The Hawk and The Chipmunk
Chapter 46

Copyright© 2005 R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

With Hawk seated in the rear of the darkened Suburban Ken pulled away from the general aviation terminal. After making several twists and turns exiting the airport Ken turned down the Pacific Highway, and a short distance later he took a left fork at a sign pointing toward the Sports Arena. A little further and the SUV pulled in front of a store named ‘Team Town.’ Ken ran inside and returned a few minutes later carrying a shopping bag with handles.

“Based on what we talked about earlier I got you four different sets of hats and shirts, as I figured you’d be changing them through a sequence of stops.”

“You guessed right, but I can’t carry around this big shopping bag. It’d be too obvious.”

“I got increasing sizes on the shirts so they can be put one on top of the other. Plus, you can fold all the hats, but one, into a pocket. Then, as you take off a shirt or hat either throw it in the trash, or hide it your pocket. In fact, I’d place some of the shirts under your other clothes to make you look fatter or more broad shouldered. As for the one larger hat, I would use in the beginning, as you’ll be able to wear it longer before anyone gets suspicious.”

“I’m impressed,” stated Hawk, “these are far better ideas than I had. Any other suggestions?”

“Thanks, but these are just standard surveillance tactics they taught us at the police academy. As for other ideas, I suggest you change your posture and gait each time you changed hats and shirts. Also, I’d wear sunglasses anytime I was outdoors and keep the hat brim pulled low at all times. How far do you expect to travel?”

“Actually, I’ll probably go less than ten blocks, but we do have a problem, I don’t have any sunglasses.”

“Not a problem, I’ll stop at a shop at the edge of ‘Old Town.’ Why don’t you go ahead and be getting your shirts on?”

Ken pulled the SUV away from the store, and Hawk opened the shopping bag.

Suddenly Hawk exclaimed, “Oh Shit!” and then started laughing.

“What’s wrong?”

“This big straw Alabama hat is what’s wrong. I’ve been an Auburn fan since before I could walk.”

Ken laughed, and said, “Even I know about that rivalry. Look at it this way; by your wearing it that hat is the ultimate camouflage.”

“That’s bad! Funny, but bad.”

“Do you want me to go back and exchange it?”

“No,” Hawk laughed, “it’ll end up in the trash, where it belongs, soon enough.”

Ken drove them to the edge of ‘Old Town, ‘ the site of the original city of San Diego. They stopped at a small store where Ken purchased a pair of nondescript wire-rimmed sunglasses. By the time Ken returned to the SUV Hawk had put on the shirts in the suggested manner, ending up with a silver and black ‘Raiders’ jersey as the one on top. When Hawk tucked his hair under the hat and added the sunglasses even Maria would’ve had difficulty picking him out of a crowd. With Hawk’s series of disguises now ready they drove toward Coronado Island.

As they crossed the bridge over the bay Ken asked, “Where do you want me to drop you?”

Looking at the map he’d picked up earlier, Hawk answered, “Start at Centennial Park and just drive around the business area on Orange. I’ll let you know when.”

“OK.”

For the next twenty minutes the Black SUV cruised up and down Orange, and back and forth on First through Tenth streets. It was a real hodgepodge of shops, offices, homes, and apartments.

Finally, a slightly exasperated Ken asked, “Haven’t you found the place yet?”

“At this point I’m not looking for a place, as much as a situation.”

“How is that?”

“I’m looking for a corner that’s fairly crowded with shops close to the road and a good bit of traffic on the streets in front of it.”

“Like that one up ahead?” asked Ken.

“Yep! That will do nicely. I want you to get in the right turn only lane and time it so you’re caught by the light.”

“Can Do.”

Ken did exactly what Hawk directed, but when they stopped for the light Hawk made no effort to exit the vehicle. Finally, as the light turned green Hawk opened the door, and said, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

As Hawk intended, Ken was caught in the right turn lane with the traffic backing up behind him. Having no other option but to follow through on the turn he knew his assignment to stay close to Hawk was now an impossible one. Frustrated at being set up so easily Ken angrily slammed the steering wheel as he pulled away from the corner. All he could do now was to circle the block, hoping to catch a glimpse of Hawk as he moved through the crowd. He seriously doubted his chances of success, but at least he had the advantage of knowing what shirts and hats Hawk would be wearing.

