The Hawk and The Chipmunk - Cover

The Hawk and The Chipmunk

Copyright© 2005 R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 14

Hawk looked at the two women that had entered his life. Considering the conversation he’d just overheard he knew he was in trouble. On the other hand, it wasn’t a ‘trouble’ he couldn’t live with. Both women were lovely, wholesome, ‘girl-next-door’ types who could best be called cute. They both had bad experiences in their past. But instead of becoming bitter shrews they were gentle and caring women. Also, he had first hand experience of their bravery and resilience. He didn’t know if it was a curse or not, but it looked like he was definitely going to ‘live in interesting times.’ While he was pondering his future, both women rushed to him. Brenda flanked his right and Maria his left.

Andy, trying to look like a stern nurse, asked, “Young man, what are you doing out of that bed?”

“I was awakened by the aroma of a succulent feast and by the singing of two beautiful nightingales.”

Shaking her head Andy responded, “Darn! If it gets any deeper in here, we’ll all drown!”

Hawk laughed. “Andy, I was just teasing all of you. But that food does smell wonderful, and I’m starving.”

She replied, “Then lay back down and we’ll bring you something. Normally, someone who’d been through what you have, would start off with broth. Fortunately, your stomach hasn’t been empty for that long. Since we don’t have any broth here right now would you like the other half of my burger? It’s delicious, but it’s the biggest hamburger I’ve ever seen.” While Maria and Brenda helped him get back to the daybed Andy returned to the kitchen and used the microwave to reheat the meat in the untouched burger half. Looking in the refrigerator she saw more of the concoction Jason had prepared for Hawk. She poured some in a glass, over ice.

Bringing it to Hawk, she said, “Here you go. Just take your time, and eat it slowly.”

“Thanks, Andy. Now where am I?”

Maria answered, “You’re in my apartment in Mesa.”

Taking a bite of the burger, Hawk’s eyes opened wide. “MMMMMmmmmm! This is an excellent burger. I’ll definitely want more of these in the future.”

Brenda asked, “John, how are you feeling?”

“Brenda, we need to keep focused on the fact John is dead. If we don’t it’d be too easy to slip up at the wrong time. I’ll have to say right now Hawk is feeling pretty good. I’m surrounded by three beautiful women, and feasting on this food deserving of the gods. I feel rested and energetic with surprisingly little soreness. I suspect whatever that stuff was that your grandfather gave me had something to do with that.”

Andy said, “We didn’t have much choices of drinks in the refrigerator, so I poured you some more over ice.”

“Well, if a second glass has as much effect on me as the first one did, these two precious ladies are in a ‘heap of trouble.’

Brenda held him close, and replied, “We won’t mind. Not at all.”

The four were still talking when they heard someone at the door. Andy went to the door and returned with Jason, Mary Beth, Julian, and Zed. The newcomers were surprised to see John / Hawk partially sitting up on the daybed with the last bite of the hamburger in his fingers.

Julian said, “I thought you were going to call if he awakened early.”

Andy replied, “He’s only been awake a few minutes. According to my watch, you were due back any time, so I didn’t see any reason to call.”

“Oh. Then you’re correct in your judgment,” he said. Turning to Hawk, he asked, “How are you doing, sport?”

“Pretty good for a dead man. Now, what’s going on?”

“As per your instructions through Maria I’ve your will and the trust agreements for you to sign. Brenda and Mary Beth are here to witness them. They would’ve been the only ones in the group (besides Dennis, or myself), who would’ve had access to you a year ago.”

“That makes sense. I guess it’s not a good idea for the lawyer who draws up the will to witness it.”

“No. That’s a quick way to have the will thrown out, and possibly have the lawyer disbarred.”

“Then show me what I need to sign. I’m past due for my next medication. If it hits me like the last one I’ll sleep until tomorrow.”

Placing the papers on top of a hard cover book, Julian handed him a pen. While he pointed to the specific places he said, “Here, here, here, and here.”

As John signed, he asked, “Is there anything else going on?”

