Barbara - Cover

Barbara

Copyright© By Morgan, 1994 - 2014. All Rights Reserved

Chapter 20

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 20 - Continues the Ali Clifford saga. The story begins six years after the ending of Cynthia Martin. Many of the characters are continued from earlier books.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Romantic  

Meanwhile Roberta Kramer had been wracking her brain trying to think of something else she could try. By now it was even starting to penetrate her head that she was losing the case. When the children were all dressed and standing around their teacher, she said, "We still haven't seen Mrs. Conroy teach. The Department is now willing to concede that she does have above-average pupils — in intelligence, at least. But can she teach? Why can't she demonstrate, Your Honor?"

As soon as the spectators heard the comment about teaching, they broke up in uproarious laughter. One woman, sitting towards the rear of the room cracked, "She sure-as-hell can, lady. But can you?" The remark triggered another burst of laughter, but this time accompanied by applause and cheering so wild that Callaway had to pound his gavel to bring the courtroom back to order.

While he was doing so he noticed that Bobbie and the children were just standing together, not making a sound. He was now utterly astounded at the children's self-control. With the unidentified woman making a remark with which they so-obviously agreed and yet to give no sign was truly remarkable.

When order was restored, he said, "Mrs. Conroy, I would like to commend you — but particularly your young students — on the remarkable display of self-control they just exhibited. I carefully noted that they did not make a sound, nor did they even smile. I am very impressed." Then with a warm smile he asked, "Are you willing to conduct a class for us?"

"Certainly, Your Honor," Bobbie replied. Then turning to the children she said, "Kids, the judge thought your behavior just now was exemplary and he appreciates it. I thought you were wonderful, too! Thank you so much."

Callaway carefully observed the reactions of the children as Bobbie smiled so warmly at them: it was like watching flowers blossom in the sun. It was so obvious that the children just lived on praise from the teacher who they so obviously adored.

Then dropping to her knees, Bobbie bowed her head and in an instant all of the children were kneeling in a small circle around her. "Oh God," she prayed, "bless us this day in our efforts to learn how better to serve you, our families and our nation, we humbly ask in the name of your son and Our Savior, Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen."

In addition to the children's response there was a thunderous "Amen" coming from what seemed to be all of the spectators in the courtroom.

"Good heavens! What did you just do?" Roberta Kramer exclaimed.

"I said a prayer asking God to guide us," Bobbie answered dryly. "What did you think I did?"

"But you can't do that! It's criminal!" the woman screamed, obviously beside herself with righteous indignation. "This is a public building!"

"So I noticed," Bobbie replied dryly. Then with her eyes flashing blue sparks she continued, "You're saying I can't pray? Is that what I'm hearing?" Bobbie asked in a flat tone of voice that those who knew her immediately recognized as a danger signal.

"Of course you cannot! Haven't you heard of the separation of church and state? You have just proven my point: You're totally unqualified to teach anyone!"

"Do your counsel join you in that position?" Bobbie asked in the same flat tone of voice.

"Of course they do!" Kramer proclaimed triumphantly. Turning to the three lawyers she asked, "You do, don't you?"

There were nods of acquiescence but Bobbie stifled a grin recognizing that at least two of the lawyers were obviously uncomfortable with what they had just done. Turning to the children she said, "Kids, take your seats for a few minutes. This is a disruption in our class but I don't think it will take very long."

While the children obediently sat down, Bobbie rose to her feet, raised her voice and called out, "Sandy Benson, I need you right away."

As the woman came forward, Callaway again stifled a grin recognizing her by her professional name, Sandra Harris. He knew her — by some personal experience, but also by reputation — to be the finest trial lawyer in the state of California and one of the very best in the United States. He had never heard of her losing a case in trial.

"Sandy, dear," Bobbie said in a tone of voice calculated to reach the corners of the room, "I think I am the victim of a conspiracy to deprive me of my civil rights. Specifically, a conspiracy to deny me the right freely to exercise my religion. Would you care to take the case?"

