Shutter Release
Chapter 12: Take a Look at Me

Copyright© 2019 by Ryan Sylander

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 12: Take a Look at Me - Matt and Lara start off the new year with hope for the future, but the arrival of the Irish twins throws everything on its head. The foursome grows close, riding the victories and defeats of high school with a little help from their friends. When a dim secret is dredged up from the depths of the sea, everything changes. The half-siblings leap into the unknown, wondering if they'll ever be able to find truth. (Please read Books 1 & 2 of the HPL series to understand this story.)

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including mt/ft   Teenagers   Consensual   Romantic   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Fiction   Humor   School   Exhibitionism   Oral Sex   Voyeurism   Public Sex   Caution   Slow  

I felt an arm grip my winter coat.

“Matt ... I don’t know that we can do this!”

“Of course you can. It’s not that hard.”

“No, I’m worried about Tommy!” she whispered. “What if he falls? Or runs into someone?”

I gave her gloved hand a pat. “He’ll be okay. It’s pretty soft, you know. Watch...”

I let myself fall sideways like a cut tree, landing on my hip and shoulder. Muireann gave a little cry of surprise, but I just laughed it off. In another moment I was standing again.

“You want to try it?” I said, setting up to give her a little shove.

“Don’t you dare!” she cried. “Though with these clunky boots on, I’m sure I’ll fall plenty of times on my own today.”

“At least put on the skis?” I suggested. “It’s actually easier that way. And way more fun! Besides, it’s flat here, so you have nothing to worry about.”

“Who agreed to this insanity?” she asked.

“Uh ... You did? Remember, last night?”

She rolled her eyes. “I knew it was a bad idea to let you give me that whiskey.”

I made a horrified face. “Me? It was Lara who went to the stash! And besides, you had one sip, so you were hardly drunk when you said you’d come skiing.”

“Did you know that’s an Irish word?”

I eyed her. “Uh, no?”

“It’s from uisce beatha.”

“Huh ... I would never have guessed.”

“Why? It’s not like we don’t have a lot of it back home!” she remarked.

She’s messing with me...

“Really ... In what part of Ireland?” I asked, raising a brow.

She looked at me funny. “Like, everywhere?”

I returned her look. “I thought you said it hardly snowed there.”

The confusion intensified. Then at the same time, we both blurted out, “What are you talking about?”

“Whiskey?” Muireann said first.

I started laughing quite hard. “Oh! I thought you were talking about skiing!”

“Why would you think that?”

“I don’t know. It’s what we were talking about, and it even sounds kind of like it!”

“No, we were talking about you getting me drunk to celebrate end of term and convincing me of this madness!”

We had a good laugh.

“All right, I know you’re just stalling, but it’s time to put on the whiskeys.”

She gave me a smirk, and then stared at the equipment with some trepidation. “I really don’t know about this!” she sang.

Poor Muireann...

Lara had been with Tommy over at a bench, and I saw that she finished snapping his boots tight and clicking them into his skis.

“Your brother is all over this,” I said.

We both watched as Lara pulled Tommy toward us. He was wearing a neon orange vest indicating that he was visually impaired, something Sarah had insisted on when we announced that we were going to try skiing. He wasn’t pleased with the bold fashion statement, but Mom had made herself clear on the need for it. And she did have the official authority to snip our lift passes, as she reminded us.

Once he gets on the slopes, he’ll forget all about it... Then I watched his expression as he got moving and realized that he already had.

“We’re ready,” Lara announced. “Uh, Muireann?”

“I think I’ll just watch for a bit,” she said, eyeing Tommy as he gleefully slid his skis back and forth like he was doing cross-country. She called out in Irish to him.

“Oh, it’s not you I’m worried about,” Tommy snorted. “If I break a leg, Mam will surely break my other one out of spite! So of course, I’ll be careful.”

“For now, we’ll just glide around the flat parts, so you can get your balance,” Lara said.

