Shutter Release
Chapter 35: Split in Two

Copyright© 2019 by Ryan Sylander

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 35: Split in Two - Matt and Lara start off the new year with hope for the future, but the arrival of the Irish twins throws everything on its head. The foursome grows close, riding the victories and defeats of high school with a little help from their friends. When a dim secret is dredged up from the depths of the sea, everything changes. The half-siblings leap into the unknown, wondering if they'll ever be able to find truth. (Please read Books 1 & 2 of the HPL series to understand this story.)

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including mt/ft   Teenagers   Consensual   Romantic   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Fiction   Humor   School   Exhibitionism   Oral Sex   Voyeurism   Public Sex   Caution   Slow  

“Hello?”

Uh oh ... That’s not good...

“I don’t like the sound of that,” I said. “The last time you answered ‘Hello’ was—”

“Good evening, Matt,” Mairead interrupted.

“Oh, hi, Mrs. Martin!”

“Heather is not here,” she added, her voice quite amused.

I would’ve laughed, except that I suddenly realized how close I’d just been to revealing Heather’s secret. Holy shit... ! Way too close.

“I’m sorry about that just now,” I explained, my skin prickling. “Sometimes Heather, well ... She’ll pretend to answer as you!”

She laughed. “I’m sure. But she is out at the studio.”

“Do you know when she’ll be back?”

“Two hours ago,” Mairead replied evenly.

“So I guess that really means you’ll see her tomorrow.”

“You know my daughter well. How are you doing, with the concert preparations?”

“Oh, you know. It’s going really well, but there’s a lot to do still. And trying to sleep enough and keep up with schoolwork, along with everything. But we’re actually managing.”

“I wish you luck with everything.”

“Thanks. Although I am pretty bummed that I’ll be missing Heather’s thing at the vision center.”

“Yes, a shame how that it was scheduled for the same day. I’ll make sure to take some pictures for you.”

“That really would be great!” I exclaimed. “Is she doing okay?”

“Yes, though we hardly see her since you left. We even hired on a temporary person to work the market, so she can focus on her project.”

“Wow ... Has she started welding stuff in your living room yet?”

“Don’t even get me started! The ideas Heather has, sometimes...”

“Only sometimes?” I joked.

“Oh, you do know my daughter too well,” she echoed. “And it seems you’re in luck. I believe she’s just returned.”

“Better make room in the kitchen for her next apparatus!”

Mairead laughed knowingly. “Indeed. It was great talking to you, and good luck again with your concert.”

“Thanks!”

I waited patiently until I heard the phone being picked up. The voice was mysterious when it came.

“It was a dark and stormy night ... The rare and elusive Heather returned from the wild hunt, only to find...”

I held my breath. “To find what?” I finally said.

I could almost hear her shrug away the suspense.

“You’ll have to find out some other time!”

“Okay then... ! Well, hello, stranger,” I greeted, laughing. “I feel lucky to have caught you.”

“Well, it actually is raining here. That part of the story was true.”

“So you weren’t out hunting?”

“Oh, that was also true, I guess.”

“And you are rare and elusive, so now I really want to know what you found, because it also has to be true!”

She laughed. “I found my love, of course.”

“Aw ... You’re so sweet.”

“There, now you know how the story goes: short and sappy!”

I sniffed. “I’ll take whatever I can get! What were you hunting?”

“I was out looking for ideas for Leila’s portrait.”

“Really? At night in the rain?”

“Yeah, it could look really cool with some well-positioned strobe lights.”

“I’m sure, but...”

“My other ideas haven’t worked out,” she lamented. “I had this dream that I took a picture of her floating underwater in a flowing dress. It was really cool, but I don’t think I have time to figure out how to make that work. I’d need to find a place that sells dive gear or something. It’s just all just coming up too quick now.”

Underwater... I felt a pang of regret at the forgotten gift. Then again, maybe it’s for the best she doesn’t have it.

“Just keep it simple, Heather, so you can finish. What you have is already amazing, I’m sure.”

“I still have too many things I want to get done, though.”

“I know, but ... Is her filter working out yet?”

“Yeah. Getting close to having it dialed in. We’ll be tweaking it all weekend. Leila’s been great about coming over to work on it with me. It’s been so helpful. And Chip has insisted on paying for everything, above his commission.”

