Mage - Cover

Mage

Copyright© 2018 by QM

Chapter 95

Whilst Oonagh was in with Imelda, I went to the staff meeting to be brought up to date with what was currently going on.

“Ah, John. How is our ... guest, settling in?” Roxanne asked.

“Adapting well and keen to help, as far as I can tell,” I replied, getting a raised eyebrow from her and looks of disbelief from others.

“I found no signs of deceit or plans to betray us, not even a desire to,” Adsila added. “She doesn’t particularly like us, but other than being somewhat resigned to being humiliated occasionally, there’s no overpowering rage either.”

“She doesn’t care for her tent,” I chuckled. “But she’ll get over it. At least she doesn’t have to share with anyone.”

“Aye, well, we couldn’t risk her security by allowing anyone else access to her. Lots of people, particularly the Fae and Azura do not care for her being here,” Roxanne nodded.

“It’s under control with my sanctums,” Teali said. “They’ll behave, though it’s probably for the best that our main army under Kordanta is elsewhere. That woman created an utter abomination of a society on Old Azurana and the repercussions are still ongoing on New Azurana at times.”

“I thought you’d weeded out the old Malakha?” Xi questioned.

“We have. It’s the bully-boy Caddiysh who run gangs, try to run settlements and generally make a nuisance of themselves. We’re on top of it, but it still crops up and people get hurt.”

“My people here in the science teams know the circumstances and will not interfere with Oonagh, though some will shun her and she is being denied access to our group consensus,” Talshish added into the silence.

“We Dökkálfar have permitted her to join ours,” Birry spoke up. “We hold no great affection for the former Queen, but, it enables Saress, Neekhol and Phaleen to keep an eye on her better as we can feel her moving around.”

“I want her kept busy with training,” Roxanne instructed. “I do not want Team John to have a liability amongst them. Other than that you may do as you please with her so long as no harm or provocations come her way. I will come down heavily on any who cannot keep their desires for revenge to themselves. Plus, if they do go too far they can meet Oonagh in the fighting circle with swords and believe me, there’s no-one here, except me, who is ready to face her and I will not be anyone’s proxy. Is that clear?” she demanded.

“Yes, Mage Roxanne. We will reiterate to our people that her status is strictly hands off,” Talshish replied, getting a sign of assent from Teali.

“Good, I don’t like the woman and believe that she’s got off lightly for her crimes. But, she is an asset we need to end this war, so look after her and ensure she survives long enough to complete her task.”

“And after?” Arch asked with a wry chuckle.

“And after, she goes back to Jingol under the care of Taqual, as promised.”

“Just wanted to make that clear,” Arch replied with a grin.

“Aye, probably for the best, just in case someone here gets an idea or two on the aftermath.”

“We’ll keep a lid on it, Malakha Roxanne,” Teali acknowledged.

“Good idea getting your wives to keep an eye on her, John,” Roxanne said in an aside to me as the others filed out.

“Other than Róisín and Abi, they weren’t involved in the Mage wars and they don’t blame Oonagh for the death of Thea as that was an attack we made, not the Daoine Sidhe.”

“Aye, true. Plus it beats having to have the Yr’ch keep an eye on her,” Roxanne chuckled.

“Well, they are neutrals,” I grinned. “But I doubt Oonagh would care too much for their company.”

“I was almost tempted. But Morgana’s orders along with Verenestra’s instructions were clear; Oonagh is off limits to any petty retaliation from the likes of me and my command. I took her sword training as far as I could along that path. But now it’s time to actually train her and hope she doesn’t use it against us at a later date.”

“I told her it was to establish just who the master was and who the trainee,” I shrugged.

“Nice of you.”

“I got Imelda to heal her directly after too and have arranged for her to be there when you do spar.”

“Probably for the best, I don’t have time to be gentle.”

“I have to go introduce her to the team now.”

“Aye, off you go. Keep her safe.”


“For those who do not know, this is Oonagh. She will be joining the team as she is the only one who can operate the spell necessary to put the Vultoqi to sleep,” I introduced the former Queen to my team, including Ilzik and Lenna of the Drow, Nell and Dan the Nosferatu scouts, Adok and Szymon of the wolves and Tu’tar the Mazdani. The Mages she’d already met at lunch.

“You are the former queen of the Fae, are you not?” Tu’tar rumbled.

“I ... was, yes,” Oonagh replied nervously.

“Good fight that,” Tu’tar stated with the sign his people used instead of a nod.

“Er ... yes.”

“Not as good as the one at Myrkálfar,” Lenna stated with a grin.

“I was there for that!” Oonagh stated, thinking, I suspect, that she was being mocked.

