Claudette - Cover

Claudette

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Chapter 6: Play Ball

In the morning, I woke and stretched. I dressed leisurely and left for the park with my personal bag of playing items to report. I was a little surprised about how I had been left alone but had been so busy with Claudette that I really hadn’t given it any thought.

[Auth. Note: I know nothing of pro baseball’s inner workings and have made this from my imagination to fit the story I’m trying to tell. Those who know, forgive the ignorance. Those who don’t, well your version would have as much creditability as this version.]

I met the manager. “Sloan, I think we may lose you to the bigs though I expect you to play hard while here. Doing well here will help you later.”

“Yes, coach. I’m still learning third and getting used to the pitching. I want to be the best I can and to contribute. I’ve found that I like this town so staying a while won’t hurt my feelings. What’s the schedule and what should I expect?”

“You’re lucky. My third base coach used to play that position and enjoys teaching. If you want to learn, you will though he will make you work. Today, we’ll have some simple drills to work out any kinks. Tomorrow, we start working on becoming a team and having batting practice. BP will be every day. There will also be some emphasis during that time on fielding and plays until it’s all automatic in so far as possible. Any questions?”

“No, coach.”

“Good. Your locker has your name on it. Get changed, get on the field, and limber up. We’ll start soon. Oh, and Eric, news people will be there. That’s part of the job also.”

“Yes, sir.” I left. I found my locker and changed into playing clothes. I walked out onto the field and saw a few other players loosening up and jogging. I joined them.

It was a long day and included lunch at the field provided by the team. I was glad I had exercised while not playing or I would have really been dragging. I did enjoy the hot shower. We were due back in the morning at eight.

I drove to Claudette’s apartment, knocked, and was pulled inside. Once inside, she kissed me thoroughly. We came up for air to hear applause from Sheila and Tommy. Sheila grinned, “We’ve been together longer but you two are catching up fast.” She grinned even more. “Supper’s ready if either of you are interested in food.”

We blushed and went to the table and sat down. After prayer, we ate. The food was delicious and plentiful. I was hungry. When we finished eating, Claudette led me to the couch where I sat down and immediately dozed off. I was awakened with kisses. I returned the last two.

Claudette said, “I want to hear all about it.”

I said, “Uh.” She looked at me. I could tell she was happy but really wanted to hear a complete account of my day.

I said, “I met the coach and was assigned a locker which had equipment and uniforms. I put on a uniform and went out on the field for exercise all day except for lunch. Fortunately, I have stayed in shape so it wasn’t bad on me. A couple of guys were struggling. I showered and came here. We start tomorrow at eight and I expect some fielding and batting practice. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday are open and I have tickets for you if you want to come watch. They are free but required so I picked up half a dozen for each day.” I looked at Sheila and Tommy. “I can get more. I’m getting game tickets for everyone for the weekend.”

Claudette said, “I’ll be there. Mom will want a ticket and Dad will come for the game Friday at least.”

Sheila said, “I’ll go with her some. Tommy and I would like to go to the game.”

“Okay. I’ll get game tickets tomorrow.” I looked at Claudette. “We need to talk to my parents. I may need more tickets after that call. They will be here this weekend if possible.”

She nodded. I pulled my phone and called my parents. Mom picked up. “Hi, Mom. It’s Eric from Colorado Springs.”

“Hello, son. It’s good to hear you. Today was your first day of practice?”

“Yes, mom. That’s only part of why I’m calling though. I asked Claudette and she said, ‘Yes.’ Practice went well but engagement is better.”

“Son, that’s great. Your dad is in the room. Let me put the phone on speaker.”

A moment later, Dad’s voice came over the phone which I had had on speaker so Claudette could listen easily. “Eric, when do we meet this lady?”

“Hi, dad. She’s been listening and here’s Claudette.”

Claudette said, “Hello, Mister and Missus Sloan. It’s good to meet you at least this way. I love your son. My parents are in favor of us as a couple, too.”

Dad said, “Claudette, it’s good to hear you. You sound beautiful and intelligent. Eric has spoken of you positively. Hearing you, I can understand why.”

Mom said, “It is good to hear you, dear. Have you set a date yet?”

Claudette said, “No, ma’am. We know that it will be during the off-season though we don’t know when that will be for sure. If Eric is called up, there may be post-season involvement to consider. We planning late October or early November right now.”

Mom said, “That’s great! Let me know or let Eric know what we can do.”

Dad said, “We’re planning to fly out there for the weekend. I’ve made all the reservations. We should get in Friday and will return Monday. I understand your games are all evening games for the weekend?”

“Yes, sir. Monday will be a travel day for the team. I’m looking forward to your visit. Claudette and I are still working out details but she’s planning on my games, too. Her parents should be at one at least. They live here in Colorado Springs.”

“That sounds great. Your father and I will look forward to meeting them, too.”

“Very good, mom. See you Friday. I love you. Bye.”

Claudette said, “It was good to meet you on the phone. I look forward to meeting you in person this weekend.”

Mom said, “That’s good, Claudette. Bye.”

I thumbed the phone off and we sat back. I said, “Claudette, that went well.”

“Were you worried?”

“Not really but I’m glad it’s done.” She scrunched in closer under my arm as we watched a little TV. I went home to sleep and be ready for the morning.

I reported Tuesday morning and, after dressing, went on the field. We started loosening up immediately and then began batting practice. The team’s pitchers were throwing to warm up and practice themselves. They weren’t throwing “gimmee’s” to us but were trying to make us swing and miss. I seemed to be one of the better hitters thus far. I was sent to third to shag grounders. It gave me an opportunity to play my position. I found backing up a few feet helped me as I guarded the line as well as covered toward short. After a while, I was called in and another took my place while I cooled off.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.