"Who do you want to get and for how much?" Sandy asked blithely. "The turkeys at counsel table alone, or do you want to add the State of California as a co-defendant? They are State employees, after all, and they are here today on official business. It would be easy to argue that they are acting in their official capacities as agents of the State."

Pretending to think for a few moments, Bobbie looked up at the ceiling and then said slowly and thoughtfully, "No ... I don't think so, Sandy. Just the turkeys." Very brightly she added, "I pay enough money to the damned state as it is and I'll be damned if I want my taxes raised just to pay for the dumb judgment."

"Good thinking!" Sandy exclaimed. "I always knew you were smart." Looking crestfallen she added, "That's the trouble with us trial lawyers: We sometimes get so carried away with the hunt that we forget who has to pay the bill."

Then brightly she continued, "So you want a nice, juicy Federal damage suit — personal, of course — against them as individuals." Appearing to remember something she added, "By the way! Such a judgment is like certain Federal tax liabilities: It doesn't even go away in bankruptcy!"

Now appearing elated, she said, "I'll just get the names and addresses of a bunch of spectators. They will serve both as witnesses to Kramer's words and as evidence that the denial of your constitutional rights took place in a public setting which maximizes the personal injury to you. It's going to be wonderfully expensive for them!"

As Sandy turned, apparently to do what she had just announced, Kramer, now sounding shaken, asked, "What was this little charade I just saw?"

"Charade, Ms. Kramer?" Bobbie replied scathingly. "No charade. As I said earlier today, the Constitution of the United States is a very interesting document. You really should read it. Since you just abridged my right freely to exercise my religion, you violated my civil rights. Moreover, since you were joined by three others, that creates a conspiracy. That's all we need."

With a mirthless smile she added, "Kramer, you just made a terrible mistake! You see, the premises we use for our little school are the property of Clifford & Jamison Attorneys at Law! It is reputed to be the finest law firm in the state. Your colleagues might recognize my friend, Sandy Benson, better by her professional name: Sandra Harris."

The instant she said the name there were looks of utter shock and dismay on the faces of the attorneys. Continuing, she said, "But it gets even better, you see. Laura Benson, Sandy's daughter, is sitting here beside me. So you could almost say that pursuing this action for Sandy will be a labor of love because I know she utterly adores Laura and would do anything — particularly including giving her life — for her."

Now with an evil grin on her face, Bobbie continued, "But it gets even better! Another partner in the firm is Celeste Trang, possibly the foremost legal collections expert in the country. Celeste just loves to find money to collect on judgments! On one I know of, she has already collected $10 million on a $10 million judgment — and the losers still owe $25 million! Isn't that great? I don't know exactly how she does it, but it's all very legal. Apparently, it's a legal 'loaves and fishes' sort of thing. But of course, I'm not a lawyer, either, so what do I know?"

Brightening she said, "Oh! I almost forgot! Celeste is Celeste Trang Chan, the mother of Karen Chan sitting beside me ... and my sister! I think her fees will be ... affordable. What do you think, Ms. Kramer?"

Now she feigned a look of sorrow as she added, "Of course, the mothers of eight of these ten children are also lawyers — all partners in the firm. For example, Ken Clifford, here, is Ali Clifford's son and firstborn. She utterly adores him. Then Charley Conrad is the firstborn of Virginia Jamison Conrad ... And it goes on. I think it's going to be great fun, don't you!?"

By now Kramer was looking as if she had eaten something that had made her sick. Going to the bench she asked Callaway, "Judge, is this all true?"

"Is all what true?" Callaway asked pretending ignorance.

"These things that this woman just said?"

"Well..." the judge began, raising his eyebrows, "Sandy Harris is probably the finest trial lawyer in the nation. I have never heard of her losing a case... any case. I have also heard of Celeste Trang's ... persistence. It's sort of a joke among judges, in fact."

