Mage
Chapter 43

Copyright© 2018 by QM

The encampment was fairly quiet this day, in that my team were stood down for rest and relaxation whilst several of the others were out making a nuisance of themselves on Vultoq, adding to the already inherent stresses on the Orc regime. Of the Inquisitor we’d seen no sign, though the Orcs were industriously repairing the damage he’d done as well as bringing in a military horde to replace those whom he had killed.

The Seeker, though, continued to keep his staff busy gathering evidence, though with the Seers policing the evidence, there wasn’t a lot for them to find, except when we’d messed up, which was unusual for us.

Still, for all we were off duty, that didn’t stop us examining the results of our sabotage and going over any information or data we’d uncovered. all off duty groups were represented, Humans, Drow, Gorgons, Mazdani, Nosferatu and the wolves.

“This might make a good target,” I announced as we all sat round in the canteen tent drinking coffee and various other beverages to suit our tastes.

“Small temple in Grmmar, wherever that is,” Elpida mused, picking up my notes to study.

“North China basically, near Peking ... ish.”

“Why a small temple, why not the main one?” Ilzik asked, whilst sipping fruit juice as he couldn’t stand the taste of coffee, few if any Fae could, though he didn’t mind the smell of it.

“Supposedly where Beog first set foot on Vultoq when he came to smite the Vultoqi,” I replied. “Hence of great religious significance, if somewhat in neglect.”

“So, where this Beog set foot is just a mouldy old temple?” Clara asked.

“Yes, because the Orcs work to a plan, each world being more or less the same, hence no great metropolis has laid claim to the site,” I shrugged.

“And they don’t do pilgrimages or tourism?” Kate questioned.

“Also true,” I replied, adding thoughtfully, “but, with an Inquisitor in ‘residence’, hitting a religious target strikes me as a golden opportunity to humiliate him again.”

“Especially if we clear Vultoq by finding the Orbs and releasing its Higher Powers, then the site will be scrubbed clean anyway,” Ilzik nodded.

“Congratulations on getting Lenna to accept your courtship offer,” I said, changing the subject.

“Esira goaded her into it,” he chuckled, indicating his sister who was looking over a few notes with Callum.

“I did not have to goad her,” she giggled. “I just pointed out that she had gained the trust and confidence of Mage Roxanne as an equal in status to you for missions and she should accept your offer as an equal.”

“She managed that, months ago,” Ilzik shrugged.

“Trying to be better, but that’s difficult with the Orcs as they’re all difficult tasks, no matter how well we pull them off,” I nodded.

“Well, it’s official now, brother, so no more sneaking off into the bush cloaked for clandestine meetings with her,” Esira laughed, making Ilzik blush ... probably.

“That was her desire. She still feels as if she is under a cloud, as you humans say, for supporting our old leadership and felt my Father might reject her,” Ilzik explained to us.

“Well, Father approved,” Esira nodded. “Not too surprising as it’s a pretty good political match of the old and the new.”

“Yes, though that’s not why I chose her ... and vice versa, I believe.”

“I know, brother. It’s those damned sexy ears,” Esira laughed, joined seconds later by Ilzik.

“Well, they are sexy. But she’s also very smart too, hence my choice,” he finally replied as we all grinned at the banter between the pair. “Just need to sort you out, my sister.”

“Tradition states you must be affianced first, Ilz.”

“It also states that you must remain pure and chaste too,” he chuckled, glancing at me and making me blush.

“Meh, that’s boring. Besides it’s a tradition upheld more in the breach these days than the observance,” she laughed.

“That’s true, though I believe Lenna to be untouched,” he replied.

“True enough,” I added. “She told us on our first mission she was staying that way for her intended.”

“Well, you’ll soon cure her of that, brother,” Esira giggled.

“Once the ceremony of intention is completed, no doubt. But not till then.”

“Ceremony of intention?” Kate asked.

“We say our intent before friends and family and commit forever. With we Drow it was easy enough as we weren’t forced into arranged marriages, with our skill set that would have been a recipe for disaster as you say. With the other Fae it was often done with just the intendeds and the family heads ... at a distance and at sword point.” Esira explained.

“Bit easier now, all they have to do is petition Verenestra for a divorce. It’s resolved an awful lot of issues, I’m told,” Elpida added.

“It has, Elpida. Once the noble houses were dead set against it, now with many of the heads having divorced themselves, it would be political suicide to propose our Queen’s declared right to do so be repealed,” Ilzik agreed.

“So, when can you do this ceremony?” Clara asked.

“Next leave.”

“Just Drow?”

“No ... but no humans have ever been in a position to attend one with my people,” Ilzik replied thoughtfully.

“We’re your friends, aren’t we?” I asked.

“Yes, you all are. Yes, I would be honoured and so no doubt would Lenna if you attended.”