“Yes, my people won great honour fighting yours,” Tu’tar rumbled, speaking to Lenna. “Your people also won honour there.” he turned to Oonagh. “Though mine missed your people’s charge at the Mages.”

“It is different now, there is new honour to be gained,” Lenna replied.

“I will do my best to ensure you gain it,” Oonagh replied carefully.

“You would fight for honour?” Tu’tar asked, though I noticed everyone watching intently.

“Yes, I would fight for honour. There are no paths left to me, only that one.”

“Then we shall be friends, friend Oonagh,” he replied slamming his forearm against his chest with a massive boom.

Oonagh just looked confused as I’m pretty sure she couldn’t figure out what to do next. “Friend Tu’tar,” she finally spoke with a nod towards him.

“Right,” I spoke into the silence. “The plan hasn’t changed in any respects, but I’ll go over it again for Oonagh so she knows what we intend.”

“Good idea, John,” Adok acknowledged.

“First, the Seers drop off the Dökkálfar Battalions along with Tenklar’s heavy weapon platforms, aided and assisted by Athena, to draw out the adelshaut defenders. Athena is pretty sure that, if her presence is known, they’ll come out en-masse.”

“Have we prepared a site for them?” Lenna asked.

“Our Maraú-Uxuí allies will have planted mines and claymores as well as digging the defensive trenches along with weaving several webs designed to force the adelshaut into killing zones. This won’t, however, last forever. Once the adelshaut are in maximum numbers, Athena will close off their portals, isolating them from the echtra. Her group will then withdraw through a Seer portal to safety.”

“Estimated casualties?” Ilzik asked in a quiet voice.

“Ours, as high as ten percent, possibly more,” I replied.

“Damn!” from Kate.

“This is high?” from Oonagh.

“For a diversion, yes,” Nell nodded. “The adelshaut are a formidable foe if they close.”

“Can you not keep them at a distance?”

“Not and expect a diversion to work.”

“You are that desperate?”

“Yes,” I replied, getting nods off all my team.

“I have power, perhaps I could help?” she asked.

“Thank you, but no. You aren’t going to be put into a situation where you could be killed before you set off the deceitful weapon.”

“I could save lives.”

“I know, but thank you, no. The mission comes first.”

“Agreed,” Adsila stated. “Your offer is appreciated, but Athena can probably do more than you ... or any of us.”

“Right,” Oonagh sighed.

“It was an honourable offer,” Tu’tar commiserated.

“Agreed,” Adok nodded along with the rest of the team.

“Step two,” I began again. “The Allied Earth Command, along with our Yr’ch allies, will portal in and make a drive towards the echtra boundary. This is to draw the remaining adelshaut towards them in defence of the patripure leadership. This is where we expect the high casualties. They will be desperate to stop us and we do not know how many adelshaut will remain.”

“How high?” Szymon asked.

“Could be as high as seventy percent. They have to drive forward into the adelshaut which means the adelshaut will be able to mix it up with them.”

“That is bad, John.”

“I know and some of ‘the people’, including Marja, will be with them,” I replied with a nod.

“I can send out a howl of requirement,” Adok offered. “Many would answer the call.”

“I will ask Roxanne,” I acknowledged.

“I’m sure more Dökkálfar could be found,” Esira broke in.

“Not trained in modern weapons, Esira,” I countered. “They’d need them against an adelshaut. The Dökkálfar poison will not work against a Vultoqi.”

“This is much worse than you originally told us, friend John,” Nell replied.

“The time for sugar coating has ended, friend Nell,” I sighed. “The quicker we can get to the patripure, the quicker this will end.”

“I agree, friend John,” she nodded as the Drow and Tu’tar echoed the friend John response.

“To that end Roxanne has requested more of your people, Tu’tar,” I added. “She intends to lead them into the fray.”

“Many will come. Word of her prowess has reached many ears and glory is sure to follow!” he rumbled in reply, pride shining from his face.

“Pity you’ll be with us then,” Clara added with a sly smile on her face, causing Tu’tar to give out a rumbling laugh.

“There will be enough glory in the success of our mission, friend Clara.”

“Yes, friend Tu’tar, yes, there will.”

“The final act will be us,” I resumed. “Our job is to sneak into the echtra from the opposite side to where the attack takes place, find the patripure and get close enough for Oonagh to take them out.”

“Will they all be together?” Oonagh asked.

“Don’t know. That’s why we have Adsila with us.”

“What if it doesn’t work?”

“We operate the ‘go to hell’ plan. Pull everyone we can out and have a rethink. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen though as it requires a sacrificial rear-guard.”

“Let’s hope it all works then,” she replied in a quiet voice.

“Indeed,” Adsila added.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.