She barely got the words out before Tommy was pushing his poles into the snow, propelling himself away from us. He hooted as he picked up a little speed. Lara set off after him, giggling.

“And they’re off,” I said. “Come on, it’s fun, see?”

Muireann vacillated, then held her hand out to me. “How does this work?”

I grinned as I offered her my shoulder for balance, and then instructed her on how to clip her boots into the skis.

“Whoa...” she said, once the second one was on. “No, Matt, don’t let go!” she cried. “Wait!”

“It’s fine, I’m right here!”

“Oh no ... I’m sliding backward! Matt, I’m—!”

It was all I could do not to double over laughing, because just then Tommy glided by us, carrying on like he was Evel Knievel. Muireann was shrieking, having grabbed my shoulders again. Her body hung from me at an angle as her skis pulled her feet away. I guess we are on a slight slope after all... !

Lara slid past, giving me an amused grin as she chased after Tommy.

After letting her try to get upright on her own, I finally wrapped my arms around Muireann’s waist and pulled her straight.

“I didn’t think it would be this slippery!”

I gave her a look. “Are you serious?”

“Aye, because you’re just standing there still! Why?”

“Angle your skis a little, like this ... There you go. See how you can hold the edge?”

Tentatively Muireann let go of my arm, and found that indeed, she could remain in place. She even managed a small but victorious smile as she realized it didn’t have to be complete chaos.

I bent down and took up her poles. “Here, these will help too.”

It didn’t take long until she was pushing around the snow flats, though slower than Tommy. Lara and I tailed our respective charges for a time until it was clear they were steady enough on their skis. I turned around and poled a bit to join Lara.

“No, where are you going?” Muireann cried, having looked over her shoulder just as I made my move to leave her on her own.

“You’re fine!” I called back. “I’m just right here.”

“She’s funny, isn’t she?” Lara confided as I neared.

“Hilarious. So should we take them to the top?” I joked.

“I don’t think it would look good for the exchange program if we killed one of them.”

“Who, him into a tree? Or her from a heart attack?”

We shared a laugh as Muireann approached.

“Tommy, hold up!” I called out.

He circled around and joined us.

“This is fantastic!” he declared.

“You look pretty solid out there,” I said. “So ... want to try a bit of a hill?”

“Of course!”

Like a kid in a candy store...

“Wait, wait ... Which hill?” Muireann asked.

With his sugar-free mom...

I gestured to the bunny slope that stretched away from the flats. Her eyes practically popped out of her head.

“That? It’s too steep! Is there not an easier one to begin with?”

“There is,” Lara said. “It’s this flat part you’ve been on!”

“It seems fine, the hill,” Tommy dismissed.

“Because you can’t tell!” Muireann retorted.

Her brother just laughed.

“We’ll take you up one at a time,” I said. “Come on, Tommy, you’re first. Muireann, you can keep practicing down here. Then we’ll switch.”

Lara and I laughed off her diminishing protests as we guided Tommy over to the pony lift. After a bit of explanation and a brief chat with the operator, we got on line. The guy was kind enough to pull the speed of the lift down a bit as we slid up. I grabbed one of the passing handles and started up the slight hill. Lara helped Tommy get in position, and – luckily for Muireann – it only took a couple of tries until he snagged one. Lara followed on the next handle.

When we reached the top, I let go and waited for Tommy to near.

“Like we said,” I called out, “in a few seconds let go and then push off to your right!”

Tommy had no issues, and I felt a bit of elation at the success so far. I didn’t know how far he’d be able to go on skis, but this was exceeding all expectations I’d formed when he first announced his vision situation.

Calm down, Matt ... It’s just the bunny hill.

“This is capital,” Tommy gushed as Lara joined us. “The brightness of the snow makes it easy for me to make people out.”

“That’s good to hear,” Lara said.

“Tell me, how do you stop?”

“Once you get going, you won’t want to,” I said.

“Aye, that much is certain already, lad! But for Muireann’s sake, I should know how to.”

“When you get to the bottom, just aim for her,” I quipped.

