Dragon Clan - Cover

Dragon Clan

Copyright© 2003 by Heathen57

Chapter 13

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 13 - The adventures of a halfelven as he tries to survive in a land where all of the kindred are to be killed. First chapter of a longer story.

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Consensual   Romantic   Magic   Heterosexual   Fiction   First   Violence  

Aldren awoke just after the sun had started down the west wall of the canyon. Ameni was getting dressed quietly in order to let him sleep. He rose up on his elbow and greeted her. She came to the bed and gave him a kiss, telling him to take his time getting up. He considered doing so until he felt hunger pains in his belly triggered by the smell of breakfast being cooked. When he arose, he felt a difference in his body. A feeling that his limbs were lighter yet stronger than they had been. He should still be feeling the lack of rest considering the little amount of sleep he had gotten; yet he was strangely refreshed. He went out to greet the others and to fill the hole in his belly.

The group decided to leave right after the morning meal. After the visit from the dragon, they all felt the need to be getting back to the tower and mobilizing the troops that were there.

The journey back to the tower was uneventful except for the sense of urgency that colored their mood. They pushed on and made it to the gates of the tower late on the second night. The sentries were surprised but rapidly let them in. Aldren left orders for the captains to meet with him in a few hours and that one of them needed to wake him up before that. Then the weary travelers headed for their chambers.

The guard woke Aldren shortly after sunrise. He quietly left Ameni sleeping and after washing up, dressed and headed to awaken Mirgan. Aldren then went to grab a bite to eat before meeting the other captains. On his way to the hall, he asked that Temos attend the meeting as well.

The captains were apprised of the happenings. The coming battle had been expected among them, but they had figured that there would be just a series of small fights like those that had been happening for the past cycle or so. They became very concerned by the information that Temos relayed. He told of massive numbers of wild men that were being brought up from the forests and swamps. These people were not as advanced as most humans but were vicious in a battle and had no thought other than to kill as many as possible before they were killed themselves.

They also heard how Ralahur had, through the King, brought together all of the barons and Lords with promises of giving them the riches of the North. This was bad since the arguments and feuds among these minor rulers had always kept the king's forces smaller than was possible.

The tales of what Ralahur was doing magically was the most troubling. Having seen the power of the magics that Aldren and to a lesser extent Kal-angurr had practiced, they could envision just what would come. Aldren assured them that he would do his best to take care of that threat.

Plans were then set to mobilize the remainder of the fighters that were here in the Tower. These troops were the best trained, and would be in the worst part of the fighting. It was decided to have those not able to handle the ride were to remain and protect the Tower.

The captain who had taken charge of the training of the women asked if they were to be included in the troop movement. A few of the other captains chuckled at this man since they still thought that women training for fighting was just an amusing diversion to keep them happy.

Augustine, the one who had spoken up told Aldren that the women had worked hard and were just as ready as any troop here. He would stack them up against the others at any time.

Horrand laughed at such a thought. "Any of those women would cry and run away the first time they were confronted. It would be a disaster if one was actually hit."

Mirgan stood to shout an objection, but before he could open his mouth, Ameni push open the doors and strode into the hall. She was dressed in the full battle gear of the elves and made an impressive figure striding to where the captains were seated.

"Captain Horrand! I supervised the training of those women. Even though their weapons are lighter, they are every bit as deadly. Even in hand to hand they will surprise you."

"Lady Ameni. I do not call your teachings into question. But in hand to hand without weapons? It is impossible for a woman to best a man. Just look at the size and strength."

"Would you care to test that Horrand?"

"Not against you, my Lady."

"How about another. Just a young slip of a girl compared to you. Mirgan, would you be so kind as to have Kiran join us?"

Mirgan headed toward where he knew Kiran was at this time of the day and soon was back with her in tow.

Aldren rose and bowed to her. "Kiran, the captains are of the thought that the women here cannot take care of themselves. Would you be willing to give them a demonstration?"

"Of course, My Lord. Who wishes to be put on their knees first?"

Horrand walked over to Kiran. He was a full head taller and double the weight of the girl. He put his hand on her shoulder and said, "I promise not to hurt you badly, little girl."

Before he could finish the last word, Kiran had placed her hand over his and moved back, twisting, just as Ameni had taught her. Horrand yelped in pain as he did indeed go to his knees. Kiran calmly stepped back and faced Aldren.

"Anything else my Lord?"

"I don't think so. You proved your point. Wouldn't you say so, Horrand?"

Horrand was still massaging the feeling back into his hand. He nodded his head slowly as he watched Kiran with a new sense of respect.

"Then by your leave, my Lord, Lady." She bowed to both of them and walked quietly out of the room.