“As a matter of fact, there is. We got a call this morning from a notorious ‘ambulance chaser’ who advised us he’s going to file a protest against your will on the behalf of your daughter.”

This shocked the entire group. Hawk queried, “Daughter?”

“Dennis figured it was something concocted by your ex-wife. Deke came up with a great approach. He suggested they establish paternity before any motions were filed. He’s to meet the lawyer this afternoon at the funeral home to take a DNA sample.”

Mary Beth and Zed chuckled, and Brenda actually giggled like a school girl. Their response to this puzzled the rest of the group. Concerned about his ex-wife’s underhanded dealings Hawk expressed his confusion, saying, “I’m sorry, but I don’t see the humor in this. That shark must smell more blood in the water.”

Brenda responded, “The problem is they’ll be taking a DNA sample from your ‘dead body.’ Even if the child is yours there’s no way there would be a DNA match.” With that news Hawk, Jason, and Andy all seemed to relax and smile.

Maria frowned, and asked, “But what if she really is his daughter? Won’t we be cheating her out of her father’s estate?”

Hawk responded, “First, since I’m not really dead we aren’t cheating her out of anything that would honestly be due her. Second, if my ex-wife gets her hands on the money I can guarantee you the child would never see much of it. On the other hand, I’m concerned for the child when Candice suddenly finds she’s of no value.”

Julian responded, “So are we. That’s why we’ve hired some private detectives to discreetly shadow the attorney, and anyone he meets with regarding the child. We’ve also placed security guards at the funeral home to prevent any tampering with the DNA sample.”

A relieved Hawk said, “Thank you for thinking things through. You two have always looked out for me.”

“I think in this case you’ll be happy to learn our new partner was the brains behind our response, as well as the instigator of the security measures. Dennis and I couldn’t be happier about him coming on-board. You’ve a big ‘thank you’ coming for that.”

“Julian, he had to be a good man; he’s Mary Beth’s friend.”

Mary Beth beamed at the remark, but Andy just shook her head, and said, “And I thought it was ‘getting deep’ in here earlier. Hawk, you’re past due for your medicine, and you need to rest.”

Everyone could tell she was teasing, but she was also right. Hawk did need to take his medicine and get some rest. Everyone but Andy, Maria, and Brenda said their good-byes and left the room. Andy gave him his medicine, and joined the others. This left Hawk being held by Brenda and Maria until he fell asleep. Then they joined the others for more good-byes before leaving.

After Brenda and the others left Jason, Maria, and Andy sat at the small table in the kitchen to talk. Letting out a long sigh Maria exclaimed, “Wow, what a day! Where do we go from here, Grandfather?”

Looking at Andy, Jason asked, “Can you care for Hawk here as easily as at my place?”

“Sure. Though I need to go back to get some more clothes and things. Also, where would I sleep?”

Maria said, “You can sleep in my bed. I promise not to molest you.”

Andy smiled, raised her eyebrows, and said, “Oh! Well darn, there goes my night of fun.” Maria looked shocked, until she saw both Andy and her grandfather grinning at her. This would take some adjustment on her part, as she wasn’t used to being around someone who teased her like this.

“Well, there’s a trundle bed below the day bed. You and Grandfather could take my bed, and I could sleep in the room with Hawk.”

Jason responded, “Granddaughter, that’s a sweet and tempting offer. But I need to go back to our place, at least for tonight. Besides, I think this place is too small for all of us. What are your plans?”

“I need to talk to my professors and see if I can make up the work I missed. If I can’t I’ll have to drop out and start again next semester. The problem is there are only about seven class days left in this semester. The other thing I need to do is clean out the refrigerator and go get some groceries and things for us.”

Andy spoke up and said, “I’ve a suggestion. Why don’t you go on to school and talk with your professors. If Jason can take care of the refrigerator and watch Hawk I’ll go to the store. I can buy me up a couple of shorts and tops as well as the groceries.”

Maria nodded as Jason said, “I can do that. If I run into a problem I’ll call you on your cell phone. If I get through in time I’ll run home and do what needs to be taken care of there. If I go I’d be back by dinner.”