Hawk, on the other hand, grinned as he slipped away from the vehicle and onto the crowded sidewalk. He watched Ken until he’d completed his turn and was out of sight. Then, instead of starting an elaborate plan of moving in and out of shops and changing of outfits he entered a doorway just a few feet away and took the elevator to the third floor. Thus, before Ken could complete his turn around the block Hawk was in Benji’s office. Ken may have been exasperated, but what no one had realized was this entire scheme wasn’t to protect Hawk. It was to protect Benji. Inside Benji’s office, a lovely brown-skinned woman wearing a traditional Indian Sari greeted him with, “Good Morning. Are you Hawk?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

Hawk noted her lack of an accent as she said, “Hawk, I’m Benji’s wife, Raj. You’re a few minutes early, and Benji hasn’t arrived yet. I’d offer you something to eat or drink, but you’re not supposed to have anything before surgery.”

“Thank you for the thought, at least. I haven’t had anything since dinner last night, though I didn’t know I couldn’t. Anyway, I need a couple of minutes to shed these various shirts. In addition, would you please get rid of this Alabama Crimson Tide Hat? I don’t even want to have to remember wearing it.”

“I can. Is it all right to give it away?”

“Sure, but who in San Diego would want it?”

“My son has a friend. He always speaks about how great Alabama was.”

Hawk sighed at hearing ‘living in the past ‘Bama fans’ were here, even on the west coast, and answered, “Yes, I guess you can give it to him.”

As Hawk removed everything down to a ‘Padre’s’ tee shirt, Raj asked, “If I not being too nosy, why are you wearing all those shirts?” Hawk chuckled as he explained the original purpose of using the different shirts and hats to make it difficult for anyone trying to follow him. “Since you still had them all on, I assume you didn’t have anyone ‘on your tail’ as they say.”

“Raj, the way I worked it no one would have had a chance, not even those who were helping me.”

“That all seems pretty elaborate. Is your life normally filled with that sort of thing?”

“No, Ma’am, but I wasn’t so much trying to protect myself, as to protect you and your husband. I didn’t want to leave a trail back to Benji for either side to follow.”

Smiling, she said, “Then, I appreciate your efforts and your ingenuity. I’d like to have him around for at least another fifty years.”

Moments later the office door opened. Benji and another Indian male entered, and Benji locked the door. “Good morning, Hawk. I see you be meeting Raj. This is my nephew, Medhi.”

Hawk responded by shaking their hands, and saying, “Good morning to both of you. Medhi, it’s nice meeting you, and thanks for helping Benji on this project.”

Medhi replied, “It’s my pleasure. I and my family have many debts of honor to your friend, Dan.” Then, with a grin, he added, “Besides, he pays well, and always in cash.” Hawk was still laughing as they led him into the small operating room and situated him in the reclining chair.

As they eased him back into a horizontal position Raj, who was now wearing green scrubs, said, “Hawk, with all the time we’ve had to set up, this should go very quickly, though we always have to prepare for the unexpected. When you wake up your face and mouth will be sore, and there could be a good bit of pain for a few hours. On the positive side, what you won’t have will be a lot of obvious incisions, and there will be little need for more than a couple of Band-Aids.”


A short time after Hawk and Ken left the airport Brenda and Michael, disguised as Hawk, led the others in her party into the Renaissance Inn. As soon as she saw Brenda, Maria rushed to hold her tightly.

“Hi, Sis,” said an excited Maria, “I’m soooooo glad you’re here. I’ve missed you so much.”

Brenda whispered into Maria’s ear, “That’s also what our husband said when he met us at the plane. When he hugged me, he felt so hard, I wondered if you were taking care of him properly.” Maria giggled a moment before trying to appear serious.

Then, in a normal voice, Maria said, “We’ll discuss that at a later time. Now, introduce me to our guests.”

Brenda replied, “Maria Gray Hawk, this is the Bright Feather family from Alamogordo, New Mexico: Bobby, his wife Rennie and daughter Mandy, and Bobby’s brother Joaquin. Hawk has hired both brothers to work in the research area. Also, this is Bill Bryce, our new pilot. Guys, this is Hawk’s wife, Maria.”

Maria shook hands with the adults and welcomed them to San Diego. “Rennie, could I possibly hold little Mandy for a moment?” asked Maria.

“If she’ll go to you. She’s pretty shy with strangers.”

Maria held out her arms. To the amazement of her mother the little girl cooed as she almost jumped to Maria in response to the invitation. “Well, I’ve never seen her do that before. Daughter, are you trying to make a liar out of me?” Suddenly noticing the tears in Maria’s eyes, Rennie asked, “Are you all right?”

