Claudette
Chapter 7: A Confrontation and its Aftermath

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

The silence was deafening. The two players beside Sheila looked ready to rise up and give the guy some serious pain. I said quietly, “It would be best that you moved to another table.”

He said, “You can’t tell me what to do. I’ll give you all terrible reviews.”

Sheila held up her phone. “I’ve been recording you. Let’s present this to the other media and your bosses. Hopefully, they aren’t Neanderthals. Neither Claudette nor myself are play toys. We will not tolerate your attitude.”

I had stood as had the two players flanking Sheila. I said, “You need to leave while you can walk unassisted. You won’t get a better offer.” Sheila was continuing to hold her phone up to make the picture clear and get all the sound.

He said, “I’m leaving. You will regret this.” I think he was going to add the word, bitch, to his statement but he thought better of it realizing that he would be physically damaged. I hope he figured that because he was right!

He left and, until he went out the door, the lunch room was silent. The sportswriter who interviewed me yesterday walked over. “Eric, I saw everything and know his boss. I’m going to talk to him. I don’t know if it will get him removed from covering the team but it will at least get him in trouble. He deserves it.”

I said, “Thanks, Joe. I just want people to be fair and to not molest my fiancé or her roommate. She’s engaged, too.”

“That will be the plan.” He sat next to Claudette. “You must be Eric’s fiancé. He spoke positively of you when I interviewed him. I can easily understand why.”

“Thank you. Eric has always treated me right. When we met, he easily agreed to come to a Bible study and even studied once there. We’re going again tonight.” I nodded. “You would be welcome, too. It’s a good group.”

“Thank you. I appreciate the offer but time with my wife and kids will be scarce soon so I will be with them this evening. I will be traveling with the team.”

He left and we finished. I looked at my two teammates. “Thanks, guys.”

Marco said, “We didn’t do anything.”

“No but you were ready.”

He grinned. “To protect a pretty lady is no chore.” We were walking out by then.

Claudette gave his cheek a light kiss. She reached over to my other teammate and did the same. “Eric could have handled him but thanks.” They both smiled. She hugged my arm smiling back. On the field, she and Sheila went back into the stands to sit while I went for more fielding practice.

I noticed that one of the TV sportscasters was with them and was operating a camera. I figured I would hear about it later. I continued to practice fielding third and throwing to first. The coach was hitting balls harder and making fielding them more difficult. All the infielders were involved. He shouted, “Double play.” He hit a ball to the second baseman who threw to the shortstop covering second base and who then threw on to first. When my turn came, the second baseman was covering second and then threw on to first. This went on for a while until both the second baseman and shortstop were operating smoothly. We were rested and the outfielders were next to throw. He would shout scenarios to them. We infielders remained involved.

Finally, it was over and all of us were sent to the showers. Cleaned up, I came out to find Claudette waiting for me. She kissed me and said, “I’m riding with you. Sheila took the car back.” We got in my car and rode to her apartment. We just had time to eat before heading out for Bible study.

Bible study was good. People had become used to seeing me. There was a quick focus on Claudette’s ring particularly by the other younger women. We left after coffee and cookies for her place. She pulled my unresisting body through the door and onto the couch.

Once there, she straddled me and we kissed for a long, enjoyable time. She said, “I guess we should watch the news for any information.”

I nodded reluctantly. She turned on the TV and moved to sit beside me though very closely. We caught the early news. We quickly heard the caption, “Sportscaster in trouble for sexually accosting a player’s finance.” Both of us sat up.

Surprisingly, the story was pretty accurate. They included a short clip of Sheila and Claudette with a statement from Claudette in response to a question, “Yes, a sportscaster assaulted me at lunch. I slapped him and he then threatened my fiancée with bad coverage. My roommate was with me and caught everything on video since she was videoing me sitting next to Eric as we ate.”

They went on to another story. Claudette said, “They cut out the rest about going to Bible study.”

“It seems the interview was fair.” Claudette switched to another channel. It was the one from which the sportscaster came.

Their news show was just starting. The headline was “Sportscaster attacked by players.” The story was that I and two other players attacked one of their sportscasters without reason. The story did admit that their person was not injured in the clash. It made no mention of the reason why the event occurred. Later in the sports section of the newscast, the same guy who pawed Claudette made derisive comments about the quality of my play.

“Eric, calm down. There are better ways to handle this. Sheila and I will be at the park tomorrow. If he’s there, he will be confronted publicly. My love, you don’t know it but I have a black belt in karate. I can protect my body from that pudgy fool. He’s made one mistake and lied about it. He will make another.”

I left later having been well kissed.

In the morning, I was called into the manager’s office. “Eric, did you watch the eleven o’clock news last night?”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.