The Hawk and The Chipmunk - Cover

The Hawk and The Chipmunk

Copyright© 2005 R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 12

Maria led the people from the helicopter into the Hogan. The head doctor came over to Jason and saluted.

Jason responded, “Colonel, I’m no longer in uniform. You’re not supposed to salute me.”

“Sir, a few years ago, you pulled my ‘chestnuts’ out of the fire. As far as I’m concerned some people are always worth saluting. Now, fill me in.”

“The girl who led you in here is my granddaughter, Little Ground Squirrel, but she’ll answer to Maria. This is her husband, Robert Gray Hawk. She was raped, beaten, and tortured. ‘Hawk’ rescued her, but got beaten and stabbed twice in the process. I came in after the party and helped clean up.”

Another officer said, “So they’re civilians. Why call us out on this?”

Jason gave him a look that made him want to hitchhike back to the Airbase. Finally Jason responded in a deadly cold voice, “Captain, the person that kidnapped my granddaughter was doing it to get back at me. That makes it Black Ops. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Good, then get someone helping Maria, and someone to start working on Hawk’s leg. I figured I’m already down two pints, so you may want to disconnect this direct line and check his oil and tires. I’ll be OK for the moment.”

The Colonel immediately started making assignments. A female doctor and a nurse led Maria out to the helicopter to give her some privacy while they treated her. Another nurse stopped the direct transfusion and removed the needle from Jason’s artery while a third checked Hawk’s vital signs. After the Captain and the Colonel conferred the Captain gave Hawk a shot to put him under, as well as a large hit of antibiotic.

When Jason was free of the needle he tried to sit up, but immediately became woozy. The nurse who removed the needle ran out to the helicopter and brought back some cold orange juice. With the help of one of the pilots she helped Jason sit up and drink some of the juice. While he was helping the pilot saw the Bowie Knife beside Jason, and held it up for the Colonel to see. “Colonel, I think he was determined to be treated right.”

“Lieutenant, as awesome as that ‘Boy Scout’ knife looks, I’m much more worried about the nine millimeter he has on him somewhere. Jason, let’s not take a chance on someone cutting themselves. Where should he put it for now?”

“Probably on the table in what I guess you could call a kitchen. Just be careful. I can’t imagine what the thing is worth.”

Everyone looked at him questioningly while the Lieutenant asked, “How’s that?”

“I don’t know where Hawk got it, but it’s one of the few James Black originals in existence. And before you even ask, he was the blacksmith who made the knife for Bowie. That’s one of the original Bowie Knives.”

While they were talking the nurse took Jason’s pulse and blood pressure. When she finished she looked at the Colonel, and said, “Sir, his pulse is one sixty and thready; BP is ninety over fifty. Should I give him a unit of plasma expander?”

“How many units of whole blood did we bring?”

“Six. All O-negative and cross typed to Mister Magill’s records.”

“Then give him a single unit of whole blood.”

Jason added, “Nurse, my granddaughter was making some special herb tea that will also help my blood. After you start the transfusion would you fix me a cup and add some sugar?”

“I’ll try Sir. I might have to get her help.”

The Colonel laughed, and said, “This Apache Medicine Man uses a twenty million dollar helicopter to fly a six man medical emergency team into a box canyon in the middle of the night and then says his herbal tea will fix the problem.”

Jason laughed with him, and responded, “When you say it that way, it’s pretty funny. But, for future reference, the word everyone translates as Medicine Man just means a man of power. The same word was used for Geronimo.”

“Well, I’ve seen you in action, and either man of power or man of magic could easily fit.”

Wanting to change the subject Jason asked, “Colonel, what’s the story on Hawk?”

“It looks like you did a good job with the transfusion. There were no significant blood vessels hit, and we’re almost through with the leg. We’ve got it cleaned out and added some antibiotic, so we’re about to stitch it up. His leg will be stiff, but he should recover full use. Since the chest is more a surface wound and the bleeding has already stopped we were waiting on that. Besides, no one wants to deal with that damn duct tape. Did you have to use that stuff?”

“I’m afraid that was already on him before I arrived. I’d guess Maria didn’t have any adhesive tape and it’s the only thing she’d available to hold the bandage in place.”

“Actually, in an emergency like this it’s probably the best thing she could do. But I’m not going to rip this boy’s skin off. I’m going to remove just the minimum that will allow me to get to the wound and then give her some stuff to break down the adhesive on the Duct Tape.”

