Smell of a Memory

by Tendal Braxis

Copyright© 2005 by Tendal Braxis

Fiction Story: Psychologists tell us that memory can be triggered by sensory input. I like many, accepted that fact without much thought. We can all recall times when some sight, sound, smell or taste would remind us of something from our past. Over a month ago it happened to me but unlike previous occurrences, a whole series of memories were triggered leaving me stunned, shaking, aching in my heart for what had once been but would never be again.

Tags: Ma/Fa   Romantic   First  

Psychologists tell us that memory can be triggered by sensory input. I like many, accepted that fact without much thought. We can all recall times when some sight, sound, smell or taste would remind us of something from our past. Over a month ago it happened to me but unlike previous occurrences, a whole series of memories were triggered leaving me stunned, shaking, aching in my heart for what had once been but would never be again.

It was late, about 1:30 AM; I was at work at my desk when an employee of the company where I was assigned as security officer walked by. I barely noticed her passing until after she was out the door and into the offices beyond. Then it hit me. My head jerked up, my eyes scanned the area. A sweet, buttery aroma floated through the air. What was that smell? I "knew" what it was but was unable at the moment to name it. My mind flashed back over the years, twenty, thirty forty years and more, back to a time of innocence when Kennedy was President, gas was cheap, and I was 10 years old.

I shrugged to bring my mind back to the present. That wonderful aroma was still faintly wafting through the air but fading fast. I rose from my desk and followed my nose. I knew that what ever it was, its source had to be with the woman who'd walked by my desk. I passed through the door to the next office following the scent. A labyrinth of cubicles was before me. I put my faith in my nose and started into the maze. After several minutes and more than a couple of wrong turns that had forced me to back up and retrace my route, I found myself looking at the back of a woman of middle age. Graying hair cut in a pageboy style, a sweater around her shoulders and there on her desk the source of the aroma. It was a bag of microwave Carmel corn. I hadn't known that any company was making it and its' intense smell retriggered a flood of memories zeroing in on the ones associated with Carmel corn. I must have really spaced out and I think my eyes may have gotten glassy as my mind roamed the past when I was suddenly jerked back to the present by the woman's voice.

"Officer, are you okay? Is there something I can do for you?"

I apologized profusely to her for intruding, explaining that the smell of her snack had triggered some intensely powerful memories that frankly were making it difficult to keep my mind on the present. I took a moment to look at her as I explained. Deep cobalt blue eyes in a gently aged face that was still attractive, a dimple in her chin and a warm smile gave me the impression of gentle grace and a life filled with happiness.

"Funny you should say that Officer..."

"Burney" I said to fill the obvious opening.

"Burney. I had the same thing happen to me when a friend made a bag last week. I'll always associated the smell of caramel corn with my first date."

 
There is more of this story...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.