Thunder and Lightening - Cover

Thunder and Lightening

Copyright© 2004 by Lazlo Zalezac

Chapter 42

“What?” asked Jerry in shock.

“There’s some guy out there who claims that he and Jenny are married,” answered Abe.

The news staggered Jerry just as surely as if he had been hit in the stomach with a baseball bat. His mind raced as he tried to remember if there was ever a time when Jenny might have hinted at being married before. He reached for support and found Henry beside him keeping him from falling to the ground. Feeling his knees weaken, he asked, “How can that be?”

Grinning broadly, Abe made a gesture like he was shooting a gun and said, “Gotcha!”

As Abe slipped out the door, Jerry bellowed, “Abe, I’m gonna skin you alive!”

Henry stared at the closed door in shock unable to believe that Abe would do something like that on such an important occasion. It had been delivered in such a believable fashion. Shaking his head, he growled, “I’ll be right back. I’m going to kill that boy.”

After a half minute delay, Jerry started laughing when he realized that the young man had been joking. Barely able to control his laughter, he shook his head and said, “Don’t. He’s just getting me back for his birthday.”

“Oh, yeah. He did promise to get you back,” said Henry with a chuckle. There were times when it was a pleasure watching the interaction between Abe and Jerry. It was usually fun and confusing at the same time.

“You’ve got to admit, it was a good one,” said Jerry wondering how Abe had thought up the joke.

Without a knock, the door opened. A very irritated Sharon stuck her head into the room and asked, “What in the hell did that boy of mine do now?”

Still laughing, Jerry said, “Oh, he came in here and said that some guy was outside saying that he and Jenny were married.”

Shaking her head, she realized what Abe had done. She should have expected it, since the boy had been too cheerful all morning. With a half-grin, she said, “That boy’s got the devil in him.”

“By the way, how did you know he had done something?” asked Jerry still chuckling.

“Everyone heard you yelling at him,” answered Sharon shaking her head. It was hard to believe that his low pitched growling voice could carry that far. They had heard it through two closed doors.

Henry leaned forward and gave her an affectionate kiss on the cheek. He said, “You might want to tell your sister to keep an eye on him during the ceremony.”

“You bet,” said Sharon as she left.

The Reverend arrived and asked, “What’s the problem?”

Henry explained what Abe had done. The Reverend, normally a rather reserved man, shook his head at the antics that had gone on so far in this wedding. The comments and jokes during the rehearsal had been bad enough. Practical jokes this close to the start of ceremony were almost over the line. He’d had a lot of grooms who would have passed out upon hearing something like that or gone into a murderous rage. Judging by Jerry’s reaction the Reverend decided that the big guy was a lot more forgiving than most and reserved his judgment. Instead, he asked, “Any chance that he’ll do something similar during the ceremony?”

Jerry looked over at Henry. The two big men exchanged huge grins since they both knew the answer was a definite yes. Jerry was too busy chuckling to answer so Henry said, “You bet.”

“I’d be surprised if he didn’t stand up with some objection to the marriage. Oh, it’ll be a funny one and keep people laughing through the rest of the ceremony,” commented Jerry chuckling at the kinds of things he could imagine Abe saying.

“Like what?” asked the Reverend surprised by the easy way the man was discussing what others would consider an act that would ruin their wedding. He hoped the bride was just as understanding.

Trying to imitate the kind of pose that Abe would adopt, Jerry said, “This ain’t no Walt Disney movie. There’s no way that the beauty should marry the beast.”

“Nah, he’ll claim that it was up to him, the dashing hero, to rescue Beauty from the Beast,” countered Henry.

“It would have to be even better than that. He’s probably been planning this since his birthday,” said Jerry shaking his head.

“Yeah. He’d probably declare her Little Red from the Riding Hood and you the evil wolf,” said Henry with a chuckle.

The Reverend frowned at the idea of the potential catastrophe and then asked, “What’s the name of this young man?”

“Abraham Lincoln Spencer,” answered Henry giving Abe’s full name.

The Reverend glanced at his watch and said, “It’s about time to start. Why don’t you two get in position while I talk with the bride?”

The Reverend was surprised to hear the Bride and the Bridesmaid discussing what remarks Abe was likely to make during the ceremony. He was shocked at how much alike their comments were to those made by the Groom and Best Man. After seeing that they were ready, he led them to the place they were to wait.