Looking up at the ceiling he added pensively, "Of course, I guess it's not nearly as funny to the people she's going after ... She just keeps coming in, week after week, having found that assets were transferred from one entity to another to avoid having to pay." Then he brightened and added, "She appeared before me one time. You know, I think she really enjoys it. For her, it's sort of like putting together a complex jigsaw puzzle. She seems to look at it almost as a form of recreation."

"What about ... about the civil rights thing?" Kramer asked, now looking as if she were about to vomit up her lunch.

"Oh, that's different," Callaway said brightly, "Bobbie Conroy is exactly right! The action of two or more people acting together creates a conspiracy and, yes, Federal law does provide for triple damages in cases of conspiracy to deny a person her civil rights. The free exercise of religion is most certainly guaranteed in the Federal Constitution — and in the State of California's as well, by the way. Whether you did abridge her free exercise is a finding of fact left to a jury, but ... Ms. Kramer, let's just say that right now I wouldn't give you ten cents for all of your assets.

"You see, subsequent to an illegal act, any sale or transfer of assets could be undone, so if I bought something from you it could be taken away from me to satisfy a judgment against you! And as I said, Celeste Trang is terribly ... persistent ... and extraordinarily thorough. She wouldn't leave you with two cents!"

Turning to Bobbie, Kramer asked gracelessly, "What do I have to do to get you to call off your dogs?"

"Dogs, Ms. Kramer? You certainly do have a way with words! Referring to honorable members of the California Bar as dogs?" Bobbie shook her head sadly and said, "You really do have a talent for digging holes for yourself, don't you?"

By now Kramer was a sniveling wreck and Bobbie decided that enough time had already been wasted. Briskly, she said, "Kramer, you can do two things: First, get down on you knees and pray to God — loudly — for His forgiveness, and second, while still on your knees, ask the pardon of these young children who are trying so hard to learn."

Then with steel in her voice she added, "Do it! Now!"

With a look of shock on her face Kramer did as she was told. Dropping to her knees she looked up and said loudly, "Dear God, please forgive me for interfering with prayers directed to you. I am so sorry!"

At that instant there was an enormous flash of lightning right outside the courtroom window instantly followed by an ear-bursting clap of thunder. The poor woman dropped flat on the floor and began to cry, wailing that she had been a terrible sinner and vowed to be better. While she was still prostrate, Bobbie turned to the children, winked, and held her thumb up. The kids grinned back at her.

When she rose to her knees, Kramer was still shaky. She began to get up when Bobbie reminded her of the second part. Kramer's eyes flared in anger, but she went back to her knees and earnestly asked the children for their forgiveness. By this time they were attuned to the game so they spent a few moments debating among themselves whether the apology should be accepted — whether, in fact, Ms. Kramer was truly sincere. Finally, with the appearance of greatest reluctance, they did.

When Kramer had returned to her seat, Bobbie looked up at the judge and asked, "Can we get back to our school now?"

"By all means!" Callaway replied with a big wink.

Turning to Cindy Cartwright, Bobbie said, "Darling, it's your turn to hold the flag today."

The beautiful green-eyed Eurasian girl took the small flag out of its case and proudly held it with her right arm exactly parallel with her body while the butt of the flagpole was held tightly against her stomach with her left hand.

Facing the spectators, Bobbie said in a voice that carried clearly to the corners of the room, "Would you all please rise for the Pledge of Allegiance?" Turning back to face the flag and standing erect, Bobbie put her right hand over her breast and began, "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."

At that instant all of the children chimed in together. It was apparent that all of them both understood and truly meant the words they were saying as they continued, " ... of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands: one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all!"

By the time they had completed reciting the Pledge tears had appeared at the corners of Cindy's eyes. Immediately, Bobbie swung into The National Anthem, but singing the almost-unknown fourth verse: "Oh! Thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand / Between their loved home and the war's desolation! / Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land / Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation. / Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, / And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.'" The ten children singing together had truly remarkable soprano singing voices and they sang with great emphasis and feeling. Clearly, they were not just singing words.

