Shade of Grey
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2005 by Oldbie

A welcome change from all the disasters

The drizzle was down to a fine mist, the woman were busy cleaning, earlier someone had put out a section of sail cloth, to collect the rainwater, which was allowed to drain into a few of the empty barrels. Grey ran his finger along the deck railing to gather some of fine ash, and used it as a sympathy in a spell to attract the ash out of the collected rainwater. The woman used the now fresh water to wash clothes and after putting up one of the barbarian tents they had turns taking a sea bath; which involved using a couple of sponges, a bucket of soapy salt water and one of fresh. First they washed themselves using the sponge and soapy salt water. Then they rinsed using another sponge and fresh water. Others had gotten the brazier moved under some more sturdy covering and were slowing turning a spit stabbed through several cuts of meat.

"All this domestic activity looks most unreal, what with it taking place on a Barbarian Dragon Ship. Soon I expected to see throw rugs, curtains and lace doilies scattered about," Grey said to Marella with his number three roguish smile.

She laughed and said, "You are a terrible rogue Sabastion; they are responding to the uncertainty by going about doing the small things women do. Their domestic activity as you called it, gives them comfort and a small degree of peace, engaging in these common activities also gives them something to focus on, rather than brooding about their losses and dead loved one."

He nodded his understanding, and asked, "Who are they, where do they come from?"

"Some of them are the women of father's estate, some are the wives and children of those who directly served father when he was away. A few are the women of the officers who served under father," she said with a sad tone to her voice.

Hearing this forced his mind back to the battle, it was a short time and an eternity ago...


Flashback

Deep in the Ethereal Plane, Day Two of THE WAR

The Admiral had previously made a ship wide announcement that he had received a Psycast from Central Command that Valencia was under attack, and we were ordered to engage the enemy directing that attack. The INV Gryphon and her escorts were making there way through the Deep Ethereal to where our Seers knew the enemy Magicians, who were causing the 'Star Rocks' to fall from the Void, were based.

Grey was in the Officers Mess, enjoying a game of Daggers with the Second Officer, the Supply Officer, Flight Deck Officer, and the Admiral's cook; when he was summoned to the Command Deck, which was too bad as his hand had a good run of Shields and Tridents and the pot stood at 57 'Gold Crowns'. He nodded to Pandarion who was relaxing in a nearby chair reading a Legionnaire Field Manual; he nodded back indicating he was going to go take care of the business they had previously discussed.

Since the Admirals announcement, security had been stepped up a few levels so it took Grey some time to pass through the identity checks necessary to get to the Command Deck (CD). When he got to the final passage leading onto the CD he was stopped by a half squad of ship's marines, and once again stopped to have his identity check. This time the check included a Cleric of RADDOR, Lord of Battle and War, who cast a 'Divination' spell asking if Grey was indeed the True Sabastion Greylanus, Senior Tribune, serving as Imperial Liaison to Admiral Volunturus. When that was confirmed, Grey was handed off to a pair of Imperial Guard assigned to the Admiral, who escorted him down the passageway to the CD. Where he was once again checked over by Imperial Guards who then allowed him to enter the CD.

Amongst the crowd gathered around the Command Deck Combat Display, Grey spotted the Admiral and with him, were the Imperator and his senior military court, Grey's direct superior among them; which explained the absurd level of security. Grey came to something approaching attention and vaguely saluted as the code of conduct specified, the Imperator smiled, nodded and turned his thoughts back to the phantasmal combat projection on the display table in front of him. The Admiral returned his salute and nodded to Grey's commanding officer. The Commandant gathered him up with his eyes and directed him to an unused office. As the Commandant made his way astern to the office door he conferred with the Admiral for a moment, who just nodded his head before he too returned his attention to the combat display.

Moments later the Commandant of the Imperial Commandos joined Grey in the office, all sight and sounds from the Command Deck ceased as the door closed.

"It is good to see you again Sabastion, the Admiral has made the most glowing reports about you, he has even mentioned you to the Imperator on several occasions. Conversely you have made several powerful enemies at Fleet Central Command, but then they do not have the same access to the Imperator as does your friend the Admiral. Given that you do not really give a Scrat's furry ass what the Gold Cloaks back at FCC think, it is a good thing that the Imperator supported you. Frack, man, he actually laughed as they described your actions when they tried to bring charges against you."

"Yes Sir," he replied.

"That's it? 'Yes Sir', that's all you have to say?" questioned the Admiral.

"No Sir, but the rest would be in violation of the Codes of Conduct, Sir," Grey said in response, with a grin.

With a laugh the Admiral responded, "Better not go into it then, though the Imperator may have you go into some of the details when you meet with him. You have been reassigned to his personal service effective immediately, as his military attaché. Here are your dragons, you are to put them on now."

"Yes Sir," he replied as he took the two dragon insignia bars of a Senior Tribune and replaced the Phoenix bars on his collar tabs. "Goodbye 'fire chickens' and welcome to the 'leaping lizards'," he said as he completed the process.

Ignoring Grey's comment the Admiral said, "You are going to need a senior aide, you can have Pandarion. He is not going to be much use to me given his view of things so you might as well have him. There is a double squad of marines assigned to you, and the Admiral has transferred a flyer to your command too. Do you have any questions?"

"What in the name of all blackness is going on Heronidus, direct Imperial service, marines, a flyer, and what amounts to independent command?"

"You will be meeting with The Imperator shortly Sabastion, he wants there to be no doubt in your mind about your orders, so he will be giving them to you personally."

"And you would prefer that I don't question you about any of this, especially the legality of having someone in the Imperator's direct service commanding line troops or an imperial guard commanding a navel vessel?" I replied smiling at the absurdity of the situation.

