Mage
Chapter 54

Copyright© 2018 by QM

It was the first Council meeting I’d attended with my Mage since she’d retired. Also alongside me was Mage Elizabeth, who was doing the stuff I would normally do if I weren’t working on the expedition facing the Orcs ... and now the Vultoqi.

“Do you have any further explanations as to how the Vultoqi emerged from this temple after you ... desecrated it?” Mage Sofya asked.

“Other than suspecting that somehow the urine sprayed by the wolves dissolved a ward, no,” Roxanne replied.

“Disconcerting,” Sofya nodded with a wry expression.

“Believe me, had we known, we’d have attacked elsewhere.”

“Yes, I believe you. But it is what it is.”

“So far, our powers appear to match those of the adelshaut or foot-soldiers and the technology we use matches, and can deal with, their ghosin,” Roxanne added.

“What of these bug things?” Mage Cixi asked.

“The Orc records call them troichin; they’re usually unleashed just before an attack by the adelshaut. We believe the eggs are an energy source, possibly for the patripure leadership, but so far have no evidence for this,” Mage Kyra replied.

“Bug spray?” Mage Tara asked.

“Working on it, but these are very tough creatures to take down with poisons. Physical weapons like claymores and Mage powers appear to work best.”

“Massed firepower of some kind then?” Morgana asked.

“Yes, though we don’t really have the numbers for that ... yet,” Kyra acknowledged.

“I believe we do need to increase our numbers, particularly the defenders,” Mage Sofya added thoughtfully. “Especially if, eventually, we take the fight to them.”

“I agree,” Morgana nodded.

“I believe I may have a solution to this,” Verenestra spoke from where she was sitting next to Ambassador Jolint.

“Please go on, Queen Verenestra,” Simon responded politely.

“I have several thousand Dökkálfar or Drow who wish to serve to expiate their past. They wish to fight the Vultoqi and their creatures and beg leave of this Council to do so.”

“This may well be the death of them,” Mage Zola replied with a frown.

“I agree, however their desire to wash the past away is causing issues for Regent Taqual and may lead to issues on the isle of Jingol,” Verenestra replied.

“I could certainly find uses for them,” Roxanne added thoughtfully.

“Assuming we could equip them with modern arms,” Morgana put in.

“Leadership would also be needed,” Verenestra added.

“Leadership?” Simon asked with a puzzled expression. “Do they not have their own?”

“The Dökkálfar psyche is ... complex. They fought under Dökkálfar leaders and lost. To fight under them again risks failure. They need to fight under a proven winner.”

“I believe Mage Roxanne readily fills that role,” Morgana answered.

“Roxanne is leading the expedition. She should not do both,” Verenestra countered.

“Very well,” Morgana replied after a thoughtful pause. “Do you have any suggestions?”

“They would fight under the banner of the victor of Myrkálfar?”

“No! Additionally, hell no!”

“Then her second in command, Mage Arch,” Verenestra added with a cheeky grin to show she had been baiting Morgana.

“Better,” Morgana chuckled.

“How many Drow?” Sofya asked with a smile at the byplay.

“Five thousand, under a leader called Brinont, along with the herald to Regent Taqual, called Quruth,” Verenestra explained.

“That’s a lot of Drow,” Mage Liang mused.

“Pretty much all the fighting Dökkálfar who surrendered and who haven’t been accepted into the Royal Guard.”

“Mage Roxanne, in your opinion, how well would the Drow do against the Vultoqi?” Mage Tara asked.

“Assuming we could come up with a way of deadening the sound of their footsteps, very well indeed, if they have access to modern arms and armour,” Roxanne replied thoughtfully.

“They would be useful in proving that our Alliance technology and magic will be proof against this new enemy, should the need arise to commit our own forces,” Morgana added, musing.

“As is likely, sooner or later,” Ambassador Kordanta added for Murias.

“Agreed,” Ambassador Mergna assented.

“The Æsir have no objection to this expansion,” Ambassador Snorrison nodded.

“The Coalition would also like to know how effective this force could be,” Mage Edward added.

“Having fought the Drow, very effective I can assure you,” Roxanne replied.

“Does anyone on the Council of the Wise have anything to add?” Simon asked.

There were no hands or voices raised from the assembled Mages, though there were several frowns and thoughtful expressions.

“The motion is that the expedition against the Orcs and now the Vultoqi be increased with a Dökkálfar army under the command of Mage Arch.”

“Proposed,” Morgana exclaimed.

“Seconded,” from Sofya.