Tommy had a good laugh at the idea, and then we showed him how to really do it.

“All right, let’s do this!”

Lara and I stuffed our poles down the backs of our jackets and then took to each side of Tommy. After a little discussion, we set off, Tommy pushing the tips of his skis together as he formed the classic snowplow wedge we’d practiced with him. In this formation we swept back and forth across the little hill. Tommy was, for a change, at a loss for words. Toward the bottom, we guided him more directly down the gradient so that we picked up a little speed. We came to a graceful stop right in front of Muireann.

“By all that is holy and grand, I say that coming to live with you was the best decision ever!” Tommy cried, his face beaming.

Even Muireann had nothing to say about that. In fact, a small smile was having trouble hiding on her face.

“Your turn,” I called.

“Me?” she whimpered.

“You saw Tommy do it,” Lara pressed. “It’s not that hard.”

“But he can’t stay down here alone.”

“I certainly can,” he protested.

“He doesn’t have to,” I said. “Lara can take you up, or me. You don’t need both of us.”

Tommy made some noises about not needing a chaperone, but I felt that he was just a bit too unpredictable to leave on his own. With our luck he’d sneak onto the quad lift and go to the summit!

“Go for it, Lara,” I said.

With some reluctance, Muireann pushed off toward the lift alongside my sister.

“Oh, to have functioning eyes,” Tommy lamented. “You need to tell me how she manages! Better than me, or not. I didn’t fall.”

“It’s not a competition,” I laughed.

“How often do you ski?”

“I used to come pretty much every weekend, but a little less these last few years. Got busy playing music, taking pictures, you know.”

“Can we come back tomorrow?” he begged.

“Colin’s coming to jam, remember?”

He sighed. “Aye, I forgot.”

“But ... I do have good news. Monday we don’t have school! So if you want to come back...”

Tommy gave me a high five. “That’s the best news!”

I let out a little sigh of relief as I watched Muireann successfully grab hold of the lift.

“They’re going up now,” I commented. “There’s nothing worse than getting tangled up the first time you try to ride a ground lift. They’re so jerky and unpredictable.”

“It seemed easy enough to me.”

I sniffed. “Because they slowed it down, remember? Anyway, getting on the chairlift is actually easier. But it’ll be a little while before you can do that.”

“Where do the chairs go?”

“To the steeper trails. Higher up the mountain.”

“Monday, then.”

I laughed. “Calm down and let’s see how the rest of today goes ... lad.”

Tommy exploded with laughter.

“Okay, they’re off the lift,” I said. “Gliding over a little...”

“Is she petrified?”

“Can’t quite tell from here,” I replied. “Lara’s showing her the plow. By the way, how is Of Course coming along?”

Tommy made an amused face. “Of Course? I’ve no idea what you’re talking about!”

“Sure, sure. Except, we kind of heard Muireann learning it the other night.”

“Ah, the secret is out then ... I’ll say, lad, she’s trying.”

“Trying?”

“It’s rather challenging. Not an easy style to pick up.”

“I can see that—Okay, and they’re off!”

“Is she going as fast as we were?”

“Same, for now ... Uh oh...”

“What is it?” Tommy cried.

“She’s coming straight down the hill!”

“What happened?”

“She started the first turn, but didn’t get all the way around—Ooh...”

“What is it, lad!” Tommy pressed in, as if listening to a radio broadcast of some major sporting event.

“A bit of a spill.”

He cracked up. “And she was worried about me!”

“It wasn’t bad, just slid onto her side. She’s up now. Going again...”

“Our mam would be screaming and carrying on so, if she were here.”

“At you, or Muireann?”

“Oh, she screams at everything. She’s a screaming hen. It’s an outrage. I swear, sometimes I’m glad I can’t see her ... Hey, if Muireann can go with Lara, why are we waiting here?”

“You’re ready to go up again?”

“Do you really have to ask, lad?”