“That’s pretty awesome.”

“I’m really humbled by them, giving me a chance to do this.”

“Man, I really want to come down there and see the shots now!” I cried.

“Oh, you’ll see them eventually. They’ll be up for the summer. How are things up there? Gwen still kicking your ass?”

“I think we’re all whipping each other now,” I said, laughing. “But it’s going really well ... For us anyway. I’m getting worried about The Nameless.”

“What’s up?”

“I asked Bruno today how things were going, and he was acting weird. Finally I got out of him that they haven’t rehearsed at all since I asked them to do the show.”

“Wow, that’s too bad. What’s with them?”

“I’m not sure. He said they’ve been busy, and Skinner lives down south of here, you know, and he hasn’t been around lately. He did say they were going to get together tomorrow after school, but who knows.”

“You’d think they’d want to sound good for such a big show. Are you going to cut them out?”

“I’m thinking about it, even though I’d hate to do that. We put up the rest of the posters yesterday, and everyone knows that they’re playing. It would look bad if they didn’t.”

“And bad if they don’t sound good,” Heather remarked.

“I know,” I groaned. “I guess I should’ve listened to everyone else. They warned me not to ask them!”

“Maybe, but ... it was the right thing to do. It’s not your fault if they’re not taking it seriously.”

“Yeah, well, now I don’t know what to do about it.”

“Easy. Go over there tomorrow and bash some heads,” she said simply.

“Go where? To their rehearsal?”

“Yeah. You’re the one putting on the show, so you should make sure people are holding up their end of the deal. Chip is doing that with me, checking on the progress and making requests ... It’s really pushing me to work even harder.”

“Hmm ... I guess you’re right. I could do that. Though it sounds weird to say I’m putting on the show!”

“I get that,” she agreed, before laughing. “But you are!”

“All right, maybe I will see what they’re up to. I’m sure I won’t be very welcome, but whatever. At least if I show up, they might take it more seriously.”

“Exactly.”

“Thanks, Heather. I’m already feeling better.”

She laughed. “Don’t worry. I’m pretty sure talking to Skinner will cure you of that feeling!”


The next day, I managed to find out from Pete that they were indeed rehearsing after school. It was like pulling teeth to get the information, and when Pete suddenly sat up and asked me why I was wondering, I chalked it up to random chat. But it wasn’t random, because I had Alice drop me off at Carl’s house on the way home. I rejected Muireann’s offer to accompany me, despite the comfort that her presence would have brought. Keep it simple, fool...

“Matt!” Carl answered as he swung the door open. His face quickly settled into puzzlement. “What are you doing here?”

“Can I come in?”

He took a long glance behind him, and then shrugged. “Uh ... Yeah, sure.”

I could hear a guitar playing a riff from the family room, a promising sign. Part of me had been wondering if Pete had been lying about the whole thing.

“You guys are rehearsing, I hope?” I asked.

“Yeah, we’re just getting started. Skinner was showing us a new song he wants to play.”

He led me into the family room. When did Carl start wearing bandanas?

“Whoa, look what the cat dragged in!” Skinner bellowed, eyeing me with a sly grin.

“What’s up, guys,” I muttered.

Why am I here again?

Pete looked particularly dismayed to see me even as he shrunk back into his corner. Carl’s family room was long and narrow, so any band setup in there was necessarily awkward. But Pete was particularly oddly placed, almost behind Skinner, whose large amp seemed to wall Pete off.

“So what did you want, man?” Carl asked me.

“He’s here to join the winners,” Skinner said, gaining a snigger from the drummer. Bruno’s shifty eyes just took in the scene uneasily.

I ignored the remark. “I just came by to see what you’re up to. Are you ready for the show?”

“I don’t know,” Skinner replied. “Is your boxer chick going to be there? Or did she get arrested by now for rioting?”

“If you mean Gwen,” I said evenly, “then yeah, of course she’s going to be there.”

“Not sure I want to play the show then! I’m not going to hit a girl, but I don’t like being sucker-punched for nothing either.”

“Then don’t talk to her.”

“I never have!” Skinner protested. “Except for two words, but what, I can’t even say ‘Good show’ to someone?”

“That’s ... not why she punched you, all right?”