Maria nodded as Brenda said, “Maria had a miscarriage almost two months ago. I think holding Mandy might be good therapy for her.”

After a couple of minutes Maria smiled and handed Mandy back to her mother, saying, “Thank you. That did help, and she’s a real sweetheart. It’s almost as if she could sense my need, even before I could.”

With the greetings complete, Maria turned everyone but Brenda over to Sol to be checked in and taken to their rooms.

“Hawk,” Maria said to Michael, “why don’t we give Brenda a quick tour and then take her to our suite to get settled?”

“Good idea,” he responded.

As the three headed out of the lobby Dancer came forward and asked, “Maria, when can we tell your guests you want to start the meetings and interviews.”

“I’m not sure. I guess as soon as Ken returns and we can get things coordinated. In the meantime, I’d like to see Lee Marten and his fiancée in our suite in fifteen minutes.”

“I’ll see everyone gets the message. Should I send Ken back when he arrives?”

“Dancer, please call the room first. We may want to meet him in the conference room instead.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

As Michael / Hawk lead the two women toward their suite, Brenda asked, “Dancer?”

Maria, knowing Brenda had no interest in football, answered, “It was a nickname carried over from when he played football.”

“Oh, OK,” a puzzled Brenda replied. Then, as she thought Football? Dancer?, Brenda shook her head and shrugged.

On the way to the suite Michael and Maria showed Brenda the conference / meeting room and the smaller rooms which were intended for individual interviews. She was satisfied with the layout, and even more delighted with the suite itself. It wasn’t the Del, which she’d never seen, but Tony and his sons had gone all out to make it both romantic and functional.

Once the door closed Michael slipped into the adjoining suite to call his wife. As he closed the door that separated the suites, Brenda and Maria again fell into each others’ arms. “Well, how was the honeymoon?” asked Brenda.

“It was lovely, and the Del is unbelievable. My only regret was you weren’t in town to share it with me.”

“But, Sis, it was supposed to be your honeymoon, not ours.”

“That may be true, but I know I felt incomplete without you, and I’m pretty sure Hawk felt the same. I do know we were both eagerly waiting for you to join us.”

Brenda replied, “I’m glad you both missed me, though I’ve mixed feelings regarding what you’re saying about the honeymoon. I don’t know I’d feel the same if it was me instead of you.” Brenda paused in thought a moment, and added, “But then again, maybe I would. I know I sure missed you while you were gone. Now, how serious is this security issue? Hawk gave me a brief summary, but it seemed like he was just touching the edges.”

“It seems the group that Jason exposed and crushed at Tule River was part of the local drug lord’s operation, and he’s some kind of pissed. He doesn’t know who Jason is, but he’s placed a large bounty on his head. Since he doesn’t know the identity of the person who fucked up his program we’re probably safe, but we felt it was better to be cautious.”

“That makes sense. What does Jason think of the threat?”

“I’m not sure, as I haven’t talked to grandfather since the wedding. I’d bet Hawk knows, though. Sometimes, I think those two are more related than grandfather and me.”

“Are you complaining?”

“Believe me, Brenda; to have the most important man in my life having that kind of relationship with my second most important man is a blessing, not a curse.”

“I know. It’s almost the same with him and Aunt Beth, and it touches my heart every time I see them together.”

Though they were expecting it, the two women were still surprised by the knock on the door. Maria peeked and saw a young couple waiting outside. “You must be Lee and Dawn,” she said, as she opened the door.

“Yes, Ma’am. I’m Lee Marten and this is my fiancée, Dawn Baker.”

“Well, I’m Maria Gray Hawk, Jason’s granddaughter and this is Brenda Gilford, my adopted sister and co-wife.”

A surprised Dawn said, “I talked to Miss Gilford on the way down here, but what do you mean co-wife?”

Maria answered, “I’m Hawk’s legal wife, but, in actuality, we’re both his wives.”

“Isn’t that bigamy?”

“Not in Arizona. You can have as many women as you want, but you can have only one woman on your marriage license.”

Lee replied, “Yes, but you’re in California, and I think you’ll find the laws much more restrictive. We’ve common law marriages here that can be in conflict with a marriage license and a legal wedding. I doubt anyone would do anything, but I’d suggest you get legal advice, as well as being cautious.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.