"Let the Imperator explain Sabastion, then you can decide whether to accept or not," explained the Admiral.

"Very well," I replied with a smile, "You can tell the Imperator that I accept the assignment, and that I await his orders."


Interlude
Halls of Judgment

'If Heronidus wanted me to be sacrificed on the Altars of Hell, I would have plunged the obsidian blade into my own heart myself, knowing he had a good reason for giving me the order. He may not be able to tell me what was going on or the reasons for my reassignment, but I trusted the man, his honor and integrity. I knew then that he did not expect to survive the coming battle, the general feeling I had gotten in the command center was that none of them expected to survive, ' Grey wrote in the Scroll.

"Your are correct, they knew there was very little chance that they were going to survive, your mission was conceived as a Forlorn Hope at best, " stated the Lady Destiny.

Grey continued with his writing as if he had not heard her response.

'It was a hell of a thing to suddenly realize that the world I knew had come to an end. The main Battle Display, (a real time projection created by Illusions and Phantasmal spell effects), had shown the Valencian Capital defenses launching every offensive and defensive spell they had at a massive Star Rock that was going to hit there shortly. Several of the secondary screens showed several other impact sites, and the resulting geological chaos that resulted had already caused the island to start to break apart.'

"If it means anything to you, the Admiral choose you, because you had proved so capable in the preparations leading up to the war. It was entirely due to your efforts that the Admirals battle group was as prepared as it was. If not for your efforts, they would never been in a position to launch their attack, and the Batorn Wizards would have destroyed most of the world," stated Lady Destiny.

Grey barely nodded his head in response, as he continued writing.

'When the strike on the Capital did occur, the whole island was destroyed, along with most of the surrounding Main Land cities; those that remained were wiped out by Quakes and Tidal Waves.' Grey finished writing, then he put the quill down on its holder, and closed the ink font.

"Did you know, that it is difficult for me to write, while you are talking?" Asked Grey.

"I sorry, but it is important for you to realize that they sacrificed themselves, so that you and the rest could survive," replied The Lady Destiny.


Flashback

Deep in the Ethereal Plane, Day Two of THE WAR

Grey snapped to attention, and gave Heronidus Talonus Adanius, Lord, Commandant of Commandos, the first ever formal Salute his rank deserved. It was returned measure for measure; whereupon the Admiralperformed a parade ground 'about face' and left the office.

A short time later The Imperator entered the room, saying, "At ease," even before Grey could finish getting to his feet, so he finished standing up by coming to a parade rest.

"Relax Tribune, We would like this to be as informal as possible, sit down if you would, please," The Imperator said as he grabbed a chair, placed in front of the one Grey had been sitting in and sat down himself.

He sat down just after The Imperator did, this may be informal but there is still Imperial protocol, 'The Imperator Sits First'. The Imperator looked at Grey for a few moments, as if trying to decide how to broach the subject, then he just smiled.

"Tribune, both your friends and enemies recommended you. Your friends praised your abilities, and your enemies recounted the pain you have caused them. In both cases their words speak highly of you," said the Imperator.

"Yes, Your Highness."

"We do not have much time, so we will get right to the point. Your orders are to take your command, proceed immediately to the Nadtish colonies, secure the estate and household of Admiral Volunturus, and protect them from harm. You will protect them and their heirs to the end of your days. You will develop the necessary contingency plans for when you are no longer able to provide that protection yourself. I am giving you Proconsul powers to act in my name as necessary to carry out these orders," explained the Imperator.

"Sir, which one of those people is your heir? It will be impossible for me to protect and keep alive that many people, especially in the chaos that is to surely follow this war."

"Volunturus said you would jump onto the purpose behind these orders, and if we had more time we would have liked to discuss the mental process you underwent to arrive at your conclusion, but we don't. You have your orders; and I am relieved that you understand them so clearly."

Getting up, The Imperatorwent to the door, opened it, and was handed a small chest, a scroll with a military intelligence seal on it and the silver rod that proclaims Proconsul Powers, all of which he gave to Grey, who was now standing at parade rest. Grey took the items, and placed them on a nearby table, then he came to attention, and saluted The Imperator.

"Good luck Senior Tribune Sabastion Talanus Greylanus," said The Imperator as he accepted Grey's salute with a nod. Grey watched as The Imperator left the office, and continued to watch as a marine closed the door after him.

He followed the Imperator out of into the Command Deck, walked up to the Admiral, saluted him, glanced at the battle display, and saw an image of the world going to hell. As quickly as he could, Grey proceeded to the flyer-docking bay, and saw Pandarion standing by an armed Ethereal Flyer talking to a marine centurion. As Pandarion saw him, Grey ordered them to get on board and prepare to get underway. He had just reached the boarding ramp when the alert sounded indicating battle stations.

Grey had no sooner gotten onto the deck, when the ramp was retracted and the Griffin's deck crew launched the flyer out into the Ethereal. The navel rating at the helm brought up the flyer's wing sails and they continued to gain forward motion as the wing sails caught the current of the Essence Flows. Behind them the IES Griffin and its escorts were beginning their attack runs. Seven more flyers were launched by the Griffin, which then proceeded to fly ahead of the fleet to engage the enemy base, and attack its defenses. Just as the Griffin was completing its turn toward the rock that the base was built into, it was hit by a Plasma Strike right on its Command Deck, moments later three of the Griffin's own Plasma Projectors hit the rock in a blinding rainbow of light. First one, then the second, and quickly the third escort were destroyed by something out of nightmares; a Demon from beyond the Veils. It was then that SALMINAR the 'High Lord of Wisdom and Insight' emerged from a Divine Portal to engage the Veil Demon.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.