25 May 2008 - Cover

25 May 2008

Copyright© 2018 by Mustang

Chapter 1

“Good evening, everyone, and welcome to this edition of the Canadian Hockey League, CHL, on the National Sports Network, NSN. We’d also like to welcome our viewers from the United States watching on NBCSN. I’m your host, Ken Morrison, along with play-by-play announcer Mark Bailey and commentator Jim Turner. The Kitchener Memorial Auditorium is filled to capacity with 7,777 hockey fans in attendance.”

“Tonight the 2007-2008 CHL season comes to a close with the crowning of a new champion and winner of the 90th Memorial Cup with either the Belleville Falcons or the Spokane Chiefs.”

“This is the third appearance for the Spokane Chiefs at the Memorial Cup, having won it in 1991. This is the second appearance for the Belleville Falcons, and they will be looking for their first championship.”

“Jim, can you enlighten us on how these two powerhouse teams reached this important match to determine the champion?” Ken asked.

“Thank you, Jim. The Belleville Falcons had a record-setting 2007—08 season in the Ontario Hockey League. The team set new records for most points at 116, most wins with fifty, most goals scored at 409, and tying the goals against average at 2.08. They won the Bobby Orr Trophy as the Eastern Conference Champions.”

“On the way to this final game of the season, Belleville defeated the Peterborough Petes in five games in the quarterfinals, swept the Barrie Colts in the semi-finals, defeated the Oshawa Generals in five games in the conference final, and won the OHL championship over the Kitchener Rangers in seven games. Since Kitchener is the host team of the Memorial Cup, Kitchener was guaranteed entry into the Memorial Cup tournament.”

“The Spokane Chiefs’ road to tonight’s game was paved with a sweep of the Everett Silvertips, defeating the Vancouver Giants in six games, the Tri-City Americans in seven games, and surprisingly sweeping the Lethbridge Hurricanes for the WHL championship.”

“During the Memorial Cup round robin, Belleville lost 5 to 4 in overtime to Spokane, defeated the Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL champions, 6 to 3, then won over Kitchener 4 to 3 in overtime, then again defeated Kitchener in the semi-final, 9 to 0.”

“Spokane won over Belleville, 5-4, Kitchener, 2-1, and Gatineau, 3-1, in the round-robin to reach the championship game as the home team.”


Ken continued for the TV and fans in attendance to hear. “Last Sunday afternoon, the CHL awards were handed out.” Several highlights of the presentations were shown to the TV viewers and fans in attendance.

“The winner of the Brian Kilrea Coach of the Year Award went to Bob Boughner of the Windsor Spitfires. defenceman of the year went to Karl Alzner of the Calgary Hitmen. Goaltender honours went to The Tri-City Americans’ Chet Pickard. Player of the year went to Justin Azevado of the Kitchener Rangers.”

There was a loud, host team cheer for Justin from Ranger fans.

“Rookie of the Year went to Taylor Hall of the Windsor Spitfires, with Brad Hayward of the Belleville Falcons a very close second. The Scholastic Player of the Year Award went to Robert Slaney of the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. And finally, the CHL Sportsman of the Year Award went to Brad Hayward of the Belleville Falcons.”

Brad looked up, hearing his name and the cheers from the crowd and his family.

“Hayward is a worthy winner of this award for his quick action in giving first aid to Peter Kendall of the Kingston Frontenacs when his neck was slashed by a skate during a hockey game. Brad was credited with helping to save Pete Kendall’s life.”

The camera panned the cheering family, showing Abby standing between her brothers. The camera showed Dan, Karen, Wendy, and Tina, along with Diane and Brenda.

“For a complete list of the winners, go to our website, NSN.ca, or the CHL website,” Ken added.


As the players warmed up, the camera scanned the capacity-filled Kitchener Memorial Auditorium. Hockey sweaters and banners proclaimed the family’s support for the final two teams. The Hayward and Kendall families did their best to attend the Belleville Falcons games at the Memorial Cup despite the westbound 280 kilometres, a three-hour drive. The camera focused several times on the Hayward and Kendall women wearing low tops, short skirts, or just as revealing dresses.

The Falcons fan club had chartered several buses to attend the final game, whether Belleville was in it or not. The Falcon staff also arranged for a bus to take many parents and billet families to the game.

Each team took turns being the home team during the tournament. The Haywards and Kendalls sat in the lower portion of section twelve near the penalty boxes. From those seats, they’d have a clear view of both benches on the far side of the ice.

Brad and Jake had their own cheering section, along with the family members of their teammates. Derek and Peter Kendall showed partial allegiance by wearing their Oshawa General and Kinston Frontenac sweaters and a Falcons ball cap.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.