Interstellar Defense League
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2004 by ImmodicusFuror

Two Ghalerans walked down a sidewalk, heading towards a massive structure in the center of the Ghalera's primary city. The structure was the headquarters for the so-called Interstellar Defense League, a cover for a group of conquerors. Inside the headquarters was a prototype singularity generator, developed using stolen technology.

"So what precisely do we do when we find that generator?" one of the 'Ghalerans' asked to the other mentally.

"We initiate a micro-singularity and destroy this entire city," the male Ghaleran 'whispered' telepathically. "And before you say anything, I know it will kill millions, including a great many civilians. But do you see the Interstellar Defense League continuing its assault with their capitol in ruins, their leadership slaughtered? They were willing to kill off the entire population of the Earth if you remem-"

"Did you hear me arguing?" the female Ghaleran responded. "I know it has to be done, Preliator. But can we do it?"

Preliator gave an awkward smile... everything he did felt awkward while has was transformed to look like a Ghaleran. "If we could survive the explosion I created by detonating those singularities, we can sure as hell finish this mission."

They were soon at the rear security checkpoint to the headquarters facility, and then through it; with one scan of Preliator's body, they confirmed his false identification as a Warrior. After all, no one besides trusted Warriors possessed Omni-energy, right?

"That almost seemed too easy," Preliator muttered as he switched into a human form outside the entrance to the singularity lab. "I would think there would be a lot more security in a facility such as this."

Auctorita concentrated for a few moments, telepathically probing the cavern of a room contained behind the access doors they stood in front of. She shifted into a human form as well, sighing as she did so.

"Preliator," she moaned, "there are four Warriors in there. No wonder they weren't concerned about security; that room features adequate protection against even a battle-hardened invasion force."

Preliator leaned against a wall. "I can probably comfortably beat one Warrior, maybe two. Four? That is most definitely pushing it. Still, I have to try. Auctorita, you're going to have to stay here."

"But-"

"No buts," Preliator said loudly, cutting her off. "I know you're a capable fighter, but we both know you wouldn't last very long against those Warriors. This is my battle, and if you get involved I might not be able to fight to my maximum capability for fear of injuring you. If you want to help me, go to another part of this facility and attack some security forces at random; keep them from sending all of their forces to this area. At least that way I'll stand half a chance at pulling this off. Hey, who knows... maybe later today we'll be together on the Pride of the Alliance, toasting to the end of the war."

Auctorita silently nodded and wiped a tear from the side of one of her eyes, then took off to provide a distraction. Neither one of them tried to say goodbye, because neither one of them was ready for goodbye.

"Here goes the most stupid stunt in the history of history," Preliator muttered, right before he launched himself into the singularity generator room, fully powered up and ready to fight.

He found himself standing on a massive catwalk hanging roughly ten stories over a large singularity generator, the walls and the ceilings forming massive blades- heat sinks to dissipate the tremendous amount of superheated air created by the singularity generator. Four Ghaleran Warriors stood on four platforms arranged in a diamond pattern around the catwalk, the aliens crouched low on their tri-pod bases. They had apparently been expecting him.

"Crap," Preliator muttered as four concentrated energy bursts closed on him from four angles. He could sense the additional four blasts already leaving the Warriors, headed for the area just above him. They were trying to make sure he had absolutely no way to run.

Preliator converted himself to his energy form and pressed himself against the catwalk, the energy bursts colliding above him and exploding with multiple cascading waves of energy. He slipped as quickly as possible underneath the catwalk, using the thick metal to shield himself from the bulk of the explosion.

"My turn," he whispered as he re-solidified, standing on the bottom of the catwalk. He concentrated for a moment and sent a surge of energy at the bottom of one of the platforms one of the Warriors stood on. The energy consumed the Warrior completely, liquefying his skin and charring his bones.

Preliator kicked off the bottom of the platform, launching himself down towards the singularity generator. He flipped in mid-air, landing on his feet in front of the control console for the generator.

"Auctorita," he thought towards her, hoping he would reach her through all of the telepathic shielding likely to be present in the facility, "now would be a great time for you to get the hell out of here. With any luck, I'll be right behind you."

The three Warriors smashed into the metal flooring behind Preliator, the three of them overlapping their energy to form a powerful protective field over them.

Preliator ignored them as he rapidly typed in override commands to initiate the release of a small singularity. The Ghalerans had been foolish enough to copy the control interface they had stolen from the Acer One, and thus the system proved to be quite easy for Preliator to manipulate.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.