11 June 2008
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2018 by Mustang

Brad and Abby sat holding hands in the large theatre, joining the 200 Idol hopefuls. He turned from side to side, looking at the others, wondering who the eventual winner would be. A huge blue oval Canadian Idol logo became the backdrop for the competition.

The commotion of countless conversations died out as the four judges walked onto the stage.

Welcome, my friends; let’s have a great day! Many of you are going to be in for a long, tense-filled three days,” Farley Flex began. “Through solo and group eliminations, we will cut the numbers down from 200 to twenty-two, plus two who will be picked from online entries.”

The judges took turns passing on words of wisdom to the competitors. Sass Jordon mentioned you have to make her feel the song enough to want to buy it. Jake Gold mentioned that the most important thing is for them to sing their songs in their version. Farley added they should envision being covered in confetti as the winner of Canadian Idol, or they shouldn’t be there. Zack Werner’s advice was to do something to make us think you are an entertainer.

“Now you’ll be singing using a microphone that will highlight the beauty of your voice or reveal its flaws. Some of you may forget your lines or be too nervous to sing in front of a crowd. We’re here to find the best of the best,” Sass added.

“You’ll come on stage in groups of ten and have forty-five seconds to one minute to sing a portion of your song. It can be the same song you sang at your audition or a different one. By the end of the day, ninety of you will be going home. Tears will be shed and dreams shattered, but at least you can say you made it this far,” Jake announced.

The competitors were called up in the order of their numbers. They walked on stage, standing ten abreast. One by one, they stood at the microphone and began to sing. Everyone in the audience was supportive of the others as they had their brief moment to impress the judges.

Ben Mulroney recorded comments about each competitor before they sang and made observations during some performances.

Brad gave Abby a hug and a kiss of encouragement as her number was called next. They had discussed her song choice and decided on a different one.

Abby was the sixth of ten to sing. She knew she was taking a chance with this song, but the judges wanted something different from her, though she was still singing about love. She had to modify the song to fit into the time allotted and change two words on one line.

Abby stepped to the microphone, taking it out of the stand holder. She looked at Brad, who smiled, giving her two thumbs up.

‘Living in A moment’ by Ty Herndon. Words and music by Doug Johnson and Pat Bunch

Well the world just lost Two lonely people The world just lost Two broken hearts The odds were against it But baby here we are In our own little place In our own little corner This old cold world just got a little warmer For the rest of my life I’m going to hold you in my arms (she hugged herself, her eyes slightly closing).

Abby had moved several steps to her right towards the edge of the stage, singing to the audience, then moved to her left.

“It’s about time someone began moving around on the stage,” Sass remarked to Jake.

Abby switched hands, holding the microphone and using her free hand to highlight her body language.

If you never get rich on what money can buy It don’t matter to me I’ll tell you why I got it all when I’m holding you this way (she emphasized by hugging herself again). I live to love you I die to keep you Safe inside these arms that need you I’ll be loving you with the very last breath I take

Now she returned to the centre in front of the judges and noticed Jake whispering to Zack.

And when they carve my stone All they need to write on it Is “once lived a woman (man) who got all she (he) ever wanted” Tell me something Who could ask for more Then to be living in a moment Loving every minute Tell me something Who could ask for more Then to be living in a moment you would die for


As Abby ended the song on a high note, Brad was the first to stand and applaud, even if no one else did. He was so proud of his girl.

“Thank you, Abby,” Farley said. She replaced the microphone and returned to the lineup. She placed her hand on her chest, her heart surely trying to escape her body.

“Wow, are you ever good!” The girl who sang before her complimented her.

“Thank you, and so did you.” Brad caught Abby’s attention and waved his approval.


The judges conferred for a few minutes to decide everyone’s fate. Moments later, Farley called the ten forward. He told six of them to step back. “Front row, you’re onto tomorrow. Back row, thank you, but this is as far as you go.”

Abby tried to hold back her enthusiasm and a big smile as she looked at Brad. She congratulated the others for making it to the next day. Now able to relax, she resumed her seat beside Brad, awaiting his turn.

Four groups later, Brad stood in line with the other singers, waiting for his turn. Once the seventh singer had finished and the applause died down, Brad approached the microphone. He adjusted the height to meet his mouth, then moved the stand closer to the edge of the stage. He strummed a series of intro chords on his guitar, then began the shortened version of his song. The pace of his strumming was the beat of the song.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.