“Colonel, that sounds good to me. Besides, I think she’d be delighted to do anything for him that was needed.”

“How long have they been married?”

“About three years, but she’s been going to school here and he’s been elsewhere, doing work for me.”

“He doesn’t look like a typical Black Ops person.”

“He’s not, but that’s what makes him so effective. He sure took down the kidnappers without waiting on me.”

“What happened to them?”

“Let’s just say they won’t be bothering young women anymore.”

While they’d been talking the nurse had gone outside to find out from Maria how to make the tea. They’d finished treating her, so she came back inside, so she and the nurse did it together. They brought Jason a cup, which he began to drink. He made a face as he tasted it, making it obvious he was forcing it down. “Is it that bad?” the Colonel asked.

“It’s pretty foul tasting stuff, but it works.”

“If it does I’d like to know more about it.” Then, turning to the nurse who’d brought the tea, he asked, “Would you get me an update on Jason’s vitals?”

“I’d be glad to, Sir.”

The Colonel turned to Maria, and asked, “And how are you doing?”

“There’s no permanent damage, but the doctor confirmed I’m pregnant.”

Shocked at her stoic attitude he asked, “Do you need us to make arrangements for something? Do you need counseling or a psychiatrist?

“No, Colonel. I’ve no doubt this is my husband’s baby. Besides, the white man has been screwing the Apache and raping our women for more than a hundred and fifty years. Why should one more bother anyone? There’s no stigma attached to it among my people now, we’ve gotten too used to it.”

Not knowing what else to say, he said, “Well, I’m sorry, anyway.”

Though it was painful Maria smiled at him, and said, “And I appreciate your compassion. I know the swelling will go down in my face, there’s no permanent damage to my female organs, and the bruises and welts on my chest and back will eventually fade.” She then lifted her shift to just below her crotch, and said “What pisses me off more than anything is I’ll have to explain these cuts on my legs every time I wear a bikini.” Jason just shook his head while he and everyone else laughed at her remark.

The Colonel was still laughing when he said, “There’s no doubt this young lady is your granddaughter. I’m surprised she didn’t kill the rapists herself.”

“If I could’ve gotten a hand free I would’ve. But don’t remind me, I’m still angry with my husband for not taking their scalps. He says we’re too civilized for that anymore.”

Knowing getting it out of her system through laughter, not pity, was the best way Jason was pleased with his granddaughter. Because of that he didn’t correct her about the scalps. The Indians didn’t start that practice, they learned it from the white man who took Indian scalps as trophies, or to turn in for bounty. Turning serious, the Colonel asked the nurse, “How are Jason’s vitals?”

“Well within normal, Sir.”

“Good” he replied. Then he said, “Jason, Hawk needs constant, professional care for at least the next seventy-two hours. Do you want us to fly him to Phoenix?”

“No, we’ll go to my home. I’ll get a nurse to stay there. If a problem occurs I’ll take him to the tribal clinic.”

“I’d still like to see him tomorrow and a couple of days later.”

“We can bring him to the base. Just tell us when.”

“OK, but I’ll need to give the nurse some instructions.”

“Colonel, I’m not sure how to handle this logistically. We’ve got two vehicles to move, though we’d be OK if we just move one tonight. I’ve also got to get a hold of the nurse and go get her.”

“Can your granddaughter find your home in the dark and show the pilot where to land?”

Jason looked at Maria, and she nodded. “She says she can.”

“Then they can fly her and her husband there and help them get comfortable. You and I can pick up the nurse, and meet up with the helicopter at your house. I can tell her most of what she needs to know while we ride.”

An orderly that was part of the team interjected, “Sir, I could drive the second truck, if it’d help.”

Jason responded, “Yes, son, it’d help a lot. Let me see if I can get a hold of White Dove.”

Jason removed the phone from his belt, looked up White Dove among his stored numbers and hit send. “Hello.”

“White Dove, it’s Longbow. What’s your schedule like the next few days?”

“Why? Are you going to carry me off to some tropical island?”

Jason chuckled when he replied, “Would you settle for my cabin? Unfortunately, I need a live-in nurse for a few days.”

“For you?”

“No, for my granddaughter’s husband. I’ll tell you more about it later, but for now, can you help me?”

