25 May 2008 - Cover

25 May 2008

Copyright© 2018 by Mustang

Chapter 4

The camera centerd on Mark and Jim, with the return of the players to the ice in the background.

“Jim, the Belleville Falcons outshot the Spokane Chiefs twenty to ten yet trail in the game 1-0. What do you think Coach Stanton was passing onto his players during the first intermission?”

“Mark, Spokane’s Dustin Tokarski is demonstrating to the viewers and scouts why he’s one of the top goalies in the CHL. Most of his saves were from close in and on one-two quick rebounds.”

“Coach Stanton will stress his players to continue with the constant pressure on Tokarski. Getting twenty shots on net indicates they beat the Chiefs in their zone. It can become frustrating not scoring on so many chances, so the Falcons will have to play disciplined hockey and remain out of the penalty box.”

“Belleville was zero for three on the power play while the Chiefs failed on their lone opportunity.”


As the players took to their respective benches, the camera showed Coach Stanton with his arm on their backup goalie’s shoulder, Sam Philips. “Sam, I don’t want us caught flat-footed, so you keep a really close eye on Spokane’s line changes.” Sam nodded at his task.

Mark resumes the play-by-play, “Referee Bob Cormier raises his arm, looking to the goal judges. They flash their red lights, then he drops the puck, and the second period is underway!”

“The Falcons and Chiefs both begin the period with their top lines. Belleville wins the opening face-off, and center Joel Cross leads the attack! He passes the puck to Lindquist as he’s checked by Bruton. Lindquist rushes over the blueline, dropping the puck back to Subban. Subban passes cross ice to a partially open Mitch Thompson. Thompson fires on net, and the rebound comes back to him. He tries again, and Tokarski deflects the puck into the far corner.”

“Defenceman Jared Cowan tries to clear the puck off the boards, but it’s pinned by Muller. Muller evades a stick check from Bruton, sending it cross-ice to Subban. Subban winds up and releases a heavy slap shot that Tokarski stops.”

The players continue to battle hard for the puck, with Belleville keeping constant pressure on Spokane.

“Cowan gains possession of the puck, sending it the length of the ice into the Falcons’ zone to relieve the pressure. The lineman has his arm in the air to indicate an icing call, but Jason Bennett comes out of his net to stop the puck. There’s a flurry of activity at both benches as the teams make wholesale line changes.”

As the players skate into position, “Jason Bennett stops the puck and passes it quickly along the boards towards an approaching Nick Upton, but Upton lets the puck go by him. Corbett has gone unnoticed behind the Chiefs defenders and gathers the puck at their blueline! Corbett, digging hard, skates in on Tokarski! He deaks right, then cuts left! Tokarski pushes hard to cover the right side! Corbett backhands the puck!”

“He scores!”

The back ref, in position, slides to a halt, pointing to the puck in the net.

The Falcons’ bench erupts in celebration as the players skate to Dale to congratulate him. The Falcons’ fans go crazy cheering for their team.

“The Falcons caught the Chiefs on a slow line change, with Corbett going undetected behind their defencemen.”

“Mark, if we look at the replay, I think Coach Stanton has given Coach Peters a little payback with their own designed play. Watch as Bennett passes the puck up the side boards towards Upton. You notice that Upton has no intention of touching the puck and lets it go by him. The Spokane forwards, anticipating Upton to take the puck, skated towards him.”

“Bennett made a hard pass, intentionally deflecting it off the boards to Corbett. This isn’t the first time Bennett has done this to the opposition. Eight times during the regular season, he had the only assist on a Falcons goal with a similar play.”

Dale led the line of players to give glove pats to their teammates. He made an extra-long skate to Jason to acknowledge his perfect pass.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.