Mage - Cover

Mage

Copyright© 2018 by QM

Chapter 91

“This is the last major stronghold of the TechnoYr’ch on Draenoric,” Crnnch announced, pointing out a series of buildings in a well-defended complex. “So far they haven’t caused us any issues with our expansion plans. However, yesterday they sent us a communique saying we should remove our operations from Transvic. It is where we are aiding a group of surviving Athenian Yr’ch and helping them expand our influence over the area.”

“Have we replied?” Brnnt asked.

“Yes, we told them of the survivors and hence our interests. They have not replied, but Chakra’s satellite surveillance has picked up what appears to be an armed column leaving the complex on a direct heading to the enclave.”

“Will you need help getting troops to the site?” Roxanne asked.

“Yes, we will. Thank you.”

“Might just be a reconnaissance patrol, but you can’t take a chance on something like that.”

“I agree, Mage Rahksahn. We don’t want trouble down there as it’s rather isolated from our main areas of operation. But, as followers of Ar-Thenna, we have an obligation to protect her people.”

“At least give them a chance to explain themselves,” Brnnt requested. “If they are unfriendly, then on their own heads be it.”

“I will inform sub-Adept Tenklar to be diplomatic,” Crnnch nodded.

“Will you need the Athenian volunteers?” Roxanne asked.

“They are the ones trained by your Mazzdanni?”

“Yes. Very effective close quarter shock troops. Ideal for street fighting,” Roxanne nodded.

“If you don’t need them on Vultoq, then yes, please, as I do not wish to involve our allies in what should be a purely Yr’ch operation.”

“Yes, we understand.”

“It would be useful to have a Battalion on standby though,” Fumel added.

“That we can do. All operations on Vultoq are on hold whilst we come up with a plan to deal with them once and for all. Well, other than search and destroy missions on their ongoing portal research, most of which is being done by our allies, the Maraú-Uxuí.”

“Yes, we agree. Confrontations are just too costly for our side if the Vultoqi can close with us, though they have not used those plasma hammers again ... thanks be to Ar-Thenna,” Crnnch nodded.

“Yes, they were a nasty surprise. Though just as dangerous to their own as well.”

“Yes, Rahksahn, they were. Although I believe your Seers have a defence now?”

“They believe so, but it’s untested.”

“We appreciate your efforts to keep us safe. We are, frankly, not up to defending Draenoric as yet,” Brnnt added.

“Athena will help there; she doesn’t want the Vultoqi here anymore than you do.”

“True, though she expects us to help ourselves, such as in this case.”

“Aye, if you don’t learn to do it yourselves, you’ll never grow.”


Tenklar watched nervously as the armoured column approached the city of Transvic. Clearly the TechnoYr’ch had been doing some thinking and modifications to the armoured weapon vehicle concept. The approaching vehicles reminded him more of the image of a tank that their human allies had once showed him.

“Send out a call that they halt and declare their intentions,” he ordered the Land-boss in charge of the forward defence.

“By your command, sub-Adept.”

One of Tenklar’s armoured weapon carriers moved out from cover to intercept the column, placing itself directly in its path and waved a rod of communication, a signal which the Yr’ch used to request to speak between differing MilitaryYr’ch units.

Three separate plasma bolts lanced out from the column, which was now spreading out, totally vaporising the weapon platform, signalling the clear intent of the TechnoYr’ch to invade and conquer Transvic. This was followed up by a hail of fire being directed towards Tenklar’s dug-in positions as the TechnoYr’ch vehicles in the rear began disgorging grunts to continue their advance.

“How many grunts?” Tenklar asked as plasma bolts tore into the positions his troops maintained, killing a few but not as yet causing too many problems.

“Forward observation posts put their numbers at about five thousand, all shielded and toting upgraded plasma weapons,” the Land-boss replied.

“Use the Jarrvellinz our allies gave us against the lead vehicles. Let’s see how they like being too exposed.”

“By your command.”

Twenty seconds later a Javelin missile shot out from a strongpoint and slammed into one of the TechnoYr’ch weapon carriers, flipping it over and most likely killing its crew, but, due to the shielding, leaving the vehicle otherwise mostly undamaged.

This produced a mass of fire accurately aimed at the Javelin’s launch site, though not killing any Yr’ch as they’d already moved away.

Yet more Javelins shot out to hit the exposed TechnoYr’ch weapon carriers and caused several to be flipped and others to slowly pull back to cover even as their infantry advanced to try and get in amongst the defenders of Transvic. This however exposed them to the weapons of the blesséd of Athena who were able to shoot from cover, causing the attackers to dig in as even with shields they were taking casualties due to the volume of fire.

“I don’t think whoever’s in charge over there has thought this attack through,” Tenklar mused out loud, as it was apparent that the entire attack had stalled for the moment.

“They simply do not have the numbers to threaten this position, sub-Adept,” the Land-boss opined.

