Green Doom - Cover

Green Doom

Copyright© 2005 by Porlock

Chapter 16: Siege

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 16: Siege - A young Hill Man warrior, exiled from his mountain village, seeks adventure, finding danger and romance in the midst of a war between religious leaders and the king of his country. Apologies to H. P. Lovecraft for story elements adapted from his mythos.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   Science Fiction   Horror   Slow  

"No, Your Majesty. I'm sorry, but we simply haven't the troops to spare." The officer spoke bravely, but beads of sweat on his forehead and upper lip betrayed his fear at having to contradict his King. "We can't send men out to attack Sholim's army while it is on the move, no matter what you command. We must let them come to us, come to where we have the advantage of fighting from behind the protection of Talai's walls."

King Khamul paced angrily, his face etched by freshly cut lines caused by fatigue and lost sleep.

"All right, then," he snarled. "See that everything is in readiness for our defense by the time that they finally arrive."

The officer backed hastily away, going almost the length of the room before daring to turn his back. As he rushed off, he nearly trod underfoot three mud spattered travelers who were being escorted in by palace guards.

"Lord Hillen, to see His August Majesty," the herald announced. "He insists that he and his, ah, companions meet with you immediately."

"Let them come forward. My greetings to you, Hillen. I was beginning to worry that you might not return before the fighting started. What success did you have with the Hill men, you and the merchant, Chinzel?" His smile faded as he looked more closely at Hillen's other companion. "Don't I know this man?"

"He is the emissary from Orzad," Hillen answered, hesitantly. "I have given my word that he will be safe."

"And what is his... ? Why, it's the Hill man, Shantar. I had heard that he was dead." A bitter smile twisted Khamul's lips without reaching his eyes. "Now, come on through this door to my private study. You can give me your report on your talks with Orzad without having our words reach those who might misunderstand."

"Well, he greeted us courteously enough," Hillen began when they were closed within the tapestry hung room that Khamul used as an office. "He met with us in a camp back in the mountains, in a tent village that was guarded by a small army of his warriors. They showed us several very interesting demonstrations of their skill at archery and swordsmanship, and I had some surprisingly informative talks with Orzad on tactics. He answered all of my questions quite freely. At last, on the final day of our stay, he got down to fundamentals."

"Just what can we expect from this so called King of the Hill men?" Khamul asked when Hillen hesitated.

"He said that he is willing, even eager, to attack Sholim's army. The best time would be when it is fully committed to battle here, before Talai's walls, and cannot all turn to face him. The only thing is, his men will only follow him if they think that they will get something in return for their help. He told me quite frankly that he doesn't think much of our chances without his assistance."

"And just what rewards do he and his men want from us? A healthy share of the loot from Weilin and Sian, I would guess."

"Something much less than that, and, I am afraid, much more." He asks for very little in the way of loot. Half of the wealth of Kathool's temples, but nothing from the cities themselves," Hillen evaded. "He says that the Hill men are better off without too much wealth to disrupt their way of life."

"What does the man want, then? His own independent kingdom in the High Hills?"

"That was what I expected, too, Your Majesty. It is not. He asks that in return for the help from his men, both in battle and in the troubled times to follow, that a Royal Council be set up. Its members are to be selected from all parts of Kath, and from all walks of life, and it would exist for all time to temper the rule of its kings. He also calls for a simple code of laws, plainly written out, to apply equally to all men and women, of whatever station in life."

"And this mere trifle is all that he asks?" King Khamul rose to his full height, his normally quiet voice rising to an angry bellow. "I'll see him and all of his precious Hill men in Kathool's sunken green Hell, first! I've tried to be a just ruler, treating all who came before me alike, and this is my reward! One part of my kingdom revolts against me, and another part asks me to calmly step aside so that others may rule in my place! You, Shantar! What have you to say about this? Your tale of how Orzad couldn't gather an army of Hill men under his banner has been proven false. Now, let us hear your side of this tale. We shall then judge how truthful it is."

"With all due respect, Your Majesty," Shantar responded in what he hoped was a reasonable tone of voice. "My 'tale' was not all wrong. Orzad only leads the Hill men as long as they think that he can better their lot. Let them so much as suspect that he wants power for himself, and they would desert him, village by village. Yes, you have ruled Kath as fairly as you could, giving unfair advantage to none. This, after decades of misrule, is why your realm is in trouble. Your attempts to take back the powers that your ancestors gave away is what caused the priest to revolt. Yes, your rule is much better than that of earlier kings. It is so much better that your people would like to see something of it retained when you are no longer with us. Not even the best of kings lives forever. We would like a system where our children, perhaps even our grandchildren would have this same fair treatment."

"Deep thoughts from a simple Hill man," Khamul jibed, his control over his rage returning as quickly as it had slipped from him.

"I have had much time to reflect, these past months," Shantar answered, and Khamul glimpsed a wealth of pain and anger behind his stoic expression.

"It seems that once again I have underestimated you Hill men. So, my attempts to rule Kath fairly have only plunged it into a morass of war and destruction. I would that I had time to meet and talk with this Orzad. His plan is not one that should be adopted in haste, or it could turn out worse than what we now are threatened by. At least, in the past we have had a semblance of stability."

"You mean that you would actually consider this mad plan?" Hillen was deeply shaken by the thought. "But, you are the King!"

"Less than a year ago, I was King of all Kath," Khamul replied wryly. "Today, I rule only by the weight of my armies. My rule encompasses a narrow strip of fields, all within sight of Talai's walls. A ten day from now and Sholim may be king, or another chosen as his puppet. At least Orzad is different from most who would usurp my powers. He does not seek my throne for himself, or even for his sons. Chinzel! As one who is familiar with all walks of life in Talai, what is your opinion of Orzad's proposal? Yes, I have long known of your position on the council of the Thieves' Guild. I hereby give you leave to speak your thoughts freely, with no fear for consequences now or later."

"You flatter me greatly, Your Majesty," Chinzel answered smoothly. "Much would depend on how the code of laws is written. If you would give your people a set of laws that would stay the same from year to year, and bearable taxes that did not change as rapidly as the seasons, the merchants would be most pleased. The poor ask mostly to be left alone, to be protected from pillage and famine, and to be taxed only a reasonable amount. They care little who rules, as long as they have food, clothing, and a roof over their heads. There would then be no need for them to sell their own children to the slave traders. Few of them, however, have any liking or trust for the King's soldiers. For too many lifetimes, they have had to be wary of anyone wearing a uniform."

King Khamul paced restlessly, deep in thought. At last he swung to face them, his jaw stubbornly set.

"No! I shall not do it! If it comes to having Sholim as Priest King, or myself a puppet of a council of commoners, then let it be Sholim! But it will not come to that. My armies, safe behind the strong walls of Talai, will fight off Sholim's ragged hordes. Their army will soon run out of food, and then we shall triumph! There is no need for us to call upon Orzad's Hill men. After peace is restored, he will learn what it means to refuse his King! Now, leave me, but stay within call. I may wish to speak with you again."

They backed silently from the room. Alone, Khamul prowled restlessly, stopping from time to time to run his fingers over the maps that tapestried the walls, looking in vain for some way out of his predicament.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.