He made a rather punchable face. “Why the hell did she then?”

“It doesn’t matter anymore. Just do your thing, and she’ll do hers. This show is about Carmen. Not Gwen, and not you.”

His expression abruptly grew serious. “Oh shit ... I just remembered something. When is the show again? I don’t think I can make it.”

“Are you serious?” I blurted out, but quickly saw that he was messing with me.

“Chill, dude,” he chuckled. “I know it’s on Saturday.”

“A week from Saturday,” I clarified. “There’s a lot of people working on this, you know, so don’t fuck around.”

“Yeah, yeah. Don’t worry, we’ll be there, and we’ll rock our set. Did you really just come here to babysit us?”

“Yeah, actually,” I replied. “I heard you guys haven’t been practicing much, so...”

“Well, then see what you think of this,” Skinner retorted, turning the volume on his guitar up. He glanced at Carl, who hadn’t moved. “Come on guys, wake the fuck up! Are we going to jam or what?”

Fucking Skinner. Hmm ... He actually sounds a little like Gwen! Maybe they would get along ... until they murdered each other, anyway.

I leaned against the doorframe as he kicked off a song with a cool riff, something I’d never heard before. Admittedly, Skinner’s guitar was turned up so loud that it was about all I could hear even when the rest of the guys joined him. Still, the groove was undeniable.

Well my mama said... “ he sang, “that your life is a gift...

I listened, half-surprised to find myself tapping my foot. Despite wanting to shove Skinner through the windows for being a jerk, I also was immediately feeling better at hearing some good music in the room. After all, it was a concert, not a sit-down tea party with him. As long as it sounds good, who cares if he’s a prick...

After he’d taken his usual extended solos and brought the song to a close, he turned and grinned at me.

“Good enough for this town?” he asked.

“That sounded great,” I admitted. “Did you write that?”

He threw a dismissive grin my way. “Come on, dude, haven’t you heard it on the radio? It’s everywhere!”

“Sorry, not much of a radio man these days,” I dismissed. “Too fucking busy, and the only thing that’s ever playing is that REM song anyway.”

Skinner laughed, and for once I thought it sincere. “Ain’t that the truth! Fuck that whiny shit. Do you want to hear another one?”

“Sure, go for it. You need to fill an hour,” I said, though I was distracted by Bruno frowning in Pete’s direction. I leaned into the room to look and saw him walking out the other door without a word.

“Hey man!” Carl called out. “We’re going to play another song!”

Pete didn’t return, though.

“What’s up with him?” I asked, feeling some anxiety at his strange exit.

“PMS,” Skinner joked.

“Come on, man, that’s not funny,” I muttered.

“I don’t know. Whatever, though ... We can play without him.”

As Skinner started the next song, I kept an eye on the other door, debating if I should go find out what was going on. He probably just had to pee...

As it turned out, that was likely it. He was back before the song ended, but the gnawing feeling in my stomach remained unsettled when I caught his dour look. Pete and his moods...


“Lara, can I talk to you for a minute outside?”

She nodded and left the twins at the cabin table.

“What’s up?” she asked, once I’d closed the front door. Despite the beautiful spring afternoon, I found little joy in it.

“I’m worried about Pete.”

She pursed her lips. “Okay ... I know you said he looked out of it when you went over there earlier.”

“Yeah, but ... He’s just been so weird since, you know ... Since the beginning of the year.”

She eyed me. “I’m not sure what you’re saying.”

“I’m not saying anything. I just wanted to tell someone, because it’s been bugging me.”

“What do you think’s up with him? It can’t be him still being down about what happened, right? It’s been like, what, four months? Since he cheated on me?”

I winced at the edge in her tone. “Yeah, I guess.”

We were quiet for a time. I wasn’t sure what I’d been expecting to gain by telling Lara. But it was clear that despite what she said about it, she wasn’t quite over the break up either.

“Do you think I should talk to him?” I finally asked.

“Do whatever you think, Matt. And don’t worry, I don’t mind if you do. I’ve always said you didn’t have to give up on those guys because of me.”

I grunted. “Well ... I never gave up on them, not exactly. Before I knew it, they were playing with Skinner ... Ugh ... The whole thing is still weird. Let me try talking to him in study hall tomorrow.”