By this time tears were streaming down Cindy Cartwright's face, but she was still holding the flag as steady as a rock. She was looking at it with her eyes focused on the star field when Roberta Kramer — in spite of her experience of just a few moments earlier — screamed, "Stop it this instant! This is illegal and immoral..."

Ignoring the screaming woman Bobbie continued, " ... and the star spangled banner, in triumph shall wave..." By this time all of the members of the now-very-large spectator group had joined in to sing and drowned out the woman's shrieks of protest, " ... O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"

Before Kramer could say a word, Cindy Cartwright screamed, "You idiot! What do you think you were doing?"

"That song — or at least that verse — is immoral and illegal! It cannot be sung in the State of California." Wheeling on Bobbie she exclaimed, "I demand an immediate apology!"

"Oh?" Bobbie asked with her face bland. "For singing The Star Spangled Banner?"

"That verse," Kramer replied. "It's illegal!"

"My, how quaint," Bobbie said pensively. "You're saying that the State of California has overruled the Congress of the United States? I guess you must be, though, because it was formally adopted as our National Anthem ... by Act of Congress!"

"Yes, it's been overruled," Kramer continued. We did it just a couple of years ago—"

"We?" Bobbie interrupted. "Who's 'we'?"

"The California State Department of Instruction!" Kramer replied proudly.

"Oh," Bobbie said in a very flat tone of voice. Then looking at Callaway with her eyes wide she asked, "Judge, I guess it's just that I'm young and of course haven't graduated college or anything, but ... but judge, when did the Department of Instruction get the authority to overrule an act of Congress?"

Replying in the same vein, Callaway looked embarrassed and said, "Mrs. Conroy, you have put me on the spot! I regret to say that I am not aware of any such legislation. Of course ... What they are really doing, you understand, is arguing the right of nullification. But then I thought that was settled by the deaths of over 600,000 Americans in the early 1860's ... But maybe I'm wrong."

Before anyone else could say anything, Cindy Cartwright asked, "Ms. Kramer, why are you so concerned, anyway?"

Recognizing that she had put her foot in it again, Roberta Kramer took the out offered by Cindy's comment. "Because, dear, you were so obviously upset. Those vile, militaristic words—"

Before she could finish Cindy had spun on her heel, gave the flag to Mike Morris and went up to the bench. Going around to the point where it was open, Cindy stood before the judge, performed the most graceful and elegant curtsy he could imagine and said, "Judge Callaway, my name is Cynthia Cartwright and I am delighted to meet you."

Taking her hand he brought it up to his lips and kissed it gently. As he did Cindy's eyes widened in amazement and pleasure. "Oh, thank you, sir! That was so ... so elegant! It makes me feel like a lady."

"Cynthia, it was supposed to make you feel like a lady because you are a lady! Now what can I do for you?" he asked.

"Sir, may I be sworn in? As a witness?" Then with a little smile she added, "And, sir, everyone — all my friends — call me Cindy. I hope you will, too."

Callaway looked into her large and brilliant green eyes and saw the same goodness, purity and innocence he had seen in the other children's — along with the same intelligence. He asked, "Cindy, do you know the difference between telling a lie and telling the truth?"

"Yes, sir, I certainly do."

Calling over the clerk, he asked that Cindy be sworn in as a witness. After escorting the little girl around to the witness box, the clerk told her to place her right hand on a Bible and said, "In the case now in hearing do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?"

With her eyes as big a saucers the little girl said proudly, "I do!"

"State your name, please."

"My name is Cynthia Cartwright," the little girl replied to the clerk's question. Rather than sitting in the witness chair, Cindy stood at the front of the box.

"Cindy, you are now duly sworn as a witness in this case," Callaway said kindly. "Now what do you want to tell us?"

"It's ... It's that woman!" Cindy exclaimed. "She tries to stop us from singing The Star Spangled Banner because she thinks I'm upset! Judge, it's not that at all," she exclaimed in a surprisingly strong voice that carried to the corners of the room.

Hearing the girl, all the chatter in the courtroom stopped and in moments there was complete silence as the spectators listened carefully to her words.

