25 May 2008 - Cover

25 May 2008

Copyright© 2018 by Mustang

Chapter 5

The camera focused on host Ken Morrison while the players skated around in their zone before the start of the third period. “Mark and Jim, we’ve been treated to a classic championship game. I’ll let you two set us up for what we can expect in the third period.”

The camera cut to show Mark and Jim from their broadcast booth, high above the ice surface.

“Jim, forty minutes of hockey haven’t decided anything with the score tied at two. Twenty minutes of hockey, or possibly longer, remain to decide the champion of the 2008 MasterCard Memorial Cup. What can we expect from these two hardened combatants?”

“Mark, every shift by the players will be so important. The tide of momentum can swing one way or the other with a timely goalie save or a thunderous body check. The key will be if both teams can stay out of the penalty box. The officials have largely allowed the players to decide the game, calling penalties that are blatant violations of the rules or prevented a good scoring opportunity.”

“You mentioned twenty minutes of hockey remaining, or possibly longer. If the game remains tied at the end of regulation time, they will play normal twenty-minute periods until a winner is determined.”

“Viewers and listeners, fasten your seatbelts because I’m sure we’re in for a climactic end to another CHL season.”

Mark describes the play once again. “Both teams are beginning the third period with their top lines. Referee Bob Cormier raises his arm and drops the puck. Belleville’s Joel Cross and Spokane’s Captain Chris Bruton battle for possession of the puck.”

“Cross wins the draw, shuffling the puck back to Mueller. Mueller passes it cross-ice to Subban as Bowman body checks him. Subban gains the center line with his forwards closely covered and dumps the puck into the Chiefs’ end.”

“Lucas Lindquist gives chase and battles defenseman Justin Falk in the corner for the puck. Falk wins the fight, sending it along the boards behind Tokarski to Spurgeon. Spurgeon is immediately met by Mitch Thompson.”

“Thompson knocks Spurgeon off balance, sending the puck back to Mueller. Mueller lets go a hard slap shot that Cross deflects on net. Tokarski is quick to turn aside the shot, sending the puck against the half boards to his right.”

“The puck bounces over Wahl’s stick as he’s checked by Lindquist. Mueller pinches in to get the puck, but Bruton is able to bank it off the boards past him.”

“Bruton gathers the puck along the boards, giving Spokane a quick two-on-one rush against Belleville. Subban backs up as Bruton and Bowman cross the Falcons blue line. Subban switches his stick from hand to hand as Bruton and Bowman exchange passes.”

The other players skated hard to enter the play.

“Subban points to Bruton as he enters the slot, letting Bennett know he’s covering Bruton. Bruton fades right, drawing Subban with him. Bruton passes to an open Bowman as Cross begins to check him. Bennett slides across his crease, anticipating Bowman’s shot. Bowman uses his body to shield the puck, puts a deak on Bennett, and fires the puck!”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.