“Just make sure you have enough room for my partners,” I chuckled.

“There will be enough room in the Regent’s palace on Jingol,” he nodded. “There is however a favour I’d like to ask?” he added thoughtfully.

“Go on,” I replied with a smile.

“The intendeds are supposed to be escorted by a bodyguard each who may be called to fight if someone objects to their choice. Lenna is not popular in some circles, for her allegiance to the Queen and rejection of the old ways.”

“You need a bodyguard?”

“Yes, neither I nor Lenna will be permitted to duel and should my bodyguard lose ... or hers, though she is unlikely to be challenged, then the marriage is called off and I publicly renounce her and accept my humiliation ... as well as humiliating her.”

“I can see generational blood feuds developing from a tradition like that,” I said, stunned.

“Oh yes. It’s not supposed to, but it has, then again, it’s unusual for a bodyguard to lose. But Lenna is too big a target for the traditionalists to not attempt to humiliate my Father over.”

“Well, if you need a bodyguard, I know just the man,” I chuckled.

“Who?”

“Tu’tar, would you escort my friend Ilzik on his declaration day and deal with any minor inconveniences who may intend to spoil it for him?” I asked the Mazdani who was sitting quietly examining his weaponry for any sign of damage, despite it not having been used recently as well as having been examined the day before.

“I would be honoured, friend Ilzik,” he rumbled.

“Oh, my,” Esira giggled.

“Too true,” Ilzik added with a broad smile. “They’d have to be insane to try it on with him.”

“Don’t count out utter lunacy,” I warned. “Just make sure Tu’tar isn’t announced in advance as your bodyguard to prevent them coming up with some form of attempt to overcome him.”

“I won’t. It’s not a requirement,” he replied with an evil grin.

“If necessary, brother, allude that it will be me. Which might just flush out an attempt by the real objectors if they attempt to humiliate our house,” Esira added.

“I will kill any who attempt to humiliate my friends,” Tu’tar rumbled.

“How many attempts are allowed?” I asked out of curiosity.

“Just the one, but if there are a plethora of challenges, they must decide who will take up arms from amongst them,” Ilzik replied.

“Whilst your Father takes note of just who dares?”

“Oh yes, John,” Esira chuckled. “It’s why it’s not often done.”

“Can’t imagine Verenestra being any too happy either,” Kate mused.

“The attempt will be made to infuriate, embarrass and humiliate as many as possible. Probably to demonstrate that those holding to the old ways still have power,” Ilzik replied.

“I could request to fight them all?” Tu’tar enquired.

There was silence as Ilzik and his sister looked at each other thoughtfully.

“It would depend on how many challenge I guess...” Esira mused.

“Numbers matter little to me. Ability is what counts and I doubt any of these Drow will have faced the likes of me. Whereas I spar with you and your teams regularly and know your strengths and weaknesses,” he rumbled.

“True,” Ilzik chuckled.

“Plus, I will wear an anti-cloak amulet.”

“They would not dare,” Ilzik replied.

“Wouldn’t they, brother?” Esira countered.

“I ... I do not know, Father has driven them far away from the power they once had and they may attempt some sort of foolishness. But a cloaked attack? That would be insane, there is no way their family and clan could survive such an event.”

“Yet all in power will be gathered in one place on Jingol where the traditionalists can get at them,” Esira replied thoughtfully. “Plus, they may try to use a dupe from a loyal house.

“Best warn your Father,” I added.

“I’m sure he will have considered it, but yes, it can do no harm to send a warning,” she nodded.

“I’ll get Arwen to warn her mother as well,” Callum added.

“Yes, I rather doubt she’ll be happy at any sort of attempt to ruin Ilzik’s day,” I chuckled.

“She tends to frown a bit at attempted coups and rebellions as well,” Clara added with a sly smile.

“Oh yes, does get a tad upset,” Kate laughed.

“Yes, the Daoine Sidhe rebel groups are finding that out at the minute after attempting to get Clarence to the Orcs. She was perfectly prepared to permit their existence, so long as they didn’t act, once they did though, that sealed their fate,” I agreed.

“Very old school on that,” Xi said as she plonked herself down at our table.

“She is, believes in keeping the cost of attempting and failing to be commensurate with a death sentence, not just at a personal level, but the entire house,” I agreed. “Hi Xi, how are things going in your section?”

“Good, John, thank you. Finally got Pugard to open up when Athena’s not around.”

“Good news indeed,” I replied.

“Means we can permit him out of his cell and into the general encampment,” she added.

“Well, it’s not like he could escape anyway,” I shrugged.

“Not with the Seers keeping an eye on him, no,” she agreed. “An additional suggestion would be to get Lenna to request Roxanne as her bodyguard,” she added after being brought up to speed.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.