"There were tears in my eyes because I love our flag so much! It's the flag for which my daddy suffered unbelievable tortures for fourteen years!" Looking at Callaway she continued, "Can you believe it, judge? Fourteen years? That's more than twice as long as I've been alive!

"When he was very young — just eighteen — my father, William Cartwright, was captured by the North Vietnamese. He was leading a band of Laotian irregulars that had just saved a battered platoon of U.S. Marines. He ordered his Laotians to melt away into the jungle while he provided covering fire. He had been wounded so he didn't think he could make it anyway.

"When he was captured, they spent the first couple of weeks trying to make Dad tell them where the Laotian base was. He wouldn't. Then they tried to make him confess to germ warfare—"

"We were doing it all the time back then," Kramer screamed. "He was a war criminal!"

Cindy looked at Kramer as if she were a strange bug crawling out from under a rock but just continued, "—but he would not! Then they just wanted to break him! They wanted him to denounce the flag of our country — the flag I was so proudly holding a few minutes ago. He would not! For fourteen years they tried to break him, but could not!

"My mother was only ten years old at the time. They thought they could use my mother to break my father by embarrassing a grown man in front of a very young woman. While they were torturing him — often with red-hot tongs on his testicles — and he was screaming in agony, Mom would just concentrate and stare into his eyes to let him know that she understood ... and that she loved him. In her presence this torture continued for over three years. Dad didn't know that at least once a week Mother would volunteer to be whipped mercilessly in his place.

"I'm sure it won't surprise you to learn that they cheated: They beat them both. Dad was kept chained to a wall by both wrists and never freed. He lived in his own excrement. Mom had to wipe it off him before she could even touch him. Regularly, they placed a red-hot knife blade between his lips so he couldn't kiss my mother — but he kissed her anyway.

"Since Dad was kept naked and Mom was always naked, too, they tried to use her to arouse him sexually but allow him no relief. Mom managed one day to get him inside her — she wasn't even thirteen yet — and give him the relief he craved.

"She was beaten so badly she almost died for doing it. Then Dad was moved to Hanoi and Mom couldn't follow him so she made her way, alone and naked, hundreds of miles through the jungle and then along the China coast. Finally, she swam over ten miles through shark-infested waters to reach Hong Kong.

Then — I don't know how — she managed to get to the United States! She didn't even know Dad's name. She knew him only as Bill. But she knew that any country that could inspire a man the way the United States inspired Bill, had to be a great place. She finally made it here.

"Ultimately, she was admitted to the University of Chicago where she graduated summa cum laude, and Phi Beta Kappa, majoring in economics. Then she went to the graduate school of business where she graduated number one in her class after majoring in finance and banking.

"Taking a position with Chicago Trust Company, she went to work in a then-tiny unit headed by a senior vice president, Cindy Burke. Mrs. Burke is my godmother and Mr. Burke is my godfather. I am named after her because my parents know that, had it not been for her, they never would have been reunited.

"Anyway, Aunt Connie called Aunt Cindy one day. It seems that her husband, Chip, had a brother who had been lost in Vietnam. Finally, after fourteen years and after spending a great deal of money, Chip had found him and got him home. But he was in a catatonic state. He didn't know where he was nor who he was. All they knew was that he occasionally said a few words in a language no one could recognize.

"Since Mom speaks over thirty — I have no idea how many more than thirty — Aunt Connie asked if Mom could come out here to Los Angeles. Maybe she could help. Well, of course she did, and discovered the love of her life, Bill Cartwright.

"They were married a week later. A few weeks after that my dad was honored at the Presidio in San Francisco: The President of the United States presented him with the Medal of Honor, the highest award for valor our country can bestow."

By this time tears were streaming down her cheeks but Cindy's head was held up straight. The courtroom was totally silent as everyone hung on the girl's words. Continuing, she looked at Callaway and said, "It's a small world we live in, Judge. I mentioned that Dad had rescued a beat-up Marine platoon? In command at the time was Dan Burke. It was Uncle Dan's life that Dad saved."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.