you, of course.” The ‘gotcha’ in his voice was obvious.

With a sudden realization, Hawk asked, “Old man, how are you going to fly a helicopter with your leg?

“Oh shit! See, I said you were smart. I guess we’ll see you in two to three hours. I probably should advise the governor of the delay, though I’m not sure what to say about the chopper.”

“What do you need to say?”

“I guess this all fits together, we need to discuss how much should be revealed about my financial situation, as well as how we should structure our lives if we enter this political fishbowl. What I say to the governor should flow from that.”

“Jason, since you’ve spent most of your life trying to ‘fly underneath the radar, ‘ I can see why this would be an important discussion. Give me a ballpark figure, and I’ll see if I can get the discussion going even before you arrive.”

“I think that will be a good idea. I would also suggest you call Susan Alexander at Alexander, Brighten, and Gold there in Mesa and see if she can join us and bring copies of all my tax returns, investments, etcetera.”

“I’m assuming she’s your CPA, but won’t she need your authorization to talk to us?”

“She knows who you are, and she already has written authorization to discuss my affairs with my granddaughter.”

“Then, we’ll get right on it.”

“Thanks, Hawk. I think this will be a very important meeting.”

“I do, too, and that’s why I think we need your grandfather’s insight.”


“Governor!” exclaimed Ron Adams, one of her leading advisers. “You can’t be serious about appointing this savage to represent us in the Senate. It’ll blacken Arizona’s image as a technologically progressive state for years.”

“Ron, what do you know about this man?”

“That he’s one of the leaders of the White Mountain Apache. What else do I need to know?”

She handed him a file, and said, “Sit here and read through this. Then offer advice from an informed mind, not from preconceived ideas and stereotypes.”

Twenty minutes later a rather humbled Ron Adams looked up and said, “This isn’t what I expected. A highly decorated rescue helicopter pilot in Vietnam, an engineering degree from Virginia Tech, Masters in Aeronautical Engineering from University of Washington, first in his class at the War College, rising to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel before suddenly resigning - this isn’t what I was expecting.”

“Ron, I suspected such. I also was told that while he was getting his Masters he was doing the design work on the latest version of the Apache Helicopter, which is where it received the code-name Longbow. In fact, that design work was his thesis. Also, along with his sudden resignation from the Army, did you note the blackened areas or gaps on some of those sheets relating to his military service?”

“Yes, though I’ve seen enough movies to know they probably represent top secret covert operations. That they are there is significant; while the number of them is impressive.”

“I agree, though what might surprise you is they’re almost all rescue missions. I got that information straight from Senator McCray. He also told me it was Jason Magill who was the mysterious rescuer in the California slavery scandal. That’s very confidential information, and it had better stay in this office. I’d hate to have that man after you for endangering his family.”

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.