“I’ll have to take a few days leave from the hospital, but I’ve got so many leave days built up they’ll probably be happy to get me out of there.”

“Well, you’ll get paid for this. Can you be ready for us to pick you up in about an hour?”

“Jason, honey, I’ll just take it out in trade. Yeah, I can be ready. You said we, who’ll be with you?”

“An Air Force Colonel, a doctor. He’s supposed to give you instructions while I drive.”

“Heck, I had a sexy outfit I wanted to wear. I guess I’ll just pack it.”

“I’d say it’d be a good idea. I’ll see you shortly.”

“I’ll be waiting.”

Jason hung up, and said, “That’s done.”

The Colonel then turned to his team, and said, “Let’s get this show on the road, people.”

As all the military people were gathering stuff together Jason pulled Maria aside, and whispered, “Downstairs only.” She nodded, and then louder, he asked, “Maria, is there anything you need to take from here?”

“Just me!” she proclaimed, as she turned to follow the litter carrying Hawk to the helicopter.

Jason grabbed the Bowie knife and headed out to his truck. The Colonel joined him and the volunteer for the other truck headed that way. After putting the knife in the back with the other weapons Jason and the Colonel climbed into the cab and led the other truck out. They’d barely gotten a quarter of a mile when they could see the helicopter’s lights lifting up into the darkness.

There was some general conversation while they rode, but for the most part each was quiet. A little less than an hour later they pulled in front of a double wide trailer just west of the central business area of the reservation. Twenty minutes, and several short off-road treks between roads later, they pulled around the helicopter and parked in front of Jason’s little cabin. Amazed, the Colonel asked, “This is where you live?”

“For over twenty years, Colonel, my needs are simple. For a long time, it was just me and my granddaughter, so it was big enough. Besides, unlike most of the people on the reservation I own the land. Almost twenty-five square miles of mountains, valleys, creeks, and forest. I don’t raise any crops, other than maybe a few tomato plants, nor do I have any herds, mines, or stores. Each year I kill an elk, a bighorn sheep, and maybe a deer or a bear. The rest of the time it’s just a quiet refuge from the world in which I’ve lived. I’m hard to find, and therefore hard to kill, and if someone does come after me I’ve got plenty of places to hide. Besides, my ancestors have roamed this land for at least a thousand years. Here, an enemy is at my mercy.” Both the Colonel and White Dove were a little stunned at Jason’s statement. She’d been here before, but hadn’t known he owned the land, nor how much. Neither had thought about him having enemies who might come after him.

They got out and were joined by the guy who’d driven the other truck, he said, “Colonel, I didn’t know we’d be in open country. That truck doesn’t have four wheel drive.”

Jason replied, “But I do, along with a good winch. Besides, I took you the easy way, where you wouldn’t have any problems.” The thought of that being the ‘easy way, ‘ just caused the other man to just shake his head.

Jason led them inside, where the Colonel remarked, “Well, it’s bigger and nicer than it appears from the outside.”

Jason replied, “Part of the interior is cut out of the cliff face behind the cabin. The outside is intended to look almost like a hunter’s cabin that’s not normally lived in. It’s comfortable, protected, and easy to maintain. What more could an old widower want?”

The Colonel replied, “Jason, you’ve made your point. At first I felt sorry you could end up like this, but now I have to admit I envy you. Let me go over a few more things with your nurse, and we’ll get out of your hair.” Fifteen minutes later Jason and Maria waved to the lifting helicopter, and returned to the cabin where White Dove was getting Hawk’s vitals. Jason sat in a comfortable swivel rocker, while Maria headed into the kitchen.

“Grandfather, I’m hungry. Do either of you want anything?” Both Jason and White Dove replied in the affirmative, so Maria started looking for what was available. Finding some stew she’d frozen weeks earlier, she started it defrosting in the microwave while she started some herbal tea brewing on the stove. She sat a cast iron skillet like she’d used at the Hogan on the stove to melt a small amount of shortening and proceeded to prepare the flat bread for the frying pan. Twenty minutes later they were gathered at the kitchen table to eat.

After a few bites White Dove complimented Maria on the meal, and then asked, “Now, will someone tell me what’s going on? It’s not a bad dye job, but that isn’t an Indian on the bed in there. Besides, I remember three years ago when Maria escaped from her abusive husband. Now everyone’s treating him like some kind of hero.”

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.