Stepping in front of his friends, co-workers, and family, Jerry stopped to look at the crowd of people in the church. Seated beside his parents, Melissa and Bill were in the front row smiling at him. Bill gave him a thumbs-up sign to let him know that he was happy about the wedding. Melissa smiled and dabbed at the tears in her eyes. His mother looked happy and his father merely nodded in his direction. He didn’t know how to interpret the nod.

Abe, Martin, Cathy and George were sitting right behind Jerry’s family. Abe started to make a gesture like he was shooting Jerry, but his aunt hit him on the shoulder. He turned to look at her, forgetting for the moment all about Jerry. Jerry winked at George.

All of the people from the store were sitting behind them, including Al Sinclair and his wife. On the other side of the room were people that Jerry didn’t know that well. The cook, the two waitresses, and the dishwasher from the Crimson Rose took up the back. A few of Jenny’s friends who he had not yet met were seated behind her mother.

Sherry was seated near the aisle with a space for her husband. Jerry nodded to her even as Henry whispered to him, “You’re not quite there yet. Just a few more steps to go. Do I need to carry you or something?”

Just about everyone in the chapel heard him. This provided a titter of laughter through the first few rows. Bill turned to Melissa and said, “Dad looks to be in a little better shape than Henry was when he was getting married.”

“Yeah, he’s standing on his own,” agreed Melissa with a wink.

Forgetting where he was for the moment, Henry replied, “Hey, I was a little nervous.”

The words coming from the huge man surprised a lot of people. Jerry moved over to where he was supposed to stand. Realizing that Jerry had moved, Henry rushed to get into place. Once there, he whispered, “Sorry. I guess I’m not very good at all of this wedding stuff.”

“The only one that gets much practice at this wedding stuff is the Reverend,” commented Jerry. His words brought a smile to Jenny’s mother.

In his deep voice, Henry said, “Amen to that, brother.”

Surprising them, from his position at the front of the room, the Reverend said, “Yes. Amen to that.”

The music suddenly changed and an expectant hush fell over the room. When his eyes turned to the back of the room, Jenny stepped into view. Jerry didn’t notice anything else in the room. She was resplendent in her white gown. The veil covered her face, but it wasn’t enough to hide her beauty. Jerry would swear that she glowed with an inner beauty while walking down the aisle holding onto her father’s arm. Barely able to breathe, Jerry said, “She’s so beautiful.”

When she reached the front of the room, her father stepped to the side. For a moment, there were three very large men standing at the front of the room. As he moved to his seat, Tom paused and looked over at the other two men. Despite having met them the previous night, it was difficult for him to believe just how big they were. Standing side by side, they took up as much room as four or five men would have taken.

Jerry turned and gazed into Jenny’s eyes. The veil softened her eyes. She gazed back, loving him and letting him see her love for him shining forth. Lost in love, they didn’t hear much of what the Reverend had to say as he talked about the sanctity of marriage. Jerry knew that he was the luckiest man in the world to have found anyone capable of loving with the unselfishness of Jenny. Jenny was amazed that she had found such a good caring man. He was a gentle giant who could admit hurt and yet protected those around him with all of his strength.

Jerry was unaware of the passage of time. It seemed as if seconds had passed since she entered the room, but it was already time for them to exchange vows. A wave of light laughter rose in the room when the Reverend announced, “If anyone, except Abraham Lincoln Spencer, has just cause as to why these two should not wed, speak now or forever hold your peace. Abraham Lincoln Spencer can just hold his peace.”

The young black man had the grace to blush although a retort about holding his peace filtered through his mind. It was too nasty, and his mother would have killed him if he had said it. The roar of Henry’s laughter filled the room. Sharon, standing in the traditional spot for the maid of honor, looked over at Abe and shook her head laughing at the look of innocence that her son was trying to project. Even Jenny giggled at the pronouncement.

Even during the interruption, Jerry only had eyes for Jenny. Forgetting for the moment that he was in the middle of the marriage ceremony, he whispered, “I love you so much, Jenny. My heart feels too large for my chest.”

Jenny, knowing exactly how he felt, smiled at her beloved man and replied, “I love you.”

The Reverend gave them a moment and then continued with the exchange of vows. Jerry managed to echo the vows without error and say the ‘I do’s’ at all the right times. Before he knew it, the ceremony was over and he was lifting the veil to kiss her. Her beauty struck him again. With trembling hands, he held her to him and kissed her. The Reverend proclaimed, “I now present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Jerald Smith.”

The kiss was not a simple peck on the lips, but a passionate expression of his love. It lasted a long time. Abe started to suggest that they get a hotel room, but a swat against the back of his head stopped him. He glared at his aunt for a half second until he caught the look on her face.

