Battlesphere
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2005 by Volentrin

Admiral Sethton was in conference with the Commodore and Captains of the attack force. Everyone was gathered in Rising Dragon's main conference room. As with everything on the Battlesphere, it too was huge. Commodore Arthur Bridger was sitting to the admiral's right and Captain Paula Colter was at the admiral's left. The remaining captains were seated first come first serve along the two sides of the long conference table.

"So far long range scouts and two more stealth recon ships have confirmed HMS Whisper's records. We also have new information that a fleet, or at least a large group of ships are being assembled. We can only believe that it is the beginning of an invasion force. Several stealth satellites have been dropped in key alien systems, so we will have current up to date information once we download from them.

"The emperor wants these aliens dealt with firmly and quickly. This is the plan as given to me by the admiralty. We are several generations ahead of them in technology. However these beings take slaves, and use brute force to over power those whose tech base seems to be better than theirs. Ladies and gentleman, lets get to it." The admiral said.

Admiral Sethton activated the huge wall stereo tank. He quickly outlined the approach and attack lines. For over four hours the admiral briefed his force commanders on the operation. He fielded questions and had answers for most. Stewards brought lunch to the group. They ate as they worked.

Finally everything was done. All questions answered. As the commanders left to return to their ships, the admiral asked Captain Colter and the Commodore to remain for a moment.

"Paula. I am giving you a heads up on something. Your Executive Officer is being promoted to captain, and you will be getting a new Exec. named Mathew Braxton. Commander Braxton is on the short list for captain himself." Admiral Sethton said, watching Paula Colter closely.

Paula Colter frowned. "Isn't it kind of short notice? A new man being placed into the XO slot this close to combat, especially with a new type of ship is a bit unusual, isn't it sir? Everyone here has trained up on the new tactics that this ship employs." She finished

"I am sure he will do fine. Arthur? We are promoting Captain David Haskel to Senior Captain, and he will be commanding the ships that you detach to guard the supply ships. Paula's XO is going to replace Captain Haskel as commander of the cruiser HMS Wraith. Captain Haskel will remain aboard Wraith and use it as his flag ship for the detached force. Any questions?" Admiral Sethton said in such a way as to suggest no questions should be forthcoming. Unsurprisingly, there were none.

"Well, they say no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy, but we haven't even made contact yet." Chuckled the Commodore.

"I think I know this Commander Braxton. Didn't he take retirement at half pay a few years back? Also, isn't he the father of the marine that's been in the news so much recently?" Commodore Bridger asked.

"Yes and yes. The Feruthe apparently did us a favor by releasing their battle sensor record. Apparently it opened a whole can of worms. Imp. Sec. is still working on it, but it appears that Marine Lt. Braxton had stumbled onto a young Lord Everett's black marketing operation. General Corman, who was a Lt. Colonel back then, was firmly in the young lord's pocket. The emperor was not at all amused." Admiral Sethton finished grimly.

The shuttle docked in the huge shuttle bay of HMS Dragon Rising. Finally the radio squawked the all clear to disembark, and Commander Mathew Braxton was the first out. He went through the time honored tradition of saluting the flag and asking permission to come aboard.

Permission was granted and a guide escorted the commander through corridors. Shortly they came to a tram and sat on it. The guide punched in a destination, and they were off.

"We will be on the tram for only a couple minutes sir. It travels at 50 kilometers an hour. Once we reach our destination, we will transfer to the express elevator that will take us to the command deck. Ah, here we are sir, lets just transfer to the elevator across the corridor if you please." The Lt. Jg said.

They went into the elevator and the Lt. Jg once again punched in their destination. "Please be seated sir. This is an elevator that travels vertically and horizontally. Most elevators just travel vertically, but this is one of the few that can traverse both vertical and horizontal.

"Here we are sir. I will be handing you off to a marine for the rest of the trip. And may I be one of the first to welcome you to the, 'Dragon', sir." The Jg stated.

"Thank you Lt. I appreciate your services as guide. Hopefully I will be able to find my own way around soon." Grinned commander Braxton. The Lt. Jg grinned back and disappeared as the doors closed leaving commander Braxton turning to face a marine SFC.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.