“Speaking of cell phones, Grandfather, here’s yours back. I got a new one for me when I got one for Hawk this morning,” Maria said. Pulling a sheet of paper out of her purse she continued, “Here are both our new numbers. Hawk’s is the first one, and mine is the second.” Both Andy and Jason programmed the numbers into their phones, and then Andy placed the sheet on the refrigerator with a magnet.

Maria and Andy checked on Hawk and returned to the kitchen. Maria grabbed her purse and headed for the door. Before she could open it Andy called out, “By the way, what kind of food should I get?”

“Andy, when it comes to food I’m a pretty plain and simple girl. I usually get what’s on sale, and then figure some way to make it tasty. Just get what you would want and I’ll probably be happy. Don’t forget we also need to get food for Hawk.”

Jason interjected, “Just don’t get too much chicken. We don’t want him to become a ‘chicken hawk.’“ Both the girls were stunned. Neither could remember Jason ever cracking a joke.

After a few silent moments, Maria added, “And even if it doesn’t it might put him in a ‘fowl’ mood.”

Catching the spirit of the moment Andy held out her hand to Jason, and said, “And I need some real money. The cost of all this isn’t going to be ‘chicken feed.’

Jason pulled three hundred dollar bills from his wallet. He handed them to Andy, and said, “I think I was a ‘dumb cluck’ to have started this.”

“Yep, Grandfather, the ‘yokes’ on you.”

As Maria headed out the door laughing harder than she had in years, she heard a similarly laughing Andy add, “Of course, you always did like to be ‘cock of the walk.’“ Jason just groaned.


Earlier, after Julian and Maria had left to meet with Mary Beth, Zed and Brenda, Dennis and Deke sat down to discuss the situation of the paternity challenge. They finally decided to get Dan Cashman involved, and called the local number that would be transferred to Dan’s home in Mexico, or wherever Dan was at the moment. “Cashman residence.”

“Dan?”

“Who’s calling, Sir?”

“Deke Templeton and Dennis Connors.”

“Please hold a second, Sirs. I’ll get him.”

Moments later Dan came on the line. They chatted for a few moments, and then Deke informed him of the earlier call, about the challenge to the will and their initial ideas for a solution. Dennis concluded, saying, “Dan, we’re sure Candice is behind this, so we’ve got security guarding the body. But I don’t want a fight that will tie up the estate for years, nor do I trust Candice not to try to rig something. I thought Deke’s idea was a good one, but how can we make sure she can’t bribe someone or claim ‘foul’ later? Do you have any suggestions?”

After contemplating the situation for a moment Dan replied, “Deke, you need to make a big point the firm was hired to simply prepare the will and to assist the executor in getting it through probate. Advise the other attorney that subsequent to your earlier conversation you’ve informed the executor of the will of the potential challenge on behalf of the child. Since the executor isn’t to receive anything but the standard fees for transferring any and all assets to the named charities he advises he’ll be happy to cooperate. To cover his fiduciary responsibility the executor also insists all the tests be done by reputable, independent labs, and that everything should be ‘by the numbers.’ At the same time you need to subtlety emphasize neither you nor I care about the final disposition, as we personally gain nothing extra either way.”

Deke responded, “I follow what you want me to do. I’m just not sure the reason for going to this much trouble.”

“What it’ll do will be to help establish the basis for our offer of an agreement if DNA proves John is the father we accept the paternity. The entire estate will then be given over to the child’s guardian, for the benefit of the child. On the other hand if the DNA proves otherwise they agree not to challenge the will, either now, or in the future. Add to this the proposal of three tests, one by a lab of their choice, one by a lab of our choice, and the third to use one of those ‘instant kits’ in front of both parties.”

“Dan, I don’t know if the instant kits will work on a dead body. Don’t they usually use blood or saliva?”

“Dennis, I’ve been checking things out on the internet. There’s a Polish company that offers a kit with a ‘Yes / No’ answer within an hour, and uses any tissue. It’s not admissible in a court, but it could stir the pot immediately, especially because it also requires the child and the mother to be tested at the same time. That would aid us in establishing Candice’s presence.”

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.