Spirit's Soldiers - Cover

Spirit's Soldiers

Copyright© 2004 by FeyRen

Chapter 5

Edward sat alone in his quarters. He was always alone when in his quarters, and had been for longer than he cared to remember. The room was uninteresting, vaguely reminiscent of an earthy monk's cell. I consisted of nothing more than a small bed and a small bedside table with a lamp. An altar stood in the corner. Edward sat upon the bed holding a portrait in an ornate, gold frame. The portrait showed a beautiful young woman. Behind the woman were the discernable soft, white humps of the feathery wings that had, in life, adorned the woman's back.

The young warrior sighed with sorrow. So beautiful she had been, with her long blonde hair and luminous green eyes that could dance with laughter or burn with anger depending on her mood. Tears streamed down Edward's cheeks as he remembered the only woman he had ever loved. Nothing in the world could ever replace what he had lost, and nothing would ever come close. A knock sounded upon the door to Edward's chamber. He hurriedly wiped at his face before replying.

"Come in."

The door opened and Melissa entered. "Commander," she began, but Edward cut her off.

"We're not on duty, Melissa, you may call me Edward."

"Yes... Edward. I wanted to ask you some questions about today. I would like your opinion of what we did.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, was what we did worth the price?"

"Of course it was! Anytime we defeat a stronghold of the Enemy it is worth the price, especially when the souls of children are at stake." The Enemy is could and uncaring, he must be destroyed, no matter what the price."

"But we didn't defeat them! Our comrades died so that we could but three of our saints in harms way, three of our children are now inside that pit of pain and despair. Where is the logic in that?"

"The Lord wanted them there. Their presence in that place at this time is crucial to one of the Lord's plans. I am only guessing, but I believe that we will see something good come of this. It may take years to bear fruit, but I think that these three children will be a catalyst for something that will have far reaching effects on this world, but again, I'm only guessing."

"I understand, thank you, Edward." As Melissa was turning to go, however, she noticed the portrait in Edward's hands. "What's that, Edward?"

"Hmm? Oh... it's a picture of someone... someone I used to know, a long time ago." He replied, looking down as tears welled in his eyes. "She died a long time ago... during the war."

"I'm so sorry, is there anything I can do?" asked Melissa, with a note of compassion in her voice.

"No, not really."

"Would you like me to go?"

"Please." He said, blinking back the tears that threatened to pour forth.

"Ok." Melissa's face fell as she turned and left. After she was gone, Edward turned his back to the door and studied the picture again. The tears fell freely now that he was alone.

"Clarissa!" he sobbed, "Can you ever forgive me for being so stupid?" His sobs racked the night for a while, then, finally, his tears transported him to the land of dreams.

The tears he cried alone did not go unheard, however. As he drifted off to sleep, a lone figure separated itself from the shadows under Edward's window. Melissa brushed herself off, tears of compassion streaking down a face racked with misery. That poor soul! She thought, I wonder what the source is for that pain he has? It seems that not even the glory of the Lord has been able to purge him of it.

Still crying, Melissa crept off into the darkness, she had to hurry and finish some work before she slept, and she would need her sleep, because she had just made a decision. Tomorrow she would have plenty of time for digging into the past. Somehow, she knew that what she found would not be pretty.


Dominus opened that doors and stepped through them into a small, circular room. Lit only by a ring of four torches hanging from brackets against the walls, the room seemed to dance in the flickering firelight. A lone figure stood in the center of the room.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.