We set off toward the lift line, meeting the two girls as they approached. Muireann, her face set in determination, spread her legs to widen her plow and came to a stop near us.

“Took you long enough,” Tommy called.

Muireann ignored him and glanced at me, a mix of relief and exhilaration on her face.

“Not too bad, huh?” I said, grinning. “Don’t worry, we didn’t see that huge wipeout up there.”

She just rolled her eyes, as usual. But, she did get back on line.


“How was the jam with Colin today?” Heather answered.

“Took you long enough,” I said. “That was four rings.”

“I was busy. And it was three and a half. And besides, it’s not like I’m sitting here waiting for your call all day.”

“I guess those days are over,” I joked. “The jam was really great. Colin and Shannon came over and he was really into it.”

“Was Shannon distracting him?” Heather asked amusedly.

I sniffed. “No. She was actually looking at cookbook stuff with my mom. I guess it works out: she’s going to work on pictures when Colin plays with us. So Colin will be able to concentrate after all.”

“You make it sound like you can barely separate those two!”

“Honestly, they’re like completely into each other. Ever since they hooked up, I’ve hardly talked to Shan. It’s kind of sad, actually.”

“I’m sure if I lived up there, all your friends would say the same about you!”

“You definitely have a point!”

“And besides, you have a new photography partner, sounds like. So it’s not as bad as it could be.”

“Yeah, but I still miss Shannon all the same.”

“Well, tell her I say hi, whenever you see her next!”

“For sure. Though at this rate you’ll probably tell her hi from me when you visit!”

“I hope not. So, did you play Of Course?” Heather asked.

“Nah. I haven’t even said anything to Muireann. She’ll bring it out if she wants to give it a shot. I’m just happy she’s at least thinking about it.”

“No luck getting her to play with you guys, then?”

“Nope. She just watched as usual. But there’s still hope! Oh, and get this, Colin said he has a PA he can bring over! Do you remember we went to a guy’s house after the dance?”

“Sure. Where I met Colin.”

I sniffed. “‘Met’ ... Right. Anyway, that was his friend Jake’s house, and he’s the singer in Green Space. And ... I don’t know why I’m telling you all this, but Jake got a new PA for Christmas, so Colin said we can use his. He’s going to bring it next time.”

“Wow, that’s nice of him!”

“Yeah, seriously. Now Lara doesn’t have to sing through my little practice amp, and Tommy can plug in his guitar.”

“Crank it up!” Heather called.

“Good thing we have the cabin...”

“True. How did the skiing go yesterday?”

“Well, I’d say Tommy is in love, and even Muireann didn’t shoot down the idea of going again tomorrow.”

“That’s so awesome!”

“Yeah. You put Tommy in heaven.”

“Me?”

“Well, you told me to take them skiing.”

Heather laughed richly. “I told you nothing.”

“All right, you made me—”

“No, I don’t make you do stuff!” she wailed.

“Oh, you crazy girl, stop it! You know what I mean! If it wasn’t for what you said, we wouldn’t have gone skiing.”

Heather was too amused to answer. For my part, I was too happy to hear the life back in her voice.


Second term started on Tuesday, and it was a surprisingly smooth transition despite joking about how ‘Now the work begins... ‘ Muireann’s insistence on using the first two weeks of their visit to get into the swing of doing homework turned out to be very wise.

Unfortunately, my lack of insistence on doing any work during my study hall time with Tommy seemed to be unwise, and also irreversible. Tuesday afternoon I managed only a couple of minutes of work before getting absorbed into the now habitual conversation between Tommy and Carmen; on Thursday I didn’t even bother with the zipper on my book bag. Oh well ... As long as Muireann doesn’t stop by to check in on us...

Admittedly, every time I walked into that period there was a moment of apprehension when I’d see Carmen. Weird and old feelings of shame kept wanting to stir within me, despite the fact that the two of us had long since moved on from our tortured episode as a couple.