After the kiss, a breathless and stunned Jerry said, “It’s time to head down the aisle.”

“Carry me,” she whispered with a twinkle in her eye. She glanced at her mother and saw her mother give her a wink in return.

Grinning at the suggestion, Jerry picked up his new wife. Cradling her in his arms, he strode down the aisle feeling a thousand feet tall. She screamed with joy and wiggled her legs as he carried her away. Throwing her head back, she yelled, “Eat your hearts out ladies, I got me a big man!”

The Reverend stood there with a wry grin on his face. He turned to Henry and said, “I’ve seen far more solemn ceremonies.”

“But I bet you’ve never seen a couple who love each other that much,” countered the big man. His eyes showed signs of misting.

Sharon came over to him and said, “I think we were supposed to follow them out.”

“What is it that butlers always say to guests?”

Puzzled, Sharon thought about it for a moment before she answered, “Walk this way?”

“Yeah. I think that’s what Jerry said as he walked off,” said Henry. Grinning, he bent down and picked her up. Henry carried her down the aisle with the same ease as Jerry had carried Jenny. Her first reaction was to resist, but his grin was infectious. She smiled and said, “I’ve got me a big man, too.”

Tom turned to Sherry and said, “I guess I’m supposed to carry you out, too.”

“No. I’m supposed to be a dignified old broad,” replied Sherry. She extended a pinky and rubbed the corner of her mouth with it in a parody of class.

Tom laughed and retorted, “Wrong on all three counts. You aren’t dignified, old, or a broad. You’re my sexy Sherry mouse.”

“Well Tom Cat, in that case...”

Tom stood up and lifted his wife with an ease that suggested he was a much younger man. He carried her down the aisle while she giggled like a schoolgirl. As he passed Cathy and George, George said, “Ain’t no way I’m carrying you out of here. I’d break my back.”

A roar of laughter provoked by George’s comment filled the room even as Jenny’s parents exited. The Reverend stood at the front of the room shaking his head in wonder. After the previous night, he’d been half convinced that the ceremony would end with Jerry carrying her out. He hadn’t expected the Best Man to carry out the Maid of Honor or the Bride’s parents to follow suit. Still, the ease with which all three men had picked up and carried their wives out of the room was impressive. He had to admit that, even if it wasn’t dignified.

In the alcove where they were supposed to wait, Jerry continued to cradle Jenny in his arms while kissing her. She had her arms wrapped around his neck, reveling in the attention that he was giving her. His strength took her breath away. Henry had set Sharon on the ground and was passionately kissing her. All three of the women enjoyed how the ceremony had ended.

Walking side by side and holding hands, Jerry and Jenny were the last to enter the hall they had rented for the reception. Their arrival was greeted with applause and comments about the groom carrying off the bride. Jerry blushed at the attention, but Jenny glowed with happiness. This was her special day and she was enjoying every bit of attention given to her. Jerry was pleased to see her so happy.

Individuals wishing them well quickly separated them. Jerry reached out to keep her hand, but others intervened in their excitement. He was led from handshake to handshake greeting the guests and accepting congratulations. It wasn’t long before Jerry found himself facing his father. Still uncomfortable in the presence of his father, Jerry said, “Hello, Dad.”

“I had a long talk with your children last night,” said Carl. The conversation with Bill had given him a lot to think about last night. It was staggering to learn how wrong he had been about his son. He’d sat up half the night thinking about the past and his treatment of his son.

“Oh, they’re really good kids. I’m very proud of them,” replied Jerry with real pride in his voice when he spoke about the kids. He stood there nervously, not knowing what to expect from his father.

“It seems that I’ve been sadly mistaken about you,” said the elder Smith. Listening to Bill describe what school had been like before Jerry had taken an active role reminded him of the calls that he used to receive about Jerry. The idea that smaller people would pick on a big person to establish a reputation was a major revelation for him. Bill’s story had recast Jerry’s entire teenage years in a new light. He felt guilty that he had not listened to his son.

“Oh, I don’t know. I wasn’t exactly a model child,” said Jerry with a shrug trying to hide hurts that he didn’t want to explore on that day.

“I really thought you had turned mean.”

“I did. I did become mean,” replied Jerry with a sigh. It had taken some time, but junior high was when rage had been born. With each insult and fight, the rage had grown and burrowed ever deeper into his gut. By the time he had reached high school, it was impossible to get rid of rage. Feeling his stomach, he knew that it had taken a bullet to kill it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.