"I believe the question of the women coming along has been answered. They will not be in the main battle unless they request to be so, but they will make an excellent rear guard. It will also be voluntary as to if they come along. Is there anything else we need to discuss?"

He received negative replies from all, and dismissed the council with the reminder that they would be leaving within a sevendays time. One man, he held back to have him find a small force that could ride to Dragon Hold and keep it from thieves and wild animals. With that done, he and Ameni went out into the gardens.

The next several days saw a huge increase in activity as the entire population prepared for the call to arms from which many would not be coming back. The night before they were to ride out, every horse was shod, every piece of armor was checked and every weapon was sharpened to a deadly edge. The captains gave final instructions to the troops and checked every man.

It was long after the last of the ale had been drank and the last cheer had been shouted, that Aldren sought out Kal-angurr. He gave the ancient one a bow as he entered the cluttered chambers near the top of the tower.

"Old One, I once again ask that you take control of the Tower in my stead. You understand more than any other what is at stake and the slim chance we have of success. If all does go ill, you may have a chance to escape the darkness. I beg you to take it, for there may be a chance of another some time from now that will succeed where I failed."

Kal-angurr slowly shook his head. "Dragon-kin, there will be no other. Legend says that you are the last that can possibly succeed against a foe this powerful. Remember what Balroth had to show you. I cannot see what is approaching, but I feel our fate will hang on a knife-edge. But know this. All the free people are fighting because you gave them the chance to be free. It is their decision to fight and maybe die to maintain that freedom. You go with the blessings of the ancients and all who were your heritage."

The clasped arms in what might be their final show of friendship. Aldren returned to his and Ameni's chambers to prepare for the dawn.

The movement was massive with a column of soldiers stretching back for many leagues. With the ranks swelled to past twenty thousand, they could not make the distance that they wished for each day. To push harder would leave no energy in man or beast to fight, but Aldren chafed under the delay.

The moon had waned when they finally made it back to the main encampment. Scouts had ridden ahead and Vabryn and the other leaders of the various races greeted them. Aldren dismounted and went immediately into the tent to catch up on what had happened since they had left. The others followed after they had settled the horses.

Spread out before them on several tables were maps of the areas on both sides of the great river. Vabryn started the briefing. "We have built fortifications along all the areas that would be possible for them to cross. However, most of the work has been to rebuild the old fortress. The people of this area had maintained the buildings as best they could and used it as a refuge in times of trouble. The dwarves were instrumental in reinforcing the walls and other fortifications. After you had departed, I took it upon myself to get the final work done. We have moved all the supplies and we can occupy as soon as you are ready."

"You did right in preparing a place for us to be. I will expect to start for there tomorrow if that can be accomplished. Let those we brought with us rest a day or so before they follow. Now what have you found out about the enemy's movements across the river?"

"Our scouts report that they have been building floating bridges near the banks. In addition, siege engines and catapults have been spotted among the trees. At night, the fires of the troops can be seen dotting the land for as far as you can see. We have kept back from the banks to keep the number of our forces from being detected. There have been some minor clashes where the king's troops have tested crossing at the fords, but nothing major as of yet. I am sure that what the priest told us is still the plan."

I think you are correct on that assumption. They will try and push against us in force to destroy as many as possible, then set up a siege at the fortress. That is what they would have done in previous wars. One thing that constant is their strategy. What we have to do is to use this to our advantage as much as possible."

Valelael came in then. He told Aldren of what the elves had been able to accomplish. With the help of the old healer Belwin and her apprentice Isowan, they were able to help the elves to bring back much of the magic that they had ignored. Being native to the kindred, it was almost second nature to them all once they had shed their fear of it. The animals that were associated with the different clans had remembered the bond and had come to their aid on several occasions. They were once again feeling the pride of their blood.

Since time was coming closer for the kindred to once again become strong, they had been training hard. Their skills were at their peak and they would be ready to do battle. The clans that had been trapped in the South had made their way to Isray and formed alliances with him and were ready to do what they could.

Valelael looked sad at this point. "It is indeed sad that the kindred have finally found pride and power of their heritage so close to the end of their time here."

Aldren placed his hands on the tall elf's shoulders. "My brother, it is good that they found that pride at any time. Whatever that brought about that change is not important. The kindred are taking their rightful place once again among the free peoples. And that pride may be what will turn defeat into victory. I am proud to be counted among the kindred of my mother."

The moment was broken by the sounds calling for the evening meal to be served. The leaders moved to the tents that had been set up for them and set about devouring the roasted meats and breads. It was during this time that a rather ragged-looking young man was led into the tents with the mission to speak to the Lord of the Tower.