“No, the armoured weapon platforms they have would be troublesome in an open-field battle, but not against dug-in troops who have the means to hit back,” Tenklar nodded. “The only way they could take us is if they had a full horde, even then their casualties would be horrendous. Seems as if Ar-Thenna was correct and the TechnoYr’ch will wither on the vine.”

“Let us hope so, sub-Adept. It looks like they are withdrawing, though they cannot, it seems, right the vehicles we hit.”

At this point there was a massive flash behind them and the world seemed to slow down before both Tenklar and the Land-boss were thrown forward by a massive blast back in the city itself, both losing consciousness.


“What happened?” Roxanne demanded of the Seers.

“The TechnoYr’ch used a cloaked sled to set off a nuclear weapon in Transvic when it became apparent that they could not win by force of arms,” Melanie replied.

“Casualties?”

“In the city itself almost 90%. We’re treating the very few survivors for massive burns and radiation poisoning. The forces we had arrayed were protected somewhat by the Mages we had stationed on their weapon platforms to give them some shielding from the Vultoqi mental attacks and fortunately hadn’t been withdrawn by us for this mission. Only four hundred and seven perished, though injuries were severe amongst the infantry troops not in their trenches. No Mages were severely injured, though all suffered flash damage, but managed to hold their shields over the area long enough to protect our Yr’ch from major casualties. Our medic teams and Athena’s Theurgists are there now, healing the wounded.”

“Bastards!”

“Yes, Mage Roxanne. Though the survivors from our Yr’ch fought off another attack by that armoured column, despite their shock at what had happened.”

“Aye, good for them. What of the TechnoYr’ch?”

“They withdrew in good order once they realised they could not breach our defences. None of our forces were in a condition to pursue.”

“We’ll discuss a response in the meeting, though I suspect Athena might opt for a ‘Wrath of God’ style incident ... if she’s allowed to.”

At this point several of the Yr’ch ruling council arrived, many looking pale and shocked, to attend the emergency meeting called to discuss the incident. Melanie went through the description of the incident and where the forces of Athena currently stood before the floor was thrown open.

“Do we know just how or where they got the weapon from?” Crnnch asked first.

“Many of the city states in the past had such weapons,” the hologram of Chakra replied. “They were all supposedly destroyed after the planetary conquest by Draenor. But it’s possible some might have survived, or at least the information to build one.”

“We should be thankful they could not figure out how to do it with one of the fusion generators,” Slaarg added.

“Too many safeguards built in to the existing ones, yes,” Crnnch nodded. “Plus getting the parts for a new one would be difficult.”

“I would not have thought getting the parts for a nuclear weapon to be any too easy either,” Seekta added.

“No, but if they had an existing one...” Slaarg countered.

“True.”

There was a flicker as Athena and Gregorius arrived, all the Yr’ch standing to greet her with an arm to the chest and a bowed head.

“Relax my children,” she stated. “We have much to discuss.”

“How goes the healing down in Transvic?” Roxanne asked.

“It goes well. Anyone we found alive was able to be healed or held in stasis until a Mage expert or one of my Theurgists could get to them. Also the clean-up is going on apace. That was a very dirty bomb as both your races see it and much has been put into orbit on a trajectory to the sun.”

“A response is called for, my Goddess,” Crnnch stated.

“I realise this. It’s why I’m here, to see what you wish and advise on probable outcomes.”

“We’ve heard nothing from the TechnoYr’ch complex since the atrocity. Their column has returned, though the Unbroken caught the tail end of it in an ambush and destroyed several vehicles,” Roxanne informed the group.

“I suspect they realise some form of retaliation is coming, though what they hoped to gain is anyone’s guess. They would have had to have known we’d come for them either way,” Fumel noted.

“We have them under constant observation. There have been no attempts to evacuate, though their shield has been increased in power by several magnitudes,” Melanie informed them.

“Powerful enough to deflect an orbital strike?” Crnnch asked.

“Yes, up to the size of one that would invariably destroy the planet.”

“Can this shield be broken or breached?”

“Yes,” Athena answered for Melanie. “I can do it. Now, what do you want done?”

“As tempting as it is to ask our Goddess to kill them all, there will undoubtedly be some innocents amongst the Orcs there,” Crnnch stated thoughtfully.

“Agreed, there will be,” Seekta replied, backing him up and getting a few nods from the Yr’ch around the table.

“Yes, Seekta. Much as my blood burns for revenge, I would wish only the guilty to face the wrath of our Goddess or our people,” Kurl nodded.

“Can we separate them though?” Fumel asked.

“I believe we can,” Gregorius spoke up.

“Then an example will need to be made of the guilty as a warning to all who would use such terrible weapons against the Yr’ch race and the followers of Ar-Thenna,” Crnnch replied gravely.

“I am proud of you, my children,” Athena stated, giving them all a glorious smile.

“Thank you, Ar-Thenna,” they all replied, a few looking confused.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.