“Vote carried unanimously,” Simon eventually stated. “No abstentions. Mage Morgana, could I ask you to take oversight of the Dökkálfar on this side of our universes?”

“Of course, Mage Simon. I’ll liaise with Queen Verenestra and Regent Taqual within a day to sort out any needs the Dökkálfar have with regard to modern equipment.”

“Thank you, my friend,” Simon nodded.


“Naughty,” Morgana admonished Verenestra as the two ladies, along with Roxanne, Elizabeth and myself, sat in her office with a few drinks and snacks.

“Couldn’t resist,” Verenestra chuckled, making us all smile.

“Any known issues with your Drow,” Morgana asked.

“Hard core of about 50 potential troublemakers,” Verenestra replied, handing Roxanne a memory crystal. “That’s the known ones for Arch to peruse.”

“No doubt Arch will sort them out in short order,” Roxanne chuckled.

“Him and Brinont,” Verenestra acknowledged. “I suspect they both have an intolerance for indiscipline.”

“Well, Arch did help write a lot of the handbook on medieval warfare and has kept his hand in quite well in the intervening years,” Morgana nodded.

“I’ll send a couple of my trainers along as well, both ex-US Marine corps, Gunnies ... I believe they are called.”

“Ouch, hate to go up against them, even with magic on my side,” I chuckled.

“They both generally wear Null medallions when training and not one of my elite Royal Guards have yet to take them out in hand to hand combat,” Verenestra commented. “I would ask a favour of you though, John?”

“Yes, Verry?” I replied, using the informal name she insisted on in private amongst friends.

“Could you restore their youth along with their partners as both have stated a desire to remain in Keldravan to train my Fae and Dökkálfar in modern tactics.”

“With my Mage’s permission, yes, Verry. It would be a pleasure,” I replied, seeing Morgana’s nod.

“Thank you, they are really lovely people and have helped no end in bringing the Fae army up to modern standards.”

“Not Mages though?”

“Not yet, they have too much to do without adding that burden to their lives,” Verenestra replied with a smile. “Sooner or later though they’ll advise a potential replacement or addition and I’ll ask permission then.”

“Yes, a 120-year sabbatical is asking a bit much,” I chuckled, seeing a few grins.

“Probably closer to 60, John,” Morgana replied. “They’ll still be journeymen, but able to continue doing both by then.”

“True,” Elizabeth nodded.

“How’s the school idea going?” Roxanne asked her, changing the subject.

“Next year. We’ve got the buildings and I have some staff, former teachers who are Mages mostly, and a few enquiries from eager parents,” she replied with a smile.

“Mark down?” I asked.

“Yes, Róisín was almost the first to ask,” she nodded.

“Bet you I know who was first,” I chuckled, glancing at Morgana.

“Well, she does work for me,” Morgana laughed.

“How are you working the time zones?” Roxanne asked.

“Twelve buildings in various parts of the globe,” Elizabeth explained. “It’s not like the Council doesn’t have the money to cover the teaching costs.”

“Mage teachers? I didn’t know we had any that would be interested.”

“Yes, from various exclusive schools and colleges, a few of them pregnant or with infants too. I also don’t think discipline will be an issue either,” Elizabeth replied with a grin.

“With Mage teachers? Hardly,” I chuckled.

“So, will you be implanting knowledge direct?” Roxanne queried.

“Yes, though only as is consistent with their age. Much of what will be taught is putting the knowledge into context,” Elizabeth replied.

“Seems smart. I doubt John’s son, Mark, will need higher physics any time soon.”

“Probably not, but he’ll undoubtedly get it before he’s made emergent,” Elizabeth nodded.

“Are we setting dates on that?”

“Sixteen at the earliest,” Morgana replied. “Or rather the end of the school term when they’re sixteen. They should have a very good fundamental education and cope with some of the foundations of spell operation far more easily than a naturally emerged Mage. Some may have to wait for siblings, though only if there’s only a couple of year’s gap. Mostly in Ketty and Niras’s case.”

“Yes, it was amazing how little of the basics of science I knew when I emerged,” I chuckled.

“Aye, and it was worse, the further back you went,” Roxanne agreed with a grin.

“Tell me about it,” Morgana added with her own smile. “There was no such thing as science in Duntagell where I was born, only priests and a few select others learned to even read.”

“I assume you learned quickly enough after you emerged?” I queried.

“Yes, though I had bigger problems,” Morgana replied with a grimace.

“Sorry, my Mage. I know it’s an area you try to avoid.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.