She nodded. “Sure. I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful, but I’m not really...” She sighed and shrugged.

“I know,” I said quietly. “I’m sorry ... I didn’t mean to bring up old hurts.”

“I’m okay, Matt. I just don’t want to do that right now. Too much other stuff to do. I’m trying to look forward, not back.”

“I hear you.”

“Hey, are you going to invite Alana to the show?” she suddenly asked.

I eyed her. “What made you think of that?”

“I thought of her earlier, when you were telling us about Skinner.”

“Okay ... I’m not planning to invite her, no.”

“You should. Maybe she can bring some friends from college. It would be extra people, and I think she’d dig it.”

“I know she would,” I sniffed. “She’s probably our biggest fan.”

“Then why not?”

“Because I’m an idiot and never got her number. I was so out of it, that morning after the band battle when she dropped me off, and I was like, yeah, I’ll just get it from Jonah.”

Lara frowned at me. “So call him then?”

“No thanks.”

“Really? You’re still pissed at him?”

“Yeah ... Well, not so much pissed anymore, but I just don’t want to talk to him.”

Her expression shifted into scolding. “Even if it means not calling Alana?”

“Even if,” I confirmed, before pacing around. “Oh, I don’t know. I could call him, but ... I guess it’s not too different about how you don’t want to talk to Pete. I’m going to have to hear about the battle again, and I don’t want to go there right now.”

Lara nodded slowly. “All right. I guess I get that.”

“And the last thing I want to do is ask him for a favor. Screw that.”

“I can call him for you.”

“It’s fine, Lara. Besides, Alana’s back at school. I’m not going to bother her.”

Lara considered me for a time. “Did something happen with you and her?”

I jolted. “Happen? No, why?”

“I don’t know. It almost seems like you don’t want her there, for some reason.”

I huffed and made a face. “Fine ... To be honest, I don’t. I love hanging out with her, but I don’t want to get caught up with her again, like at the battle. I still feel terrible for leaving you all that night. And if she comes to the show, she’ll probably come to the party here afterward, and I don’t want to be distracted from the band, you know? Because I know that’s what would happen.”

Lara smiled and caressed my arm. “Okay. I understand now. You could’ve just told me that to start with.”

“Sorry,” I admitted. “But I didn’t really even know it myself, until I said it.”

“I know how that goes.”

“Anyway, I’ll think about what to do with Pete. Thanks for listening.”

“Yeah, of course,” she murmured.

I gave her a hug and we returned to the cabin to keep ahead of the homework. Time sure seems to be speeding up this week.


“D’accord, qui veut lire cette passage?”

I kept an eye on Ms. Legrande, passing the note across the aisle just as she looked down into her book.

I need some advice with Pete. I think he’s having a hard time with this concert. He had a crush on Carmen and I get the feeling he’s not having a good time playing with The Nameless. But I don’t know what to do about it.

“C’est un extrait d’un roman célèbre,” our teacher continued. “Qui veut lire?”

Muireann was writing under my words as Ms. Legrande scanned the room for her first victim. Luckily, she settled on someone sitting in the other corner.

“Allez, Monsieur Ryan, s’il vous plaît. A partir de la page 106, où il commence avec ‘C’était’...”

Muireann slipped the paper back to me.

I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t know him very well but you’ve said that he’s been your friend for a long time. Will he talk to you about it?

I scribbled out a response as the hapless kid started trying to read the passage aloud.

“Satay com see jah-vase at-en-du pend-ant toot lay tamp...”

I don’t know. But even if he does talk I’m not sure what that will help. He’s probably still crushed about Lara but she doesn’t want to be around him. Not as friends anyway. So I can’t really hang out with him too much.

“Bien. Et pouvez-vous expliquer ce que cela signifie, selon vous?”

A pregnant pause hung in the air. Muireann pretended to be paying attention, even as her hand surreptitiously spelled out her reply.

“Um ... What it says?” Ryan asked slowly.

“Oui, Monsieur.”

“Okay ... Uh ... It starts with ‘It was,’ and, um...”

The silence continued. Ms. Legrande wandered over to him, so Muireann angled the note toward me so I could read it.

What if you ask him to come to the park on Saturday? When you meet with Ray and the crew?

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.