My Name Is Ed - Cover

My Name Is Ed

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 43

The drive back to Maurine’s house we uneventful. It was a short drive, so it was around midnight when I pulled the Soul into her drive way.

“I was trying to figure a way to invite you into the house. I know you don’t drink alcohol, but I make pretty good coffee,” Maurine said.

“I never turn down a cup of coffee this time of night. I have to drive home, so it will help me stay awake,” I said.

“What was that a hint?” Maurine asked.

“No, not at all.” I should have had some witty reply ready, but the whole thing caught me by surprise.

“I didn’t mean to imply that you did,” she said.

“You know, lets just start over from he beginning. I really enjoy your company. You are a bit younger and that appeals to me as well,” I explained. “I expect there are a lot of things we are going to see differently, but that could be a good thing. That is if we talk it through not just jump to conclusions,” I explained. She had been making coffee during my little speech. I chose to sit at the kitchen table while she worked.

“I think that is an excellent idea,” Maurine said.

“Maurine did you ever have a nickname?” I asked.

“My dad and my uncles used to call me little Mo. There was someone famous called Big Mo. I guess they chose it because my name kind of sounded like Mo,” she said.

“I remember that nickname. He was a baseball player from the old days, I think,” I said it with a laugh.

“If he was from the old days, you should be sure,” she said. “And yes I’m joking about you being older than me. You are older, but you have seen and done more than I have as well.”

“Nah, it was just more years of being bored and learning nothing,” I said.

“You seem to be doing fine. You are obviously the leader of that do good-er gang,” she said.

“Well I’m not the leader of anything, but you are right we are a gang of four of five people who are trying to make a difference. That was Lucinda’s idea though not mine. I have been drifting from one thing to another since I retired. Just trying not to be too bored. At least not so bored I put a bullet in my brain.” I explained.

“Don’t do that. At least not until I get to know you better,” Mo said.

“If you want to get to know me get ready for some boring conversations. There just isn’t anything about me worth knowing. Tonight you met just about all my interesting friends,” I explained.

“It is actually pretty good that you have that many interesting friends. The only person I consider interesting in my life is Eddie,” she said.

“Okay, so what are you doing with your time since Eddie is away at school?” I asked.

“Like you said, trying not to become an alcoholic,” she said. “Speaking of which would it bother you if I had a drink?”

“No not at all. Ninety five percent of people can drink the occasional glass of wine or a mixed drink and never have a problem. The other are like me. We are just wired wrong, so it becomes impossible to stop at a safe place,” I admitted.

“Fortunately I can still stop at one, or two glasses of wine. I’ll keep an eye out for signs that I can no longer do that. Then I’ll join you at the meetings,” she said.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.