Well, moved on, or swept things under the rug, I wasn’t sure. But luckily this awkward feeling always passed quickly, in part because Carmen was quite bubbly and fun to hang out with these days. In truth, she was always this way, I figured. Whatever negatives had been part of our time together were surely on me – and maybe a bit on Brian too, for setting up the precedent. If she had any resentment toward me, it didn’t show. Then again, most of her conversation was directed at Tommy, the new kid in town. I wondered how far her curiosity in him extended.

“You seem most interested in Ireland, lass,” Tommy said.

“My dad’s side of the family has a little bit of Irish, we think. Just a little, but...”

“What’s your family name?”

“My last name is Peoples, and—”

Tommy let out a laugh. “You’re joking.”

“I’d show you my notebook cover, but...”

He enjoyed that comment even more. “Peoples, then? Fantastic! There’s a well-known musician from County Donegal who shares our names.”

Our names?”

“My first name, and your last!”

“Wow ... So you mean maybe I have an ancestor from your area of Ireland?”

“Perhaps, lass, perhaps!”

Carmen seemed inordinately pleased at this. “I’ve always wanted to go visit, you know.”

“You should!” Tommy waved at me, perhaps thinking I was actually doing homework. “Lad, how does the exchange program here work?”

“You’re asking the wrong person. All I know is they have some fundraiser thing in the fall, because Bruno’s sister went to Italy last year so we went to it. I ate way too much food that night!”

“Then you should ask Dr. K,” Tommy said to Carmen. “We could host you, for certain.”

“Okay, slow down, Tommy!” I said, as Carmen giggled. “Your mam will throw a fit. You invited us the other day already, and now Carmen too?”

“Oh, hang Mam. She’ll have to make do.”

“You’re very sweet,” Carmen said. “Thanks for the invite, even if I won’t ever make it out there.”

“Why not? I’m serious. It’s a beautiful place to visit.”

“I’m sure. I can’t afford a trip like that, though. It’s way too expensive to do this kind of thing.”

Tommy shrugged. “I have the solution for you, lass. Just make some pasta for the fundraiser and Matt here will provide for your ticket all on his own.”

I sniggered. “The truth is out.”


“Good evening, my love!”

I sniggered. “One of these days you’re going to say that to a junk caller.”

“Wow ... That’s the reply I get to my heartfelt greeting?”

“Sorry...” Still, I couldn’t stop laughing.

Heather harrumphed. “Fine. Next time you’re getting a ‘What do you want?’”

“I was just kidding! Good evening to you too ... love,” I added.

“That’s ... better. Not enough to save it, but at least I won’t hang up on you.”

“Yeah, yeah. What’s new?”

“Working, I guess.”

“At the market?”

“Always. And on other stuff.”

“Mm hmm. What now?”

“Building an MD filter.”

“Nice. And I actually know what that is!”

“Really?”

“Yeah! Thanks to our last class project, I know all the filters now!”

“I really doubt that,” Heather drawled, with far too much confidence.

Challenge accepted... !

“Oh yeah? It’s a neutral density filter and it lowers the amount of light coming through the lens, so that you can take pictures of bright things with either longer exposures or larger apertures. And they come in different strengths, like ND2, ND4, depending on how many stops you want to take away. You could use it to blur moving water in daylight, like for waterfalls, or to get more depth of field in a brightly lit scene.”

Heather was silent for a time.

Hah, that showed her... !

“Wow,” she finally breathed. “Impressive, Matt.”

Um...

“Okay, whatever. I feel like you’re just saying that.”

“Well, it was a completely random rant. But, well done! I think I learned something in there, even!”

“Shut up ... How was that random, though? You brought up the ND filter!”

There was a moment of silence, before she spoke slowly. “Well, now that I think about it, there is some relationship, after all.”

“Some relationship? I swear, half the time I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Heather giggled as if this was the best thing in the world.

“And did you say you’re building a filter?” I pressed.

“I am.”

“What, with like old sunglass lenses? Why not just buy one? There’s actually a three pack at Murph’s for not too much money. They probably have something like that down by you, for sure.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.