Aldren looked up and was overjoyed to see Peryn kneeling at the table. The young man had appeared to be lost, and presumed dead. Yet here he was, looking worse for wear, but at least alive. Aldren left the table shouting for someone to find Isowan and bring her to his tents.

When Isowan came in, she found the young man sitting up in the bed, looking very pale and tired. She checked him over as best she could, noting there were many bite marks and scratches along with the wound in his back that had been reopened during his wild flight from capture. He had gone without rest and had eaten only what he could catch as he moved. She prepared a draught to make him sleep, but he begged off until he could tell Aldren what he had found on his mission. She relented only with the promise that details could be talked about later.

When Peryn started to object, Aldren overrode his complaints with a vow to the elf healer that he would not take much time. Isowan turned and left to prepare a place for him in the healer's area. As soon as they were alone, Peryn started his report.

"Lord, I did as you asked and received the reply we were looking for. The conditions were met and all was in place when I left them. As I made my way back, I also found out a few tidbits from the outlying troops I encountered. Seems they would talk to a priest that happened by. One thing we must watch for will be trolls that they captured from the southern hills. They are not numerous, but the king's men tortured them into compliance. They will be a force to watch for. Each one will equal a whole troop."

As Peryn was telling his tale, Aldren could see him losing strength. He had heard enough of what he needed to and told the young warrior that was enough for now. Then he called Isowan to enter and care for the young man. Two strong men waited for Peryn to fall into a drug induced slumber, then they carried him to the healer's tent so she could tend him with ease.

In the early darkness, Aldren moved to the edge of the camp in order to think about what he had just learned. Peryn had found the Prince that was controlling the desert to the east in the southern kingdom, and had secured an alliance with him. It was understood that he would be left alone in his rule of the areas he controlled now and that if it was needed, the North Kingdom would come to his aid. There was to be free trading and crossing over the borders for his people as well as the free people.

In exchange, he would push attacks on the king's men to keep them distracted from the east. Aldren knew from reports that Isray was aggressive against the constraints that the king and the priests were trying press him with, and he had been accepting refugees from the kindred fleeing massacre. He respected the elves as he did the other races, and those that had dealings with him found him a fair ruler.

The good news of this alliance was welcome, for it meant that he could worry a bit less with an extra six thousand or so troops pushing in from the east. But this was a balance against the news of the trolls. What Peryn had said about them was not far from the truth. They never made contact with the outside world, preferring to remain in the hills of the southern most part of the kingdom. The few sightings that had been reported made them out to be roughly twice the height of a man and weighing several times as much. They seemed to be slow witted, not paying attention to who or what was around them.

Aldren had heard of only one attack on humans by a troll told to him by his father when he was a lad. Some hunters had roped what was probably one of their young that had wandered away. They had been prodding it with spears enjoying the odd sounds it would make. They heard an adult troll coming to the sounds of the little one but didn't realize the speed with which they could move. The troll went crazy, stomping on the hunters and throwing them about. They could not be captured except my some magic, because the hunter's arrows and spears did nothing but enrage the beast. It would take a hundred arrows to bring one down, and by that time, the destruction they would cause would be considerable.

Ameni found her mate leaning against a tree just out of the glow of the campfires. She quietly moved up to his side snaking her around him. He returned the smile he had seen on her face, and then continued his scrutiny of the starlit sky.

"What do you see in the sky, my mate?" she asked softly.

"I was just wondering if our ancestors are looking down from the Hero's Halls and watching. Are they interested in what we are trying to do, and would they approve?"

"From the time I was a small girl in the village, we were always told that they believed in the justice and honor for all the lands. They had fought and died for those things and it was our duty to continue the fight. You are leading us all in a pursuit of just those things, so I would think they would approve."

Aldren gave a heavy sigh. "I just hope I can live up to their standards. I never wanted this... responsibility. I just wanted to live my life free, first on my own and then with you. Now, I must send many men, dwarves and elves into a battle that they will not come back from. Their deaths will be on my mind forever. Have we done the right thing? Would they still be alive if I had not put it into their thoughts that they could live free? Have I done them a disservice in offering that which I am not sure I can deliver?"

"It is only human to have doubts, but you are needlessly torturing yourself on this. As you have told me before, you had no choice but to follow the path that was before you. The ancients put you on this path knowing that you would do what was necessary. It really never was a choice - for either of us. But you gave these people a glimpse of what they could have if they wanted it bad enough. And they do. It's by their choice that they are here. They believe in the dream of living free and they believe in you. You have not tested the limits of your power yet, but I am willing to bet my life on you having the power to do what is necessary."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.